Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,814 members, 7,879,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:44 PM

Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka (3626 Views)

The Politics Of Literature : Chinua Achebe Vs. Wole Soyinka / Wole Soyinka: Obasanjo Knelt Down For Atiku In 2003 / Gumsu Abacha Slams Wole Soyinka: Your Hate For My Father Shall Kill You, Mad Cow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by confusedlady(f): 5:25pm On Jun 12
melow666:

So a generalist makes a better writer not content. I guess, if tomorrow I writes poems, prose, novellas and dramas It might be said that I am a better writer than Soyinka. We are talking about content not versatility.

Oga,

Soyinka is heads above Achebe in literature. In subject,analysis and content....there is no debate on this among literature students on this issue except you are a tribalism......

In fact Soyinka transcends African literature because of the range of his works and the varied subject matter of his works....his work covers the absurdity of religious leaders,colonialism,racism,politics,traditional rulership,society, the aberration of military rule in Africa,the Biafra problem,and a lot more....
There is just no basis for comparison because Achebe's range of writing is too limited....

Soyinka even has musical albums....
See below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0m10O2rdA?si=-sDmnzRn7iG4hGIq

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Mombebe: 6:20pm On Jun 12
Putinofrussia:

If you are good,you are good.
The truth is Achebe was a great man but he was lesser to the Nobel Laureate,Wole Soyinka.
Achebe was a small baby compared to Professor Wole Soyinka,his father.

You really eat poos💩 and drink urines everyday to have be so low to belittle Achebe to a cultist noble laureate, African scholars as whole Knows whom the GOAT of African literature is and that person is not Wole Soyinka.. African writers as a whole and foreign scholars recognize Achebe as the Father of Modern African literature.
So stop this cheap comparison,Soyinka is never on his level in life or in death.
It's one Nigeria that's causing these stupid comparison and comments filled with hates and bigotry from some section of the country.
Achebe is the Shakespeare of African literature, even Nelson Mandela has to Acknowledge that, it's not everything you people will compare with these Yoruba folks that's unreasonable and disgusting.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Putinofrussia: 6:41pm On Jun 12
Mombebe:

You really eat poos💩 and drink urines everyday to have be so low to belittle Achebe to a cultist noble laureate, African scholars as whole Knows whom the GOAT of African literature is and that person is not Wole Soyinka.. African writers as a whole and foreign scholars recognize Achebe as the Father of Modern African literature.
So stop this cheap comparison,Soyinka is never on his level in life or in death.
It's one Nigeria that's causing these stupid comparison and comments filled with hates and bigotry from some section of the country.
Achebe is the Shakespeare of African literature, even Nelson Mandela has to Acknowledge that, it's not everything you people will compare with these Yoruba folks that's unreasonable and disgusting.
An illiterate spotted.
If Achebe lived for 200 years,he cannot be as great as Prof Wole Soyinka,he cannot win the Nobel prize.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by melow666: 6:45pm On Jun 12
confusedlady:

Oga,

Soyinka is heads above Achebe in literature. In subject,analysis and content....there is no debate on this among literature students on this issue except you are a tribalism......

In fact Soyinka transcends African literature because of the range of his works and the varied subject matter of his works....his work covers the absurdity of religious leaders,colonialism,racism,politics,traditional rulership,society, the aberration of military rule in Africa,the Biafra problem,and a lot more....
There is just no basis for comparison because Achebe's range of writing is too limited....

I hope you understand that we are discussing their literary works. The illusion and fallacy that when you say "Oga Soyinka is better" makes him automatically better is just wrong. Achebe sold more books, has better read books, had the most profound impact on African literature, debunked western narrative of a culture less Africa, opened the world to African literature, even asking objective AI's like chatgpt 4.o thinks Achebe was a better writer.

