Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,441 members, 7,964,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 09:03 PM

My Sister Has A Mental Illness - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Sister Has A Mental Illness (1097 Views)

Help!!! My Sister Is Having A Mental Health Challenge / Sister Has Fibroid But Afraid Of Surgery, Help With Alternative Solutions / Help! My Sister Has Been Spiting Out Blood Since Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 10:58pm On Jun 03
I'm very sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section,I just don't know where to post this, I want it to I get more views so i can recieve help for my sister.

note: I'm not in any way seek for financial assistance, I won't even accept it, I just need advice and recommendations on what to do.

I've a step sister, she's 17 now, the issue we started noticing it around 2022, she always in the back of the house playing, running and talking by herself so we didn't think much of it.. then it got worst and she started running when no one is pursuing her, she started talking to herself 24/7, she stopped going to school or doing chores at all, she now behaves like a little girl..

We've really tried going to mental hospital in Benin, we've gone to churches, we've gone everywhere for help yet no solutions.

As I'm typing this right now, in close to 11pm when the rest of her siblings are sleeping she's busy laughing, talking to herself and running up and down..

Please nairalanders I need your help, if you've experienced such issues or have any solutions so we can try it.

Please don't mock or turn this thread to insults, I genuinely need solution for my sister.

Myndd44 lalasticlala
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by anthonyuncle(m): 11:01pm On Jun 03
What was the diagnosis from the hospital?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by 1stHooligan(m): 11:02pm On Jun 03
Sorry about your experience. Now is the time to take her to those Christ Embassy
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 11:05pm On Jun 03
anthonyuncle:
What was the diagnosis from the hospital?
my parents took her to ugbowo and a mental hospital in Benin, they said nothing is wrong with her that she has anxiety, i was shocked cause i don't really think anxiety can cause that.

They kept giving her an expensive drugs which only made her sleepy..

Sometimes even without the drugs she will appear normal and talk well, other times she will act like before and start misbehaving
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:06pm On Jun 03
Take her to Zion ministry at okota lagos, fhem no born the unclean spirit not to depart from her body. Most of this things are projected into someone's body by frenemies.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Dawson126: 11:12pm On Jun 03
I am really sorry about everything as no one should have experience of what your sister or everyone around her is currently passing through.

My advice:
1. Proper and adequate medical help should be sought after preferably in neuropsychiatry hospitals e.g there is one around your axis and that's in Enugu or you could make use of tertiary healthcare facilities around you like the teaching hospitals, the FMCs if need be, they might refer you to the Neuropsychiatry hospitals. You can make your research on others with good facilities and human resources too. Do it quietly so that unnecessary attention wouldn't be attracted to your family by this issue
2. Seek God's help. Continue to pray. Effective and fervent prayer. Please don't joke with this as it would make everything easier for everyone, including the medical experts
3. Do not provoke her. Do not in any way argue with her. In the med school, during my CSS, that was one important thing I learnt. Just concur with the things she says or wants and don't tense her.
4. I leave more advice to our elders on this forum

7 Likes

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 11:13pm On Jun 03
Thank you all for the advice
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Donpuffy(m): 11:16pm On Jun 03
Sorry about your situation.

This issue can be corrected at this early stage. She has to be tested and know the best drug that will work for her.

This is in no way a spiritual problem, do not take her to any church if you really want solution.

The solution is to take her to FMC Hospital. Locate the nearest Federal Medical Center around you and take her for treatment immediately.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:19pm On Jun 03
Helpmysister:
my parents took her to ugbowo and a mental hospital in Benin, they said nothing is wrong with her that she has anxiety, i was shocked cause i don't really think anxiety can cause that.

