Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,884 members, 7,980,083 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 04:09 AM

Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son (41609 Views)

Man And His Pregnant Wife Found Dead In Their Abuja Home (Photos) / Moradeun Balogun Dies As Jolad Hospital, Gbagada Refuses Her Treatment / Man Takes His Son To The Hospital In A Wheelbarrow In Imo State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Emma1Oj(m): 6:50am On Jun 06
I like refering everyone to GENERAL HOSPITA.. The Doc there are Good.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by thatigboman: 6:51am On Jun 06
gaby:
Wow..speechless.

Such a huge baby.

So sorry for your loss. It seems from your detailed narrative that all of these could have been avoided.

At the heart of this painful story is the below from the grieving husband:

He recalled: "Early into the Pregnancy, we discussed with Dr Marcus that we were Jehovah's witnesses and we seek bloodless medical and surgical care which he was comfortable with. We also made a durable power of attorney document available 2 months prior to delivery.

The Doctor and hospital will try to latch onto this to explain away the "alleged" negligence.

This promises to be a very interesting case as the husband in question is very well learned in the field and also very detailed.
the bolded is the cause of death
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by dominique(f): 6:54am On Jun 06
thatigboman:
no be only disciplinary action. CS without blood transfusion? How is that possible?
Seems u are a witness or u don't know those guys. People that will be taken to hospital emergency ward with broken bones and blood gushing out and still refuse blood transfusion. Why go to the hospital? They should take them to their kingdom hall for treatment

I had a CS without blood transfusion even though my PCV was running low towards the end of the pregnancy. From the disturbing photo of the blood stained OR floor, it's obvious the doctors botched the surgery and they need to explain what led to that level of blood loss.

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by CaptainGo: 6:55am On Jun 06
Juoflife1:
When the water breaks and she's not contracting, she should have been sectioned, not induced. A baby in the womb without water is already stressed

Noted
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by franchasofficia: 6:56am On Jun 06
Juoflife1:
When the water breaks and she's not contracting, she should have been sectioned, not induced. A baby in the womb without water is already stressed
Exactly.

The root cause of the problem is the couple's religious belief.

The hospital was being careful with their religious belief.

C-section remains the safest for birthing. As soon as they noticed that she ruptured without contracting after hours, they should have went for c-section immediately.

But I am sure they were being careful because of the couple's religious belief.

How humans endanger their lives because of some odd religious beliefs and doctrines, sighs

This story hurts cry

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by CaptainGo: 6:57am On Jun 06
o123456789:
I know what killed both the mother and child because in 2021 I was also a victim of this kind of incident, but I was lucky only the baby died, at one hospital here in Benin City, Edo state.

The reasons are as follows:
1. Never induce labour due to ruptured membrane, because after the ruptured membrane the baby will adapt to the new environment inside the mother's womb, and original labour will come on its own in 2 to 3 days after the outflow of water from the mother.

2. Avoid overly large babies by shunning any thing cold drink even if it is cold water, and also avoid sweet mouth (too much sugar).

3. Eat light food only, once you notice labour.

4. Always deliver at local birth attendants place, the rate of safe delivery from these traditional midwives are 99.9 percent over herein Benin City Edo state. Their services are amazing.

If the above listed items were followed, then the delivery would have been successful.

Noted
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by franchasofficia: 7:03am On Jun 06
mediclife1987:

Well you've chosen to listen to the deafening noise of irate Nigerians whenever we go on strike.

While pay is a part of our demands, adequate staffing and infrastructural overhaul tops the lists of our demands, as he who would demand a better pay must prove to his boss he deserves it, which can only be gotten when he has good tools and more colleagues to work and rub minds with.

Unfortunately Nigerians and the Nigerian government would gaslight you till you turn around and blame the doctors and you'll eventually wonder why your friend goes to the hospital and sees no doctor.

Doctors are tired of fighting cause no one would listen to them. Na to hustle and japa remain now, whoever wants to be Captain save Nigeria like poor Dr. Marcus can stay behind.

This should make me increase the tempo for my japa plans sef.

