Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,417 members, 7,881,527 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:25 PM

Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers (231 Views)

Nnamchi: Why We Are Pushing For 6-Year Single Tenure, Rotation Of Offices / Ohanaeze To Yahaya: You Were In School When Rotational Presidency Was Agreed / Rotational Presidency: Zulum Backs Southern Governors, Denies VP Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers by Kuginzi: 6:56am On Jun 15
Many Nigerians have declared their support for the proposed bills by 35 members of the House of Representatives seeking a single term of six years for the president and state governors as well rotation of the presidency among the country’s six geopolitical zones and rotation of the governorship among the three senatorial districts in the state.

A spokesperson for the lawmakers under the auspices of the Reformed-minded Legislators, Ikenga Ugochinyere, said the proposal would reduce cost of governance, unite the country, and ensure a seamless transition and unprecedented development. Throwing their weight behind the bill, Nigerians argued that if passed into law, the bills would

end agitations, redefine the country’s democracy and bring peace and equity.

Some citizens however dismissed the proposal saying a single six-year tenure was not the way out for many problems besetting the country and would not change anything.

Rotational presidency ‘ll end agitations —Mazi Ohuabunwa

Former Chairman, National Economic Summit, Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa, said a single six-year term for the President will arrest the unnecessary fight and desperation associated with second term bid. According to him, “This idea is fantastic. I think the proponents are the most patriotic Nigeria lawmakers I have ever seen or heard in recent times. I’m so impressed that they have looked at all the issues causing trouble in Nigeria. They have just given solutions to Nigeria’s problems.

They have given a very simple solution. A single-term presidency will put a stop to all the trouble that we have been going through in this country. Somebody who is fighting to succeed because of a second term will stop. This is the time you see the fiercest fight because the incumbent uses government resources to impose himself/herself on the people unlike in the first term where one depends on one’s personal resources. Second term bid is when the country is shaking and wants to break but this single term presidency will solve it.”

On rotation of presidency, he said, “Rotation of presidency will bring peace and equity. It will minimize friction because everybody will have to wait for their turn. It will also bring healthy competition among the six geopolitical zones. So, I support it and want all the lawmakers to support it. I also want all the elections to be held in one day. Let’s also adopt electronic transmission of election results. I just wish that other National Assembly members would wake up and stop being anti-Nigeria or thinking of how it will benefit them first.

The fate of the bill would however be decided by the disposition of the Government in power. If the government in power agrees with the proposition, it will pass easily but if the government is lackadaisical over it, then we are in trouble. The President used to talk of reforms but he has stopped. But if he believes in reforms and works towards it, the bill will pass”.

A single-term will reduce corruption, cost of elections — Emiaso, a retired judge
Also supporting the bill, an ex-president of the Delta State Area Customary Court, Miakpor Emiaso, said, “A single-term system is good for this country, given our experiences with conducting elections for a second term. The second tenure arrangement encourages massive corruption on the part of governors and presidents who want to return for a second term.

They loot public money and reserve it for elections. If there is no second tenure, he will do his best in the six years that he has to be there. A single-term arrangement will reduce corruption and the cost of elections.

It is very advantageous to our political system and it should be encouraged. It is not as if it does not have its disadvantages, but I think the advantages heavily outweigh the disadvantages. With the second term arrangement, you hear arguments that we started projects that we want to complete, but with a six-year single tenure system, you start a project, and any time you leave, the incoming administration will continue from where you stopped. We should have an arrangement under our laws that would bind incoming administrations to continue whatever projects the previous administrations have invested public funds into.”

On rotational presidency, he said, “It should be rotational to reflect the federal character of this country to make sure that no part of this country is treated as second class and not capable of producing the president. When you talk of rotation at the federal level; you must also talk of rotation at the state level. It should cut across the entire spectrum of the country and of the states. It creates balance and encourages everyone to be part of the system without any part feeling that they are being marginalized or treated as second-rate citizens.”

The bills will solve our inability to manage our diversity—Adima
A political activist, Mr Blessing Adima said: “For the single term, I give the House of Representatives, kudos, and thumbs up. They are trying to implement a section of the 2014 National Confab, which recommended a single-term tenure for the President. When those who are elected know that they have one tenure, they cannot afford to fail because when they fail, they know that they will have a bad record. The politicians are lazy because they think they have a second term and by the time they get it, they are already used to the bad system of governance.

I think the members of the House of Representatives are on the right track for single tenure. I am in support of it. On rotational presidency, it is a welcome development. For me, with the complex nature of Nigeria and our inability to manage our diversity, the issue of rotation is crucial to us so that nobody will be crying of marginalization.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/single-tenure-rotational-presidency-governorship-nigerians-hail-lawmakers/amp/

1 Like

Re: Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers by ayoolataiwo(m): 7:04am On Jun 15
said the proposal would reduce cost of governance, unite the country, and ensure a seamless transition and unprecedented development. Any measures that will help cut ✂️ corruption and trim cost of governance is a good one.I pray the cabals and politically benefited people won't truncate the idea
Re: Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers by IgboArePigs(m): 7:09am On Jun 15
No Nigerian hail the rubbish bill but Osus,they want to be President using back door unfortunately for them,nobody will pass such useless bill into law. Osu can never rule freeborn
Re: Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers by Chikel20000(m): 7:16am On Jun 15
IgboArePigs:
No Nigerian hail the rubbish bill but Osus,they want to be President using back door unfortunately for them,nobody will pass such useless bill into law. Osu can never rule freeborn
lyour generations including d ones not yet born are osus.
Re: Single Tenure, Rotational Presidency/governorship: Nigerians Hail Lawmakers by slimjohn2k5: 7:51am On Jun 15
I person will still sponsor all the president

(1) (Reply)

Wale Edun And Cardoso; Who Authorized Sale Of Ubnplc F/asse / Army Vows To Punish Oil Vandals In Abia / 2019: Delta Councillors Adopt Okowa For Second Term. To Buy Nomination Form For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.