Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,403 members, 7,968,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 05:32 PM

The Cannon With Roses @ 60 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Cannon With Roses @ 60 (106 Views)

HARDSHIP: Ndume Is A Loose Cannon, Careless Talker - Presidency / The Metamorphosis Of Asari Dokubo: The Canon With Roses / Is Reno Omokri, A Loose Cannon Or A Broken Record? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Cannon With Roses @ 60 by aguele(m): 12:33pm On Jun 01
By: Sunday Folorunsho Idowu

“I have the full meaning of myself when I am unbearably unhappy” - Kafka Franz

Miss my gossip partner. An incredible character with a native intelligence. “Proudly Kalabari” is his motto.

He has this curious way of knowing my moods, sending messages, each appropriate as a balm to my ailing heart.

Hmm, “the wizard from Kalabari”, Like Maria in “Sound of Music”, the fake Kano Chief makes me laugh, he makes me happy. He's lucky I told him I am not gay; I would have advised him to be wearing armour as underwear.

He will bring in groundnuts, this is your brother’s groundnut, ditto dates. He mops and cleans the toilet and floors always.

“The floor tiles will fade quicker," I always tease him.

Sometimes, we get serious and emotional about our “Umbrella." His four-year-old daughter is so fond of him that she calls several times daily. My first date with Dates was with our Imam, a handsome goatee-bearded young man. He has this sweet infectious smile, always plastered on his face. He never cease to talk about our “Umbrella's” kindness to other human beings. It seems he has a soft spot for me.

“Alhaji says, we should always pray for you.” He always reminds me of the Prophet’s pity for one who had wealth before and lost it. That has always been his theme to me. He comes to my room to pray for me, either awake or sleeping.
Saw him sober one night, I asked “What the matter”? He said he remembered his late parents Tears and Rains. Reminds me of Everly Brothers - “I do my crying in the rain”.

Yes, Fishes cry, too. In misery, one can find the definition of oneself. Life has no vacuum. If fate plays its pranks, one becomes a philosopher. One loses all when the mind becomes dead to hope and faith.

Our Mama Pastor too, when around, has a way of lifting souls. She has this unflinching faith in God. Late for me to choose either of the faiths, all roads lead to heaven, wherever it is.

House No 2 is an interesting barrack, full of communal laughter and gossip. When you seek the end, there is always a beginning. House No 2 is where we all stay under our “Umbrella.” I had paid a visit to House No 2, and I knew I had become a financial and psychological wreck in burning bubbles of troubles. Alabo said, “Oga Idowu, you must stay with me here.”

Told him, I can’t, that my cigarette smoking will pollute the compound. He insisted, bordering on pleas for me to stay. He will instruct that the bungalow in the compound be cleaned for me while I hold on and stay in one of the main buildings.

“Sir, you can use any of the cars; there are drivers for your personal use.” Benji eventually became not only my driver, but also my Personal Assistant in House No. 2.
Later, from our healthy gossip mill, I learned he was so sad about how my fortune had nosedived.

He immediately placed me on a monthly allowance among his other compassion for me and my family.

Alabo and I often could not look into each other’s eyes; his compassion for me and my family was becoming embarrassing. From the gossip mill, I learned that hundreds like me are on monthly allowances ranging from five hundred thousand naira upwards. Stories of his benevolence abound in our rumour mills.

One is the story of a widow that called him requesting assistance of five hundred thousand naira to start a business. After the call, his head drooped, and he asked no one what 500k would do. He instructed that 5m be sent to her.

Alabo is an interesting character, sober in compassion, which is at variance to his other character, roaring like a lion in anger, which is at numerous times.

I got tired of admonishing him of these high pitched voice for the sake of his health. It’s the “scar” of that long stay in the jungle. He will never change.

You’ll often see youths coming to House No 2 with envelopes. Later learned, they are CVs looking for employment. He has sponsored hundreds of graduates through both government and private universities.

Alabo has thousands of workers of which the minimum wage is one hundred and fifty thousand naira monthly. Read the history of King Arthur and Robin Hood. Alabo is even a better mould of Robin Hood. Hear him - “Take what belongs to me and rule me! No!”

In house No. 2, I became religious; I do prayers with both Muslims and Christians, though I must confess that I am not a committed and adherent worshipper.

I belong to the Aristotle school of thought, that God is Nature. Then on a turbulent flight, it’s the Pagan that will first shout “Blood of Jesus.”

Alabo’s life has been a necklace of sacrifice from many detentions and exiles, which today has left agony of physical pain on him. Among his unseen pains is the mutilation and slaughter of the children of Gaza.

“To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering” - Friedrich Nietzsche

On behalf of Tolu, Tobi, Tomi and Toba, I sincerely wish him and the family more and more glorious years.

(1) (Reply)

Joe Igbokwe Slams Aisha Yesufu For Disrespecting New National Anthem / ‘disclose Siecs’ Members, LGA Results’, Or ..SERAP Tells 36 Govs / REA And EM-ONE Partner To Bring 350MW Renewable Energy To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.