God has been saving me from stuffs like this since 2011, I shouldn't be testing God too much, cos that's what staying back in Nigeria looks like. undecided
The Nigerian government under Ebola Tinubu has put so many measures in place to prevent Nigerian Doctors and Nurses from traveling abroad, or you are not aware?

Buhari forced WHO to add Nigeria back to the red list countries which have made it more difficult for Doctors and Nurses from Nigeria to secure job abroad.

All of una must join the renewed hope agenda to save Nigeria by force.

On your manhood we shall stand.

Bola on your manhood
Bola on your manhood
Bola on your manhood we shall stand cheesy
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by TONYE001(m): 7:04am On Jun 06
dominique:

I had a CS without blood transfusion even though my PCV was running low towards the end of the pregnancy. From the disturbing photo of the blood stained OR floor, it's obvious the doctors botched the surgery and they need to explain what led to that level of blood loss.

That level of blood loss is most likely due to uterine rupture...not botched surgery.

3 Likes

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Namzy(m): 7:07am On Jun 06
Juoflife1:

That's not what you do. Rupture of membrane is not an indication for CS. You still have amniotic fluid remaining after rupture don't think if rupture of membrane occurs all fluid is gone. Following premature rupture of membrane (PROM) you can either actively manage by inducing or expectantly manage by waiting for contractions to start by while ensuring feto maternal vital signs monitoring and intervening when contractions don't start after some specified time. CS is for obstetric indication. In her situation as a jehova witness, CS will usually be for obstetric indication unless the couple wants it. In all careful counselling is key as you have to explain the pros and cons for each procedure for the couple to make an informed decision.
It's a sad one. My only problem is was there really uterine hyperstimulation and was there suspected fetal distress? Was a diagnosis of uterine rupture made inside the theater?
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Agadinaagwuofe: 7:14am On Jun 06
Procashtips:

Did he say he rejected CS in all the writeup?

We only saw where he agreed with a CS, so why should we work with your own assumption of him changing mouth later?

For him to come out to blame the hospital, as a medical person himself, he knows how far.

Oga it's you that's not reading between the lines. Informing the doctor about their belief and making him sign power of attorney on behalf of any litigation shows that some certain medical procedures shouldn't be administered. I don't care what the chats says because it can be misconstrued. The only reason to notify the doctor about their belief is because he will never allow transfusion and how will the doctor perform CS on a patient averse to blood transfusion. Just tell me how
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Fragility6: 7:22am On Jun 06
Joshaw8:

Do you know wat people feel about c/s in this part of the country ,some people see it as a taboo ,until it becomes an emergency, people consent to c/s freely in advance world
Argue like somebody that has sense please. I'm not talking about cases where cs was rejected here. I'm talking about women that died after cs complications. The first case i heard, doctor forgot an equipment in the woman's tummy.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Blendy77(f): 7:26am On Jun 06
cococandy:

But you don’t know if he would have refused or not. Besides c-section can be offered without blood transfusion

I know once everyone heard Jehovah’s Witnesses, they were ready to blame him immediately ( and I get it) but his narration makes sense from a medical point of view

It should not take hours for a doctor to come in and assess in an emergency. Every minute is crucial . This hospital system killed his wife. Not his religious belief this time

My Dear, life no hard. He should hav taken his wife to JW to give birth na. How can u give a professional conditions and make him sign documents to ensure compliance and in emergency expect him to undo your wish? This same man crying here wod hav sued their ass. All this one he's writing here and crying awoof is cut and paste from what lawyers told him. Sad thing is max one yr he wod move on with another wife

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by YoshihideSuga: 7:27am On Jun 06
franchasofficia:
The Nigerian government under Ebola Tinubu has put so many measures in place to prevent Nigerian Doctors and Nurses from traveling abroad, or you are not aware?

Buhari forced WHO to add Nigeria back to the red list countries which have made it more difficult for Doctors and Nurses from Nigeria to secure job abroad.

I want to know please, what about nurses who stay the required three years after graduation, then write nclex exam to japa?
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by JuanDeDios: 7:27am On Jun 06
pocohantas:
And some people say a woman giving birth is akin to a goat doing same? Ah!

