Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,595 members, 7,929,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 07:08 AM

Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly (21958 Views)

Rivers: Court restrains Amaewhule, Pro-Wike lawmakers From Sitting / Rivers: Victor Jumbo declares actions of Amaewhule-led Assembly null and void / Fubara Bars All LG Heads From Appearing Before Amaewhule-Led Rivers Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Nemere2020: 7:29pm On Jun 11
COURT FAULTS SECTION 3 OF RIVERS ASSEMBLY SERVICE COMMISSION LAW AS AMENDED BY AMAEWHULE, OTHERS

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt on Tuesday nullified Section 3 of the Rivers State House of Assembly Service Commission Law as amended by the Martin Amaewhule-led Assembly.

The recently amendment law was enacted after the Assembly had vetoed the State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara.

That section 3 had sought to strip the Governor of the constitutional power to appoint the Chairman and Members of the Rivers State House of Assembly Service Commission.

By the amended law, the Speaker of the Assembly would have the power to appoint the chairman and members of the commission.

But in his ruling, the presiding judge of the court, Justice Mrs Kariba Dagogo Jack, said the amendment law no 3, 2024, was inconsistent with the provisions of the Constitution, and as such null and void.

The suit was filed by the Association of Legal Legislative Drafting and Advocacy Practitioners, a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
that felt concerned about that significant change.

It was to the effect that the NGO sought the court’s interpretation of the amendment in line with the Nigerian Constitution.

Justice Dagogo-Jack ruled that the amendment violated sections 5, 176, 197, and 198 of the Nigerian Constitution.

The judge clarified that the Nigerian Constitution grants the exclusive right to appoint members of boards, commissions, and institutions, including the States Assembly Service Commission, to the executive governors of the states, which must be confirmed by the States Houses of Assembly.

She said the amendment that shifted the power to constitute the House of Assembly Service Commission to the Speaker, contravene the doctrine of separation of powers which guarantees the right of the various arms of government to operate independently of each other.

The presiding Judge further stated that the Rivers State House of Assembly is not authorized by law to exercise executive powers which includes the constitution of the Rivers State House of Assembly Commission, which is among bodies described in part two of the third schedule of the Constitution whose membership are to be constituted by the Governor.

She described the actions of the Martin Amaewhule-led House of Assembly as an attempt by legislators to usurp the responsibilities of the executive in clear violations to the principle of separation of powers.

Consequently, Justice Dagogo-Jack issued an order striking down section three of the law and imposed a perpetual injunction preventing the enforcement of that section.

The lead counsel for the NGO, Association of Legal Legislative Drafting and Advocacy Practitioners, Barr. Boma Owunabo, spoke to journalists after the ruling.

He said the suit was instituted in public interest to challenge the usurpation of executive powers by the Amaewhule-led Rivers State Assembly through the amendment.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/34nkU1wizzvBnP5C/?mibextid=oFDknk

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Arobaga: 7:31pm On Jun 11
grin

1 Like

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Triumphant22: 7:52pm On Jun 11
shocked

See Vex for up. If only nairaland has a physical block , casualties for don plenty, bloodied and wounded.

29 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Ever8090: 8:02pm On Jun 11
This rivers problem never still end?...

3 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by PaellaPaella: 8:06pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:
Simpleton Fubara a real definition of an ungrateful Morafuc.ker............if i was wike, i would have find a way to lost him by making it look like an accident. He would have jeloun ni pe💯😎

Dude get rid of your hateful soul, what has Fubara done wrong? not everybody like to be a puppets, stop smoking weed for people who don't even know if you are alive of dead.

164 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by PaellaPaella: 8:08pm On Jun 11
Arobaga:

Thats what Yorubas are good at

Na why una principal kill Funsho Williams

Y’all will remain slaves till the last day of Tinubu

He’s not grateful because he didn’t allow one thief pocket the entire state treasury like Tinubu did in Lagos

May thunder strike you

Good

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Racoon(m): 8:10pm On Jun 11
See the judicial chaos, anarchy, impunity and lawlessness that has became the order of the day because of what politicians have turned Nigeria into.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 8:17pm On Jun 11
Vanitybutiwanti

Come oooh

1 Like

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Beautifulday: 8:18pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:
Simpleton Fubara a real definition of an ungrateful Morafuc.ker............if i was wike, i would have find a way to lost him by making it look like an accident. He would have jeloun ni pe💯😎

Entitlement mentality

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Acekidc4(m): 8:30pm On Jun 11
Beautifulday:

Entitlement mentality

Agreement is Agreement 💯

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Beautifulday: 8:32pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:

Agreement is Agreement 💯

What was the agreement?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Acekidc4(m): 8:36pm On Jun 11
Beautifulday:

What was the agreement?

Are you asking me 🤨 i don't think you know how politics works 🤔

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Beautifulday: 8:40pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:

Are you asking me 🤨 i don't think you know how politics works 🤔

Nah you talk say they had and agreement. I thought you were the person that brokered the agreement. I been wan know the details of the agreement to see who is at fault.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by TTPAAR(m): 8:55pm On Jun 11
Pls..... Is anybody noticing that this country is drowning??

3 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Ladiesdoctor(m): 8:55pm On Jun 11
Patience Jonathan messed up Rivers State.
She used Wike to torment Amaechi severely.
Their govt is the reason why Amaechi decamped from his party.
Now, look at what Wike is doing in Rivers, he made Amaechi govt ungovernable and now he is messing up with Fubara's govt.

Fubara will mess Wike up big time.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Samakus(m): 8:56pm On Jun 11
Fubara winning on all fronts

Me likey

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Anguldi(m): 8:56pm On Jun 11
tongue
Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by ShogunNoName: 8:56pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:

Ladies and gentlemen,.to avoid your children growing up to be touts and uncivilized thugs who speak this way please ensure they don't drop out of secondary school all in the name of learning a mechanic trade.

Pls education is expensive but illiteracy is costlier.

Just read what this illiterate typed shamefully in public. He can't even speak proper grammar but is here wishing another dead.

This tout should not be here amongst enlightened folks.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by jiz: 8:57pm On Jun 11
Neither in favour of SIM or WIKE, justice should serve the will of the people of Rivers !
Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by bigdammyj: 8:57pm On Jun 11
Noted.
Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by tiswell(m): 8:57pm On Jun 11
Justice for democracy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by jiz: 8:57pm On Jun 11
Trash
Acekidc4:

6 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Learnvillei: 8:57pm On Jun 11
This case will not end soon

1 Like

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by kennyz247(m): 8:57pm On Jun 11
Fabura winning the fight codedly

6 Likes

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by Nwaokunkpara: 8:58pm On Jun 11
Wike getting a taste of his own medicine

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by jiz: 8:58pm On Jun 11
You dey mind that APC Agbero
ShogunNoName:

Ladies and gentlemen,.to avoid your children growing up to be touts and uncivilized thugs who speak this way please e sure they don't drop out of secondary school all in the name of learning a mechanic trade.

Pls education is expensive but illiteracy is costlier.

Just read what this illiterate typed shamefully in public. He can't even speak proper grammar but is hear wishing another dead.

This tout should not be here amongst enlightened folks.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers: Court Voids Section Of The Law Passed By Amaewhule-led Assembly by osazsky(m): 8:58pm On Jun 11
Acekidc4:
not everybody is ambode..everybody can not be Yoruba ask obaseki

20 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ribadu Stands Down / Aisha Buhari Distributes Supplements To Pregnant, Nursing Mums / 38-Year-Old Egbedun Elected Osun Assembly Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.