Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,790 members, 7,918,530 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 (15051 Views)

My Tribalistic Encounter With Buhari In 1981 - Ex Man O' War Leader Adewumi / Dino Melaye's Mother Mother In 1981 (Throwback Photo) / Ganduje Giving Kwankwaso A Ride On A Bike In 1981 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 10:40am On Jun 03
Blessedarethepe:

You have no clues about the economy

And your clue is a minimum wage of about half a million naira for federal workers.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 10:41am On Jun 03
maestro299:

But they can buy expensive SUVs for themselves.

Stop defending madness abeg.
If they want the masses to sacrifice, then it has to begin with them too.

What concerns SUVs with a permanent minimum wage of about half a million naira? Do you think governance and economy is about "do me I do you"?
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by blowjohn(m): 10:47am On Jun 03
500k or nothing!

Many nigerians cannot even afford to even flex and eat barbecue and fine wine or juice and some people are saying the money is too much!

When una go begin enjoy for this country?

Na only rice una go dey chop?

Or bread and tea?

Some people never even chop one full fish since January.
Nawa o
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by CaptainLora: 10:52am On Jun 03
Islie:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/nigerias-minimum-wage-in-numbers-from-n125-in-1981-to-over-n490k-demand-in-2024/

In 1981, a liter of petrol cost 15kobo and the price of bread was 50kobo in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Achor1111(m): 11:02am On Jun 03
Show us the value and purchasing power of Naira now and then!
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by OKOATA(m): 11:10am On Jun 03
lailo:
If una see #60k no take am. Let hoebidiot dey deceive u as if their lord and saviour can even raise his to #40k if he were to be the president.
Obidient movement=Igbo presidency.
Even my APC guys are supporting the strike but I understand that people like you that wait on 30k and the politicians that have mortgage your future will side every evil and see nothing wrong. Mr clown your mates are their fighting your generations unborn fight but sitting behind keyboard and typing rubbish. Na Obidient dey make your life miserable. Omo ase.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by maestro299: 11:10am On Jun 03
Image123:

What concerns SUVs with a permanent minimum wage of about half a million naira? Do you think governance and economy is about "do me I do you"?

Stop being deliberately naïve. A government that is forcing parsimony on its citizens, should not go about exhibiting unjustifiable flamboyance. Whatever happened to showing good example?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by OKOATA(m): 11:13am On Jun 03
Image123:

Did you think about how the government would be able to afford anything more? Would you rather they start to owe months of salary and borrow from World Bank and IMF to pay salaries? Do you think of the implications on inflation? Do you think that state governments and private institutions which are the greater percentage would pay up to 60k for minimum wage?
Your senetors go home with nothing less than 17M monthly. I don't blame you cos you are irrelevant. My APC friends are amongst the labour striking so just sit down and let them fight it out not yarning dust.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by occfx: 11:30am On Jun 03
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by tuzle(m): 11:56am On Jun 03
The amount labour is quoting isn't possible but fg self are not serious 60k is nothing and they can do better. Tinubu promised and promised but now that is time to fulfill, they are using excuses.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by praz001(m): 11:58am On Jun 03
Within 7 day, the initial gra gra will go down. For those supporting 400k which is not visible.

Think about the trader, the private sectors who can't pay, the gatman.

Prices of items. Coz I know a bag of rice will be close to 400k as well...
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by praz001(m): 11:58am On Jun 03
Within 7 day, the initial gra gra will go down. For those supporting 400k which is not visible.

We need price control. Price control. Reduction I price of goods..
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Anatolia: 12:14pm On Jun 03
In all fairness, minimum wage should be 250k . If dem like, make dem print money like paper.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 12:22pm On Jun 03
OKOATA:
Your senetors go home with nothing less than 17M monthly. I don't blame you cos you are irrelevant. My APC friends are amongst the labour striking so just sit down and let them fight it out not yarning dust.

