Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,998 members, 7,909,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 11:12 AM

God And Evil - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And Evil (4700 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Female Circumcision Is Barbaric And Evil. / The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:07pm On Nov 27, 2011
plaetton:

@Enigma.
I do understand the definition of objective morality.
I have also stated that morality is fluid. Infact, I have used the example you cited above many times in the past.
I am not contradicting myself.
You guys seem to be confused and are shifting the goal post to suit yourselves.
My point is simple, Morality, objective or otherwise, is not a neither a product of nor an exlusive  domain of theology.

Is female circumcision "good" or "evil" and what makes it either?
Re: God And Evil by Daiquiri: 8:07pm On Nov 27, 2011
@Enigma

Sorry for brief derail

Was it you that left a tribute for Gary Speed?
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:09pm On Nov 27, 2011
Daiquiri

No it wasn't me; but the sad news quite touched me too rather. sad
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 8:10pm On Nov 27, 2011
The sophist songs they keep singing to themselves all the time grin

Enigma:

^^ I might have guessed you simply can't lift yourself to the necessary level for both understanding and objectivity/honesty.

Who introduced "God" into this discussion?

You did. . . .

Enigma:

Maybe you don't understand the topic or maybe you are just too inured to your un-objective way of thinking.

The OP says the idea of "evil" means there is no God. Well, the question to him (and to you if you are capable) is: what is the basis for regarding something as "evil" or "good" in the first place and he/you must define the "God" that is disproved by the existence of evil. We simply put the theistic point to him, that you cannot establish "good" or "evil" objectively unless you start with a premise that recognises God, Simples.

Look, for you to get going, you have to define "God", "good", and "evil". As I said before, if you can't do that you are just wasting everyone's time. 

Look at whois talking about wasting people's time. . .Mirror mirror on the wall. . . .
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2011
Enigma:

Is the christian God the source of human morality? when, where and how?. . . .

@ plaetton

There is no need wasting your time discussing with some one that prefers to sing instead of listening to what you are saying. . Just sing back to him in his language maybe he will understand what you are saying after all you are an evil angry, rabid and an intolerant evangelical atheist. . . .  cool
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:15pm On Nov 27, 2011
mazaje:

The sophist songs they keep singing to themselves all the time grin

. . . You did. . . .

Post above is just one example of why I don't bother with your posts.

Here is the opening post.

The presence of Evil lays the biggest doubt of the existence of an OMNIBENEVOLENT God. If there is an all good being, who in his pursuits CHOOSES good despite his ability to do bad, why is there evil? If he has elected none? If he is all perfect?

Any person of intelligence and honesty can see who introduced "God" into the discussion and associated him with evil ---- thus with morality. Simples. Of course, I will revert to simply ignoring your nonsense.

cool
Re: God And Evil by Daiquiri: 8:24pm On Nov 27, 2011
Enigma:

Daiquiri

No it wasn't me; but the sad news quite touched me too rather.  sad

@Enigma

Thanks for the prompt reply

OK then. Must have been another Enigma then

42, that's a bit too young to die and suddenly too just like that.

Wales was looking promising since he took over  sad

There are one or two theories on the net on why he topped himself though . . .

Pray his wife and family are strong

PS: You're doing a great work. Mind you sinful evil, permitted evil etc are at your disposal too
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 8:25pm On Nov 27, 2011
Enigma:

Post above is just one example of why I don't bother with your posts.

Who cares if you bother with my post grin grin. . .You stup[i]i[/i]dly and ridiculously assume that your BASELESS opinion on a topic on the internet is of any meaning to me as an individual to the extent that you attach any importance of bothering with it or not. . . .I laugh in Greek. . .

Here is the opening post.

Any person of intelligence and honesty can see who introduced "God" into the discussion and associated him with evil ---- thus with morality. Simples. Of course, I will revert to simply ignoring your nonsense.

