Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,746 members, 7,915,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:07 PM

Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) (25795 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obasanjo Pushing HID Awolowo On Wheel-Chair (Picture) / Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by AndreUweh(m): 1:49am On Nov 29, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL again typical

WHO THE F CARES IF YOU ARE A PROUD IGBOMAN OR NOT

Should I be jubilating that you are proud of your ethnicity or what excatly do you want me and others to be doing ?

You are Igbo, and so F-ing what ? I am efik, i am ijaw, i am yoruba, i am igbo, I am kanuri, I am fulani, I am jukun, I am nupe etc

Still has nothing to do WITH THE DISCUSSION you no-brainer

Stop bring a bigot that is what I am screaming to you though my post. Stop being a bigot and call yourself Igbo youth leader , it is so stu.pid of you to be a public figure and yet be a bigot

How does it sound ?

I am Igbo youth leader in the UK ( mind you LEADER) and I am andre aka Ngodigha1 aka abadaba etc and a Bigot on Nairaland ?

Does that make sense to you ?

How should people like me view Igbo youths if you their leader is a bigot ? Mind you It sounds so f-ing slow don't you think ?

Examine yourself first before others, that is my message to you sucking asz humper, your pretense is too much, be a man and stand by what you say. Monkey shitter, you don't say you quit tribalism today and next day you pick it up. If you are a saint, then tell me how many insults you have received only this week, Suckingg wart hog.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by CyberG: 3:15am On Nov 29, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Examine yourself first before others, that is my message to you sucking asz humper, your pretense is too much, be a man and stand by what you say. Monkey shitter, you don't say you quit tribalism today and next day you pick it up. If you are a saint, then tell me how many insults you have received only this week, Suckingg wart hog.

Are you a Hitler Youth Leader because your level of hate is appalling. In the past several posts of yours, it's been curses, abuse, curses, hate, bigotry, why? At least argue rationally with points because fighting and abuse when someone is intellectually stronger than you only confirms you are weaker than he thought. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by noiseless: 3:32am On Nov 29, 2011
Wow!The more they try to lie and bury the truth,is the more they expose the evil they committed.When he said there other things he wouldnt say in that interviewer at that time,that he should waite what was he hiding and why would some people warn him that adekunle must see that he awo wasnt gonna make it back alive if he awo visits biafra,were they competting for something or was there something which they both had secretly in common? infact this article whether the persons behind it are trying to wash awos hands from whatever or not,well it looks like a bit of an unmarked mass grave.                    People can lie but this one has nailed the person it was meant to help really,what a dumb idea.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by tarano: 3:38am On Nov 29, 2011
Who is deceiving who The biafrans are responsible for their welfare, The war should have been stopped immediately after the fall of the capital, Enugu finish. But the biafrans wanted a do or die and they got that,

The yorubas or hausa would never fight a losing war like that, If u get defeated in the field, accept defeat and move on, Enugu, Ore, Portharcourt, taken the war is over,
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2011
One thing I've noticed about my Yoruba brothers is that they are cowards.

AWOLOWO. He was always waiting for someone to do something for him, typical of a Yoruba man. The 1966 coup was meant to swear him in as the new president. The coup failed, so he denied ever knowing of such a plot. He traded sides with Fulanis against the igbos during  the war, so that he could be installed as president after the war. Murtala's death gave him further hope of being a president, afterall, his kins man (OBASANJO) was the head of state. obasanjo did not hand over to him and that was the best chance he had at been a president before taking his life  outof frustration. ( he drank otapiapia)
Abiola.   Abioa wined and dined with the military. Obasanjo, Abacha, Babangida, Vatsa,  were all his friends. Abiola single handedly sponsored buhari and babangida's coup. Final preparations were made in his daughter's naming ceremony few weeks to the Babangida's coup. Like a typical yoruba man, he wanted things to be done for him(coward). unfortunately for him, his fulani friends betrayed him and he was  denied of his so called mandate and was locked in the prison like a common criminal. He was later poisoned by his fulani friends and nothing was done about it in the west. He died a church rat. His kinsmen collected bribes after his death from thesame fulani"friends". Do we need to talk about saro wiwa? The civil war has always been about the fulanis and their quest to rule Nigeria. You cannot take it away from them. Have you forgotten about Usman Dan Fodio? his life was all about a conquest and that"s what his generations are still doing. Nigeria to a Fulani man is a conquest.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by isleman(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2011
lucenzo:

AWOLOWO. He was always waiting for someone to do something for him, typical of a Yoruba man. The 1966 coup was meant to swear him in as the new president. The coup failed, so he denied ever knowing of such a plot. He traded sides with Fulanis against the igbos during  the war, so that he could be installed as president after the war. Murtala's death gave him further hope of being a president, afterall, his kins man (OBASANJO) was the head of state. obasanjo did not hand over to him and that was the best chance he had at been a president before taking his life  outof frustration. ( he drank otapiapia)
Abiola.   Abioa wined and dined with the military. Obasanjo, Abacha, Babangida, Vatsa,  were all his friends. Abiola single handedly sponsored buhari and babangida's coup. Final preparations were made in his daughter's naming ceremony few weeks to the Babangida's coup. Like a typical yoruba man, he wanted things to be done for him(coward). unfortunately for him, his fulani friends betrayed him and he was  denied of his so called mandate and was locked in the prison like a common criminal. He was later poisoned by his fulani friends and nothing was done about it in the west. He died a church rat. His kinsmen collected bribes after his death from thesame fulani"friends". Do we need to talk about saro wiwa? The civil war has always been about the fulanis and their quest to rule Nigeria. You cannot take it away from them. Have you forgotten about Usman Dan Fodio? his life was all about a conquest and that"s what his generations are still doing. Nigeria to a Fulani man is a conquest.

you seem to be really hurt, what's your grieve? don't say thing you cant prove. just move on,
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Reggie2(m): 6:14pm On Nov 29, 2011
lucenzo:

And that's why Ojukwu took one good look at Awo's carcass and named him the best president that Nigeria never had. Biafra is greatly vindicated by his lost at presidential bids, same as Abiola who was also killed by his northern friends. Yet some idiiot wants us to make June 12 a national day celebration. I just de laugh.

The Yorubas must declare where they really stand because the saying goes that once bitten twice shy. Awo made pretentious statements in the past like the chameleon and coward that he was. I don't see ndigbo being tricked into another war. Let them fight their own battle as Biafra did or we continue to live together in this un-holy marriage called Nigeria.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Dede1(m): 10:44pm On Nov 29, 2011
CyberG:

So, you drew a parallel between a factual statement for which Ojukwu fought, which Nigeria struggles with today and made in 1947 as "mere"? Do you know that Ahmadu Bello in his autobiography described the amalgamation that created Nigeria “The mistake of 1914”? So Awolowo was making a statement which is true but drawing a parallel with is position as Minister of Finance is just an attempt to denigrate his person and office which you know is impossible. Have you or anyone been considered for position of supervisor of local government affairs in your state till date, talk less of Minister at the national level. Dede, don't let your bitterness eat you up but seek healing because while this man made his marks on time, your name will not be heard even by your own great grandchildren in your family - think about that. Next, you cannot speak for Ojukwu as to his feelings and opinions - that is just plain primary school argument. Since when did you read his mind or become his oracle? At the end of the day, Ojukwu still NEVER blamed Awolowo but if he did, show the proof of it.

You seem to occupy your silly self with transient vanity and err of personality. I had rather remain unknown solid citizen in a progressive nation than a known dignitary of a retrogressive cesspit called Nigeria. I knew few people, including Awo, who thought Nigeria was not only a “mere geographical expression but also an accident of British colonial suzerainty. If Awo made true statement of Nigeria as a mere geographical expression, I equally made a true statement about “mere commissioner for finance" following Awo’s stream of thought.

If you are contributing to this debate so as to defend Awo, you need to do better because you are failing woefully. I have no interest whatsoever to defend Ojukwu and his dealings during Nigeria/Biafra civil war
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by CyberG: 2:21am On Nov 30, 2011
Dede1:

You seem to occupy your silly self with transient vanity and err of personality. I had rather remain unknown solid citizen in a progressive nation than a known dignitary of a retrogressive cesspit called Nigeria. I knew few people, including Awo, who thought Nigeria was not only a “mere geographical expression but also an accident of British colonial suzerainty. If Awo made true statement of Nigeria as a mere geographical expression, I equally made a true statement about “mere commissioner for finance" following Awo’s stream of thought.

