Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,822 members, 7,876,114 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 10:00 AM

Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem (686 Views)

How Has Tinubu Changed The Lives Of Yorubas? / He Changed The Currency In 1984; He Is Changing It Again In 2022 - Shehu Sani / Dino Melaye Asks Festus Keyamo To Recite Second Stanza Of The National Anthem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by Lumenasblog(m): 11:06am On May 30
*PERSONAL NOSTALGIA OVER NATIONAL PRIORITY (Misplaced Priority) --- Why Tinubu Changed the Nigerian National Anthem from 'Arise O'Compatriots' back to 'Nigeria we hail thee.

By Frank_Pen Gün
30/05/2024.

It is no more NEWS that the federal government of Nigeria under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu have successfully changed the current Nigerian National Anthem to an old one that was composed by our colonial masters. Within a few minutes the Bill passed through its 1st, 2nd and third readings. The Senate treated it just as speedily.

The bill which was presented for hearing on the May 23, 2024, didn't last upto 9 days before it was passed into law by Tinubu on May 29, 2024 (one of the speedy bills ever), while the negotiation of the National Minimum Wage has been on a cray fish pricing table for about 3 months now. This is happening at a time when there is extreme economic retrogression and hunger in the land due inflations said to be the worst ever experienced in the history of Nigeria.

I tell you you solemnly that even some members of the National Assembly don't know how to sing the current, 'Arise O'Compatriot' talk more of the 'Nigeria we hail thee' that they want common man wey never chop to start learning to sing.

And just like every other reasonable Nigerians would, so I ask, why did Tinubu change the Nigerian National Anthem? Will the old national anthem bring back our country to the old good days? Will it bring back the old petrol pump price? Will it bring back the old price of commodities/goods and services? Will it bring back the old foreign exchange rate? - as of today, $1 = ₦1456, £1=₦1904, €1 = ₦1885 (just to give estimated figures); and it keeps rising, because just like the penis, na every morning e dey rise. Will the old national anthem bring back more of an export oriented Nigeria than an import oriented one? (because today we import almost everything). Will it make Nigeria more productive than consumptive? Will it bring back our 1980 Nigeria (our Nigeria of old)? If the answers to these questions is a YES then I have no problem with going back to the old national anthem, as every other thing should go pari-passu.

May be we should remind this present administration of Tinubu what it entails to revert to the good old days, which is what we should be more concerned about at the moment and not just a national anthem.

I am talking about the days (in the 80s)! When;
* $1 = 0.80k
* We were a net exporter of refined petroleum products, but today we import all our refined petroleum products.
* We rode in locally assembled cars, buses and trucks. Peugeot cars in Kaduna and Volkswagen cars in Lagos.
* Leyland produced trucks/buses in Ibadan and ANAMCO in Enugu also produced buses and trucks.
* Steyr in Bauchi produced our Agricultural tractors. And it was not just Assembled, we were producing many of the components.
* Vono products in Lagos produced the vehicle seats.
* Exide in Ibadan produced the batteries, not just for Nigeria but for the entire West Africa.
* IsoGlass and TSG in Ibadan produced the windshields.
* Ferrodo in Ibadan produced the brake pads and discs.
* Dunlop produced Tyres in Lagos and Michelin Tyres were produced in Port Harcourt. And I mean tyres produced from rubber plantations located in Ogun, Bendel and Rivers State.
* Other companies produced cement and not just Dangote and one or two other producers.
* We were listening to Radio and watching television sets assembled in Ibadan by Sanyo et al.
* We were using refrigerators, freezers and airconditioners produced by Thermocool and Debo.
* We were putting on clothes produced from the UNTL Textile Mills in Kaduna and Chellarams in Lagos. They were not from imported cotton but from cotton grown in Nigeria.
* Our water was running through pipes produced by Kwalipipe in Kano and Duraplast in Lagos.
* Our toilets were fitted with WC produced in Kano and Abeokuta.
* We were cooking with LPG gas stored inside gas cylinders produced at the NGC factory in Ibadan.
* Our electricity was flowing through cables produced by the Nigerian Wire and Cable, Ibadan; NOCACO in Kaduna and Kablemetal in Lagos and Port Harcourt.
* We had Bata and Lennards Stores producing the shoes we were putting on. The shoes were not from imported leather but from locally tanned leather in Kaduna
* We were mainly flying our Airways, (the Nigeria Airways), to most places in the world. The Nigeria Airways was about the biggest in Africa at the time.
* Most of the products we use were made in Nigeria, and most of the foods we ate were grown or produced in Nigeria.
E.T.C.

