Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,583 members, 7,968,685 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 11:23 AM

The 5 Best Couchsurfing Alternatives In 2024 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The 5 Best Couchsurfing Alternatives In 2024 (116 Views)

Lagos To Roll Out 500 Last-mile Buses As Alternatives To Okada / These Are The 5 Most Popular Bus Stops In Abuja / 5 Best Places To Live In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 5 Best Couchsurfing Alternatives In 2024 by Nomadicabroad: 7:07am On May 31
Couchsurfing allowed me to have unexpected experiences while traveling. Unfortunately, the site has changed a lot, I give you 5 alternatives.

The page you are on right now has been praising Couchsurfing since 2013 (date of publication). But faced with the current situation (Couchsurfing is becoming paid, Covid-19 is rearing its ugly head at the start of 2020, etc.), I had to completely rewrite the article to give you my opinion on it.

And after hearing a steady stream of negative couchsurfing experiences (especially in the comments here), I thought it would be interesting to explore some alternatives.

Please note: I am not saying that Couchsurfing is dead. I’ve had some great experiences thanks to this site,. But today there are alternatives which, in my opinion, are more interesting.

Table of Contents
What is couchsurfing?
What’s wrong with Couchsurfing?
Best Couchsurfing Alternatives in 2024
AIRBNB
BEWELCOME – BEST FOR BACKPACKERS
TRUSTROOTS – BEST FOR HITCHHIKERS
MOVINGWORLDS – BEST FOR VOLUNTEER WORKERS
TRUSTEDHOUSESITTERS, HELPX, WORKAWAY – EXCHANGE YOUR TIME FOR ACCOMMODATION
Conclusion, nothing is really free

What is couchsurfing?
The basic idea is simple; All you have to do is register on the Couchsurfing.com website and fill out your profile to have the opportunity to “squat” on a sofa on the other side of the world (the English word “couch” simply means “sofa”).

The main idea, which contributed to the success of this mode of travel, is the cultural exchange and hospitality between several people from different backgrounds.

What’s wrong with Couchsurfing?
Like many guys getting into Couchsurfing, it’s hard to get past that first step of having a good profile – getting rated so hosts know you’re not a freak.

Unless you pay for Couchsurfing to validate your profile, you will most often come across as a potential psychopath in the eyes of potential hosts. Women who host guests in their homes prefer women, and too few male guests will accept another man into their home. And when it does, there are sometimes character incompatibility issues.

This does not mean that nomadic women, families or couples have an easier time finding their happiness; Couchsurfing can be dangerous (or weird) for women and children, but it’s not my area of ​​expertise.

When I talked about it in a Facebook group for male travelers, I discovered that it’s even harder to find hosts and get the much-needed positive reviews when you’re not white .

They explained to me that people weren’t racist , just more likely to open their doors to a white person, especially if the traveler was male. At least that’s their hypothesis. I can’t speak personally about these situations, but they seem plausible to me.

You can blame cultural familiarity or media bias, it doesn’t matter. Non-white male travelers face all the same problems.

Best Couchsurfing Alternatives in 2024
I’ll be honest, I’ve scoured the net for hours looking for completely free solutions. But all the sites I came across were either dull or dated, to the point where I wondered if anyone was still using them. I don’t want to suggest sites to you that I wouldn’t use myself.

This is why on this page these are not replacement solutions, but alternatives that I have already used.

Don’t hesitate to give me your opinion in the comments.

AIRBNB
I know ! Airbnb is not a real alternative to couchsurfing  ! All rentals are chargeable! Let me tell you why this platform is on my list.

When I was traveling in Asia, all the other sites and platforms failed me at one point or another. I found myself in trouble sometimes and could always turn to Airbnb. So far I have always had luck and no problems.

This is an excellent plan B , I advise you to install the app on your phone. You’ll even get free Airbnb credit if you sign up using this link today.

Read More:- [https://nomadicabroad.com/couchsurfing-alternatives]

(1) (Reply)

US F1 Applicant Proof Of Funds / Watch Gov. Soludo Talk About The Planned Anambra State Rail Service, The NIPP / Flying High: Helicopter Adventures In Nepal's Sky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.