If you are contributing to this debate so as to defend Awo, you need to do better because you are failing woefully. I have no interest whatsoever to defend Ojukwu and his dealings during Nigeria/Biafra civil war

You are intellectual midget so every other comment you make has to be abusive? Well, it's not my fault if you are mentally challenged and cannot hold your own in a debate without resorting to tribal attacks, insults and stupid bigotry in your zero-sum game. In any case, its obvious you are still suffering from the loses you were told about but its all your fault and none of mine. I am not here to defend anyone and Awo remains not only one of the brightest and forward looking people of his time and now, he was an outstanding lawyer. He excelled at his job and needs no one to defend him. It's time to move on with your life hiding away in obodo under rock where you are really a non-entity illegal resident. Naija doesn't need more bigots anyway because your type started the war that you now cry about, destroyed Nigeria's regional governments in hope of domination, killed every leading light of other tribes and preserved yours. Ironsi NEVER did anything about it and what did you do? Poke fun at the northerners. They wanted out initially, you refused. After the January 1966 Ibo coup, there was a riot in the north "A raba" you remember? Ironsi refused to do anything about it and went ahead to promulgate his unification decree. Well, now that the people you first attacked turned their anger on you, you claim to be hiding away under the rock? Stay there, no one cares! tongue tongue
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 5:57am On Nov 30, 2011
CyberG:

You are intellectual midget so every other comment you make has to be abusive? Well, it's not my fault if you are mentally challenged and cannot hold your own in a debate without resorting to tribal attacks, insults and silly bigotry in your zero-sum game. In any case, its obvious you are still suffering from the loses you were told about but its all your fault and none of mine. I am not here to defend anyone and Awo remains not only one of the brightest and forward looking people of his time and now, he was an outstanding lawyer. He excelled at his job and needs no one to defend him. It's time to move on with your life hiding away in obodo under rock where you are really a non-entity illegal resident. Naija doesn't need more bigots anyway because your type started the war that you now cry about, destroyed Nigeria's regional governments in hope of domination, killed every leading light of other tribes and preserved yours. Ironsi NEVER did anything about it and what did you do? Poke fun at the northerners. They wanted out initially, you refused. After the January 1966 Ibo coup, there was a riot in the north "A raba" you remember? Ironsi refused to do anything about it and went ahead to promulgate his unification decree. Well, now that the people you first attacked turned their anger on you, you claim to be hiding away under the rock? Stay there, no one cares! tongue tongue

The dude you are going back and forth with is nothing but a fluffy air head, his posts are half copy and paste words from thesaurus and half meaningless garbage.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by CyberG: 7:16am On Nov 30, 2011
Eko Ile:

The dude you are going back and forth with is nothing but a fluffy air head, his posts are half copy and paste words from thesaurus and half meaningless garbage.

Eko. . .I know this dede guy is like that but I was just trying to have a debate for which I will give references to support my position but it's insult again which I can't just let slide. I leave him though but his attempts to re-write history will not work. I am glad his MANY and (MAJOR grin grin) bosses are here on NL to instruct him anytime he strays into falsity! grin grin
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by ACM10: 9:06am On Nov 30, 2011
Katsumoto:

You have goofed again. Go and read St. Jorre's book 'Brothers at War' and you will realise that he wrote the book from a Biafran standpoint. Frederick Forsyth was also British; was he writing from the British/Nigerian point of view or the Biafran/Ojukwu point of view? Britain may have supplied Nigeria with weapons but that is not enough to characterise every Briton. It seems that is all you ever do. You will not accept responsibility for your actions or hold your leaders to account; instead you blame everyone else but yourselves.

Seriously, you guys need to spend more time researching this subject before making ignorant statements and embarrassing yourselves.

I still maintain my stance that John de St. Jorre works for the British intelligence service.

John de St. Jorre was born in London and educated in Britain and Singapore.

His father came to Britain from the Seychelles Islands in the Indian Ocean where the family had settled after leaving France in the 18th century. His mother was English, the daughter of a London policeman.

