Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,603 members, 7,878,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:53 AM

Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? (176 Views)

I Need A Ram Seller / How To Grow Tomatoes For Business? All You Need To Know! / How To Make Your Catfish To Grow Faster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? by RSAV: 12:07am On Jun 08
Good day experts in livestock farming.

I just bought a young ram which I intend to raise to adulthood then slaughter for meat.

Different neighbors have however advised I get a mate (a sheep) for it.

Two of them said the ram living alone won't grow fat without company especially a sheep.

How true is this please?
Re: Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? by brain54(m): 12:38am On Jun 08
Not necessarily...

A Rams growth like most animals is determined or influenced by genetics, nutrition and overall health.

However, having other sheep around not necessarily a female/mate can result in competitive activities or behaviors that can stimulate growth and size indirectly.

Social interaction can also reduce stress and therefore promote a general or overall well-being which can contribute to growth and development of the animal.

Proper nutrition, health care and management practice are however essential for growth and development of your ram irrespective of whether it has a mate or not!

1 Like

Re: Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? by Yustyle(m): 2:46am On Jun 08
What your neighbors meant is the fact that the young ram will be restless and always looking to go out ... Most especially when he hears the bleat of others .... And u know what the say a restless mind is always in a state of worry ....
But getting another ram or even sheep will put them at ease. And even you too ur mind will be at ease ... Cos only keeping only one ram ... The ram will give you headache.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Ram Need A Mate To Grow Well? by etrange: 5:20am On Jun 08
OP, I figured you used the word “sheep” in parentheses to specifically refer to the female. That’s actually wrong as the word generally refers to the animal itself regardless of gender. The male is called a ram (or a wether if it is castrated) while the female is called a ewe (pronounced exactly the same as the word “you”).

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Need To Buy Doussie, Kosso, Mussivi / Call 07035448163, 2train U On Quality Feed Production. / Agro Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.