Tinubu assented to the bill despite calls from Lateef Fagbemi, attorney-general of the federation (AGF) and minister of justice, that the decision to change the country’s national anthem should be subjected to an extensive process.

Recall that in an interview granted during the celebration of Nigeria’s Independence Day in 2022, a video dated October 2, 2022, captures Tinubu’s sentiments during an interview with Seye Oyetade on the program ‘Matters Of Heritage’.

During the interview, Asiwaju Tinubu at the time passionately shared his admiration for the old national anthem, saying if he had his way, he will bring it back. Tinubu revealed his preference for the old anthem over the current version, he said, “In fact, if I have my way, I would bring back our old, first national anthem. That described us much more better. I don't know why we changed it. It is about service it is about diversity, it is about commitment to value and nation-building, so that is my message.”

“We must guard our democracy jealously because we are one Nigeria. And we should be proud of our past,” Tinubu had said.

So it is obvious that Tinubu changed the national anthem due to personal nostalgic feelings. A sweet yearning to him, but a bitter hearing to Nigerians at this point in time.

"Tinubu changed the Nation Anthem to the old one because he preferred the old one which is based on personal preference. The National Assembly welcomed it because they are bunch of clowns." - Abdul Rasheeth (@Rasheethe).

‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee is the national anthem of Nigeria, used from independence in 1960 until 1978, before it was readopted by the Tinubu government in May 2024. ‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee’ was adopted as the country’s first national anthem on October 1, 1960. It was written by a British expatriate, Lillian Jean Williams, and composed by Frances Berda.

In 1978, during the Military administration of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo as Head of State, Nigeria announced a competition and welcomed entries when it wanted to change ‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee’ as the national anthem. The committee chose five winners and combined their entries into one. The five Nigerians (Poets) whose lyrics were merged into one were P. O. Aderibigbe, John A. Ilechukwu, Dr. Sota Omoigui, Eme Etim Akpan and B.A. Ogunnaike. They were the writers of 'Arise, O Compatriots'. ‘Arise, O Compatriots was later composed into music by Mr. Ben Odiase, the Music Director of the Nigerian Police Band who served in the Nigerian Police from 1954 - 1992.

Due to bad managers, Nigeria has become a cynical kind of Eden; an Eden neither where it was nor where it should be; an Eden with rivers where fishes drown and even die of thirst; an Eden where gold has lost its lustre and its name changed from black gold to blood and oil; an Eden where the normal is abnormal and the abnormal is normal. In this Eden things fall apart.

Our Eden is sick! Our motherland is weak! She suffers brain cancer of lack of Good Leadership, Greed and Impunity!

Anyways we are a praying nation, let us keep praying, perhaps that rainbow will come.

I must commend the likes of Hon. Ahmed Satomi of Borno State who does not agree with the careless change and made a very sound argument in the House of Representatives 2 days ago. He said and I quote,
"Countries that rely on
prayers will always depend on countries that do think. Let us think of something that will bring stability, progress, and prosperity to the economy of this nation, and improve the life of the common man in Nigeria."

© Frank_Pen Gün

Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by Philipponzaghi: 11:16am On May 30
Changing the national anthem is a misplaced priority! We need leaders who will prioritize fixing the economy and improving the lives of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by victorDanladi: 11:40am On May 30
Lumenasblog:
*PERSONAL NOSTALGIA OVER NATIONAL PRIORITY (Misplaced Priority) --- Why Tinubu Changed the Nigerian National Anthem from 'Arise O'Compatriots' back to 'Nigeria we hail thee.