Okay, personal accountant of senator. The logical thing to do after your 'divine' revelation is to skyrocket the cost of salary. Or you think that the minimum wage percentage increase would not affect them?
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 12:25pm On Jun 03
maestro299:

Stop being deliberately naïve. A government that is forcing parsimony on its citizens, should not go about exhibiting unjustifiable flamboyance. Whatever happened to showing good example?

i believe that the deliberate naivety here is from your end. Where's the exhibition of unjustified flamboyance that you speak of? What is your idea of good example?
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by OKOATA(m): 12:28pm On Jun 03
Image123:

Okay, personal accountant of senator. The logical thing to do after your 'divine' revelation is to skyrocket the cost of salary. Or you think that the minimum wage percentage increase would not affect them?
Oga subsidy was removed, naira floated yet your govt can't pay abi. Keep defending rubbish even when you know how much your senators are earning. Slave for life. Omo ase.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 12:32pm On Jun 03
OKOATA:
Oga subsidy was removed, naira floated yet your govt can't pay abi. Keep defending rubbish.

Pay what? Naira flotation is actually putting the government in some form of debt. Removal of subsidy doesn't mean that the government can afford to pay every ridiculous fantasy of a salary that you think of. Use a calculator if you failed at simple economics in Secondary school. All the millions and trillions that the FG has been spending and still paying over the past one year is of course nothing to you.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Olaide1295: 12:40pm On Jun 03
chatinent:
I don't even support ₦450k minimum wage. Anything below ₦1m is hardship.

Let's calc what you'll spend @ ₦60k in a month.

Cost of fuel: ₦850/litre (that's about 70 litres which is roughly two weeks trip to work if you have a car). If you don't have a car, you are done for.

Diesel: don't even try it.

Tomato: very expensive.

Security: on God.

NEPA Bill: expensive yet no light.

So you can't pay someone who works for 30 days ₦450k? But your son can wear millions of naira in a wrist watch ⌚ from taxpayer's money.

That is to say if the FG was to pay ₦450k as minimum wage, only one wrist-watch ⌚Tinubu's jobless son wears can pay 768 people of the minimum wage of ₦450k monthly.

Even at ₦30k minimum monthly, Tinubu's son was wearing a wristwatch of 11,534 people.

At the FG new proposed ₦60k minimum wage, Tinubu's jobless son was wearing 5767 ⌚people's monthly pay.

Imagine a jobless son wearing a large number of people's proposed salary ⌚ and his father is refusing employed people access to good life.

Anything below ₦1m minimum wage is suffering. At ₦1m, it's still not fair because according to Tinubu's jobless son's stats, it's 365 person monthly per wristwatch. ⌚

It's still very poor to the electorates. You'd imagine how many watches his son has and the collection on his wardrobe.

And the sad news is that your president is preparing his son for politics to take over someday and this one would actually be more ruthless.

To you, Nigeria is your motherland.

To them, Nigeria is their money making footstool with you as pawns.

It's check mate always.

Spoiler: Even the proposed minimum wage cannot buy you a quality wristwatch! So your time is for nothing!

Tinubu is a recommended failure.
So minimum wage worker drives around? Where in the world is this tenable?
80% of people enter public buses in developed countries.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by OKOATA(m): 12:47pm On Jun 03
Image123:

Pay what? Naira flotation is actually putting the government in some form of debt. Removal of subsidy doesn't mean that the government can afford to pay every ridiculous fantasy of a salary that you think of. Use a calculator if you failed at simple economics in Secondary school. All the millions and trillions that the FG has been spending and still paying over the past one year is of course nothing to you.
Wait so you speak all this English and proffer zero idea of how they can achieve a reasonable minimum wage.

If we can subsidise pilgrimage with 90 billion, no Nigerian worker should earn less than 150k-200k. It is wrong for national assembly members to earn millions of naira and teachers earn 30k minimum wage.
What is the living condition of a common man in Nigeria? How many Nigerians can afford to use plane with the minimum wage?

How many Nigerians can afford band A power line with minimum wage, a custard of garri 2500, a cup of beans 300, a cup of rice 300, a liter of fuel 820.

Nigerians are to survive all these with 60k a month ?
Everything supposed be shut down till something reasonable is agreed on as new minimum wage.
At least 150-200. Quote alright the 450k might be much and I agree on that but the govt should do better that's my own.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by alt3r3g0: 1:40pm On Jun 03
What is it about this 3000 increment per meeting? Are they enjoying this delay?