And any one with intelligence will also see the point plaetton was making. . .You can keep singing your songs of delusion to yourself, seems it makes you happy. . .And stop deluding yourself into thinking that your baseless opinion of an issue on the internet matters to any body here. . .It doesn't cool
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2011
Daiquiri:

@Enigma

Thanks for the prompt reply

OK then. Must have been another Enigma then

42, that's a bit too young to die and suddenly too just like that.

Wales was looking promising since he took over  sad

There are one or two theories on the net on why he topped himself though . . .

Pray his wife and family are strong

PS: You're doing a great work. Mind you sinful evil, permitted evil etc are at your disposal too

All rather sad. sad Well, as we say (or is it sing) over here: always look on the bright side of life.

cool
Re: God And Evil by plaetton: 8:28pm On Nov 27, 2011
Enigma:

@Enigma:
I really dont understand you. The point that Mazaje and I have been trying to make is that morality if fluid. It takes the shape of the culture or collective attributes of the people. In time these these evolve and what is now good can then be seen as bad.
There should be no argument about that.
The question for you, is, how does an unchanging god,who according to Thelstan,established the threshold of morality, now fit into the evolving  moral threshodl of humans?
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2011
^^^ Then you simply do not know what is meant by objective morality; afterall the person you say is supporting you actually disagrees with you when he says there no objective morality. I would say you need to educate yourself on that specific point.
Re: God And Evil by Kay17: 8:49pm On Nov 27, 2011
Thelstan:

You must be kidding! There are recently discovered examples of such colonies and societies in Papua, Uganda and other places. And there may be yet undiscovered ones as well. I see how you have evaded the question by recoursing to non-existence of such a society. The point is that you are relying entirely on a fallible society to define your own evaluation of good and evil.
Wait, I don't understand this. Diseases, death, abortion and self-defence are instances of evil?  
Yes, cos life is terminated, a potential is lost. And its tragic. Evil is an imperfection, a conflict with a system. Also i hate repeating myself too often. Tb has defined God, i ve defined evil and good. While u and enigma didnt read them.
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 8:50pm On Nov 27, 2011
mazaje:

And any one with intelligence will also see the point plaetton was making. . .

Enigma's question to plaetton was:

Enigma:

But plaetton did not answer outright, he/she rather obtusely skirted the problem.

The point Enigma was making, I believe, is that some things are outright wrong regardless of societal beliefs. Some societies embrace female circumcision but it is a medically unhealthy practice, and thus is outright wrong regardless of societal beliefs.

That would then be an example of objective morality. In this case, it has been defined medically. Sound health is the preferred alternative, so it is clear what is good and what is evil in this case, regardless of whatever the society, or your family in the society (or even yourself as a young woman about to experience female geni.tal mutilation) may think.
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:53pm On Nov 27, 2011
Kay 17:

Yes, cos life is terminated, a potential is lost. And its tragic. Evil is an imperfection, a conflict with a system. Also i hate repeating myself too often. Tb has defined God, i ve defined evil and good. While u and enigma didnt read them.

Your definition of evil is inadequate: is there any evil in a lion eating a goat and how does that "stifle human development".

I'd be grateful if you state the post no in which you define "good" and I will look it up.

I wanted your definition of "God" but if you say you are adopting Tbaba's definition, I will now go and look that up.
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 8:55pm On Nov 27, 2011
@Kay17

Kay 17:

Life is not necessarily lost in self-defence, and sometimes abortions are medically prescribed to save a pregnant woman's life. Is it then evil to protect yourself from an assailant, or is it evil to abort a baby to save the mother's life? Or is it good in either case? What determines your judgement?

As for your definitions, sorry I must have missed them somehow. I'll like to put it all together before we advance. Who is Tb?
Re: God And Evil by plaetton: 8:56pm On Nov 27, 2011
And ofcourse ,you are the only one who truly understands. That's what you tell yourself.
Bravo to you.

Majzaje is aguing against your god-centered objective morality .
I have already made my case for objective morality. Once any idea becomes god-centered, it takes  convoluted pathways to validate itself.
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 8:58pm On Nov 27, 2011
@ Thelstan, no that was not really my point as I meant it more culturally.