After (British) military service in Malaysia and reading history at Oxford University, [size=15pt]de St. Jorre embarked on a varied career that began with five years in the British Foreign Service[/size], most of it in embassies in Africa.

He later studied Arabic in the Lebanon and then resigned to become a journalist.

Returning to Africa, he became the London OBSERVER's correspondent there and went on to assignments in Paris, the Middle East and New York.

Among other wars and revolutions, he covered the Nigerian-Biafran civil war, the 1973 Arab-Israeli conflict and the Islamic revolution in Iran.

I must remind you once more that you are an ethnic bigot. You can quote anything to support your partisan stance. If you have good knowledge of the civil war and its actors. What prevents you from writing a book about the events surrounding the war? If you've already published a book; do drop your email so that I can forward the contact of 5 intellectuals that can objectively critique your work. You only come to nairaland to bully kids with your skewed version of history. Why come here to spew your bold-faced lies? If you want to engage in intellectual discussion, NL is not the place for you. It's not enough to be NL professor of history. You are a propagandist.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by chino11(m): 10:17am On Nov 30, 2011
Yoroobas are horrible people. Why did he Awaolowo had to commit suicide?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by manchy7531: 10:19am On Nov 30, 2011
Ye right! What a hogwash? Awo acknowledged the wrong against the ibos by the North. Yet he joined the North to sustain the wrong-doings 9 massacres and genocide) for a nation he called a geographical expression!If he knew all this thing why did he join Northern-led Nigerian government who took power all to dominate Nigeria? Why did he not reject Gowon's appointment and allow North and East to fight it out? Why did he not insist on Aburi Accord which would have addressed his statement that Nigeria was a "mere geographical expression"
You mean Awo accepted appointment with Gowon to sustain a "mere geographical expression" where the rest of tribes - including Yorubas will be dominated by the North.Awo was a tribalist and opportunist - l don't hold it against him! He chose to join the north and exploited the tragedy of the Ibos and the war to strategically enthrone Yorubas as the dominant tribe and reap the post-war political and economical spoils.

All the fools that are trying to reduce the atrocities Awolowo committed against Igbo to what he promised or not promised to Ojukwu. During the genocide awolowo called for total blockade of Biafra. He and Edwin Clark forced Gowon to use hunger and starvation to starve all Igbo children to death. Awolowo ordered his brother Colonel Adekunle to shoot down a Red Cross cargo plane carrying medicine at Eket near Calabar. The world was shocked by that mayhem which prompted Harod Wilson of Britain to undertake a PR mission because the war was about to turn against Nigeria for their atrocities. After the daily shooting war Awo dispossessed Igbo of money. He banned the importation of used clothes which Igbo people traded on to survive. He closed all western universities against Igbo students. The chancellor of Lagos university defied him and admitted qualified Igbo students. Where do I stop to enumerate the injustices meted on Igbo race?

As per the argument being advanced about who released Awo from the Calabar prison it is obvious that Ojukwu released him because the Gowon counter coup was not national and was never accepted by Ojukwu who was the military governor of the Eastern region.There was no way Gowon would have ordered the release of Awo when he was still fighting for legitimacy as far as the East was concerned. The northern coup was not national and more so the regions then were strictly under the control of the regional military governments.Awo was a big coward!! History will judge everyone!

it takes discerning or like minds to decipher what/how great minds reason? See below glimpses of Ikemba's person
*At 13, he slapped a colonial tutor for insulting a junior worker- A yoruba woman
* During Nzeogwu's revolution/coup (always mistaken as Igbo coup),he wasnt involved and played a major role to counter it and also encouraged the coupist to surrender
* His issue with Gowon and the counter coup led by TY Danjuma, Murtala Mohammed and co that toppled Aguiyi Ironsi- (An Igbo man )was professional- Allow the most senior military officer-Ironsi's deputy-A yoruba man (Babafemi Ogundipe) to take over and not Gowon who was several years their junior but obviously, the northern soldiers had their plans.
* When the massacre of the southerners started in the north, he guaranteed the safe return of northerners to their states by providing escorts
* He never waged a war but left in peace when the federals could not guarantee the safety of his people
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by aribisala0(m): 11:23am On Nov 30, 2011
THERE ARE THOSE WHO BELIEVE THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE.
YOU WON'T CONVINCE THEM AND THEY WON'T CONVINCE YOU.

