Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,417 members, 7,881,532 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:39 PM

DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. (48627 Views)

Alec Baldwin: Manslaughter Charges DROPPED After Fatal Movie Set Shooting / You Are Viewing Bein Sports Illegally - TSTV Subscribers Warned By Bein Station / Dstv Gotv Complains Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by mcdon024(m): 12:49pm On Jun 14
DSTV is currently complaining that subscribers have dropped massively in Nigeria.

So you people were serious when you said you will stop subscribing?

Thoughts on this ?

Multichoice Blames Nigeria’s Economy For Decline In DStv Subscribers

African Pay-TV operator, Multichoice Group, has blamed Nigeria’s economy as DStv active subscribers in the country declined by 18 per cent.

The company stated this on Wednesday in its financial result for the year, which ended March 31, 2024.

It said the decline in Nigeria affected its overall subscriber database leading to a 9 per cent decline for the year.

The total subscription figure for Nigeria was not stated as it is lumped with other operating units outside South Africa tagged as ‘Rest of Africa’ (RoA).

Multichoice reported that the 18% decline in Nigeria brought the RoA’s total active subscribers down by 13% to 8.1 million from 9.3 million in 2023.

The group’s 9% decline in active subscribers was mainly due to a 13% decline in the Rest of Africa business as mass-market customers in countries like Nigeria had to prioritise basic necessities over entertainment, while the South African business showed more resilience with a 5% decline.

“The Nigerian economy and consumers faced persistent challenges through FY24. The removal of fuel subsidies, sharp currency depreciation with the official naira halving in value, inflation climbing to over 30%, and higher emigration of the middle and upper class drove an 18% YoY decline in active subscribers,” the company said.

Multichoice added that this also reduced Nigeria’s contribution to the Rest of Africa revenues from 44% to 35%.

It noted, however, that Ghana saw a similar subscriber trend given an inflation rate that is still above 20 per cent.

Multichoice further stated that due to the challenging market dynamics, the short-term focus of its RoA (Nigeria, Angola, Kenya, Ghana, and Zimbabwe) business was shifted from subscriber growth to safeguard profitability and cash flows.

“Several cost-saving initiatives were implemented, including scaling back significantly on decoder subsidies (-46% YoY or ZAR1.3 billion), and reducing selling, general, and administrative (SG&A) costs by ZAR500 million. These interventions enabled the Rest of Africa business to increase trading profit by 48% YoY to ZAR1.3 billion,” it said.

Recall that Ahead of the implementation of Multichoice’s new subscription prices on May 1, a Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal (CCPT) sitting in Abuja issued an order restraining the company from implementing the new prices based on a case filed by a Nigerian customer.

LEADERSHIP reported that Multichoice ignored the court order and implemented the new prices which prompted the Tribunal to slam a N150 million fine on the company for challenging the jurisdiction of the court.

The verdict delivered by three of the panel led by Thomas Okosu, also ordered Multichoice to give Nigerians a one-month free subscription on DSTV and GOTV.

https://leadership.ng/multichoice-blames-nigerias-economy-for-decline-in-dstv-subscribers/#google_vignette

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Zonefree(m): 12:52pm On Jun 14
To dump my multi choice decoder is the second best decision I've taken this year. I'm so glad and proud I took that decision.

453 Likes 30 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by helinues: 12:55pm On Jun 14
Why should they also increase their subscription fee ridiculously?

252 Likes 13 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by vonlogon: 1:16pm On Jun 14
I dropped mine like 3 years ago got a smart TV and did the maths. Cheaper and more options, never had to watch one thing over and over. I remember when DSTV dish was on an average of 4 per house distribution.

182 Likes 10 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by deathtoLeo: 1:17pm On Jun 14
lol DSTV will not know what will hit them soon.
my 2 neighbors just bought SLTV yesterday and people are dumping DSTV massively.

255 Likes 10 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Natbrowny: 1:18pm On Jun 14
Customer service called me several times
I keep giving them same response

If you be me. Shey u go sub. One even laughed mildly.

