Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,167 members, 7,977,407 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 07:43 AM

Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions (1691 Views)

I Am In A Dilemma Here, Please Help Me Decide! / My Sister's Dilemma On Secondary School Sex Immoralities / Oyo Re-opens Schools On Monday; Parents, Teachers In Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 1:22am On Jun 06
Good day guys,

I'm a 500l student in one of the pharmacy schools in Nigeria. So a few days ago, one of my results from 400l was uploaded on the portal. I was shocked when i saw a result of "d 45". This is an exam I was expecting nothing less than an "A" because I wrote very well. Now I had 24 in the test and 21/70 in the exam which I know is impossible because I still have the question paper with me and I literally can remember very well the questions I answered.

I'm depressed for real because this is the first time I'm having such a result in a departmental course. I've never experienced this before

So now I have a dilemma:

A part of my mind is telling me to approach the lecturer politely and try to reason with him. Maybe there was an oversight somewhere or something...

But I'm having second thoughts because I don't really know how he'll take it(we all know Nigerian lecturers). I don't want to have problems with him because he's still teaching us other important courses

Some persons are telling me to stomach it and just write it next year since it's a 1-unit course

So here's where I need your advice:

a) should I approach him and try to reason?

b) should I just forget about it

c) has any of you ever faced such a problem during your university days? And how did u handle it?

Your opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated 🤲🏾

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 1:25am On Jun 06
@ Mods

Fynestboi

Richiez

Olawalebabs

Can this get to front-page pls?🥺

I need as much opinions as possible
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:36am On Jun 06
Kemistri3:

yes, approach that person with someone respectable from your household and demand to know whats going on... and/or demand to know where you failed.

if you do that then what makes you think that next year wont be the same?
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 1:56am On Jun 06
MrBrownJay1:

yes, approach that person with someone respectable from your household and demand to know whats going on... and/or demand to know where you failed.

if you do that then what makes you think that next year wont be the same?

Ok thanks for your advice. But I'm schooling quite far from my family

Which means if I'm to meet him, I'd have to do it alone
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:05am On Jun 06
Kemistri3:
Ok thanks for your advice. But I'm schooling quite far from my family
Which means if I'm to meet him, I'd have to do it alone

get someone respectable around your area to go with you then...best to go with someone, for safety reasons (especially if you are a woman)
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by FreeStuffsNG: 2:55am On Jun 06
Check your script and answers from the textbook and lecture notes very well to be sure. If it's practicals, be sure that you can recall the specimens or reactions and results/structures very well. If you're in doubt then don't proceed.

If you are sure, talk to your course advisor first then approach the HOD of that department for help before escalate to Faculty. Your course advisor is always the first to talk to.

You need to go through the right process because you may get into issues if it turns out that you actually failed so you need to be very sure before you call for your script to be reassessed.

6 Likes

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by MaziObinnaokija: 3:36am On Jun 06
sad is there Pharmacy Schools in Nigeria?.
Typo.......

Bia! 49/40 is still fair.Thank God it is NOT "E/F".U arein your final year I guess.Dnt approach him and regret later. I dnt think he'll reverse/correct it again since it is uploaded already. A sadistic fellow won't allow u to disgrace him.Just accept that "grin" and move on. Life nah jeje

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Spy360(m): 4:13am On Jun 06
I have learnt to be ruthless when facing challenges with people character and demeanor. Even if it turns bad, you will be happy you tried.

Approach him. Go with the question paper. Tell him you are surprised by the result. Many lecturers will be glad you did.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by budaatum: 4:50am On Jun 06
Kemistri3:

And I assume you'd arrogantly subtly let him know he is being unreasonable?

A better option is to ask where you failed so you can pass next time.

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by enrique1976: 4:57am On Jun 06
Good day,

First, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's understandable to feel stressed and uncertain in such circumstances. Based on your description, here are my thoughts and advice:

Should You Approach the Lecturer?
Yes, you should consider approaching the lecturer. Here are a few steps to help you handle this situation effectively:

Prepare Your Case: Gather all the evidence you have, including your test scores, the exam question paper, and any other relevant documents that support your claim. Be clear about where you believe the error may have occurred.