IF AWOLOWO WAS A COWARD OJUKWU CERTAINLY WAS RECKLESS.

PERSONALLY I DO NOT SEE IT AS AN ISSUE OF BRAVERY OR MACHISMO YOU DO NOT PLAY BRAVERY WITH OTHER PEOPLES  LIVES

THAT IS IN MY BOOK THE EXTREME OF FOLLY.
A MAN WHO IS SO BRAVE LED AN ADVENTURE THAT LED TO THOUSANDS OF DEATHS AND COULD NOT WAIT TO SIGN A SURRENDER DOCUMENT.
by the way why are these enemies of awo so afraid of gowon,katsina,obasanjo ,adekunle danjuma and muhammad,
they were soldiers. ojukwu was a soldier. why are you so afraid to raise your voice against soldiers after all ojukwu's conflict was with his colleagues

awo was not a soldier. it was not really his job to be brave.

ANYWAY LET US ALL HOLD OUR VIEWS.
SOME PEOPLE SAY WHERE ONE THING STANDS  ANOTHER THING WILL STAND TOO

WE ARE HERE NOW NOT THERE .
WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT HOW IT IS NOW NOT THEN
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Katsumoto: 1:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
ACM10:

I still maintain my stance that John de St. Jorre works for the British intelligence service.

I must remind you once more that you are an ethnic bigot. You can quote anything to support your partisan stance. If you have good knowledge of the civil war and its actors. What prevents you from writing a book about the events surrounding the war? If you've already published a book; do drop your email so that I can forward the contact of 5 intellectuals that can objectively critique your work. You only come to nairaland to bully kids with your skewed version of history. Why come here to spew your bold-faced lies? If you want to engage in intellectual discussion, NL is not the place for you. It's not enough to be NL professor of history. You are a propagandist.

You provided a quote that states that St. Jorre worked for the British Foreign Service and concluded that he was a British spy. Ok, lets agree for a moment with that asinine assumption; should his being a British spy not have influenced the way he presented information in his book? Shouldn't he have painted Ojukwu in bad light? Is that what he did? Do you realise how silly it was to make that assertion without reading the book?

You can carry on with the insults and characterisations to mask the lack of potency in your arguments. I will continue to focus on facts that I can back up. You can call me a bigot from now till eternity, it doesn't move me and it WILL not sway my arguments. I will continue to flog you in this debate.

You don't know who I am yet you proceed to make funny assumptions; NL sure has a lot of funny characters. You pretend to know me but you only joined NL in the last few months and have nine posts; clearly you are one of those with multiple monikers who rely on multiple monikers to support their arguments.

And lastly, did you pay my way through school? Did you buy me books to read? Do you pay for my Internet service? Are you my dad? If the answer to all those questions is NO, then who the FC.UK are you to tell me where and how I can engage in a debate? What I do with the knowledge I have of the Nigerian Civil war or any other event is my damn business and not yours. Next you will be suggesting you want to wipe my ar.se. Whether I decide to write a book or punch holes in the generational lies that are intended to mis-inform others, it is of no concern of yours.

I am done with you; I will not respond to any more of your imbecilic posts. If you want to have a debate, by all means do but drop this childish and immature attitude.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by tunrexdj(m): 7:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
Truth be told, Ojukwu should be held responsible for the annihilation of his people. The dude was a big coward that that went to war with so little resouces and no clearcut plan on how to prosecute the war, only for him to jump ship when he should have subjected himself to the Hitler treatment.

Ibos should hold their leaders responsible for the doom that befell them.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by danjohn: 8:01pm On Nov 30, 2011
manchy7531:

Ye right! What a hogwash? Awo acknowledged the wrong against the ibos by the North. Yet he joined the North to sustain the wrong-doings 9 massacres and genocide) for a nation he called a geographical expression!If he knew all this thing why did he join Northern-led Nigerian government who took power all to dominate Nigeria? Why did he not reject Gowon's appointment and allow North and East to fight it out? Why did he not insist on Aburi Accord which would have addressed his statement that Nigeria was a "mere geographical expression"
You mean Awo accepted appointment with Gowon to sustain a "mere geographical expression" where the rest of tribes - including Yorubas will be dominated by the North.Awo was a tribalist and opportunist - l don't hold it against him! He chose to join the north and exploited the tragedy of the Ibos and the war to strategically enthrone Yorubas as the dominant tribe and reap the post-war political and economical spoils.