Sometimes even without the drugs she will appear normal and talk well, other times she will act like before and start misbehaving
anxi wetin? Someone have projected an unclean spirit into her life hence her abnormal behavior. They should suspend the drugs for now so it doesn't cause harm to her system, how long una wan give her sleeping pills with no improvement? People here will give u different advice on what to do, you know everybody likes forming woke online they don't believe there's a dark realm where wickedness are being orchestrated and sent to mankind to cause destruction and death. Dont make the mistake of taking her to a voodoo priest or anywhere they dont mention the name JESUS! You have taken her to different churches I know, but try nd bring her to Zion you will know that Alter pass Alter.
NB: I am not a zion member but the "mmuo" spirits operating in Zion no be child's.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by PROPHETmichael: 11:22pm On Jun 03
Message me
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by givedemwotowoto: 11:28pm On Jun 03
Take her to another hospital for a second opinion. There are many possible issues that this could be including:

- Schizophrenia (Usually number 1 suspect)

- Severe Anxiety (which they already diagnosed)

- PTSD (Any serious family trauma from the past?)

- Neurological Disorder I’ve heard of people with brain tumors manifesting in similar ways

- Substance Abuse (If she belongs to some group in school involved in substance abuse. Children of these days

- Bipolar Disorder

- Undiagnosed developmental disorder because many Nigerians rarely visit hospitals for routine checks that could reveal issues early

- Autism Spectrum Disorder (on the rare end based on her age but it’s still a slight possibility)

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 11:40pm On Jun 03
givedemwotowoto:
Take her to another hospital for a second opinion. There are many possible issues that this could be including:

- Schizophrenia (Usually number 1 suspect)

- Severe Anxiety (which they already diagnosed)

- PTSD (Any serious family trauma from the past?)

- Neurological Disorder I’ve heard of people with brain tumors manifesting in similar ways

- Substance Abuse (If she belongs to some group in school involved in substance abuse. Children of these days

- Bipolar Disorder

- Undiagnosed developmental disorder because many Nigerians rarely visit hospitals for routine checks that could reveal issues early

- Autism Spectrum Disorder (on the rare end based on her age but it’s still a slight possibility)
I actually went to Google Schizophrenia and it really shows most of the characteristics she's behaving, the problem now is the solution cause I don't think doctors in benin knows what to do in this case, I'm so confused
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by AmiableMosquito: 12:05am On Jun 04
Helpmysister:
I actually went to Google Schizophrenia and it really shows most of the characteristics she's behaving, the problem now is the solution cause I don't think doctors in benin knows what to do in this case, I'm so confused
He's right. Schizophrenia is usually the number 1 culprit.
I have a sibling who's suffering from this too. Please visit a good psychiatric hospital. Truly, the drugs they administer (usually Olanzapine or Risperidone or a few others) usually cause them to sleep and eat a lot. But if you look at it, sleeplessness is usually the first sign whenever that episode begins. So she needs to be sleeping well.

Also, forget about all these people that are talking about one alter or the other. It doesn't really help. Let her be using her drugs and be praying for her with faith instead of taking her from one church to another. We learnt the hard way.

Finally, those with schizophrenia don't like taking their drugs, so you guys should find a means to always ensure she takes her medication as at when due. Sudden withdrawal from the drug has its side effect and the relapse is usually terrible.

There are many prominent people including present and ex governors, ex ministers etc that are living with this illness but using their drugs and living a normal life. I just can't mention names here.

Finally, you guys should avoid anything that will trigger her like yelling at her or making her feel less loved.
May God grant her a speedy healing. Amen

8 Likes

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by MaziObinnaokija: 12:39am On Jun 04
sad WICKED people are behind it but God will DISGRACE/SHAME them.Kip praying for her. May the WICKED ones behind this Dance with basket from RING ROAD to Ogba zoo,enter Afuze to Asaba,Onitsha, to Enugu back to Ore
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by abba190: 1:05am On Jun 04
Helpmysister:

this is not a hospital case
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Maks27: 4:23am On Jun 04
Seun
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Papilagreen: 4:43am On Jun 04
Bro am sorry I can feel your worry in your words as you write this post.