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Asiri1991: 8:19pm On Jun 12
In all honesty, Wole is a mere shadow of Chinua.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by confusedlady(f): 9:34pm On Jun 12
melow666:

I hope you understand that we are discussing their literary works. The illusion and fallacy that when you say "Oga Soyinka is better" makes him automatically better is just wrong. Achebe sold more books, has better read books, had the most profound impact on African literature, debunked western narrative of a culture less Africa, opened the world to African literature, even asking objective AI's like chatgpt 4.o thinks Achebe was a better writer.

This is hilarious 😂 😃 😄
So your go to is chat gpt....lol

I read the books....so I know what I am talking about.....
And by the way that your chat gpt,there is a way I will craft that question and that damn machine will say Soyinka is the better author....lol grin

I gave up on you when you concluded that the Achebe is better because he out sold Soyinka according to you.....lol...pulp fiction writers like Harold Robbins,James Hadley Chase,Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon,have probably also sold more books than Soyinka but it doesn't make them better writers....lol..

I repeat NO student of literature in English will ever say Achebe is a better writer than Soyinka....NEVER....

Soyinka has a vast range of Prose,poetry and dramatic plays....these cover politics,society,philosophy,racism,governance, religion and the absurdity of its leaders,monarchy,colonial rule,the Nigeria/Biafra conflict,military rule and other ills that affect society. The man even has dramatic musical albums.....

This will be my final response to you on this issue.....

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Beebling: 1:51am On Jun 13
[quote author=ObaOfBeninNahMu post=130430389][/quote]

Lol lack of words
What a shame
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by melow666: 6:45am On Jun 13
confusedlady:

This is hilarious 😂 😃 😄
So your go to is chat gpt....lol

I read the books....so I know what I am talking about.....
And by the way that your chat gpt,there is a way I will craft that question and that damn machine will say Soyinka is the better author....lol grin

I gave up on you when you concluded that the Achebe is better because he out sold Soyinka according to you.....lol...pulp fiction writers like Harold Robbins,James Hadley Chase,Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon,have probably also sold more books than Soyinka but it doesn't make them better writers....lol..

I repeat NO student of literature in English will ever say Achebe is a better writer than Soyinka....NEVER....

Soyinka has a vast range of Prose,poetry and dramatic plays....these cover politics,society,philosophy,racism,governance, religion and the absurdity of its leaders,monarchy,colonial rule,the Nigeria/Biafra conflict,military rule and other ills that affect society. The man even has dramatic musical albums.....

This will be my final response to you on this issue.....

Well Chatgpt is a thousand times more of an authority than you can ever be, and it is without bias, the way I craft my question, craft yours and show us, also do a bit of googling on "the father of African literature" while you are at it.
It is quite astonishing that as a student of literature which you claim to be that you judge better by versatility or generalist not impact. Oh, by your analysis Soyinka is better than Shakespeare, oh Shakespeare was quite limited in scope, he was not an activist like Soyinka.

My premise is impact, whose writing is more impactful on the continent of Africa not generalist or who shunned out more work.

Also relying on your argument, so if I should suddenly shun out a lot of work in various genre then suddenly I am better than Soyinka. Achebe's work were not much and he was also limited in Genre but it was one hell of a work, quality, easy to read and even more important relate with and so impactful.

You mentioned multiple best sellers, well how impactful were their work, how may people did it inspire, did it drive attention to a cause, how well did it tell a story of a marginalized people, how well did it espouse discourse?
Better sold? That is not the main objective here, better read and more impactful. Another fallacy, pulling statements out of thin air to win, that was not the main premise of my previous argument but you are picking up the inconsequential and making it the main

Well my core argument is not how well did it sell but how well did it impact?

You also claim no student of literature would rate achebe over soyinka, well I am a student of literature and Achebes work ring home to me, something I can relate with and even faraway in America and India, people there can relate with it, check several reddit discussions on this.
Another fallacy, extrapolating your opinion as a fact for a group.