All the fools that are trying to reduce the atrocities Awolowo committed against Igbo to what he promised or not promised to Ojukwu. During the genocide awolowo called for total blockade of Biafra. He and Edwin Clark forced Gowon to use hunger and starvation to starve all Igbo children to death. Awolowo ordered his brother Colonel Adekunle to shoot down a Red Cross cargo plane carrying medicine at Eket near Calabar. The world was shocked by that mayhem which prompted Harod Wilson of Britain to undertake a PR mission because the war was about to turn against Nigeria for their atrocities. After the daily shooting war Awo dispossessed Igbo of money. He banned the importation of used clothes which Igbo people traded on to survive. He closed all western universities against Igbo students. The chancellor of Lagos university defied him and admitted qualified Igbo students. Where do I stop to enumerate the injustices meted on Igbo race?

As per the argument being advanced about who released Awo from the Calabar prison it is obvious that Ojukwu released him because the Gowon counter coup was not national and was never accepted by Ojukwu who was the military governor of the Eastern region.There was no way Gowon would have ordered the release of Awo when he was still fighting for legitimacy as far as the East was concerned. The northern coup was not national and more so the regions then were strictly under the control of the regional military governments.Awo was a big coward!! History will judge everyone!

it takes discerning or like minds to decipher what/how great minds reason? See below glimpses of Ikemba's person
*At 13, he slapped a colonial tutor for insulting a junior worker- A yoruba woman
* During Nzeogwu's revolution/coup (always mistaken as Igbo coup),he wasnt involved and played a major role to counter it and also encouraged the coupist to surrender
* His issue with Gowon and the counter coup led by TY Danjuma, Murtala Mohammed and co that toppled Aguiyi Ironsi- (An Igbo man )was professional- Allow the most senior military officer-Ironsi's deputy-A yoruba man (Babafemi Ogundipe) to take over and not Gowon who was several years their junior but obviously, the northern soldiers had their plans.
* When the massacre of the southerners started in the north, he guaranteed the safe return of northerners to their states by providing escorts
* He never waged a war but left in peace when the federals could not guarantee the safety of his people

We have to remember that Nigeria was at war.  At the beginning of the war Biafra had the upper hand.  What did they do with it?  They decided to invade the Midwest Region and were heading for Lagos.  Why did Ojukwu's Army invade the Midwest region? If he wanted his Republic of Biafra why did he invade the Midwest region?  I was told that the Biafran soldiers were not good colonial masters when they invaded the Midwest.  They were arrogant and cruel.  I was also told that when the federal forces arrived the civilians were so eager to get rid of their captors that they provided information to the soldiers on where to located them.

If the tables were turned I am sure Biafra would have starved the rest of the country.  Given the massacre waged on Igbos in the North, I am sure that starving the "Almajiris" would have been a popular policy in Biafra.  At the end of the day, we were fighting a war and the Igbos were out-manned and outgunned plain and simple.  If you need your ENEMY to feed you during a war then maybe you need to surrender. Shikena.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2011
chino11:

Yoroobas are horrible people. Why did he Awaolowo had to commit suicide?

I think you have been cursed that may the scale of tribalism never leave your face. everything about you is tribalism. what was your upbringing like? angry are you mentally ok?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Uchek(m): 4:23pm On Dec 01, 2011
Please help me. If l want to bracket a posting before reply to it, how do l do it. Thanks
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by oduasolja: 10:04am On Dec 18, 2011
stupid igbos.

next thing they will blame awolowo for the bombing of lagos.

they will blame awolowo for biafra colonizing the midwest.

they will blame awolowo for biafra committing atrocities against minority opposition.

they will blame awolowo for buying them guns and leading you into war.

everything u criminals did was for one express purpose. to control the oil rich minority lands.

u did not want them to be cut of from u , cus u knew ala igbo alone can not sustain ur overpopulated lot.