I just want you to know this. Mental illness is real and most people live with it and never know while most people know about it and deal with it. While others who have this don't know what to do because they are not mentally balanced to act.

In Nigeria people will say take her to church so they pray for her that she is demon possessed.

I m here to tell you today that it is a normal thing.
I only knew this after a while. There are different medications for this depending on the the chemical imbalance in the brain.
In Nigeria we are not well trained phycologist to handle this issues.
But I am here to tell you today that it's not easy living with her but for the love you have for her try and protect her from the world outside.
Such people are always a blessing to the family on the long run.
Stay blessed bro.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by notttty(m): 5:46am On Jun 04
Yes anxiety can cause it especially traumatic ones, like child molestation, rape and most rape n threat to life .
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 5:56am On Jun 04
Thanks y'all, I appreciate your inputs
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Ephort: 7:39am On Jun 04
AmiableMosquito:
He's right. Schizophrenia is usually the number 1 culprit.
I have a sibling who's suffering from this too. Please visit a good psychiatric hospital. Truly, the drugs they administer (usually Olanzapine or Risperidone or a few others) usually cause them to sleep and eat a lot. But if you look at it, sleeplessness is usually the first sign whenever that episode begins. So she needs to be sleeping well.

Also, forget about all these people that are talking about one alter or the other. It doesn't really help. Let her be using her drugs and be praying for her with faith instead of taking her from one church to another. We learnt the hard way.

Finally, those with schizophrenia don't like taking their drugs, so you guys should find a means to always ensure she takes her medication as at when due. Sudden withdrawal from the drug has its side effect and the relapse is usually terrible.

There are many prominent people including present and ex governors, ex ministers etc that are living with this illness but using their drugs and living a normal life. I just can't mention names here.

Finally, you guys should avoid anything that will trigger her like yelling at her or making her feel less loved.
May God grant her a speedy healing. Amen

OP, read this post again. I have nothing much to add. My wife has a similar challenge (schizo-affective disorder). The earlier you seek a good medical solution, the better. Yes, they don't like taking drugs, and are highly illogical, paranoid, etc. Do not discontinue medication for any reason, even when she starts getting well. Mental issues take long to heal and drug discontinuation is gradual. If not, it'll resurface. Again, whether you take her to the church or not, never stop her medication!! Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by benefitzte: 7:39am On Jun 04
notttty:
Yes anxiety can cause it especially traumatic ones, like child molestation, rape and most rape n threat to life .
Look in this direction @ Op.

PROPHETmichael:
Message me

Don't contact him, if he had anything to contribute he would have done it here like others.
May God guide you in the right path as I believe the solution is getting closer and you shall come back here with gratitude.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by PROPHETmichael: 7:58am On Jun 04
benefitzte:

Look in this direction @ Op.

Don't contact him, if he had anything to contribute he would have done it here like others.
May God guide you in the right path as I believe the solution is getting closer and you shall come back here with gratitude.

That's totally find and as a matter of fact, Jesus once dropped this life changing wisdom, Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do” (Mt 9:12)
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:12am On Jun 04
fuckingAyaya:
anxi wetin? Someone have projected an unclean spirit into her life hence her abnormal behavior. They should suspend the drugs for now so it doesn't cause harm to her system, how long una wan give her sleeping pills with no improvement? People here will give u different advice on what to do, you know everybody likes forming woke online they don't believe there's a dark realm where wickedness are being orchestrated and sent to mankind to cause destruction and death. Dont make the mistake of taking her to a voodoo priest or anywhere they dont mention the name JESUS! You have taken her to different churches I know, but try nd bring her to Zion you will know that Alter pass Alter.
NB: I am not a zion member but the "mmuo" spirits operating in Zion no be child's.

