Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,741 members, 7,879,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:17 PM

Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial (14208 Views)

President Biden's Son, Hunter Convicted On All Charges In Gun Trial / Trump Campaign Raises Record $34.8 Million In Donations After Guilty Verdict / Biden Vows Retaliation Over Kabul Attack, Says ISIL Affiliates Are Responsible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by obedience4(m): 2:42am On Jun 12
US President Joe Biden has said he will respect a jury’s decision to find his son guilty of gun crimes, after a week-long trial that laid bare a tumultuous time for the family.

The 12-person jury found Hunter Biden, 54, guilty of lying about his drug use on a form while purchasing a handgun in 2018. He faces possible jail time following the verdict, which marked the first criminal prosecution of a sitting president’s child.

His conviction on all three felony counts comes as President Biden campaigns for re-election in November, and less than two weeks after his election rival Donald Trump was himself convicted of a crime in New York.
While President Biden did not attend the trial in Delaware, many family members including First Lady Jill Biden did so regularly. Hunter Biden’s wife, sister and uncle were all present at times to support him during proceedings.
President Biden flew to Wilmington, Delaware, after the verdict where he greeted and hugged his son on the tarmac

“I am the president, but I am also a dad. Jill and I love our son, and we are so proud of the man he is today,” he said in an earlier statement. Mr Biden added that he would “accept the outcome of this case and… continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal”.

President Biden earlier ruled out pardoning his son, whose trial surfaced embarrassing details as prosecutors sought to show the extent of Hunter Biden’s crack cocaine addiction at the time he bought the gun. Jurors heard from his ex-wife, Kathleen Buhle, and a former girlfriend, Zoe Kestan, who described frequent long drug binge.

The verdict on Tuesday prompted instant political reaction, including from Republicans in Congress who have spent years investigating Hunter Biden’s behaviour and business ties.
James Comer, the Republican chair of the House oversight committee, said it marked a “step toward accountability” but added that "everyone involved" in what he called the "Bidens’ corrupt influence peddling schemes” should be investigated.

A statement from the Trump campaign, meanwhile, said the trial had “been nothing more than a distraction from the real crimes of the Biden Crime Family
Democrats in Congress accused their Republican colleagues of hypocrisy, and praised the US justice system.
“Compare and contrast the difference in reaction between the Republicans and the Democrats," Maryland Democrat Jamie Raskin said in a hearing.
Referring to Trump's criminal conviction, he said: "The Republicans are attacking our entire system of justice and the rule of law because they don’t like the way one case came out, whereas the son of the president of the United States is prosecuted and I don’t hear a single Democrat crying foul.”.

Meanwhile, several jurors who convicted Hunter Biden have said politics was not a factor in their decision. "I was never thinking of President Joe Biden," one juror told the BBC.

"Out of all the jurors, nobody mentioned anything about political motivations," he added.
Aides to President Biden have told US news outlets that the trial and verdict have taken an emotional toll on Mr Biden, who has been closely watching the case.

Politico reported that Mr Biden had been "consumed with the trial for weeks" and asked family members for updates while he was on a trip to France for D-Day anniversary events.
The outlet also said Mr Biden has at times felt guilty about the spotlight that has been placed on his son, and believes his political career has contributed to his son's legal problems

According to the Washington Post, the president's advisers have often been reluctant to speak to him about his son and some have tried to limit Hunter Biden's public appearances.
Hunter Biden will be sentenced at some point in the next 120 days, but the judge overseeing the case has not set a date for the hearing. He faces up to 25 years in prison, but legal experts say it is highly unlikely the eventual sentence will be close to that given he is a first time, non-violent offender.

His legal issues are set to continue throughout the year, and throughout his father's election campaign. In September, he will face trial in California on charges of failing to pay $1.4m (£1.1m) in income taxes.
If convicted, Hunter Biden could face up to 17 years in prison

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6pp08q513do

4 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by dust144(m): 5:08am On Jun 12
That's a father. My 9yrs on nairaland, I got FTC today.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by englishmart(m): 5:09am On Jun 12
We all know the law will surely be twisted to accommodate his son, just as it was twisted to convict Trump. The USA is by miles more corrupt than Nigeria.

36 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by MatrixReloaded: 5:09am On Jun 12
The high class also goes into reflection and accepting there fate in a clime society. Not where the bingo hide in deceit, not where an innocent man was abducted from far east and brought to face ill trial without option to plea.
E sure me say if na that one drug addicted son of amadioha that was forgotten around Ajah,Lagos way back in 2013, and later died of addiction, faces such fate , he won't even get any fatherly love or hug. That dude died because his mother was a side-chic to amadioha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Gentlesoul2021(m): 5:10am On Jun 12
Mk them jail him if found guilty...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Niok: 5:10am On Jun 12
Like son like trump
Bunch of criminals

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by oyeb15: 5:10am On Jun 12
His son has be snuggling guns and funds for decades.
Hunter is Biden corrupt front. Has has been charged many times during Obama tenure but charges were cleared politically.

