Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,909 members, 7,909,415 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 02:20 AM

Migraine Headache - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Migraine Headache (646 Views)

How Can I Cure Migraine Headache Caused By Sex / Any Known Cure For Migraine Headache? / Migraine Headache (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Migraine Headache by ade4rskaj: 10:30pm On Nov 25, 2011
migraine headache

A is a form of vascular headache. Migraine headache is caused by vasodilatation (enlargement of blood vessels) that causes the release of chemicals from nerve fibers that coil around the large arteries of the brain. Enlargement of these blood vessels stretches the nerves that coil around them and causes the nerves to release chemicals. The chemicals cause inflammation, pain, and further enlargement of the artery. The increasing enlargement of the arteries magnifies the pain.

Migraine attacks commonly activate the sympathetic nervous system in the body. The sympathetic nervous system is often thought of as the part of the nervous system that controls primitive responses to stress and pain, the so-called "fight or flight" response, and this activation causes many of the symptoms associated with migraine attacks; for example, the increased sympathetic nervous activity in the intestine causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Sympathetic activity also delays emptying of the stomach into the small intestine and thereby prevents oral medications from entering the intestine and being absorbed.

The impaired absorption of oral medications is a common reason for the ineffectiveness of medications taken to treat migraine headaches.

The increased sympathetic activity also decreases the circulation of blood, and this leads to pallor of the skin as well as cold hands and feet.

The increased sympathetic activity also contributes to the sensitivity to light and sound sensitivity as well as blurred vision.

Migraine afflicts 28 million Americans, with females suffering more frequently (17%) than males (6%). Missed work and lost productivity from migraine create a significant public burden. Nevertheless, migraine still remains largely underdiagnosed and undertreated. Less than half of individuals with migraine are diagnosed by their doctors.
Re: Migraine Headache by oliv(f): 3:31pm On Nov 27, 2011
hi
    I do have severe  headache at the left hand side of my head and my eyes get sensitive to light and its been five years now could this be migraine?
Re: Migraine Headache by gijaney: 8:52am On Nov 28, 2011
oliv:

hi
    I do have severe  headache at the left hand side of my head and my eyes get sensitive to light and its been five years now could this be migraine?

classic migrane
Re: Migraine Headache by oliv(f): 10:30am On Nov 28, 2011
pls is it curable? Coz it really hurts
Re: Migraine Headache by dominique(f): 8:53pm On Nov 30, 2011
nice one there poster. it'll be nice if you can also post how to prevent, manage or treat the condition.
Re: Migraine Headache by gijaney: 4:32pm On Dec 01, 2011
oliv:

there are NO cures for migraines, they are a genetic condition. there are however TREATMENTS, dont confuse the two. you can use a cold compress on the base of your neck or temples, peppermint oil on your temple, tiger balm on your temple, reflexology, acupuncture, caffeine, sleep, avoid noise and light (works best) and time. no two people respond the same and what works for a migraine today might not work for your next. your nerves and blood vessels in your brain are spamming causing the waves of pain. think of it like a hiccup, sometimes time is the only thing that helps. if you have them you, most likely your kids will too
Re: Migraine Headache by gijaney: 8:41pm On Dec 01, 2011
oliv:

no it is not

only can treat the symptoms
Re: Migraine Headache by gijaney: 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2011
dominique:

nice one there poster. it'll be nice if you can also post how to prevent, manage or treat the condition.
spam bot removed my posting.

managing it is hard, have to either sleep through it and wait till it goes away or deal with it. more common in women then men. preventing is to avoid what ever your individual trigger is. smells, sounds, moods, if you consume alot of caffeine you can get them from going through withdraw if you dont have any caffeine for a while can get it because of your hormones too
Re: Migraine Headache by dominique(f): 10:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
gijaney:

spam bot removed my posting

managing it is hard, have to either sleep through it and wait till it goes away or deal with it.  more common in women then men.  preventing is to avoid what ever your individual trigger is.  smells, sounds, moods, if you consume alot of caffeine you can get them from going through withdraw if you dont have any caffeine for a while  can get it because of your hormones too

its been taken care of.

thanks for the info

(1) (Reply)

How Cure Bad Breath / Effective Weight Loss Tips / The 11 Best Ways To Ease A Hangover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.