By Frank_Pen Gün
30/05/2024.

It is no more NEWS that the federal government of Nigeria under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu have successfully changed the current Nigerian National Anthem to an old one that was composed by our colonial masters. Within a few minutes the Bill passed through its 1st, 2nd and third readings. The Senate treated it just as speedily.

The bill which was presented for hearing on the May 23, 2024, didn't last upto 9 days before it was passed into law by Tinubu on May 29, 2024 (one of the speedy bills ever), while the negotiation of the National Minimum Wage has been on a cray fish pricing table for about 3 months now. This is happening at a time when there is extreme economic retrogression and hunger in the land due inflations said to be the worst ever experienced in the history of Nigeria.

I tell you you solemnly that even some members of the National Assembly don't know how to sing the current, 'Arise O'Compatriot' talk more of the 'Nigeria we hail thee' that they want common man wey never chop to start learning to sing.

And just like every other reasonable Nigerians would, so I ask, why did Tinubu change the Nigerian National Anthem? Will the old national anthem bring back our country to the old good days? Will it bring back the old petrol pump price? Will it bring back the old price of commodities/goods and services? Will it bring back the old foreign exchange rate? - as of today, $1 = ₦1456, £1=₦1904, €1 = ₦1885 (just to give estimated figures); and it keeps rising, because just like the penis, na every morning e dey rise. Will the old national anthem bring back more of an export oriented Nigeria than an import oriented one? (because today we import almost everything). Will it make Nigeria more productive than consumptive? Will it bring back our 1980 Nigeria (our Nigeria of old)? If the answers to these questions is a YES then I have no problem with going back to the old national anthem, as every other thing should go pari-passu.

May be we should remind this present administration of Tinubu what it entails to revert to the good old days, which is what we should be more concerned about at the moment and not just a national anthem.

I am talking about the days (in the 80s)! When;
* $1 = 0.80k
* We were a net exporter of refined petroleum products, but today we import all our refined petroleum products.
* We rode in locally assembled cars, buses and trucks. Peugeot cars in Kaduna and Volkswagen cars in Lagos.
* Leyland produced trucks/buses in Ibadan and ANAMCO in Enugu also produced buses and trucks.
* Steyr in Bauchi produced our Agricultural tractors. And it was not just Assembled, we were producing many of the components.
* Vono products in Lagos produced the vehicle seats.
* Exide in Ibadan produced the batteries, not just for Nigeria but for the entire West Africa.
* IsoGlass and TSG in Ibadan produced the windshields.
* Ferrodo in Ibadan produced the brake pads and discs.
* Dunlop produced Tyres in Lagos and Michelin Tyres were produced in Port Harcourt. And I mean tyres produced from rubber plantations located in Ogun, Bendel and Rivers State.
* Other companies produced cement and not just Dangote and one or two other producers.
* We were listening to Radio and watching television sets assembled in Ibadan by Sanyo et al.
* We were using refrigerators, freezers and airconditioners produced by Thermocool and Debo.
* We were putting on clothes produced from the UNTL Textile Mills in Kaduna and Chellarams in Lagos. They were not from imported cotton but from cotton grown in Nigeria.
* Our water was running through pipes produced by Kwalipipe in Kano and Duraplast in Lagos.
* Our toilets were fitted with WC produced in Kano and Abeokuta.
* We were cooking with LPG gas stored inside gas cylinders produced at the NGC factory in Ibadan.
* Our electricity was flowing through cables produced by the Nigerian Wire and Cable, Ibadan; NOCACO in Kaduna and Kablemetal in Lagos and Port Harcourt.
* We had Bata and Lennards Stores producing the shoes we were putting on. The shoes were not from imported leather but from locally tanned leather in Kaduna
* We were mainly flying our Airways, (the Nigeria Airways), to most places in the world. The Nigeria Airways was about the biggest in Africa at the time.
* Most of the products we use were made in Nigeria, and most of the foods we ate were grown or produced in Nigeria.
E.T.C.