Your argument holds feather weight, it does not do the prof, soyinka any good as it is fallacious and not well thought. For me, for the internet, for chatgbt, to the numerous individual voices on nairaland, for consensus using GPTs LLM, Achebe is a better writer although Soyinka had more works.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Antivirus92(m): 11:48am On Jun 13
confusedlady:

Oga,

Soyinka even has musical albums....
See below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0m10O2rdA?si=-sDmnzRn7iG4hGIq
why are these Soyinka works not popular?
His works just won the noble laureate which many people still question up till today and that's all.

Soyinka works are not even popular in yoruba land let alone the whole of Nigeria.

Achebe is miles ahead!
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by confusedlady(f): 11:51am On Jun 13
Antivirus92:
why are these Soyinka works not popular?
His works just won the noble laureate which many people still question up till today and that's all.

Soyinka works are not even popular in yoruba land let alone the whole of Nigeria.

Achebe is miles ahead!

Speak for yourself please...
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Mombebe: 11:06pm On Jun 13
Putinofrussia:

An illiterate spotted.
If Achebe lived for 200 years,he cannot be as great as Prof Wole Soyinka,he cannot win the Nobel prize.

Again you typed stupidly, send out a questionnaire or carryout a poll and ask people to indicate who is the father of African literature, you will find out that the founder of Associate of Sea lords(Baga confraternity) won't be mentioned in the top three.
Stop being stupid my boy.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by loffyloffy: 5:26am On Jun 14
melow666:

Well Chatgpt is a thousand times more of an authority than you can ever be, and it is without bias, the way I craft my question, craft yours and show us, also do a bit of googling on "the father of African literature" while you are at it.
It is quite astonishing that as a student of literature which you claim to be that you judge better by versatility or generalist not impact. Oh, by your analysis Soyinka is better than Shakespeare, oh Shakespeare was quite limited in scope, he was not an activist like Soyinka.

My premise is impact, whose writing is more impactful on the continent of Africa not generalist or who shunned out more work.

Also relying on your argument, so if I should suddenly shun out a lot of work in various genre then suddenly I am better than Soyinka. Achebe's work were not much and he was also limited in Genre but it was one hell of a work, quality, easy to read and even more important relate with and so impactful.

You mentioned multiple best sellers, well how impactful were their work, how may people did it inspire, did it drive attention to a cause, how well did it tell a story of a marginalized people, how well did it espouse discourse?
Better sold? That is not the main objective here, better read and more impactful. Another fallacy, pulling statements out of thin air to win, that was not the main premise of my previous argument but you are picking up the inconsequential and making it the main

Well my core argument is not how well did it sell but how well did it impact?

You also claim no student of literature would rate achebe over soyinka, well I am a student of literature and Achebes work ring home to me, something I can relate with and even faraway in America and India, people there can relate with it, check several reddit discussions on this.
Another fallacy, extrapolating your opinion as a fact for a group.

Your argument holds feather weight, it does not do the prof, soyinka any good as it is fallacious and not well thought. For me, for the internet, for chatgbt, to the numerous individual voices on nairaland, for consensus using GPTs LLM, Achebe is a better writer although Soyinka had more works.

Comparing the two prolific Nigerian writers, Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe, is subjective as both have made significant contributions to African literature. Here are some points to consider about each writer:

Wole Soyinka:
Known for his plays, essays, and poetry.
He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986.
Soyinka's works often delve into political and social issues.
Famous works include "Death and the King's Horseman" and "A Dance of the Forests."
Chinua Achebe:
Renowned for his novels, particularly "Things Fall Apart."
Achebe is considered one of the fathers of African literature.
His writing often explores the impact of colonialism on African societies.
"Things Fall Apart" is a classic in African literature and has been translated into many languages.
Both writers have had a profound influence on African literature, and the choice between them as a better writer often comes down to personal preference based on the themes and styles of their works.

[[b]b]Achebe authored a renowned literary work that explores the dynamics between the Igbo people and their British colonial rulers. While it was a significant contribution, it fell short of securing him the Nobel Prize.

In comparison, Achebe's other works are considered less remarkable, with limited public recall or discussion. His writings consistently center on the Igbo perspective.