RIP to mother and child.
This is a painful loss.
Most are. Uneventful. Some women even opt to do it at home. Alone. But it's wrong to generalise since some are fraught with complications and people even die.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by kayperry: 7:42am On Jun 06
pocohantas:
And some people say a woman giving birth is akin to a goat doing same? Ah!

RIP to mother and child.
This is a painful loss.

is there any easier way for a goat to give birth than a woman

was the comparison even necessary

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Reelmii: 7:43am On Jun 06
Miramonica:
can you see hpw stupid, hopeless and insentitve you are. Idiot just full this country I swear.

Someone just shared his ordeal, and all an idiot like you is interested in is pronouncing his surname.. fool you are!
🤣🤣🤣🤣.. na on top my matter u pour all this energy.....really 😅😅😅

Well thank u for the telling me ur names.....they really fit u👍
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by NwokoloOwa: 7:44am On Jun 06
So sorry for your loss.

From your countenance and delivery on the video, something tells me that your insistence on the so-called normal delivery caused all this. I maybe wrong. My wife is a medical practitioner and she has narrated several such experience where spouses because of their religious belief stubbornly endanger their life (in case of the woman herself) or that their wife (by the man insisting), and child.

May your wife and son rest in peace.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by Barrywilly(m): 7:44am On Jun 06
I agree with you 100%. Immediately, I saw "we are Jehovah witnesses" I gave up on the man. He must have been told that CS was the safest route for both mother and child but he blatantly refused because of religious blood concerns. Had the operation been carried out a week earlier, all these wouldn't have happened. I have to sectioned my wife at 37 weeks even without any signs of labor to avoid this kind of story. To the glory of God, my twins are 3 months old and bouncing. May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace.
seborrhic:
Unfortunate series of events,but what I find troubling and suspicious in his narrative of events is this:if your wife was not contracting after rupture of the membranes,what the hospital did was what any other standard facility would do,they started with cytotec,at the lowest dose recommended,repeated when there was still no noticeable contraction,then scaled up to oxytocin.
The one issue I found with the Hospital management is that they would have exhausted the full 4 dose regimen of cytotec before starting with oxytocin.
The problem with dealing with men like this that feel they know it all from what they read is that you must play everything by the book,if not they would use one issue as being the cause of a mishap.
All these things he mentioned, paediatrician being present,physician,using infusion pump,partograph,CTG monitor,etc,even in advanced countries they are not as it's made out to be where all these personnel and instruments would be available.
I bet if he had been told from the onset that his wife needed to be sectioned,he would have blatantly refused and told them to exhaust every other means.
But here he is finding fault with every step taken.
It's sad he has lost both wife and child,but finding fault with every step is just ridiculous.
His wife came by 11am with no issues,was he expecting the consultant to be on ground monitoring an expected uneventful labour?
Let the hospital say it's own side of the story.
Mishaps happen all over the world and there is no where every case is done by the book.
It's sad and may God grant him the fortitude to bear the loss.

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by TONYE001(m): 7:50am On Jun 06
Namzy:

That's not what you do. Rupture of membrane is not an indication for CS. You still have amniotic fluid remaining after rupture don't think if rupture of membrane occurs all fluid is gone. Following premature rupture of membrane (PROM) you can either actively manage by inducing or expectantly manage by waiting for contractions to start by while ensuring feto maternal vital signs monitoring and intervening when contractions don't start after some specified time. CS is for obstetric indication. In her situation as a jehova witness, CS will usually be for obstetric indication unless the couple wants it. In all careful counselling is key as you have to explain the pros and cons for each procedure for the couple to make an informed decision.
It's a sad one. My only problem is was there really uterine hyperstimulation and was there suspected fetal distress? Was a diagnosis of uterine rupture made inside the theater?

There may have been uterine hyperstimulation...as for foetal distress, this was certainly the case. That neonate was distressed...if for nothing, because his/her descent was obstructed down the outlet + the uterine rupture that may have also been the case.

Another way to look at it. If I had a JW under my management, and her baby's EFW is 3.9, if I do not know the EFW of her first confinement (very unlikely sha), and her contractions have been inadequate like this... despite the initial use of misoprostol, and I know they won't receive transfusion...I'm going to have a VERY LOW THRESHOLD for CS....

