Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,815 members, 7,872,734 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up (43829 Views)

Finidi George Resigns As Super Eagles Head Coach / NFF Appoints Finidi George As Super Eagles Head Coach / NFF Confirms Jose Peseiro As Super Eagles Head Coach, Finidi As Assistant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by blacknp(m): 6:46pm On Jun 16
Nawa4nl:
You resigned becos ur useless like Ebola the cocaine sniffer
Charcoal pot calling electric kettle black, are you any better than them?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Kwaramustgoodag: 6:46pm On Jun 16
No dey shalaye jo
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Jonjam269: 6:47pm On Jun 16
Feintline:
Just 2matches and finidi has thrown in the towel.
Tinubu aka builder of lagos, what are you waiting for?
Dont you know you have you and your gang have turned the country to an idp camp?
Dont you know you have destroyed the nation?
Your serial party defector and Pandora fraudster who ruined and ran Anambra State aground for 8years didn't resign.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by ogbonti: 6:48pm On Jun 16
Oracle411:
He's a frustrated man, looked for who to pull down with him, stupidly chose Osimhen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNt8fXCtyw

shorrop ya dirty mouth - Before Osimhen was born - Finidi was already a legend - look at Finidi destroying Barcelona - the first player Fiinidi dribbled past in this video is the (then) Barcelona Captain Pep Guardiola, who is currently the Coach of Manchester City - can Osimhen dare insult Pep Guardiola - thun da fa ya ona yan sh angry

5 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by victory36(m): 6:52pm On Jun 16
ogbonti:

shorrop ya dirty mouth - Before Osimhen was born - Finidi was already a legend - look at Finidi destroying Barcelona - the first player Fiinidi dribbled past in this video is the Barcelona Captain Pep Guardiola, who is currently the Coach of Manchester City - can Osimhen dare insult Pep Guardiola - thun da fa ya ona yan sh angry
legend of who? Bro has just one good season and is being called a legend 😒
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Antoeni(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16
The Heat Was too Much
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by omoredia: 6:55pm On Jun 16
U are not happy with Finidi performance yet you will say Tinubu should be given more time. You can see that despite the level of education of a Nigerian they still cannot reason properly

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Babastrong(m): 6:55pm On Jun 16
The players are too arrogant. Majority of them have forgotten how they started "from selling things in the park to the pitch"
Go to ajegunle and select new set of players biko.
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by lapintoz: 6:56pm On Jun 16
That's a better decision. Leave honorably
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by blackboy(m): 6:59pm On Jun 16
Do you know the millions of dollars nff and Nigeria has lost by not qualifying? It's was a huge loss to nff and Nigeria in general by not qualifying. A huge setback to upcoming footballers too. No one gains by us not qualifying.
robosky02:

Jalla to NFF: Forget 2026 W’Cup, prepare for 2030 edition

Head of the Professional Footballers Association of Nigeria Task Force Harrison Jalla has advised the Nigeria Football Federation to start preparations for the 2030 World Cup rather than hire a foreign coach for the Super Eagles.

Jalla stated this following the federation’s decision to seek the services of a foreigner for the Eagles after their poor performance in the qualifiers for the 2016 World Cup.

Ostensibly unhappy with the team’s dismal outing in their recent qualifying matches, which saw them force South Africa to a 1-1 draw in Uyo and lose 2-1 to Benin Republic in Ivory Coast, the football body on Thursday evening announced its decision to bring in an expatriate coach to boss Finidi George for the remaining World Cup qualifying matches and the upcoming AFCON qualifiers, leaving a rash of bitter reactions in its wake.

Jalla said the problem of the Eagles and Nigerian football was administrative, which the NFF didn’t have both expertise and capacity to address.

“Nothing can be done to salvage the situation; we are already out of the 2026 World Cup and should be preparing for the 2030 edition. The former President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) tried his best, but we still couldn’t qualify for the 2022 edition in Qatar because the people in the NFF don’t know what to do,” Jalla told our correspondent on a telephone interview.

“This is a sheer waste of time. Do they expect the coach to do everything? The problem of the team is administrative and organisational, which the NFF can’t provide.

“Our football has been on a free fall for the last 10 years, and there are no remedies for it because the wrong people are running it.

“In our time, we used to have a standby team where players in the domestic league would vie for spots against foreign-based counterparts. But that is no longer the case.”

Related News
1985 U-17 Word Cup winning coach, Sebastian Broderick dies of stroke
Jalla added, “What happens these days is the coach coming down to Nigeria during FIFA windows to gather the players in three days and play matches, or the players strolling into camp two or three days before a crucial match.

“We should have a sound technical committee that is bigger than the coach, and that will draw up programmes for the coach. We used to have people like Austin Akosa and Segun Odegbami on that committee.”