so u just turned the whole tragedy into an even greater tragedy.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by ekwynwa: 7:02am On Feb 20, 2012
Awo baba sorry o, a failed cover up.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by holysina(m): 6:10pm On Oct 25, 2012
I sense some controversies in this statement. First, Gowon said the starvation was caused by Ojukwu's refusal to bring food to the biagran people via land, fearing that the Nigerian soldiers would poison it, and Ojukwu insisted on the continuous supply of food via air lifting which has been the way the food has been supplied to the biafrans through the RED CROSS. My question now is, how come Awololo is saying 'the vehicles that carries the food were been ambushed by the biafran soldiers'! Am confused here, are they sending the food through land or by ai?. Is either Gowon is lying or Awo is.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lastpage: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
PointB: [size=28pt]IGBOS ARE BACK! IS THAT WHY NIGERIA IS CATCHING COLD? grin grin grin[/size]

Sure, BACK to where they were.... just before the war broke out in 1967!
shocked shocked shocked shocked

Just like it was that time, when everyone was telling them: Take it easy, stop this Gra-Gra wey you dey do!

As expected, BACK to making noise and boasting that they would roast that Nigerian Army in 48hours!
grin grin

'First time, ...could be a MISTAKE"! sad
'Second time, .....that would be utter foolishness! shocked shocked

My prayer is that they've learnt a few lessons from "History" but looking at it,

[size=16pt]the only thing they learned is how to POINT STUBBY FINGERS AT YORUBAS!
[/size] grin grin

Abegii joor, make we hear word!

Next Bass jare!

Lastpage!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lastpage: 6:14pm On Nov 02, 2012
manchy7531: Ye right! What a hogwash? Awo acknowledged the wrong against the ibos by the North. Yet he joined the North to sustain the wrong-doings 9 massacres and genocide) for a nation he called a geographical expression!If he knew all this thing why did he join Northern-led Nigerian government who took power all to dominate Nigeria?[b] Why did he not reject Gowon's appointment and allow North and East to fight it out? [/b]Why did he not insist on Aburi Accord which would have addressed his statement that Nigeria was a "mere geographical expression"....

I just wonder why people like you bury your head in the sand, like an Ostrich?
For the sake of others, Awo..... and the entire South/West was "NEUTRAL" about the war (which was mainly and initially between Igbos and Huasa, as you pointed out) ....UNTIL Ojukwu, in his "foolish wisdom" decided to direct his attack towards Awo's kingdom!

Ask your self: What was Ojukwu looking for, that he attacked the South and Mid- West?(Ijaw, Benin, Itshekiri kingdoms?)
Where they part of his Biafra? Did those people attack him first? Where they in hi spart of defending Biafra or attacking the North?

Again, ask yourself: Why did Ojukwu (that guy must be high on Lemon Grass!) attack the Yoruba lands?
Was Ondo, Oore downwards, part of Biafra?
If you wanted the West to keep out of a war and remain neutral, is it not the highest height of stewpidity, to then go and ransack their communities .....and expect them to just let you run roughshod over them?

Ojukwu must miscalculated (just like most Igbo are doing even today) that Yorubas are cowards and he can just overrun their territory!

What would Ojukwu himself do, if he was in Awo's position and Yorubas overrun Owerri and Onitsha?
He will raise his hands in the air and offer them ice-cream, right?

Put mildly, Ojukwu was "strategically foolish and tactically naive" to try and open two war fronts (Northern and Western) at the same time! Who the heck does that Bin Laden look-alike think he is?

manchy7531: During the genocide awolowo called for total blockade of Biafra. He and Edwin Clark forced Gowon to use hunger and starvation to starve all Igbo children to death. Awolowo ordered his brother Colonel Adekunle to shoot down a Red Cross cargo plane carrying medicine at Eket near Calabar. The world was shocked by that mayhem which prompted Harod Wilson of Britain to undertake a PR mission because the war was about to turn against Nigeria for their atrocities. After the daily shooting war Awo dispossessed Igbo of money. He banned the importation of used clothes which Igbo people traded on to survive. He closed all western universities against Igbo students. The chancellor of Lagos university defied him and admitted qualified Igbo students. Where do I stop to enumerate the injustices meted on Igbo race?