They should be transparent and show justification for their proposal after all they collected 1billion for this.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Blessedarethepe(m): 1:58pm On Jun 03
Image123:

And your clue is a minimum wage of about half a million naira for federal workers.
it's not bad for an average worker in Nigeria......how much is the equivalence in dollar? Compared to how it was during the past years.
Do you know how the minimum wage of common south Africa? Go to ordinary Morocco.
When minimum wage was 30,000 in many years back, a bag of rice was around 12,000 and utility bills were lesser, even fuel cost was around 100 per litre...... and a bag of rice is now 80k, I know you know all these, yet you still chose to reason otherwise. Don't go outside to talk like this because you can get beaten, you get it?
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 2:00pm On Jun 03
OKOATA:
Wait so you speak all this English and proffer zero idea of how they can achieve a reasonable minimum wage.

If we can subsidise pilgrimage with 90 billion, no Nigerian worker should earn less than 150k-200k. It is wrong for national assembly members to earn millions of naira and teachers earn 30k minimum wage.
What is the living condition of a common man in Nigeria? How many Nigerians can afford to use plane with the minimum wage?

How many Nigerians can afford band A power line with minimum wage, a custard of garri 2500, a cup of beans 300, a cup of rice 300, a liter of fuel 820.

Nigerians are to survive all these with 60k a month ?
Everything supposed be shut down till something reasonable is agreed on as new minimum wage.
At least 150-200. Quote alright the 450k might be much and I agree on that but the govt should do better that's my own.

You are mixing apples and oranges, pilgrimage subsidy has nothing much to do with minimum wage, it has always been subsidised.(Not that i agree with any pilgrimage in the first place, not to talk of its subsidy). Like i said earlier, you'll have to be very dull to think that any increase in the minimum wage would not affect the politicians. Increase goes across board in case you are ignorant, if there's a 100% increase in minimum wage, every person on federal government payroll gets 100% also, and it affects all their bonuses too. You're fighting the wrong fight. Apart from the problem of further inflation, which it will immediately cause, state governments will not comply. Many will be owed salaries for months and many more will be retrenched. Also, more than 90% of the private sector will not and cannot comply with the so called minimum wage but will multiply costs and expenses based on it. Keep doing yourself.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Blessedarethepe(m): 2:05pm On Jun 03
praz001:

We need price control. Price control. Reduction I price of goods..
Price control is okay, but do you know that companies now spend huge amount for production and you would not expect them to charge below cost of production...... right now companies are leaving because people's purchasing power have been reduced and their products are now wasting as a result of reduced demand........
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 2:06pm On Jun 03
Blessedarethepe:
it's not bad for an average worker in Nigeria......how much is the equivalence in dollar? Compared to how it was during the past years.
Do you know how the minimum wage of common south Africa? Go to ordinary Morocco.

You guys are so ignorant and young or what? Do you think minimum wage is just for a select group of poor people? When the FG increases minimum wage, it will affect EVERYBODY on the FG's payroll. Do you think that even this increase by 100% to 60k will not affect your senators? They'll also go home with 100% increase to their salaries, allowances and bonuses. If you think that's reasonable, i don't know what to say. But you're even asking for more. You're asking for 494k from 30k! That is crazy to say the least. How much do you want the schools to call school fees next session after this increase? Or you think it all stops there, and everyone lives happily ever after?
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by nifee01: 2:33pm On Jun 03
A minimum wage of 450k will just put Nigeria in level to country like Zimbabwe.

After the increase expect

1 dollar to be equal 10,000 naira

1 pound to be equal to 13,000 naira

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by OKOATA(m): 3:09pm On Jun 03
Image123:

You are mixing apples and oranges, pilgrimage subsidy has nothing much to do with minimum wage, it has always been subsidised.(Not that i agree with any pilgrimage in the first place, not to talk of its subsidy). Like i said earlier, you'll have to be very dull to think that any increase in the minimum wage would not affect the politicians. Increase goes across board in case you are ignorant, if there's a 100% increase in minimum wage, every person on federal government payroll gets 100% also, and it affects all their bonuses too. You're fighting the wrong fight. Apart from the problem of further inflation, which it will immediately cause, state governments will not comply. Many will be owed salaries for months and many more will be retrenched. Also, more than 90% of the private sector will not and cannot comply with the so called minimum wage but will multiply costs and expenses based on it. Keep doing yourself.
But it was easy to increase fuel from 220/Lt to 700/Lt. It was very easy to increase university tuition from 25k to 300k.
It's very easy, tell Tinubu to return everything back to the old pricee and we forget about new wage increase. Tell the federal government to stop raising the cost of living through their senseless economic policies and watch Labour Union stop calling for increased minimum wage. Copied.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Image123(m): 5:13pm On Jun 03
OKOATA:
But it was easy to increase fuel from 220/Lt to 700/Lt. It was very easy to increase university tuition from 25k to 300k.
It's very easy, tell Tinubu to return everything back to the old pricee and we forget about new wage increase. Tell the federal government to stop raising the cost of living through their senseless economic policies and watch Labour Union stop calling for increased minimum wage. Copied.

Fuel price was not increased, subsidy was removed. And it was never a easy decision, otherwise, it will have been done since 2012. The FG is ready to increase wages, it was part of their campaign promises. What we are saying is that you should be reasonable and realistic, stop asking for amounts like people who smoked colos.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by AlphaTaikun: 7:34pm On Jun 03
Islie:

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has declared an indefinite nationwide strike starting on Monday, June 3, 2024, due to the Federal Government’s refusal to increase the proposed minimum wage above N60,000.

Despite the government’s final offer of N60,000, which included a recent increase from an initial N57,000, the labour unions found the proposal insufficient, setting a new proposal at N494,000.

The Evolution of Nigeria’s Minimum Wage

Early Beginnings

The concept of a minimum wage in Nigeria dates back to the 1950s. The late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, as Premier of the Western Region, implemented the first minimum wage policy in 1954. Western Nigerian workers received a minimum wage that was double the amount paid to their counterparts in other regions. This initial wage policy set a precedent and sparked ongoing discussions about fair labor compensation in the country.

Post-Independence Struggles

Following Nigeria’s independence in 1960, the push for a national minimum wage continued. In 1959, Awolowo, then the President of the Action Group, campaigned vigorously for a five-pound minimum wage for federal workers. Although he lost the 1959 elections to Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the issue of a national minimum wage remained a significant political agenda.

The First National Minimum Wage Law

The first National Minimum Wage Law was enacted by President Shehu Shagari in September 1981, spurred by the advocacy of the Nigerian Labour Congress led by Hassan Sunmonu. The law set a minimum wage of 125 naira per month, equivalent to approximately US$204 at the time.

Subsequent Revisions

Over the years, the minimum wage has undergone several revisions:

2000: Increased to N5,500.

2011: Under President Goodluck Jonathan, it was raised to N18,000.

2019: The National Minimum Wage Act signed by President Muhammadu Buhari established a new wage of N30,000 per month.

The Current Debate

In January 2024, the federal government formed a 37-member tripartite committee to review the National Minimum Wage. However, the committee has not yet reached an agreement. The NLC and Trade Union Congress (TUC) have set a deadline of May 31 for the government to establish a new wage policy. The unions are demanding a minimum wage of at least N60,000.

Some states have unilaterally announced new minimum wages. For example, Edo State approved a new wage of N70,000 effective May 1, 2024, while Lagos State has been paying a wage award of N35,000 since January 2024.

The discussions about the minimum wage are fraught with tension, particularly between state and federal governments. State governments often argue they cannot afford higher wages, while the federal government usually proposes higher rates. This discord reflects a long-standing issue in Nigeria’s wage policy, where economic realities and political promises often clash.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/nigerias-minimum-wage-in-numbers-from-n125-in-1981-to-over-n490k-demand-in-2024/
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by Exceed15: 8:55pm On Jun 03
Useless government but they are quick to pass irrelevant bills to law.
Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:31am On Jun 04
anonimi:

Who gives the politicians power to do whatever they are doing
they don't want that convo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Minimum Wage In Numbers: From N125 In 1981 To Over N490k Demand In 2024 by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:36am On Jun 04
weyreypey:
This is due to the locust philosophy of the political leadership.

No desire to produce but strict consumption.
Wetin you Don produce

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Troops To Launch Air Strikes On Boko-Haram / President Tinubu Has Turned His Back On Rivers APC Because Of Wike – Party Chief / MRS Reduces Diesel Price To ₦‎1,050

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.