Also, former Flying Eagles star Tajudern Disu, who is the Technical Director of the Lagos State FA, laughed off the NFF’s decision, which he said was the original game plan of the officials of the body, after they picked Finidi George over Emmanuel Amuneke.

“I said it from the beginning that these NFF people would mess Finidi up. They knew Amuneke was the best indigenous coach who applied for the job, but they chose Finidi because they could control him and make him fail, so, they could hire a foreign coach.

“That has been their plan, and they said it loud and clear.

“Nigerians were agitating for an Indigenous coach, which the NFF didn’t want, and the only way they satisfied Nigerians and still had their way was to appoint an indigenous coach. They will make sure the coach doesn’t live up to expectations and thus put an end to the agitation for an indigenous coach.

“As it is now, no indigenous coach can apply for the job at the moment or soon.”

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Cmanforall: 7:02pm On Jun 16
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Ikpunekenwa(m): 7:03pm On Jun 16
God1000:
I'm not happy with your abysmal performance sir, so Nigeria won't be going for 2026 world cup, we didn't qualify for the 2022 world cup tournament as well.

it won't be fair to lay all the blame on him though, some of our players have become very lackluster and should be discarded, they've outlived their usefulness, the mediocre ones among them, we need players that are ready to play and win matches for Nigeria, Nigeria is blessed with a lot of talented footballers but corruption has messed everything up

You see how you dodged how politicians influence who is to be on the team?
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by WhiteWood: 7:04pm On Jun 16
GeneralOjukwu:
Legend as a player... Olodo as a coach.

Negro go siddon!

Was so disappointed when he was struggling to get jersey from a player.

Stop undervaluing yourself.
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by ogbonti: 7:05pm On Jun 16
victory36:

you are crazy ---- i dont blame you - because u are a kid

Finidi was great from 1991 to 2002 before he hung his boot - his very first game for the super eagles was in the 7-1 manhandling of the stallions of Burkina Faso by the Super Eagles of Nigeria in 1991, and Finidi scored - I watched that match live - then Finidi was in Calabar Rovers -- FROM there he moved to Ajax ---- I dont need to repeat myself here - what FINIDI achieved with AJAX from 1994-1997- Victor Osimhen will be too luck to achieve half of it in his career - go and research ---- and when Finidi moved to Real Betis - here is one of his games destroying Barcelona in the finals of the Spanish Cup. Pride will destroy Osimhen and he will return to that gutter he came from since he cant respect elders

Every Coach talks bad of their players sometimes to bring the best out of them - Have you seen Jose Maurinho talk down players before ? Brendan Rogers? Sir Alex Fergusson, Roberto Manchini? that is their job-- to play the mind game on players to bring the best out of them -- WHEN MARADONA accused MESSI IN 2010 THAT MESSI IS ONLY A BARCELONA PLAYER WHO CANT DO ANYTHING SPECTACULAR WHEN HE IS WEARING THE JERSEY OF THE NATIONAL TEAM OF ARGENTINA --- now read this again - MESSI CAME TO PLAY FOR ARGENTINA OOOOOO YET MARADONA ACCUSED HIM OF NOT DOING ENOUGH to be that great player to take over from him - how many times did MESSI swear OGUN FOR MARADONA ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llktgY7ppBI

Use your brain little child - IF Finidi was the coach of the team Osimhen plays for in Europe and Finidi talks trash to him - will Osimhen talk anyhow to him ? The Great Pep Guardiola of Barcelona and Manchester City na Finidi mate for football - he is the first Barca player Finidi dribbled in the video below - can Osimhen talk to Pep Guardiola anyhow ? --- useless GEN Z -- RESPECT YOUR ELDERS SO U CAN LIVE LONG

By 2054, a small brat born in 2031 (7 years from now - who will be playing for Real Madrid then in the future -probably will be Nigeria's first World Footballer of the Year ) na him go swear Ogun for Super Eagles Coach Victor Osimhen --- life na turn by turn no worry - e go reach every body

8 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by pfadom: 7:06pm On Jun 16
So that was why he only to manage a win, two draws and one loss in four games under his watch?

Finidi is a failure.

God1000:
I'm not happy with your performance sir, so Nigeria won't be going for 2026 world cup, we didn't qualify for the 2022 world cup tournament as well.

it won't be fair to lay all the blame on him though, some of our players have become very lackluster and should be discarded, they've outlived their usefulness, the mediocre ones among them, we need players that are ready to play and win matches for Nigeria, Nigeria is blessed with a lot of talented footballers but corruption has messed everything up

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Mrexcell(m): 7:07pm On Jun 16
God1000:
I'm not happy with your performance sir, so Nigeria won't be going for 2026 world cup, we didn't qualify for the 2022 world cup tournament as well.