Stop whining like a baby!
Whether you like it or not, Awo as a strategist, is not in the league of Ojukwu, by a million miles!
If Ojukwu was the best you guys can produce, then l pity your future!
He foolishly led you into war .. and ran away like a thief, when the heat was on!

Real "leaders", Real "Generals", dont run away from their Army!
They will rather die in battle of "Fall on their Sword" like a real man!
But Ojukwu scampered-off like A Rabbit! ... left all of your parents to die like rats
(and that is your hero!) shocked shocked

manchy7531: it takes discerning or like minds to decipher what/how great minds reason? See below glimpses of Ikemba's person
* His issue with Gowon and the counter coup led by TY Danjuma, Murtala Mohammed and co that toppled Aguiyi Ironsi- (An Igbo man )was professional
I see, he has been a truant from age 13!
No wonder he foolishly believed he could win a Nigerian Army with his rag-tag Biafran army!
Whether we like it or not, for running away from the war front when his soldiers were dying for his "gra-gra", he deserved to be shot on capture.

Even Awo, who was a civilian, did not run away when things got tough!
This same Ojukwu stabbed his Igbo Brother (Nzeogwu) in the back and countered a coup that would have made the Biafran war (and the death of over 3million Igbos) unnecessary!
Ofcourse, he has to be "the one" that liberated the Igbo! Not Nzeogwu!
Some egocentric fool he was.

Lastpage
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lastpage: 9:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
lucenzo: One thing I've noticed about my Yoruba brothers is that they are cowards.

It takes a real man to admit his failure ...and pay the ultimate price for it!

The legendary Japanese warriors call it "harakiri"!
You commit a blunder, you put your life on the line and fall on your sword.

If truly Awo committed suicide as you said, He is a "real warrior" of the Japanese parallel.
BETTER TO DIE THAN TO BE RIDICULED.

Now compare him to that Rabbit who ran away when his people were being slaughtered!
He could not even look Awo in the face!
Only to re-emerge when he knew the war has ended! Bloody "deserter" angry angry
And he calls himself a "military man"?

SHAME ON OJUKWU, THE RABBIT!

if this is how Biafran Armies look like (Fight and run-away),
Then Yorubas are real COWARDS! grin grin grin

No wonder they got slaughtered like Chickens at Oore ... by the same Yorubas!

Ojukwu and all Biafrans need to take lectures from "The Scorpion" Adekunle(Any thing move, l shoot it down! grin )

Abeg, that name "Ojukwu" would forever remain a disgrace, wherever "real men" are mentioned.

Ojukwu the Run-away leader, expecting Awo to feed his soldiers with ice-cream... in his absence!!! shocked shocked

Lastpage!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Desola(f): 9:22pm On Nov 02, 2012
lastpage:

Sure, BACK to where they were.... just before the war broke out in 1967!
shocked shocked shocked shocked

Just like it was that time, when everyone was telling them: Take it easy, stop this Gra-Gra wey you dey do!

As expected, BACK to making noise and boasting that they would roast that Nigerian Army in 48hours!
grin grin

'First time, ...could be a MISTAKE"! sad
'Second time, .....that would be utter foolishness! shocked shocked

My prayer is that they've learnt a few lessons from "History" but looking at it,

[size=16pt]the only thing they learned is how to POINT STUBBY FINGERS AT YORUBAS!
[/size] grin grin

Abegii joor, make we hear word!

Next Bass jare!

Lastpage!

2ndbase??
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
I just really wish folks would suck on a lemon and quit whining.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Uchek(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23
A minister making recommendation to the panel.

quote author=sheyguy post=9644791]
if there were any left why didn't the ibos come out with evidence like AWO requested ? ? ? They culd av kept them as evidence of injustice but . . . . . .
Ur point even sounds weaker when we consider the fact that AWO did not make recommendations to the panel that came up with the 20 pounds policy.
Like i said earlier ibo will still look for excuses. Too bad

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Senate President Lawan Warns Multichoice On Tariff Hike / Doctors, Nurses Will Be Our Agents At Polling Units – Labour Party / Henry Ugboma: Wike Mandated Our Transition Panel To Destroy Amaechi Politically

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.