4 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by bankyblue(m): 5:11am On Jun 12
That's a country where institutions works.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by hakym619(m): 5:13am On Jun 12
So a president's son can be prosecuted ? 😲

Please o guys , I need 10 M for a 2.5 years online program not available in Nigerian tertiary institutions. I intend to start September, 2025
I don't have the money and my savings won't do. I'm a Nigerian and I reside in Nigeria . Please how do I go about it?
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by vicmymy1: 5:13am On Jun 12
that's good
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by centpado(m): 5:16am On Jun 12
A sitting president ke, if it’s in my country, judiciary won’t be able to do this o

18 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Flame333: 5:16am On Jun 12
If it were to be the zoo, either the judge will be absent or they settle out of court

Shame

We are alive seeing fellow humans like us prospering with positive values of life while we chose the back door to keep getting worse

12 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Kwaramustgoodag: 5:16am On Jun 12
Not in Nigeria or Africa. Even u can't try it with Putin family. Law is law,but many people above the law

11 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by bluefilm: 5:18am On Jun 12
Hunter Biden is a huge disgrace to his entire family

The Democrats may now want to use this opportunity to stop Biden from running

But no matter what they come up with, Trump will trump over them all

6 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Promise47(m): 5:18am On Jun 12
That's my man Joe Biden I love you Joe Biden
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Flame333: 5:21am On Jun 12
englishmart:
We all know the law will surely be twisted to accommodate his son, just as it was twisted to convict Trump. The USA is by miles more corrupt than Nigeria.

Get your facts right and prove where the law was twisted..

Trash

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by gender123: 5:26am On Jun 12
Okay oooooo
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by haybhi1(m): 5:26am On Jun 12
How it should be. My only reason for respecting America is their respect for law. No society organized under such approach falters. That's why China is setting things aright too—death being penalty for public office intentional mismanagement.

It will hardly happen in a black man land. I weep and yearn for us Africa. I swear we can get it right. Let's just work towards that path of tending to law. I'm talking to us all.

4 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Port443: 5:26am On Jun 12
Even if Seyi like, let him slaughter an adult on live TV, you won't get a conviction. Naija politicians truly discovered gold in naija. The environment dey too conducive for corruption abeg grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by phemmie06(m): 5:27am On Jun 12
When there's a functioning system..... I can count the number of DGs sacked because of one company in a country, the company's name start with O and the country changed their anthem not more than 5 years ago, the company is owned by one of the relatives of the country president.
If na Nigeria, the CJN would have fired the judge or all of them fired together by......

1 Like

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by eedimo(m): 5:27am On Jun 12
Your parents are the only poeple on earth who will truly stand by you even when they know you are guilty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by AntiChristian: 5:28am On Jun 12
Biden's son is guilty just like his father and Israel!
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by DMerciful(m): 5:29am On Jun 12
Dey deceive yourself.

Where is Yahaya Bello?
How come a criminal drug baron and certificate forger is heading Nigeria?
Will a former president or their children be tried in Nigeria?

Self deceit is the worst form of deceit
englishmart:

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Adamux: 5:30am On Jun 12
englishmart:
I agree
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by justking(m): 5:35am On Jun 12
This is really trying times for the family....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Ogonimilitant(m): 5:41am On Jun 12
This why I like the civilized world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by SaLongs1(m): 5:43am On Jun 12
englishmart:
Says someone from a shit hole corrupt third world country who wishes same on a democratic and open country.

5 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by SaLongs1(m): 5:45am On Jun 12
AntiChristian:
Biden's son is guilty just like his father and Israel!
Death to all terrorists and their lovers!!💀💀

6 Likes

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Jackanda1(m): 5:46am On Jun 12
Slow biden. I can't wait for him to vacate office so a capable person can take over.

Be like them force presidency on this one.

1 Like

Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Originalsly: 5:52am On Jun 12
MatrixReloaded:

The high class also goes into reflection and accepting there fate in a clime society.

Isn't Trump "high class"? .... isn't he from a "clime society"? ... did he go into reflection and accept his fate? Hmmm ... the extent we will go to exalt others and drag our own into the gutter.

@ topic .... Biden has no choice but to accept the verdict .... no one is above the law. ... as Trump is finding out .... and any attempt to undermine the law can have him in court. If sentenced... biden can pardon but the backlash would be long and harsh
Re: Biden Vows To Respect Guilty Verdict In Son's Gun Trial by Jackanda1(m): 5:53am On Jun 12
haybhi1:
How it should be. My only reason for respecting America is their respect for law. No society organized under such approach falters. That's why China is setting things aright too—death being penalty for public office intentional mismanagement.

It will hardly happen in a black man land. I weep and yearn for us Africa. I swear we can get it right. Let's just work towards that path. I'm talking to us all.
So your criterea for the development of a nation is to set up the death penalty for mismagement?

You think it is alright to murder people for mismanagement in a democracy?

It like you reason with your Anus.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Israel Reviews List Of Hostages Set To Be Freed By Hamas Today / Nicolas Sarkozy Gets 1-year Jail Term For Illegal Campaign Financing / Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.