Polite and Professional Approach: Schedule a meeting with your lecturer and explain your concerns calmly and respectfully. Emphasize that you are seeking clarification rather than accusing. Express your desire to understand where you might have gone wrong and learn from it.

Possible Oversight: Mention that you believe there might have been an oversight in the grading process. This way, you show that you trust their judgment but also want to ensure the accuracy of your grade.

Considering Other Options
If approaching the lecturer doesn’t resolve the issue or if you’re uncomfortable doing so, consider the following:

Departmental Procedure: Check if there’s a formal procedure for grade disputes in your department. Some institutions have policies in place to address such issues without escalating conflicts.

Advice from Peers and Seniors: Seek advice from senior students or peers who may have faced similar situations. Their experiences could provide valuable insights on how to navigate this issue effectively.

Handling the Outcome
If all else fails and you are required to retake the course, try to view it as an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge and improve your understanding of the subject. It’s important to maintain a positive attitude and focus on your long-term goals.

Personal Experience
Yes, many students have faced similar issues during their university days. Personally, I once had a similar problem where I received an unexpectedly low grade. I approached the lecturer respectfully, and it turned out there was a clerical error. The lecturer appreciated my politeness and willingness to discuss the issue, and the grade was corrected.

Additional Resources
For more advice on handling academic challenges and navigating university life, you might find www.TravelsFAQ.com useful. Although primarily a travel resource, it offers valuable tips on various aspects of student life and managing stress.

Remember, it's crucial to address the issue constructively and seek a resolution that ensures your academic performance is accurately reflected.

Best of luck!
www.travelsfaq.com

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Medipharm: 5:06am On Jun 06
MaziObinnaokija:
Typo.......

Bia! 49/40 is still fair.Thank God it is NOT "E/F".U arein your final year I guess.Dnt approach him and regret later. I dnt think he'll reverse/correct it again since it is uploaded already. A sadistic fellow won't allow u to disgrace him.Just accept that "grin" and move on. Life nah jeje
Yes Sir, there are Pharmacy Schools in Nigeria. For your understanding, All Faculties or Departments of Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences in Universities that offer Pharmacy are called Pharmacy Schools because they are a quite separate college under the University systems with several qualifying Licenses to train Pharmacists.

Meanwhile, for the Op, Seeing you are a 500L student, if you are undergoing a Pharm.D program, it means you will still be in school next year so it is better you let it lie and re-sit the Course next year to avoid creating an issue with the lecturer.
But if it is B.Pharm you are doing, I will also advise you approach the lecturer politely, watch his/her initial reaction, if it is negative, leave and re-sit the course but if he or she shows some sign of positivity, then you can take it from there, we're all humans, he may look into your issue. But like I said, his initial reaction matters alot, any negativity, please don't push forward, go and come back next year, you know Nigerian lecturers are always feeling gods

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by pointblank247(m): 5:24am On Jun 06
I will suggest that you meet him and reason it out with him. It happened to me once and that was what I did and realised that the lecturer made a mistake and he corrected it. I must quickly add that following this direction will depend on the kind of person the lecturer is. I mean his temperament should be put into consideration. In an extream case one applies officially for a remark of his script. This you can do when reasoning it out fails.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 5:49am On Jun 06
MaziObinnaokija:
Typo.......

Anything less than "C" is a fail in pharmacy school
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by MaziObinnaokija: 5:50am On Jun 06
Medipharm:

Yes Sir, there are Pharmacy Schools in Nigeria. For your understanding, All Faculties or Departments of Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences in Universities that offer Pharmacy are called Pharmacy Schools because they are a quite separate college under the University systems with several qualifying Licenses to train Pharmacists.

Meanwhile, for the Op, Seeing you are a 500L student, if you are undergoing a Pharm.D program, it means you will still be in school next year so it is better you let it lie and re-sit the Course next year to avoid creating an issue with the lecturer.
But if it is B.Pharm you are doing, I will also advise you approach the lecturer politely, watch his/her initial reaction, if it is negative, leave and re-sit the course but if he or she shows some sign of positivity, then you can take it from there, we're all humans, he may look into your issue. But like I said, his initial reaction matters alot, any negativity, please don't push forward, go and come back next year, you know Nigerian lecturers are always feeling gods
Bia - "University of Lagos,Benin,Faculty of .......,Department of ..... not SCHOOL OF PHARMACY. Only College Of Education runs*SCHOOL OF*...I just dey hear this new one oo

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 5:53am On Jun 06
Medipharm:

I'm doing a PharmD program
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by MaziObinnaokija: 5:57am On Jun 06
Kemistri3:

Anything less than "C" is a fail in pharmacy school
He should retake the paper rather than go complain.

