Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,203 members, 7,887,531 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:12 AM

What Kind Of Snake Is This - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Kind Of Snake Is This (41065 Views)

Scientists Discover Pencil-Sized Species Of Snake, Hiding In Plain Sight (Pics) / A Wild Albino Camel In China, First Of Its Kind, Caught On Camera (Pics) / Can Snake Climb Wall? What Specie Of Snake Is This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by kowalsky: 5:32am On Jun 01
Halo22:
It's Puff adder.... It's called "echi eteka" in my language. Once it bites, except for the application of a strong anti-venomous treatment, the victim might die within few hours.

Not a puff. And the venom of this snake is only moderately toxic to humans. You won't die.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by kowalsky: 5:33am On Jun 01
ViceGovernor:
That looks like a saw scaled viper (male)
You can tell by how dark the colour is the males usually have a darker skin tone than the females and a very distinct V shape on the head.
If you get close to it, it rubs the scales on the skin against each other to make the sound of a saw cutting wood and it has a very loud hiss.
If after those two warnings you don’t turn around they will strike repeatedly up to 12 times and each time they inject a certain milligram of hemotoxic venom which is enough to kill 20 full grown horses.

β€” Do you know that Mambas, Cobras and Vipers are the most lethal serpents and all 3 can be found in no other continent but in Africa

This is folklore. Pound for pound Most venomous serpents leave in Australia. Inland Taipan. Tiger snake.

This is a night adder. And its venom is not usually fatal to humans.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by kowalsky: 5:36am On Jun 01
Achoghim:
It's a Gaboon viper. Very deadly. In Igbo, it is called "echi eteka" (tomorrow is too far), which implies that the venom kills almost instantly.

Gaboons are distinctly dissimilar from this with a chunkier build, bigger head and very very distinct body pattern. They're a very unique type of snake.

This is a night adder with a less toxic venom compared to that of the Gaboon viper.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Charlie2020(f): 6:48am On Jun 01
DoctorAyukebot:
That right there looks like Echis ocellatus, the West African Carpet viper. Last year I did some research work with it's venom. Hoping to find some success for it's use in high blood pressure. Its relative, the Brazilian viper Bothrops jararaca from which the nonapeptide Teprotide was isolated in the eighties led to the first ACEI drug for high blood pressure
The kind of response that's very educative. Kudos doc. Are you a consultant cardiologist or pathologist?
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by onlinestaff247: 8:05am On Jun 01
ArcSEMPECJ:

And how many snakes have had their way with your girlfriends or sisters?

Pls give the Psychiatric Doctor his phone....
small test to know if you are better, you just failed.....

If you don't have anything to say, swerve Otondo.

When I stated my opinion, did I direct it to anybody?

It's you who need to be admitted in a psychiatrist hospital because I can deduce that your problem is to attack and castigate people on this forum.

Small rodent like you.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Zeuslord(m): 9:01am On Jun 01
Kill everything snake.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by OKOATA(m): 11:31am On Jun 01
Onyiiobi7735:
The snake is a species of night adder,,any of of seven species of vipers of the genus Causus.
They are all endemic to Africa and the only African vipers that lay eggs.
Others give birth to their hatchlings alive.
They possess cytotoxic venom which destroys cells and tissues.
Most vipers possess highly potent haemotoxic venom.
A few like the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake are extremely venomous with neurotoxic venom.
I found some eggs inside it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Onyiiobi7735(m): 12:23pm On Jun 01
OKOATA:
I found some eggs inside it.
The species is egg laying or oviparous.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 12:23pm On Jun 01
So no way you guys could revive him?
What about tying his legs or the around the spot the snake bite him?
rinzaugustine:
Rattle snake or viper.. killed one of my friends 20 years ago because Nigeria doesn’t have ordinary anti venoms in hospitals unlike civilized countries
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 12:24pm On Jun 01
How did they administer the crude oil and leaves?
SpartanJ:
Haaa

This snake is deadly.

It almost killed a guy I know. He survived with the help of a locally antidote - crude oil and some leaves....

The part that freaks me about the snake is that it also jumps when attacking a prey or target.

It's commonly found around swampy areas in Lagos and Ogun States.