While you and I know patients' stories are never 100% accurate, this one here is already suggestive of a whole lot of things....though the man is not being realistic.

For example, how many centres in this country (tertiary centres inclusive) use pumps for oxytocin drip? Most of us depend on gravity...but with a CAREFULLY controlled drop rate.

Here at my centre, we don do plenty procedures for JW... without blood..but them get blood substitute sha.

Another thing I'm suspecting is that the chief of the centre may not have been well informed about the progress of the case. This is why I no dey play with vertical passage of information.

It's a sad event, highly preventable...but let's just wait for the hospital's response.

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by JuanDeDios: 7:50am On Jun 06
dontrulee:
Management of prelabour and labour stage was definitely subpar... The hospital may be at fault, but it's almost similar in all other health care facilities in Nigeria if not worse.

Induction wasn't the best option in this case, oxytocin infusion was too long predisposing to a ruptured uterus from hyper stimulation.

A lot of steps and protocols were overlooked probably because she wasn't a Primi but that's isn't an excuse.

It pains me as an obstetrician and gynecologist hearing or seeing maternal mortality. The pain is great, and I follow standard protocols to reduce it to its barest minimum.

Please I have a question. No vex.

Can someone avoid all this trouble by opting for an elective CS from the get go - whether primi or multi?
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by JuanDeDios: 7:51am On Jun 06
Lagusta:
Hmmmmmmmm

This is a sad story indeed

Well, as a doctor, I have these points to drop

1. As a JW, he has the full right to reject anything blood, but he can still perform surgeries on his wife and allow blood substitutes like tothema

2. The so-called Gynecologist/obstetrician made some errors. Pre-labour rupture of membranes in a multigravid without any obvious sign of contraction, with an estimated birth weight of 3.9kg is a very clear indication of CS until proven otherwise. I am not a gynae bit I have entered theatre many times so I know this.

3. Never mess with medical personnel. Some of them DO know their onions. This anaesthetist nurse knows the fulk BLS protocol of resuscitation.

4. It's so painful that this young man lost both mother and baby on the same day. R-jolad should really scrutinize the kind of medical practitioners they employ. The bereaved should take the matter to MDCN disciplinary committee for further action.

5. May God comfort the bereaved. Ọmọ this one hit home embarassed embarassed

Can someone avoid all this trouble by opting for an elective CS from the get go - whether primi or multi?
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by dannie007(m): 7:54am On Jun 06
This is How I lost my Beautiful Wife and Daughter. Nigeria is a Mess. May God Heal you Sir.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by dannie007(m): 7:57am On Jun 06
Yes!

JuanDeDios:

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by akaahs(m): 8:02am On Jun 06
6jis narration just sent a cool shiver into my spine. My wife is 39 weeks pregnant, lord take control.

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by kayperry: 8:03am On Jun 06
cococandy:

This is literally not true.

Pls go away. I’m not ready to engage with anyone who’s intentionally misrepresenting the facts as stated in the OP

how about you don't judge matters from one side report, even in the chat ahead of the labor date seems the doctor had advised for a C-section
how you arrived at your facts listening to one end .. should be investigate & prosecuted undecided

1 Share

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by NoToPile: 8:04am On Jun 06
cococandy:
He was in a different hospital while all this was happening

A big system failure.

This you stated is the problem some people have with lots of private hospitals here in Naija, their doctors can be used around their branches or you have a consultant shuffling between hospitals, possibly because they can't pay one to be standby.

As stressful as general hospitals (at least in Lagos) are. There will always be a senior doctor in different specialties around, especially in pregnancy and delivery matters, you might not see them but if things want to get complicated you get to hear go and call Dr so so so.

I always tell people I know who want to have babies, if you are using a private hospital ensure it's of the highest standards, ensure they have a blood bank, Neonatal care - phototherapy, incubator, etc have qualified peeps around because things can go haywire and time will be crucial. If you can't guarantee that just jejely get to one maternal child care center in Lagos general hospitals and at least register.

Sometimes it's better you even register at a primary health center than some private hospitals here in this Lagos, because they have ambulances that can move to the nearest general.

