Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,430 members, 7,968,157 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 07:20 PM

No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola (11177 Views)

Lagos Clarifies Hike In Lasu Tuition Fees: Not For Stalelites Only Jambites / Lasu Tuition Fees Hike-live Debate Going On In Lag Assembly On Channels T.v / The New Lasu Agege Campus Assistant Director Want To Kill Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by basking4me: 11:58pm On Nov 27, 2011
You don't seem tO understand Dude. I said my wife got admitted to lasu on merit. If I had the premonition of these fees hike, I would never have allowed her to pick the school. Covenent university is close to us but I picked lasu in the hope of affordable educatiom being as a govt schl.

All those that are  being asked to pay normal fees will still suffer this if the statusquo remains. They have only said it to prevent the aluta spirit from rising but they have failed on it. If they had this in mind earlier, why wait till afta post jamb to mention it.

Myself, my wife, my kids and all other parents, husbands and wives of merits students that have been admitted to lasu totally refuse this calumy of distrust and punishment to lagosians.

Fash, r u telling me if I don't pay 260k, then you will give my wife's seat to some other that that didn't get as much marks as her. Trash.

Sis Joe odumakin, uncle femi falana pl stand up to this clarion call. Gbosa where u dey, aristotle, big sam, aturu, obesere, wolly b, morgano,  NANS , My people where una dey.

It is highest level of oppression.

Mod pl move this forward again.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by GboyegaD(m): 6:23am On Nov 28, 2011
bashy_demy:

^^ i think you have a point there

Quote from: Finland on November 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
Talks without brains. If it's the same as the western world , do you want to compare standard of living in both countries? minimum wage in the U.S is about 8 dollars(1600 naira) per hour in Nigeria it not even certain.50% live below poverty and 30% live in poverty. How would these people afford these outrageous school fees?
hmmmm if you say talk without brain then maybe you brain is upside down, University is not for everyone like someone said up there, we have Colleges that is cheaper and also technical schools, also you said something about 8$ per hour in US ok how many hour a week can he/she work? highest is 40 hours so do the calculation and lets see what you get, and remember the cheapest University in US will not less than $10k for citizen why international student will be higher and lots of Nigeria are travelling to study Abroad, i have a friend who just went for a professional course in Ghana and it cost $3500 per session, more so in Nigeria lots of parents are sending there kids to private uni and since they can afford it why not this, everything goes with plan, if you can't afford Uni then go to college. remember he said something about scholarship, though am not in support of the fee is too much for now though maybe he need to cut it down a little

Bashy, I will suggest you get your facts right before concluding. Though the minimum wage is $7.25 and yes the official work hours is actually 40hours nevertheless, they are allowed to work extra hours if they want to. Moreso, the funding opportunities are very much and if you cannot afford the University directly, you may 1st attend a community college for the 1st 2years and do the remaining 2years in a university. Most in state tuitions are as low as $4000 per session for in state tuition.

As for almost every students who intend to work, you can always get a job on campus. Let me tell you this, most of us graduate students I know here in the US who came from Nigeria are on one funding or the other thus, most of us pay in state tuition and earn stipend enough to cover our living expense monthly and you can save a little to plan part of your next semester tuition.

Finally, ACN is not responsible for primary education. FGN is responsible for primary education in Nigeria. Fasola seems to be so confused as a person with his statement. What are they using all the allocation that comes to them for? He generates so much in Internal Revenue on a monthly basis what is he using the money for? Moreso, the fees the thousands of students pay what is it used for? We need to stop fooling ourselves by comparing ourselves with the Western World where things are more organised until we put the necessary things in place.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 10:05am On Nov 28, 2011
GboyegaD:

Finally, ACN is not responsible for primary education. FGN is responsible for primary education in Nigeria.

You are wrong there.

Not only is the FGN not responsible for primary education, it is not even the state.