On the other hand, Wole Soyinka's literary achievements were deemed worthy of the Nobel Prize. His works exhibit greater diversity, encompassing a broader range of themes and genres. Soyinka's literary output addresses a wider spectrum of life's aspects and issues, surpassing Achebe's narrower focus. Additionally, Soyinka's linguistic prowess is exceptional and comparable to the highest global standards.

Drawing an analogy to sports, it is akin to observing a team that defeated the eventual champion during the regular season but ultimately failed to secure the championship title.

The consensus within the literary community is that Wole Soyinka is the superior writer overall, while acknowledging Achebe's notable contribution with his work "Things Fall Apart."[/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by melow666: 10:32am On Jun 14
loffyloffy:

Comparing the two prolific Nigerian writers, Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe, is subjective as both have made significant contributions to African literature. Here are some points to consider about each writer:

Wole Soyinka:
Famous works include "Death and the King's Horseman" and "A Dance of the Forests."
Chinua Achebe:
"Things Fall Apart" is a classic in African literature and has been translated into many languages.
Both writers have had a profound influence on African literature, and the choice between them as a better writer often comes down to personal preference based on the themes and styles of their works.

[[b]b]Achebe authored a renowned literary work that explores the dynamics between the Igbo people and their British colonial rulers. While it was a significant contribution, it fell short of securing him the Nobel Prize.

In comparison, Achebe's other works are considered less remarkable, with limited public recall or discussion. His writings consistently center on the Igbo perspective.

On the other hand, Wole Soyinka's literary achievements were deemed worthy of the Nobel Prize. His works exhibit greater diversity, encompassing a broader range of themes and genres. Soyinka's literary output addresses a wider spectrum of life's aspects and issues, surpassing Achebe's narrower focus. Additionally, Soyinka's linguistic prowess is exceptional and comparable to the highest global standards.

Drawing an analogy to sports, it is akin to observing a team that defeated the eventual champion during the regular season but ultimately failed to secure the championship title.

The consensus within the literary community is that Wole Soyinka is the superior writer overall, while acknowledging Achebe's notable contribution with his work "Things Fall Apart."[/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]

Well, the prompt to this AI seems a bit biased. But in response, if I were asked who deserved to win a Nobel prize, definitely Soyinka over Achebe, Soyinka churned a lot of works while Achebe took his time, Soyinka took his prowess of the English language and pasted it on his works for the world to admire his control and confidence in the use of English and he still flaunts it even up till now, instead of speaking in clear and plain English, the Prof Soyinka would marinate his words
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by melow666: 10:56am On Jun 14
loffyloffy:

Wole Soyinka:
Chinua Achebe:

The above is a bit lazy as it stinks of 'AI PROMPT' and you did not reference the AI used or show the prompt inputted. Here is my rebuttal,
If i were asked to choose between Achebe and Soyinka for a Nobel prize, Soyinka wins, this grasp of the English language is second to none, infact, even when he speaks, you could see him pause and search in his head for a 'big grammer' to use. Also Soyinka chunned a lot of works compared to Achebe.

Soyinka also embraced ideals which favoured him over achebe, Negritude, Political activism, philosophy etc making him the ideal recipient of the nobel prize.

Soyinka deserves to be the Nobel winner.

Achebe on the other hand would be described as a lazy writer. He authored fewer works.

Who is a better writer, Simply Achebe. His Magnum opus 'Things fall apart ' is the staple and bible of African literature, as an African, it really takes me to a world forgotten, a world chattered with the advent of the white man and his civilization. It does not pity the African characters in the prose, but relays them as human with strengths and weaknesses.
His other works 'No longer at ease' fills the reader, me including with some sort of imagination even movies fail to render, it is mystical almost as if i was there whilst the story unfolded.

As a child reading Achebe's, i would fall into a fit of laughter while reading the book that would get my parents annoyed. My mother would buy a new Achebe book and would segment his book forcing me not to devour the book in a gulp.