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by falcon01: 6:14am On Jun 06
After analysing The whole comments I think it's better not to go just let it be and rewrite the exams.

But you can merge the whole advises into 1 and do it
1. See your level adviser
2. Rather than request for a reassessment ask the lecturer where you failed to do better in the future
3. If the man is a cool person maybe you have a chance if pushing it further and see how he would react.

Don't complicate your situation, unfortunately in Your country once someone is above you, he has total authority of your life at that laericular point.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Matheusmartin: 6:37am On Jun 06
That was how my friend was boosting that he wrote very well in one of his PMB exams and was surprised that they gave him F.

He so much disturbed him that I had no option rather than follow him to meet the HOD. Madam HOD was kind enough to take us in, went through the scripts and showed us my guys work.

Lo and beyond, na Out of point (op) my guy just write full paper as answers.

My guy weak. Me self weak.

So my take is this, it's often very difficult for any lecturer to want to target and fail u in pharmacy school.(I'm a pharmacist too,so i know)
Most of their work would have to be scrutinized by the departmental board before results are released.

U can still try and talk to the lecturer sha. No harm in trying.
All the best,pharm.

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Juliearth(f): 7:02am On Jun 06
Kemistri3:
Good day guys,

I'm a 500l student in one of the pharmacy schools in Nigeria. So a few days ago, one of my results from 400l was uploaded on the portal. I was shocked when i saw a result of "d 45". This is an exam I was expecting nothing less than an "A" because I wrote very well. Now I had 24 in the test and 21/70 in the exam which I know is impossible because I still have the question paper with me and I literally can remember very well the questions I answered.

I'm depressed for real because this is the first time I'm having such a result in a departmental course. I've never experienced this before

So now I have a dilemma:

A part of my mind is telling me to approach the lecturer politely and try to reason with him. Maybe there was an oversight somewhere or something...

But I'm having second thoughts because I don't really know how he'll take it(we all know Nigerian lecturers). I don't want to have problems with him because he's still teaching us other important courses

Some persons are telling me to stomach it and just write it next year since it's a 1-unit course

c) has any of you ever faced such a problem during your university days? And how did u handle it?

Please approach him and table your thoughts. What's the worse that can happen that isn't your fate already, assuming you choose to let it slide? Your manner of approach should however, be key.

I wish you all the best!

2 Likes

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by flokii: 8:37am On Jun 06
If it's a 1 unit course, you might want to just overlook and retake it.. definitely you'll have space to add the I unit course in your last semester.

If you still want to try, you can approach the lecturer, speak with him politely and let him know your doubts, that you were expecting an 'A' in his/her course. He or she will most likely attend to you.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:39am On Jun 06
Most schools have a system where the student pays a fee and applies for remarking of the script. It's something you should talk to your course adviser about before you proceed.

1 Like

Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Usmanovic95(m): 9:25am On Jun 06
Best option is to discuss this with your level advicer, he or she will tell you what to do and who knows if you've step on the wrong toe,either the said lecturer or another lecture who is using that lecturer as a decoy to punish you.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Z115: 11:14am On Jun 06
Good morning everyone, pls I don't if someone can pls share little data to stay CU's my phone deg hang it require 2gb for the update..abeg any amount Boredom wan killll me. Airtel -091-16374_170 mtn 0814_2109-403..
Thanks
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Kemistri3(m): 11:19am On Jun 06
Matheusmartin:
That was how my friend was boosting that he wrote very well in one of his PMB exams and was surprised that they gave him F.

He so much disturbed him that I had no option rather than follow him to meet the HOD. Madam HOD was kind enough to take us in, went through the scripts and showed us my guys work.

Lo and beyond, na Out of point (op) my guy just write full paper as answers.

My guy weak. Me self weak.

