Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,219 members, 7,963,994 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 03:51 AM

Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations (14450 Views)

Summary Of The National Confab 2014 Recommendations / Insecurity: Falae, Bode George Ask PMB To Implement 2014 National CONFAB Report / How Tinubu, PDP Governors Betrayed Yorubas At National Confab - Afenifere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by DMerciful(m): 9:04am On May 31
You don't know how govt works. He doesn't have the power to implement it unilaterally. It had to go to the national assembly and even the state houses of assembly to approve.
This takes time.
Bakrabas:

Something he ought to have implemented that night after the conference.

1 Like

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by DMerciful(m): 9:06am On May 31
The confab was done in 2014 after which the Northerners distracted him with chibok girls and then came the campaigns for election.

There was no time to implement it in his first term
georgeakins:

Jonathan spent almost two years in office after the confab. Why didn't he implement the report?

Only the NA has the power to change the constitution. Jonathan was only playing to the gallery.

The confab was a complete waste of money and time.
We don't need any confab to change the constitution.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Biodun556(m): 9:09am On May 31
Judolisco:
Tinubu should look into dis

He put forward state police,governors refused to indicate interest

1 Like

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Bakrabas: 9:10am On May 31
DMerciful:
You don't know how govt works. He doesn't have the power to implement it unilaterally. It had to go to the national assembly and even the state houses of assembly to approve.
This takes time.

Fine, we're still saying the same thing, all critical issues pinpoint in comfab non is executed by GEJ even it cost him to exercise his veto power having realise that both green and red chambers aren't serious.

2 Likes

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by AviatorMoney(m): 9:14am On May 31
richiemcgold:
I disagree with number 13. Legislature should be unicameral. But I agree that legislative duties should be on part-time basis.

To me, 8 & 9 are needless. We should revert to regional system. Each region can determine the number of states to have.

And in contrary to number 10, each region should have 100% control of their resources and revenue. I don't support the proposed master-slave kind of sharing formula
Kindly split the regions for me based on ur formula please
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by DMerciful(m): 9:16am On May 31
You need to educate yourself on the presidential system of government? The president does not have a veto to do constitutional amendment. The national assembly and state houses of assemblies must be convinced to approve.

You think the presidential system of government is like a military dictator that can do as he pleases?
Bakrabas:

Fine, we're still saying the same thing, all critical issues pinpoint in comfab non is executed by GEJ even it cost him to exercise his veto power having realise that both green and red chambers aren't serious.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by StJasper(m): 9:18am On May 31
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Dude just wanted to use it to get second term. Why did he not work on implementing it before the end of his term?

God bless you
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by StJasper(m): 9:18am On May 31
Kwaramustgoodag:
he already said it that after election, they will implement it

Why did he wait till after election?

1 Like

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by soccerlite: 9:28am On May 31
The useless Jonathan didn't have the heart to sign it to law and make it constitutional

The useless PhD holder footdrag on everything to progress nigeria out of fear and self-centreness

Jonathan is the foundational problem
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by soccerlite: 9:29am On May 31
Biodun556:

He put forward state police,governors refused to indicate interest

You are a liar
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by bitbillionaire: 9:29am On May 31
eddie7:

17. Anti-corruption

Anybody arraigned before the court by EFCC, ICPC and by any law enforcement agencies, the accused person will be regarded as guilty, unlike the present situation where he is innocent until proven guilty.

Eventhough I support over 80% of the recommendations but that number 17 is the most idiotic and silly stuff I have ever heard.

What is the point of prosecuting somedody, then, if the person is automatically guilty of a crime simply because EFCC and co. accuses him of such. The implication of this is that if the government of the day sees you as a threat all they just need to do is send EFCC after you with some false accusations and you are gone! Automatically guilty without trial!

There are many good reasons why the accused person should remain innocent till proven guilty by the court of law.

I will advise these people to retract that number 17 as it portrays them dumb folks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by soccerlite: 9:32am On May 31
DMerciful:
This takes time.

Funny

So what stopped him from sending it to Nat assembly

How did tinubu Change national anthem overnight

Stop giving nonsense Jonathan alibi
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by DMerciful(m): 9:36am On May 31
Use your head. Changing national anthem is not a constitutional matter. State police is a constitutional matter. How far? Do we have state police now?

And state police is just one item of 600 resolutions in the confab. You think its child's play?
soccerlite:

Funny

So what stopped him from sending it to Nat assembly

How did tinubu Change national anthem overnight

Stop giving nonsense Jonathan alibi

1 Like

Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by jojothaiv(m): 9:38am On May 31
This is beautiful but the current crop of leaders lack the political will to effect real and lasting change, the only thing the dry heads could think of is the national anthem.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Zuckembego: 9:38am On May 31
valentineuwakwe:
Will they have the political will to implement it?