However, please advise further about the declaration that female circumcision is unhealthy.

I could change the example to male circumcision. Some are advocating that even that should be prohibited. Yet it is a widespread practice in many societies.

cool
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 9:02pm On Nov 27, 2011
Kay 17 your definition of evil is completely inadequate. . .What exactly are you saying my man?. . . .
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 9:03pm On Nov 27, 2011
plaetton:

And ofcourse ,you are the only one who truly understands. That's what you tell yourself.
Bravo to you.

Majzaje is aguing against your god-centered objective morality .
I have already made my case for objective morality. Once any idea becomes god-centered, it takes  convoluted pathways to validate itself.

You don talk am finish. . . .
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2011
@Enigma

Oh my apologies. As opposed to male circumcision which has many positive benefits like below:

[Male circumcision] reduces the risk for HIV, chancroid, syphilis, neonatal urinary tract infection, penile and cervical cancers, and possibly herpes simplex virus II.[4-6] Current evidence suggests that some cells found in the male foreskin are especially vulnerable to infection with HIV,[7] and that routine circumcision of all men in Africa, for instance, could prevent 2 million new HIV infections and avert 300,000 deaths over the next 10 years.[8-10] After 20 years, 3.7 million new HIV infections would be prevented and 2.7 million deaths averted.[10]

Female circumcision or female genital mutilation has no positive medical benefits. Rather it is ridden with health problems. Below are physical and psychological consequences (FGC = Female Genital Cutting)

Immediate complications of FGC include severe pain, cellulitis, sepsis, urinary retention, hemorrhage, shock, and even death. Long-term complications, seen predominantly in women who have undergone type III procedures, include cysts, abscesses, keloids, recurrent infections, dyspareunia, and dysmenorrhea due to the infibulated scar overlying the vaginal introitus.[21,22] Neuromas, which can cause sharp, excruciating pain, are rare. Decreased sexual responsiveness is understandably common, and some women suffer infertility, but there is no increased risk for sexually transmitted infections.[21,25]

Women with FGC are significantly more likely than those without FGC to have adverse obstetrical outcomes, including prolonged or obstructed labor, obstetric fistulas, caesarean section, postpartum hemorrhage, extended maternal hospital stay, infant resuscitation, stillbirth or early neonatal death, and low birthweight.[19,26] Risks are higher with more extensive FGC. FGC leads to an extra 1-2 perinatal deaths per 100 deliveries, likely secondary to unattended or inappropriately treated obstructed labor caused by vulvar scarring.[19,23] Fetal complications are rarely seen in developed nations.[15]

Psychiatric sequelae of FGC include shame, fear, depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, and memory problems.[21,27] Male complications resulting from FGC include difficulty in penetration, wounds and infections on the penis, and psychological problems.[28]

References from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/546497 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/female_genital_mutilation.shtml
Re: God And Evil by plaetton: 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2011
@Thelstan:
It is interesting that you are invoking medical science, and not god ,as the definer of objective morality for this particular issue of female genital circumcision .
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2011
plaetton:

Bravo to you.

Mazaje is aguing against your god-centered objective morality .

This is ridiculous. RATHER it is the OP that has made objective morality a God-centered construct, howbeit saying that God is allowing Evil if he so exists.

This is what he said:

The presence of Evil lays the biggest doubt of the existence of an OMNIBENEVOLENT God. If there is an all good being, who in his pursuits CHOOSES good despite his ability to do bad, why is there evil? If he has elected none? If he is all perfect?

