Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,649 members, 7,911,725 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 02:51 PM

Tutorial Hell: Why Monkey See Monkey Do Does Not Work - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tutorial Hell: Why Monkey See Monkey Do Does Not Work (251 Views)

Infinite Monkey Theorem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tutorial Hell: Why Monkey See Monkey Do Does Not Work by cj1080(m): 11:37pm On Jun 10
So i starting learning how to code pretty late.

Started with with classes and proceed to tutorial on YouTube and other platforms.

I started hitting a wall of late as after watching and practicing multiple tutorial.

While I try to write my own code or develop something, I would hit a brick wall(The blank screen).

Seeming stuck there asking myself, but I just completed multiple tutorial on this, why can I not write my own code.

This took a lot of searching for me till someone broke it down for me.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Online tutorials, YouTube tutorial, Udemy, Cousera, Free code academy.

They all work on sSo i starting learning how to code pretty late.

Started with with classes and proceed to tutorial on YouTube and other platforms.

I started hitting a wall of late as after watching and practicing multiple tutorial.

While I try to write my own code or develop something, I would hit a brick wall(The blank screen).

Seeming stuck there asking myself, but I just completed multiple tutorial on this, why can I not write my own code.

This took a lot of searching for me till someone broke it down for me.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Online tutorials, YouTube tutorial, Udemy, Cousera, Free code academy.

They all work on a simple yet addictive principle

Monkey See, Monkey do.

Because we are watching someone code something complex and following along to write what they write.

We get the decided feeling that we are actually learning to code or programme.

When in actual sense, once the tutorial stops and the video ends and we complete that code.

The truth come, as once we open a black page on notepad, notepad++, vs code. We are unable to write one or two lines of the tutorial we just watched.

Alot of beginners like myself, that I have met, face the same challenge.

I really had to take a step back and ask what was the problem

Then it hit me.

We are trying to learn how to code, without trying to learn first how to problem solve.

That I found was the biggest challenge.

Let me put it this way.

When you write code in any language, do you

A.Just dive in and start writing
B.First try to understand what you want to code for.

Most would answer A.

I would answer A, But now I understand that you need to start with B first before you get to A.

Why is this important.

Because almost every work place for programmers demand you know how to do B first Before A

Most technical interview watch for B first before A

Thus B(the problem solving to understand what you need to code for is far more important than coding first).

So

How does one learn how to do B first.

You need to understand that B can be hard to learn, infact for most beginners B is harder than A,

From the onset you have been learning how to do A,

Everything tutorial you have watched and practiced has made it look like A(learning to Code and writing code) is far more important.

No where online has any of the tutorials mentioned the need to learn B. And most tutorial on programming don't show you how to do B.

Reason.

It's not something that can be taught following the Monkey See, Monkey Do method.

You have to develop your own way of doing it.

But once you learn how to do it, and keep doing it.

It makes you code writing, learning and retention abilities much better and faster.

So how do you learn it?
Re: Tutorial Hell: Why Monkey See Monkey Do Does Not Work by OutOfTheAshes(m): 11:21am On Jun 12
You just hit the nail on the head.

(1) (Reply)

Get All The Bitcoin Crypto Currency PHP Script You Need Today. / Utility Payment App / Ideas For Product As A Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.