No 19 was just implemented.
Re introduction of Old National Anthem
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Kukutente23: 9:41am On May 31
A lot of the recommendations are very funny and awkward. I have never even looked at the report cause I saw it as a joke then. Nothing like confab. The constitution recognises the NASS and state legislatures for amendment of the constitution. Anything else is a waste of time.
That said, if the people in govt want all thes things, it can be done in a matter of months. But for me I think most of them are just cosmetic
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Glitcher: 9:41am On May 31
[quote author=eddie7 post=130229045][/quote]
22. Resource control by the owners of the resources should also be implemented.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by richiemcgold: 9:42am On May 31
AviatorMoney:

Kindly split the regions for me based on ur formula please

six regions as we currently have.
3 from the south and 3 from the north
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Phantom233: 9:53am On May 31
- 2. Rotation of Presidency

Rotation of Presidency between the North and South and governorship among the three senatorial districts of each state.

You see why this country can never workout as a single entity? We have six geopolitical zones in the country, why is it that when it comes to president we are considering only north and south? Is this not a calculatef approach to marginalized a certain people? Secondly why can't they propose a single tenure of six years to save cos and wastages incured in conducting this their scam elections?
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by MikeBetty(m): 10:19am On May 31
Number 14 contradict number 10. You said that FG, State and LGA will share in the fiscal policy, then the state has right to create any number of local government of their choice. Who will finance those created by states?
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by AviatorMoney(m): 10:24am On May 31
richiemcgold:

six regions as we currently have.
3 from the south and 3 from the north
Fair division. Thanks
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by lexy2014: 10:29am On May 31
out of 21 items, it is national anthem that tinubu saw to implement
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by lexy2014: 10:30am On May 31
Phantom233:

- 2. Rotation of Presidency

Rotation of Presidency between the North and South and governorship among the three senatorial districts of each state.

You see why this country can never workout as a single entity? We have six geopolitical zones in the country, why is it that when it comes to president we are considering only north and south? Is this not a calculatef approach to marginalized a certain people? Secondly why can't they propose a single tenure of six years to save cos and wastages incured in conducting this their scam elections?

pls what is the benefit of rotational presidency to the ordinary citizen on the street?
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Blakjewelry(m): 10:31am On May 31
mrvitalis:
The only thing lacking here for me is resource control

States should control their resources and pay 50% or 10 billion ( which ever is higher) monthly to the federal government

States who cant meet up should merge with who they want but shall lose federal legislative and ministerial slot ( yes do not have am opinion when you don't contribute)
It was discussed but they leave it like that due to negotiation. They believe really resource control should be done in phases instead of once.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Oneday82: 10:43am On May 31
Nairaland can continue to ban me, but they can't hide the truth.

I'll keep saying it, the only reason some people are shouting ONE NIGERIA is because oil is not found at their states. Take is or leave it, if the only was to be in North, the unity and existence of ONE NIGERIA would have long gone.

The confab report is there... Wait until you see the Oransanya Report. You will understand that this country is sitting at the keg of gun powder.

Tell me what the government has implemented from the report? They left the most important ones and hurriedly rush to pass the old anthem into law. How does that solve our problem?
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by PeterObi4LP: 10:43am On May 31
richiemcgold:
I disagree with number 13. Legislature should be unicameral. But I agree that legislative duties should be on part-time basis.

To me, 8 & 9 are needless. We should revert to regional system. Each region can determine the number of states to have.

And in contrary to number 10, states should have 100% control of their resources and revenue. I don't support the proposed master-slave kind of sharing formula

As for number 2, I wouldn't have said it better than this comment below (although a single tenure of 5 years would've been my recommendation): 👇👇👇

What did you know about government and politics? I'm not from south East but 8 & 9 is very much needed for the zone. Like I said, you are indomie generation and won't understand.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by richiemcgold: 10:46am On May 31
PeterObi4LP:

What did you know about government and politics? I'm not from south East but 8 & 9 is very much needed for the zone. Like I said, you are indomie generation and won't understand.

You should've countered my opinion with yours without throwing insults. Your reaction has already put you in that category of indomie generation. You're no doubt a kid. Don't ever quote me again pls.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by daveP(m): 11:01am On May 31
They jumped to number 19 means they feel 1-18 is difficult and big for them. Smh.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:48am On May 31
victorDanladi:

Your own reasonable fa.ther is a non entity

Okay.
I know you dont have a father.
Re: Summary Of The National CONFAB 2014 Recommendations by Phantom233: 12:09pm On May 31
lexy2014:

pls what is the benefit of rotational presidency to the ordinary citizen on the street?
Have you ever benefited from anything done by the government of Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olaitan Oyerinde, Gov.Oshiomohole's Private Secretary Murdered / APC Leaders Pray For Oyetola Ahead Of Supreme Court Verdict / Buhari: Cyber Terrorists Causing Anxiety In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.