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 12:26pm On Jun 01
Hello.
How can we revive ourselves if bitten by a snake?
minato12:

That's a gabon viper, Yoruba calls it Paramole, it s fangs are very curved, this snake has a very short tail and a robust body, it's very good at camouflaging in the short bushes, it's poisonous, but it's poison it's slow to take effect, it can be easily subdued
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 12:28pm On Jun 01
What kind of hospital?
How many days did he/she spend there?
Chinif:
we spent 50k then, I think the snake is nonvenom, I have killed that snake several times.

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:29pm On Jun 01
onlinestaff247:

If you don't have anything to say, swerve Otondo.

When I stated my opinion, did I direct it to anybody?

It's you who need to be admitted in a psychiatrist hospital because I can deduce that your problem is to attack and castigate people on this forum.

Small rodent like you.

The enemy runs when no one is pursuing him....
Changing the status quo of the bible that Eve has sex with the serpent is not castigation to you
If it where to be Islam, dint you know you would have been stoned to death for blasphemy..

Be guided ..... don't come here exhibiting childish hormones ...
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by fuellessgen: 1:00pm On Jun 01
deltateam:

Very easy to mention. I doubt you can find Anaconda in Nigeria. I doubt further you know what Anaconda is.

I doubt you have a sense of humor. 😁
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by onlinestaff247: 2:18pm On Jun 01
ArcSEMPECJ:

The enemy runs when no one is pursuing him....
Changing the status quo of the bible that Eve has sex with the serpent is not castigation to you
If it where to be Islam, dint you know you would have been stoned to death for blasphemy..

Be guided ..... don't come here exhibiting childish hormones ...

You're nothing but a religious bigot.
White man's religion has finished white washing your wasped mini brain, Ozuor.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Mazzkenny: 2:21pm On Jun 01
Rhombic Night Adder
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 5:41pm On Jun 01
onlinestaff247:

You're nothing but a religious bigot.
White man's religion has finished white washing your wasped mini brain, Ozuor.

Lols , I thought am just castigating people, so am also a religious bigot??

White man's religion ?

Keyboard warrior, there is more hope for a fool than for you , I thought you are meant to take corrections but you are irredeemable and a tyrant....

Next time , know that this is a public forum, you don't mess around and go free , there must be people to sanitize the environment from mad men who where not trained well by their parents .

Just know you messed up mocking the bible and that's my contention with souls like you....

If repentance is far from you, then we are here to correct abnormal people....
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by onlinestaff247: 6:03pm On Jun 01
ArcSEMPECJ:

Lols , I thought am just castigating people, so am also a religious bigot??

White man's religion ?

Keyboard warrior, there is more hope for a fool than for you , I thought you are meant to take corrections but you are irredeemable and a tyrant....

Next time , know that this is a public forum, you don't mess around and go free , there must be people to sanitize the environment from mad men who where not trained well by their parents .

Just know you messed up mocking the bible and that's my contention with souls like you....

If repentance is far from you, then we are here to correct abnormal people....

Small boy with small mind, olodo rabata
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by minato12: 6:05pm On Jun 01
Love800:
Hello.
How can we revive ourselves if bitten by a snake?

Snake toxin works differently depending on body mass and type of the venomous snake, but the immediate task to perform to tire off a piece of your cloth and tie above the bitearj as this will reduce the venom as it spread, then try making a cut below the bite mark and attempt to suck out most of the poison, the blood affected by poison is dark in colour, this won't stop the flow, but it will give you more than enough time to seek medical care...

PS am talking from experience, we were two in the bush and I was bitten by a puff adder, since then have been studying snakes for over 7 years now
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 6:22pm On Jun 01
onlinestaff247:

Lols
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 6:26pm On Jun 01
onlinestaff247:

You are never close to your elders.....you are forgiven
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Babysho(m): 6:34pm On Jun 01
Obito555:
It's a night adder
And its venomous

You're the only person that got it right and some other guy that used image search.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Sleekfingers: 7:35pm On Jun 01
YOUNGELDER1:
From the shape of the head it looks non venomous.

