Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,564 members, 7,972,125 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 01:16 AM

Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? (289 Views)

Have You Ever Stayed 48 Hours Straight Without Visiting Nairaland? / How Can I Stop The Bonding Between My Wife And The People She Stayed With Before / She Stayed With Her Husband Through Difficult Times,Now This Has Happened To Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by Fesline(m): 11:06pm On Jun 14
By definition: A perfectionist is a person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible. -(Google)

My Experience: It took me time to notice that, My grandmother is a perfectionist.

When I was young we(I and my siblings) used to visit her during the holidays(on vacation). I begin to realize this during her last visit to our place before i travel back to school. Though it's not quite clear and noticable when I was young.

She complained about everything, nothing is ever perfect for her.

She complained about how you eat, how you dress, how you arrange things, how you talk, how you play, how you bath, how you cook, how you wash, how you brush etc.

She become so nagging and annoying, there is no how perfect you cook or do something to her satisfaction, she even complained about her own food when she cook..... That's when I begin to observe her.

Although, there are good character I found in her is as she always correct wrong doing and she didn't care if her word hurt you or not, she will say it to your face.... And sh get to like the food she complained so much about when you're preparing it(funny grin)

When you stay with her; firstly, you need to understand her, if not you might be frustrated and grow to hate her.

Her way of commenting and talking make people around her sometimes frustrated and tired of her.

Apart from this, she is lovely and has a perfect heart to correct, she is someone you will really miss after you're away from her smiley , quite interesting right smiley

Have you ever stay with a perfectionist? Or
Narrate your experience....

You might be a perfectionist without knowing.

Note: This page is to enlighten your view about how to treat people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by budaatum: 11:22pm On Jun 14
Yeah, I know a perfectionist. They complained about everyone and everything and ended up alone and lonely because no one and nothing was good enough for them.
Re: Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Jun 14
I used to struggle greatly with perfectionism myself only the definition I lean towards is different from the one you have above, @OP. 🙂
Perfectionism, in psychology, is a broad personality trait characterized by a person's concern with striving for flawlessness and perfection and is accompanied by critical self-evaluations and concerns regarding others' evaluations. It is best conceptualized as a multidimensional and multilayered personality characteristic, and initially, some psychologists thought that there were many positive and negative aspects.

Maladaptive perfectionism drives people to be concerned with achieving unattainable ideals or unrealistic goals that often lead to many forms of adjustment problems such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, OCD, OCPD, and low self-esteem. These adjustment problems often lead to suicidal thoughts and tendencies and influence or invite other psychological, physical, social, and further achievement problems in children, adolescents, and adults. Although perfectionist sights can reduce stress, anxiety, and panic, recent data, compiled by British psychologists Thomas Curran and Andrew Hill, show that perfectionistic tendencies are on the rise among recent generations of young people

Perfectionists strain compulsively and unceasingly toward unattainable goals. They measure their self-worth by productivity and accomplishments to the point that some tendencies even lead to distraction from other areas of life. Perfectionists pressure themselves to achieve unrealistic goals that inevitably lead to disappointment. Perfectionists tend to be harsh critics of themselves, their work, and their failure to meet their own expectations.
In my case, there was no nagging or the sort though I struggled to adapt to reality beginning with the reality of things and life in Nigeria for the longest. 😁

Anyways, because of this, I would not use the term so loosely to describe your grandmother given she instead seems, from your description, to bully or attack others but not living by her standards. She is a nitpicker and even a bully; probably needs to have someone put her in her place every time. 😁
Re: Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by Sapasenator: 1:18am On Jun 15
Most time, the so called perfectionist usually have a condition called OCD. Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Nope, I cannot live with such a person.
Re: Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by Cassandraloius: 2:31am On Jun 15
Most times, they become lonely for the rest of their lives. I have an aunt like that, we were always careful with everything concerning her anytime we visit.
Re: Have You Ever Stayed With A Perfectionist? by MrAdam: 6:40am On Jun 15
All Nigerian mothers of that generation were perfectionists.. Just make stupid moves and get the corrected stupidly. That was the way they raised our generation and I'm thinking it's a better way of raising kids compared to the soft parents that fight with their kid because they wouldn't allow them play under the rain..

(1) (Reply)

Omoh! If You've Eaten/tasted Alligator Before, You Need To See This! / With #50k Monthly Payment You Own Your House @flourish Estate / Delete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.