What is happening in nigerian polity is obviously also affecting the super eagles.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Cmanforall: 7:07pm On Jun 16
10mobile:
What's that? Is that also why he was calling out Osimhen?

Did he actually call him out?

Can you send link?
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Ikpunekenwa(m): 7:08pm On Jun 16
ogbonti:

Osimhen is a MU MU - this is Finidi George destroying Barcelona FC before Osimhen was born. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!!!! angry

You are very right, the man is a legend. Noting else to say.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by arantess: 7:09pm On Jun 16
GanagiBitrus:
Happy Resignation. smiley

It's becoming obvious that only an Oyibo coach can better manage these our egocentric, dollar-earning, foreign-based S/Eagles "big boys".
Doubt if they'll accord any local coach much respect.

An Oyibo coach will also better manage the ethnic diversity of our players.
keshi managed them well sha

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Ikpunekenwa(m): 7:10pm On Jun 16
ogbonti:

you are crazy ---- i dont blame you - because u are a kid

Finidi was great from 1991 to 2002 before he hung his boot - his very first game for the super eagles was in the 7-1 manhandling of the stallions of Burkina Faso by the Super Eagles of Nigeria in 1991 - I watched that match live - then Finidi was in Calabar Rovers -- FROM there he moved to Ajax ---- I dont need to repeat myself here - what FINIDI achieved with AJAX from 1994-1997- Victor Osimhen will be too luck to achieve half of it in his career - go and research ---- and when Finidi moved to Real Betis - here is one of his games destroying Barcelona in the finals of the Spanish Cup. Pride will destroy Osimhen and he will return to that gutter he came from since he cant respect elders

Every Coach talks bad of their players sometimes to bring the best out of them - Have you seen Jose Maurinho talk down players before ? Brendan Rogers? Sir Alex Fergusson, Roberto Manchini? that is their job-- to play the mind game on players to bring the best out of them -- WHEN MARADONA TOLD MESSI IN 2010 THAT MESSI IS ONLY A BARCELONA PLAYER WHO CANT DO NOTHING WHEN HE IS WEARING THE NATIONAL TEAM OF ARGENTINA --- now read this again - MESSI CAME TO PLAY FOR ARGENTINA OOOOOO YET MARADONA ACCUSED HIM OF NOT DOING ENOUGH to be that great player to take over from him - how many times did MESSI swear OGUN FOR MARADONA ?

Use your brain little child - IF FInidi was the coach of the team Osimhen plays for in Europe and Finidi talsk trash to him - will Osimhen talk anyhow to him ? The Great Pep Guardiola of Barcelona and Manchester City na Finidi mate for football - he is the first Barca player Finidi dribbled in the video below - can Osimhen talk to Pep anyhow --- useless GEN Z -- RESPECT YOUR ELDERS SO U CAN LIVE LONG

By 2054, a small brat born in 2031 na him go swear Ogun for Victor Osimhen --- life na turn by turn no worry - e go reach every body

Sir, but wait oo, Finidi is that you?
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by wizrose(m): 7:10pm On Jun 16
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by blowjohn(m): 7:12pm On Jun 16
All of u saying Osimhen goofed will do worse.

Na una type go even tell the person to apologize.

He said he was injured. Shud he play with injury?

Some of u are saying he can't insult his club coach like that! Abeg is finidi paying him salary?

Is he eating his money under NFF or under his club?

Nas captured it perfectly in his song, 'life we chose'

'What's trust, when you get bust, your niggas don't retaliate?
They blaze purple haze with 'em the next day?
God forbid one of my niggas get hit, I'ma go haywire
Won't hesitate, I'ma spray fire
But everybody's different
You won't know how you react, 'til you're in that position, and that's an actual fact
The hearts of men change as time goes on, who's wrong?

Nobody know how he wid react until he or she is in that position.

Osimhen did well. He has done well for the country.
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by aestake: 7:15pm On Jun 16
God1000:

Wetin una wan go do for world cup? grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by arantess: 7:15pm On Jun 16
victory36:
he's still better than osimhen as per football achievements.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by ogbonti: 7:16pm On Jun 16
Ikpunekenwa:

Sir, but wait oo, Finidi is that you?

No I am just an elderly fan of the super eagles since 1980

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by taobudao(m): 7:16pm On Jun 16
robosky02:

Jalla to NFF: Forget 2026 W’Cup, prepare for 2030 edition

Head of the Professional Footballers Association of Nigeria Task Force Harrison Jalla has advised the Nigeria Football Federation to start preparations for the 2030 World Cup rather than hire a foreign coach for the Super Eagles.

Jalla stated this following the federation’s decision to seek the services of a foreigner for the Eagles after their poor performance in the qualifiers for the 2016 World Cup.