Who get time to dey look for snake head shape ?
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 6:47am On Jun 02
Okay.
So where is one going to seek medical care?
minato12:

Snake toxin works differently depending on body mass and type of the venomous snake, but the immediate task to perform to tire off a piece of your cloth and tie above the bitearj as this will reduce the venom as it spread, then try making a cut below the bite mark and attempt to suck out most of the poison, the blood affected by poison is dark in colour, this won't stop the flow, but it will give you more than enough time to seek medical care...

PS am talking from experience, we were two in the bush and I was bitten by a puff adder, since then have been studying snakes for over 7 years now
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by DoctorAyukebot(m): 10:23am On Jun 02
Charlie2020:
The kind of response that's very educative. Kudos doc. Are you a consultant cardiologist or pathologist?

Thank You πŸ™. I'm actually the Ezemor of my community πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚..On a serious note I am a Pharmacognosist involved in the research of new medications of natural origin.

Investigation of natural substances has been crucial in uncovering of many drugs, each possessing distinct pharmacological characteristics. Paclitaxel, obtained from Taxus brevifolia, is used in the treatment of lung, ovarian, and breast cancer. The compound artemisinin, derived from the traditional Chinese herb Artemisia annua, is used to combat malaria which is resistant to many drugs. Its a long list including Niprisan an innovative drug for sickle cell anemia developed in Nigeria from Sorghum leaves, Clove flower buds. Pepper seeds etc..

Dr Ayukebot O Roland
Pharmacognosist
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by DoctorAyukebot(m): 10:31am On Jun 02
BarrElChapo:

Did you ? Well done and thank you to your service to humanity .

Its still a process but definitely heading towards the right direction..After benefitting from my own research to treat my tumor (Pheochromocytoma) years back I feel grateful to be a part of the revolution making a meaningful change. Thank you too for the kind wordsπŸ™. It's not very often one gets to hear words of encouragement on nairaland.. πŸ˜‚πŸ™
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by SpartanJ: 3:47pm On Jun 02
Love800:
How did they administer the crude oil and leaves?

This is what I got from the site engineer, one of his workers was bitten that day.

Sir the antidote I use is called crude oil the raw one but first anybody that experience snake bite give the person onions and bitter kola to chew get a razor blade cut that very spot let blood come out and apply the onions and the bitter kola there let them chew it very well and put the water on the spot also let the person chew part of it and swallow but the other one is crude oil you just apply it in the same spot and give the person also to drink and the whole poison we die it will not circulate. They should not tie the spot that the snake bite occur.

The leave he used that day is available around swampy areas, but he only knows the name in his benue dialect as "Kuwhwe" Its the leaf of this plant that they will squeeze and and rob on the surface of the bite. The skin of the bite area will peel off after a week, new one will grow back....

The crude oil mentioned here is mostly sold by people selling palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Love800(m): 4:45pm On Jun 02
Palm kernel oil and coconut oil. Do you mean dis crude oil is sold in pharmacies/chemist shops?

Can only the crude oil cure it or you must use the leaf together with the crude?
SpartanJ:

This is what I got from the site engineer, one of his workers was bitten that day.

Sir the antidote I use is called crude oil the raw one but first anybody that experience snake bite give the person onions and bitter kola to chew get a razor blade cut that very spot let blood come out and apply the onions and the bitter kola there let them chew it very well and put the water on the spot also let the person chew part of it and swallow but the other one is crude oil you just apply it in the same spot and give the person also to drink and the whole poison we die it will not circulate. They should not tie the spot that the snake bite occur.

The leave he used that day is available around swampy areas, but he only knows the name in his benue dialect as "Kuwhwe" Its the leaf of this plant that they will squeeze and and rob on the surface of the bite. The skin of the bite area will peel off after a week, new one will grow back....

The crude oil mentioned here is mostly sold by people selling palm kernel oil and coconut oil.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by davidque: 11:41pm On Jun 02
Mccollins042:

No it is an African carpet viper.

What are you saying no to? i never said it was anything. i only corrected the post that claimed it was a gaboon viper.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This by Halla17: 11:56pm On Jun 03
That's a rattlesnake

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Giant George" World's Tallest Dog Dies At Home / Python Killed By Oil Workers At Egbema, Imo State. / A Cobra That Was Killed In My House This Early Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.