Tinubu assented to the bill despite calls from Lateef Fagbemi, attorney-general of the federation (AGF) and minister of justice, that the decision to change the country’s national anthem should be subjected to an extensive process.

Recall that in an interview granted during the celebration of Nigeria’s Independence Day in 2022, a video dated October 2, 2022, captures Tinubu’s sentiments during an interview with Seye Oyetade on the program ‘Matters Of Heritage’.

During the interview, Asiwaju Tinubu at the time passionately shared his admiration for the old national anthem, saying if he had his way, he will bring it back. Tinubu revealed his preference for the old anthem over the current version, he said, “In fact, if I have my way, I would bring back our old, first national anthem. That described us much more better. I don't know why we changed it. It is about service it is about diversity, it is about commitment to value and nation-building, so that is my message.”

“We must guard our democracy jealously because we are one Nigeria. And we should be proud of our past,” Tinubu had said.

So it is obvious that Tinubu changed the national anthem due to personal nostalgic feelings. A sweet yearning to him, but a bitter hearing to Nigerians at this point in time.

"Tinubu changed the Nation Anthem to the old one because he preferred the old one which is based on personal preference. The National Assembly welcomed it because they are bunch of clowns." - Abdul Rasheeth (@Rasheethe).

‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee is the national anthem of Nigeria, used from independence in 1960 until 1978, before it was readopted by the Tinubu government in May 2024. ‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee’ was adopted as the country’s first national anthem on October 1, 1960. It was written by a British expatriate, Lillian Jean Williams, and composed by Frances Berda.

In 1978, during the Military administration of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo as Head of State, Nigeria announced a competition and welcomed entries when it wanted to change ‘Nigeria, We Hail Thee’ as the national anthem. The committee chose five winners and combined their entries into one. The five Nigerians (Poets) whose lyrics were merged into one were P. O. Aderibigbe, John A. Ilechukwu, Dr. Sota Omoigui, Eme Etim Akpan and B.A. Ogunnaike. They were the writers of 'Arise, O Compatriots'. ‘Arise, O Compatriots was later composed into music by Mr. Ben Odiase, the Music Director of the Nigerian Police Band who served in the Nigerian Police from 1954 - 1992.

Due to bad managers, Nigeria has become a cynical kind of Eden; an Eden neither where it was nor where it should be; an Eden with rivers where fishes drown and even die of thirst; an Eden where gold has lost its lustre and its name changed from black gold to blood and oil; an Eden where the normal is abnormal and the abnormal is normal. In this Eden things fall apart.

Our Eden is sick! Our motherland is weak! She suffers brain cancer of lack of Good Leadership, Greed and Impunity!

Anyways we are a praying nation, let us keep praying, perhaps that rainbow will come.

I must commend the likes of Hon. Ahmed Satomi of Borno State who does not agree with the careless change and made a very sound argument in the House of Representatives 2 days ago. He said and I quote,
"Countries that rely on
prayers will always depend on countries that do think. Let us think of something that will bring stability, progress, and prosperity to the economy of this nation, and improve the life of the common man in Nigeria."

© Frank_Pen Gün

MAGA,

YOUR SENATORS CHANGED THE NATIONAL ANTHEM NOT TINUBU!
Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by Chinkoalhaji34: 11:42am On May 30
Tinubus decision to change the national anthem is a misplaced priority and a reflection of his personal nostalgia, while neglecting more pressing issues plaguing Nigeria, such as economic retrogression and hunger. Ayo Olayinka AyoOlayinka4.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by gift2xl: 11:59am On May 30
Nigeria has never had a leader since the inception of DEMOCRACY.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by futurerex: 12:06pm On May 30
With empty stomach they want us to start learning new national anthem, na anthem we go chop? Why not change the flag join?

Id!ots!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Changed The Nigerian National Anthem by futurerex: 12:08pm On May 30
victorDanladi:

MAGA,

YOUR SENATORS CHANGED THE NATIONAL ANTHEM NOT TINUBU!
Must you quote everything

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Ibori & Co Having The Last Laugh? / Migration To North-nigeria / You Might Need Our Services!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.