Ostensibly unhappy with the team’s dismal outing in their recent qualifying matches, which saw them force South Africa to a 1-1 draw in Uyo and lose 2-1 to Benin Republic in Ivory Coast, the football body on Thursday evening announced its decision to bring in an expatriate coach to boss Finidi George for the remaining World Cup qualifying matches and the upcoming AFCON qualifiers, leaving a rash of bitter reactions in its wake.

Jalla said the problem of the Eagles and Nigerian football was administrative, which the NFF didn’t have both expertise and capacity to address.

“Nothing can be done to salvage the situation; we are already out of the 2026 World Cup and should be preparing for the 2030 edition. The former President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) tried his best, but we still couldn’t qualify for the 2022 edition in Qatar because the people in the NFF don’t know what to do,” Jalla told our correspondent on a telephone interview.

“This is a sheer waste of time. Do they expect the coach to do everything? The problem of the team is administrative and organisational, which the NFF can’t provide.

“Our football has been on a free fall for the last 10 years, and there are no remedies for it because the wrong people are running it.

“In our time, we used to have a standby team where players in the domestic league would vie for spots against foreign-based counterparts. But that is no longer the case.”

Related News
1985 U-17 Word Cup winning coach, Sebastian Broderick dies of stroke
Jalla added, “What happens these days is the coach coming down to Nigeria during FIFA windows to gather the players in three days and play matches, or the players strolling into camp two or three days before a crucial match.

“We should have a sound technical committee that is bigger than the coach, and that will draw up programmes for the coach. We used to have people like Austin Akosa and Segun Odegbami on that committee.”

Also, former Flying Eagles star Tajudern Disu, who is the Technical Director of the Lagos State FA, laughed off the NFF’s decision, which he said was the original game plan of the officials of the body, after they picked Finidi George over Emmanuel Amuneke.

“I said it from the beginning that these NFF people would mess Finidi up. They knew Amuneke was the best indigenous coach who applied for the job, but they chose Finidi because they could control him and make him fail, so, they could hire a foreign coach.

“That has been their plan, and they said it loud and clear.

“Nigerians were agitating for an Indigenous coach, which the NFF didn’t want, and the only way they satisfied Nigerians and still had their way was to appoint an indigenous coach. They will make sure the coach doesn’t live up to expectations and thus put an end to the agitation for an indigenous coach.

“As it is now, no indigenous coach can apply for the job at the moment or soon.”

thanks for this..
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by kiddkash(m): 7:18pm On Jun 16
Samunique:
Is Osimehn bigger than him or Nigeria
Some people are great footballers, doesn't mean they'd make great coaches. Casing point Diego Maradona
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by Ikpunekenwa(m): 7:19pm On Jun 16
ogbonti:

No I am just an elderly fan of the super eagles since 1980

Okay
Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by arantess: 7:19pm On Jun 16
blowjohn:
All of u saying Osimhen goofed will do worse.

Na una type go even tell the person to apologize.

He said he was injured. Shud he play with injury?

Some of u are saying he can't insult his club coach like that! Abeg is finidi paying him salary?

Is he eating his money under NFF or under his club?

Nas captured it perfectly in his song, 'life we chose'

'What's trust, when you get bust, your niggas don't retaliate?
They blaze purple haze with 'em the next day?
God forbid one of my niggas get hit, I'ma go haywire
Won't hesitate, I'ma spray fire
But everybody's different
You won't know how you react, 'til you're in that position, and that's an actual fact
The hearts of men change as time goes on, who's wrong?

Nobody know how he wid react until he or she is in that position.

Osimhen did well. He has done well for the country.

as africans, we frown on disrespect and insult against elders but here you are saying osimhen did well by insulting him..

this same osimhen has insulted victor ikpeba too another senior and african legend, but i guess its normal behaviour to you too

so how many players came out to rant against mourinho when he was always singling them out for criticism.
anyway i guess its you genZ people sha, morals have been lost in this una generation.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by KosiGee(m): 7:21pm On Jun 16
10mobile:
What's that? Is that also why he was calling out Osimhen?

Where and when did he call out Osimhen?? The report didn’t say anything about that?

If you’ve got any link where Finidi mentioned Osimhen, pls provide it.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Super Eagles Head Coach – Finidi George Opens Up by arantess: 7:22pm On Jun 16
kiddkash:

Some people are great footballers, doesn't mean they'd make great coaches. Casing point Diego Maradona
so is osimhen greater than him or nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Player Should Win The African Footballer Of The Year 2022? / Nike Drops Neymar After He Was Accused Of Forcing Mouthaction On A Nike Employee / Cortana Predicts "Germany" To Beat Argentina In The World Cup Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.