Primary education in Nigeria is the responsibility of local governments and private providers.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by bashydemy(m): 10:07am On Nov 28, 2011
^^ you ask what is he using all the money for? i guess you have been out of the country for so long for you not to see all the transformation in Lagos state, and also how about the slaries of the lagos state worker's? you ask the fee thousand of students pay what is he using them for? i guess you are the one paying the Lecturers and trhe University staff, Lagos state have the highest population in Nigeria of over 20million people that is more than some country you know, Benin Republic population is about 8million, and i also believe Lagos state has the highest number of worker's are they not going to get paid? bro is not easy to Govern Lagos State and he is the best Governor for now, though i know the school fee is outrageous and something need to be done to cut it down a little.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by stuhporh: 10:12am On Nov 28, 2011
es, N250k is not small cash, at the same time, not everyone needs to go to university. I don't intend to sound elitist, but that is a fact. Even in advance countries, university education is not cheap. You will hear guys saying "Am working beyond retirement age to see my kids out of college" Some in Nigerian universities right now have no business being there, not only because of their financial status, even in intellectual ability.

If you pay right price you will be serious at school and you will be able to challenge any harassment or intimidation from lectures. I think private Universities and some "expensive?" state universities like Osun State are less know for those ugly traits

Very tru my guy, these americans and europeans u talk about, most of em go tru school wiv education loans. they repay after school as they work.
Nigerians wants everything as bread and butter. yet i do not support BRF increasing tuition now. it not the best things to do. But hey, if u really wanna go to school and you dont have money, get schorlaship or go 2 one of the many northern university.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 10:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Remii:

If you pay right price you will be serious at school and you will be able to challenge any harassment or intimidation from lectures. I think private Universities and some "expensive?" state universities like Osun State are less know for those ugly traits.

I don't understand.

How does the fact you pay more empower you to challenge harassment and intimidation more than when you were paying less?
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by ngegy: 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2011
interesting discussion,
University education is not cheap anywhere including in the most famous welfare states like Germany (average 3000 euro/yr) for example, and remember that tax is usually also very high in those countries. But I must say that the increase is too sudden, maybe a gradual increase every 2-3 years would have made sense. Quality education is expensive and for a government that spends so much on infrastructure (so I've heard), you can't expect to pay the same fees as it was decades ago.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by ngegy: 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2011
ngegy:

interesting discussion,
University education is not cheap anywhere including in the most famous welfare states like Germany (average 3000 euro/yr)

average tuition per year in Germany is about 1000 euro/year!
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by kholis(m): 4:55pm On Nov 28, 2011
Fashola must be high on something. This is a last minute policy of disappointment to the teeming supporters of this man. May God punish him for making life difficult for the poor masses. NONSENSE!
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 12:13am On Nov 29, 2011
ngegy:

interesting discussion,
University education is not cheap anywhere including in the most famous welfare states like Germany (average 3000 euro/yr) for example, and remember that tax is usually also very high in those countries.

Lets say it is even 3000 Euros per year, the average household in Germany makes of 41,000 Euros. So do you think you comparison is justified in any way?

What is the average household income in Nigeria that you think asking for $1,600 dollars for tertiary education is comparable to Germany's fees?
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Dele99: 12:19pm On Nov 29, 2011
We all know one thing Fashola is working but the other thing we dont know now is for whom is he working.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by isleman(m): 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2011
first of all, what is the cost of university education abroad. those people on NL that studies abroad should please compare to what LASU is asking, which is more expensive? people can afford to pay high cost abroad, now to pay quarter in LASU is now a crime.

Anything good comes with a price. In USA, parents save to send their children to college, its not cheap. if you go to college, you are like a king cos they know the cost. They use some of those money we foreigners take there to give their own children scholarships and rebates.

Our university here are made so cheap for everybody to afford and thereby making them substandard. No Nigerian university is ranked among the first 200 in the world. Shouldn't that give us a rethink?

basic education should be made free and compulsory. We shout graduates on the street without jobs, we never bother to ask what type of graduates? some graduates here would be beginners in some other UNIs abroad.