Doesn't this mean he is saying that objective morality is meant to be defined by God, if he so exists?

plaetton:

@Thelstan:
It is interesting that you are invoking medical science, and not god ,as the definer of objective morality for this particular issue of female Core circumcision .
I do not believe medical science kicks against my theology. I wonder where you got such an opinion from.
Re: God And Evil by Enigma(m): 9:13pm On Nov 27, 2011
@ Thelstan

I think we might need another thread to discuss the medical aspects; however, I am actually familiar with that site that you posted; I will say "health risk" is one thing and the real statistics are another. I will also note that western opposition to it are truly largely cultural and couched in human rights terms. But as i said --- another thread, another time.

cool
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2011
Enigma:

@ Thelstan

I think we might need another thread to discuss the medical aspects; however, I am actually familiar with that site that you posted; I will say "health risk" is one thing and the real statistics are another. I will also note that western opposition to it are truly largely cultural and couched in human rights terms. But as i said --- another thread, another time.

cool

Encroyable! Thanks bro. I will look forward to that smiley
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 9:24pm On Nov 27, 2011
I have a problem with people who argue on threads like this and will start gallivanting when they are shown to have gaffed, it has happened often on this thread already. No one can be right all the time. Let's wait and see what mazaje and plaetton will return to say concerning their indicated solecism about a God-centered objective morality.
Re: God And Evil by Kay17: 10:01pm On Nov 27, 2011
@mazaje

i do think its adequate enough, or do u have a better one? And evil is not subjective, every human mind has a clear idea of evil.

@thelstan

i support abortion, but like selfdefense, life is lost. So its unfortunate.

If there is an omnibenevolence God, why is there evil in his creation.
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 10:07pm On Nov 27, 2011
Kay 17:

@thelstan

i support abortion, but like selfdefense, life is lost. So its unfortunate.

If there is an omnibenevolence God, why is there evil in his creation.

Why not?

If you think there shouldn't be evil in God's creation then you believe that objective morality ought to be centered on God. Right?

Then you're the one mazaje and plaetton have been railing against all day.
Re: God And Evil by Kay17: 10:33pm On Nov 27, 2011
Evil is an imperfection, which logically has no place in a perfect being's creation. The fact we have that now, would prove the absence of an omnibenevolent creator.

In my opinion, morality entails right and wrong, its normative and man made.
Re: God And Evil by gotizsata: 11:08pm On Nov 27, 2011
then in Luke 19:27 Jesus said
But as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king-bring them here and slaughter them in my presence!
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 10:19am On Nov 28, 2011
Thelstan:

I have a problem with people who argue on threads like this and will start gallivanting when they are shown to have gaffed, it has happened often on this thread already. No one can be right all the time. Let's wait and see what mazaje and plaetton will return to say concerning their indicated solecism about a God-centered objective morality.

Sure no one can be right all the time, enigma implied that morality comes from God and all I have said is that it is false since all moral laws and codes of conduct can be shown very clearly to be created by humans ALL the time in an evolving and continuous manner. . . .God centered morality poses a problem to God believers since  God believers believe in different Gods and hold different moral laws and codes of conduct. . . .
Re: God And Evil by Thelstan(m): 10:29am On Nov 28, 2011
mazaje:

Sure no one can be right all the time, enigma implied that morality comes from God and all I have said is that it is false since all moral laws and codes of conduct can be show very clearly to be created by humans ALL the time in an evolving and continuous manner. . . .God centered morality poses a problem to God believers since God believers believe in different Gods hold different moral laws and codes of conduct. . . .
I am not sure if you guys understood my point, but Kay 17 was the one who introduced God in the OP as an assumed center of objective morality, if he so exists. i.e. Kay 17 was saying, "God does not exist, because if he exists, he would have prevented evil from happening (being the center of objective morality)".

Contrary to your statements, and plaetton's, then Enigma or myself were not the ones who introduced God as a (supposed) center of objective morality; we are towing the line of the OP's initial reasoning, regardless of whatever we believe.
Re: God And Evil by mazaje(m): 11:26am On Nov 28, 2011
^^

OK, Roger. . .I get what you are saying. . .And I'll have to agree with you because I find the OP's position inadequate. . .You even helped in pointing that out to him. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Debunking The Miracles Supposedly Substantiated By Dr Richard Casdorph / Four Nigerian Pastors That Do Not Collect Tithes In Their Churches / Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.