The only problem is general hospitals can be stressful, antenatal is practically the whole day because of crowd sad

Then there are very standard private hospitals, the best of the best ehen those ones have it all.

The abscence of the doctors caused this brouhaha. It's so painful

1 Like

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by franchasofficia: 8:05am On Jun 06
YoshihideSuga:

I want to know please, what about nurses who stay the required three years after graduation, then write nclex exam to japa?
Nclex-rn no issue because US nursing council have given Nigerian nurses a waiver on verification and US employers no send WHO red list bullshiiit lol. So if your target is to write Nclex-rn and relocate to US, then your issue with Naija wicked government policies on healthcare professionals is reduced but if your target is UK, Ireland, MiddleEast, etc, e go hard
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by nnekaike(f): 8:10am On Jun 06
Appletek:

The man is a JW.
Do you understand how irrational they can be when faced with options like this?
please spare us this talk.
Am a JW ,i had my two kids Via CS.

Infact I had Severe pre-eclampsia,a very critical condition,the hospital I used managed the situation properly. I did my two surgeries with a PCV of 34% and I was perfectly fine.

With a PCV of 39, she was absolutely fine ,just pray you find yourself in good hospitals and in the hands of Good doctors when in critical medical situations.

I only fault the husband because with his medical knowledge,he should have insisted on immediate CS or taken her out of there to another hospital.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by franchasofficia: 8:10am On Jun 06
akaahs:
6jis narration just sent a cool shiver into my spine. My wife is 39 weeks pregnant, lord take control.
Nothing will happen to your wife, just be prepared for C-section and tell them ahead that you are not against C-section should that be the best solution to ensure your wife delivers successfully without issues.

Nigerians and their natural abi traditional hatred for women giving birth through C-section is one of the major problems birthing women experience in Nigeria, whereas it seems to be the safest if done by an experienced person.

3 Likes

Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by ozo13(m): 8:19am On Jun 06
Babangidapikin:
Take heart ...the Doctor probably under staff trying to do his best . It is a different thing if it is a planned surgery then other personnel would be on ground.
while doing my o n g posting I witnessed a Jehovah witness who said they don't want blood transfusion and it is always dramatic.I love the Consultant on duty that day, he kept everyone on their toes till the lady delivered with alot of dramas.
In this case the weight is 3.9kg and looking like a case of failed induction so CS should have been the case and definitely blood would be needed in CS in most case and husband already say no blood transfusion, a very dicey situation.You know Nigeria things nah, people would wanna push the blame to the next person.
Obs and gyna dept is a place u don't tell them you don't want blood transfusion because things could go south even with blood transfusion. I remember one case the house officer told me the lab were complaining already as he has loaned 5 pints of blood already.it is a sad case.May God give the man the fortitude to bear the loss.Not easy at all.
I remember one case also the woman stayed at home labor for 2days and baby died and still obstructed so had to come to hospital.sha had a complex cervical laceration,bleed profusely and later had to enter the theatre to receive the best of care to save her life(hysterectomy).
May God bless our women.A pregnant woman can be laughing with you and in the next 1hour she is gone just because she want to give birth.
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by dapotemi: 8:20am On Jun 06
1Sharon:

What evidence? Show me where he was open about CS. By the way, it's not even his decision to make. It's his wife's.

Ah mogbe o....Oya no response..
Re: Prince Ovwiomodiowho Accuses R-Jolad Hospital In Death Of Pregnant Wife, Son by lululovesblue(f): 8:20am On Jun 06
They always seem to think it makes the woman less of a woman. Very nonsense mentality. One elderly woman in my street was arguing that children born through CS don't have rights to claim inheritance. Wahala. As if carrying the child for nine months wasn't enough.
franchasofficia:

Nigerians and their natural abi traditional hatred for women giving birth through C-section is one of the major problems birthing women experience in Nigeria, whereas it seems to be the safest if done by an experienced person.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet The Billionaires In Nigerian Healthcare And Pharmaceutical Industry. / "I Am Having Stomach Ulcer, How Can I Manage It?" / How To Treat Whitlow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.