Stop misleading people with your superstitious beliefs
People have the same psychiatric problem all over the world and are able to see it as what it is, but in Nigeria, it must be spiritual, just like our economic woes!
You superstitious beings should rest, please.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by AcadaWriter: 8:17am On Jun 04
What was the diagnosis from the hospital? ... Ah, need help with your academic papers? Contact us.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Verbtips(m): 9:38am On Jun 04
Hmmmm,did she has some sanity left,
if no,i no fit help.
if yes,ask her some question
in a tricky way,or it should sound normal to her hearing,
after you are done with the inteview mention me with the result
note:she should always be in a noisefree enviroment,try as much as possible to make her sleep
you can also pet her,give her what she requested
if it is not harmful to her and her health in personal
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by marsup: 9:40am On Jun 04
She's probably schizophrenic.
There's no cure, but can be managed.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Richkid2021(m): 10:50am On Jun 04
Get her this drug

Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by AmiableMosquito: 12:45pm On Jun 04
Ephort:

OP, read this post again. I have nothing much to add. My wife has a similar challenge (schizo-affective disorder). The earlier you seek a good medical solution, the better. Yes, they don't like taking drugs, and are highly illogical, paranoid, etc. Do not discontinue medication for any reason, even when she starts getting well. Mental issues take long to heal and drug discontinuation is gradual. If not, it'll resurface. Again, whether you take her to the church or not, never stop her medication!! Good luck.
Bless you brother. Thank you for being a very supportive husband. I wish your wife total recovery. What you added is very informative and apt.
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by jayhex19: 1:45pm On Jun 04
Let me add, we have used this on someone with a mental case and also seizure and they were fine overtime. Go to yoruba herb sellers
Get
Egbo atorin
Egbo asofeyeje
Eso werepe (velvet seed)

Grind everything to powder. Give her a tea spoon morning and evening using pap.

She will sleep o. But will be better.

Please don't stop her hospital drug. No interaction.

Please try it. I am giving this for free
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by jayhex19: 1:45pm On Jun 04
marsup:
She's probably schizophrenic.
There's no cure, but can be managed.

Well I don't know for you. But I know 3 people that are fine
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by Helpmysister: 4:03pm On Jun 04
Thank you all for your inputs
Re: My Sister Has A Mental Illness by oxygenator: 4:04pm On Jun 04
Helpmysister:
I'm very sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section,I just don't know where to post this, I want it to I get more views so i can recieve help for my sister.

note: I'm not in any way seek for financial assistance, I won't even accept it, I just need advice and recommendations on what to do.

I've a step sister, she's 17 now, the issue we started noticing it around 2022, she always in the back of the house playing, running and talking by herself so we didn't think much of it.. then it got worst and she started running when no one is pursuing her, she started talking to herself 24/7, she stopped going to school or doing chores at all, she now behaves like a little girl..

We've really tried going to mental hospital in Benin, we've gone to churches, we've gone everywhere for help yet no solutions.

As I'm typing this right now, in close to 11pm when the rest of her siblings are sleeping she's busy laughing, talking to herself and running up and down..

Please nairalanders I need your help, if you've experienced such issues or have any solutions so we can try it.

Please don't mock or turn this thread to insults, I genuinely need solution for my sister.

Myndd44 lalasticlala

I wanted to write a similar article but found this one. Read it and you will understand. But if you do not understand you can ask questions and I will answer.

https://cincinnatihyperbarics.com/research/schizophrenia/

Babies who were deprived of oxygen at birth are not always completely treated when discharged home. More treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber with 100% oxygen under a specified pressure is required to completely heal the brain.

Supplemental oxygen received in the ICU is not enough. So the patient needs HBOT.

We can come to her rescue only on request. There are no substitute or alternative to HBOT and the attending physician.

We are HBOT PROVIDERS

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Must Read For Ladies: BRAZZILLIAN Hair Can Cause Cronic Headache / Whats The Medicine That Improve Sex Time 4 Men / Is It Healthy For Men To Wear Tight Panties?! Please Help!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.