Study some stupid course at substandard Nigerian University and expect to get a good job. Fashola may be wrong, but something has to be done to improve standards of our schools
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by basking4me: 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2011
My people, is increasing school fees what will improve the standard of education in Nigeria.

So because we make our universities cheap for everyone makes it substandard, so does this go to say that all those who benefited from free education of the Awolowo era are far below standards and mediocres because they didn't have to pay for their education.  

Please stop this comparison with some western states where some even accept Africans for FREE to attend universities. How are countries like Sweden and Norway and Finland able to do it and we cant.

Increasing school fees is just a way to finally seal the fates of thousands impoverished Nigerians whose hope is to acquire an education to help alleviate the sufferings of their poor folks.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 2:34pm On Nov 29, 2011
isleman:

first of all, what is the cost of university education abroad. those people on NL that studies abroad should please compare to what LASU is asking, which is more expensive? people can afford to pay high cost abroad, now to pay quarter in LASU is now a crime.

Anything good comes with a price. In USA, parents save to send their children to college, its not cheap. if you go to college, you are like a king cos they know the cost. They use some of those money we foreigners take there to give their own children scholarships and rebates.

Our university here are made so cheap for everybody to afford and thereby making them substandard. No Nigerian university is ranked among the first 200 in the world. Shouldn't that give us a rethink?

basic education should be made free and compulsory. We shout graduates on the street without jobs, we never bother to ask what type of graduates? some graduates here would be beginners in some other UNIs abroad.

Study some silly course at substandard Nigerian University and expect to get a good job. Fashola may be wrong, but something has to be done to improve standards of our schools

Stop chatting shyt!

So the money you make abroad is the same as you make in Nigeria? Do people make a quarter of what you make abroad in Nigeria?

So what if they pay through their nose is USA? You don't realise that is some capitalist scam? Education that was easily affordable in the US in the 60s and 70s, is not exorbitant.

We should not educate the population or restrict he opportunity to only a few?
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by GboyegaD(m): 11:17pm On Dec 01, 2011
Sagamite:

You are wrong there.

Not only is the FGN not responsible for primary education, it is not even the state.

Primary education in Nigeria is the responsibility of local governments and private providers.

Sagamite,
Primary education is mainly the responsible of the Federal Government and it is shared with the Local Government. The Local governments are funded mainly by the Federal Government thus, it can be boldly concluded that the FGN sponsors primary education.

kholis:

Fashola must be high on something. This is a last minute policy of disappointment to the teeming supporters of this man. May God punish him for making life difficult for the poor masses. NONSENSE!

You don't need to abuse him. He has only shown that he is an elitist. For those who claims it is a welcome idea, let us see the difference the increament in tuition fees will bring to the institution. Until we are able to curb corruption, asking people to pay N1m per session only implies more money to be embezzled.
isleman:

Study some silly course at substandard Nigerian University and expect to get a good job. Fashola may be wrong, but something has to be done to improve standards of our schools

What are you basing your comparism with? Schools in the Western World may seem expensive however, you should first look at the living cost and stop converting the monies. An average school here in the US pays about $7000 per session and often times, there are jobs for this student to help them aughment whateever amount they pay. Students are allowed to work 20hours a week which implies about approximately 320hours a semester and the monies they earn coupled with what that of the parents could easily see them through school.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 11:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
GboyegaD:

Sagamite,
Primary education is mainly the responsible of the Federal Government and it is shared with the Local Government. The Local governments are funded mainly by the Federal Government thus, it can be boldly concluded that the FGN sponsors primary education.

Since when did sponsor equate to responsible?

So because the Federal Government sponsors State Government, then the Federal Government is resposible for State roads, universities and hospitals?

Take a correction when given and learn from it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! My Lecturer Is Failing Me because Of Sex / 2019/2020 UNILAG DIPLOMA/FOUNDATION PROGRAMME DETAILS - 08158942445 / My First Day In Class (kaduna Polytechnic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.