So my take is this, it's often very difficult for any lecturer to want to target and fail u in pharmacy school.(I'm a pharmacist too,so i know)
Most of their work would have to be scrutinized by the departmental board before results are released.

U can still try and talk to the lecturer sha. No harm in trying.
All the best,pharm.

Nah the lecturer is cool. I don't think he failed me deliberately

I just think there may have been an oversight or error somewhere
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Franksomtoo: 11:24am On Jun 06
I think it’s best you approach the lecturer calmly and respectfully. If he is a good person, he will hear you out, and take a look at your script/scores again. I had a similar issue in my 4th year in school (Radiography). An exam I knew that I shouldn’t have anything less than A, I ended up getting a C. Prior to that, I never had a C throughout my years in school. I approached the lecturer and pleaded that he re-calculate my scores from the two of them who took the course. He did and realise that where I got 21/30 in the other lecturer’s part, he mistook the 21 for 01, thereby reducing my total mark by 20. He corrected it and gave me my A.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by johnog4sure: 12:21pm On Jun 06
Kemistri3:
Good day guys,

So now I have a dilemma:

Ofcourse approach him, but careless about the outcome, if he helps fine, if he doesnt move on, grades do not define us in life, I was so sick(strange sickness of coughing blood) while writing second semester exams of 200 level back in sch, it was one of the semesters I was most confident about, I wrote to the lecturers of the courses my sickness affected, because the sickness started in the middle of the exams, out of 3 papers only one decided to give me a D, the others was carry over. Even if the courses were prerequisites to other courses I managed to graduate but with a 3rd class. But today most of my lecturers and mate no dey see my break light...life is not about how others grade you.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Ikennablue(m): 1:22pm On Jun 06
Kemistri3:
Good day guys,

So now I have a dilemma:

I had similar issue, tho I passed the course with a C but I was expecting an A, I approached the lecturer to help me and check if there’s a mix up somewhere but instead I received the insult of my life and since then this man has been hating me. If it’s a private school, might have been different. Bro just stomach it
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Adabar: 2:24pm On Jun 06
Hi @op! I don't know if this helps. I wrote a departmental course in 300L and got a D. I actually thought I deserved better than that so I went humbly to the lecturer and spoke with him. We sat down and reviewed it together. Whilst he correctly graded my scripts, he noticed I was making some honest errors and did quite put some thoughts in answering his questions. So, he decided to push me to the next grade by adding 2 marks to it. I got a 48D but now 50C and he did it across board- adding 2 marks to all. This singular act made me to graduate with a 2.1 in OAU Chemical Engineering and I am grateful for the gesture and glad I took that step. Please go and ask politely otherwise it might hunt you for a long time.

Ps: The lecturer was a no- nonsense lecturer oh. Even, did a sign-of-the-cross before meeting him.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by majesticguy: 2:27pm On Jun 06
Well it all depends on the kind of lecturer handling. If he's the Jovial type and reasonable, this two must go together, then you can approach him or her. If you are an "A" student, that's an added advantage, because the said lecture would be looking forward to marking your script, and in cases where you don't do well, they'd be the one to approach you and Ask you how come you did badly in the exam

If he's the unreasonable and Jovial type(some folks are like that), he'd just insult you.

Finally if he's is the strict and heartless type, just let slide. complaining would only put a bullseye on your back, and you may end up regretting your actions.

But lass lass a D in a one credit unit wouldn't do you no harm as long as your previous results were good.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by CJStarz: 7:37pm On Jun 06
Respectfully approach the lecturer.
D fault might have come from students who helped him to mark and upload the results.

A girl scored 90 but surprisingly they uploaded 09 for her. She approached the lecturer with her question paper. There and then the error was discovered.

Approach the lecturer respectfully. If he insists you failed, don't push it any further. Resit it and move on.

Good luck son.
Re: Guys, I'm In A Dilemma And I Need Your Opinions by Matheusmartin: 9:46pm On Jun 08
Kemistri3:

Nah the lecturer is cool. I don't think he failed me deliberately

I just think there may have been an oversight or error somewhere
Meet him.
All the best

(1) (Reply)

Pls Anyone Wit Uni Abuja Post Jamb Date And Cut Off Mark? / Lautech Pre-degree Form / Ebsu (ebonyi State University) Post Ume Is 8th And 9th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.