Note that i had experienced these writers as a young child and a young adult, with a zeal for books without biases, without ethnic affiliations, just a boy who loves books, i read ngugi wa thiongo, i specially enjoyed Mongo Beti's work and when i came to Soyinka, i just did feel it.

Achebe's books are crisp and clear, full of imaginations and parables, something you would enjoy reading. Soyinka's work is full of English, something they would force you to read in university and might give you a headache.

Soyinka deserved the Nobel prize, Achebe is far and wide a better writer than Soyinka could ever be.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Putinofrussia: 4:13pm On Jun 14
Mombebe:

Again you typed stupidly, send out a questionnaire or carryout a poll and ask people to indicate who is the father of African literature, you will find out that the founder of Associate of Sea lords(Baga confraternity) won't be mentioned in the top three.
Stop being stupid my boy.
lol
You are comparing a nobody against a Nobel laureate.
A clown, you are.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Mombebe: 11:04pm On Jun 15
Putinofrussia:
lol
You are comparing a nobody against a Nobel laureate.
A clown, you are.

If your father is not a clown, he wouldn't have given birth to a clownish boy like you,who couldn't could be courageous enough to put off tribal lense and give the right honor to whom it's due.
Soyinka and your biological father are nobody to where Chinua Achebe is.
Carry out a poll or a questionnaire on this subject and be courageous enough to post the result for us to see.
Soyinka is a renegade none entity and a rascal,uncouth cultist, same could also be said to your biological father.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Putinofrussia: 11:35pm On Jun 18
Mombebe:

If your father is not a clown, he wouldn't have given birth to a clownish boy like you,who couldn't could be courageous enough to put off tribal lense and give the right honor to whom it's due.
Soyinka and your biological father are nobody to where Chinua Achebe is.
Carry out a poll or a questionnaire on this subject and be courageous enough to post the result for us to see.
Soyinka is a renegade none entity and a rascal,uncouth cultist, same could also be said to your biological father.
All this epistle and drooling from the mouth for a nobody against a world renoknowned Nobel laureate like Prof Soyinka,ehn?
Are you a bigot or just like to be a clown by not seeing what experts saw that Prof.Soyinka is a rare genius in literature and not just a story teller like Prof Achebe?
The world poll showed that Soyinka was and is the best in Africa and one of the best in the world.
Re: Chinua Achebe VS Wole Soyinka by Mombebe: 10:55pm On Jun 19
Putinofrussia:

All this epistle and drooling from the mouth for a nobody against a world renoknowned Nobel laureate like Prof Soyinka,ehn?
Are you a bigot or just like to be a clown by not seeing what experts saw that Prof.Soyinka is a rare genius in literature and not just a story teller like Prof Achebe?
The world poll showed that Soyinka was and is the best in Africa and one of the best in the world.

Like I said, it is your biological father and that renegade rascal uncouth and pipe smoking Cultist that's a nobody, how dare a nonentity like yourself call Achebe a nobody..I understand that this is because he isn't a yoruba-man,had it been he's, you bigoted lots would have find it difficult to give him his due honour.
You call him a mare storyteller 😂😂😂, and same man you try to belittle is regarded globally as the Father of Modern African literature and not the corrupt radical renegade noble laureate he was given to unmeritously.
Soyinka is not a genius and has no impact in development of African literature.
The likes of Ngugi wa thiongo, Buchi Emecheta, are ahead of that idiotic social menace you call noble laureate.
A criminal was given an international award unintentionally and boom his fellow thuggery tribesman are hyping that vabose fellow.
Even the Chimamanda Achidie of yesterday is more a genuis than that criminal, and you're a bastard by speaking low of Achebe like, you will never achieve anything outstanding in life, foooooolllllllllliiiiishhhh boy!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Monarch Accuses Policeman Of Shielding Criminal Fulani Herdsmen / ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers / Atiku Woos APC Delegates With N50,000 Each

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.