I sha pray make dem no sack am.. Coz i said it in a way that u must giggle small

319 Likes 21 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by SpecialAdviser(m): 1:18pm On Jun 14
Na Tinubu cos am.

How can we subscribe to be watching an 80year old man fall yakata every second?
It's touching my heart abeg. I no wan feel bad again.

176 Likes 9 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by jmoore(m): 1:21pm On Jun 14
mcdon024:

DSTV is currently complaining that subscribers have dropped massively in Nigeria.

Thoughts on this ?
Source: Babablu media

Modified: A source was later added.

The patronage affects other businesses. Many parked their cars, less petrol is being sold.

So DSTV complaining is not an isolated case. Many companies have shutdown because of Tinubulation voodoo governance.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by correctyourself(m): 1:28pm On Jun 14
The subscription cost is high, again there is no light to watch television even when you subscribe. So, why should we continue to pay?

Except if they agree on pay as you watch.

192 Likes 17 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Bendeco2020: 1:28pm On Jun 14
It will drop more

Am planning to drop mine for SLTV soon

120 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by anonymous1759(m): 1:47pm On Jun 14
undecidedBefore Nkor? Any little thing you’ll increase price but never for once have you guys considered to give the customers pay per view which is reasonable & justifiable .
With online streaming coming to limelight multi choice should thread with caution ⚠️. Aside from live matches every other activities is recycled undecided
but as usual OBIDIENTs will still blame this on their King 🤴 Ezechukwu of Igbo land Bola Ahmed Tinubu the chief Tormentor 8

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Mbanda(m): 1:50pm On Jun 14
mcdon024:

Thoughts on this ?
Where is your source oga?
Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by kokoA(m): 1:51pm On Jun 14
One customer service agent called me and I told her "babe, the earlier you hustle for another job the better for you o, me no dey subscribe again o".

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Oghene86: 1:57pm On Jun 14
mcdon024:

Thoughts on this ?

You guys should close shop and go

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by nairaman66(m): 1:58pm On Jun 14
I dun drop DStv since na

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Kanixt(m): 1:59pm On Jun 14
Complaining to who?

They're not serious.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Carazon: 2:18pm On Jun 14
I dropped mine 2 years ago.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by femijay8271(m): 2:30pm On Jun 14
They ain't see shit yet

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by GanagiBitrus: 2:30pm On Jun 14
For many Nigerians, DSTV subscription has dropped low in the Scale of Preference.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Hezmatosky: 2:30pm On Jun 14
E remain MTN angry

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by crossfm: 2:30pm On Jun 14
Hehehe.

Them go explain taya grin.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by venabili: 2:31pm On Jun 14
Only euro 2024 wan makee subcribe today

31 Likes

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Dimaya: 2:31pm On Jun 14
Hmm
Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Creamypie(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14
Which light u wan use? I pay subscription, you pay 100k per month to enjoy it a little. 100k fuel give u less than 130 liters.how much be salary? Na dstv we come achieve?

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Gbadugbakun(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14
People are struggling to feed. This ones are talking about DStv subscription.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Kingpele(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14
Sorry
Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 2:32pm On Jun 14
I have abandoned GOTv and DSTV long ago. I watch YouTube.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by wman(m): 2:33pm On Jun 14
venabili:
Only euro 2024 wan makee subcribe today

Euro, Copa America and Olympics.

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Confirm4real(m): 2:33pm On Jun 14
Dem go soon leave Nigeria for Emilokan cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Sonofgod1990(m): 2:33pm On Jun 14

6 Likes

Re: DSTV Complains That Subscribers Have Dropped Massively In Nigeria. by Kukutente23: 2:33pm On Jun 14
Zonefree:
To dump my multi choice decoder is the second best decision I've taken this year. I'm so glad and proud I took that decision.
What's the first cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Airtel Shades Mtn In New TV Ad / BBNaija Winner, Whitemoney Hospitalized (Video) / Sex In The Toilet: BamBam & I Are Just Having Fun, I Have A Girlfriend - Teddy A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.