Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,263 members, 7,964,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 09:13 AM

My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. (36948 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Our Landlord Is Torturing Us / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Kingrshd3: 7:32pm On Jun 16
H
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by GreenxGreen: 7:32pm On Jun 16
angry

By How 😡😡😡
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by udemzyudex(m): 7:32pm On Jun 16
Tell him you'll fix it and you'll remove the amount spent from his rent.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by NwokoloOwa: 7:32pm On Jun 16
For your sanity and mental well being, forget about the landlord. Let you and your other neighbors fix it so you can think of other more important things.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by wizrose(m): 7:32pm On Jun 16
the land lord supporse collect wotowoto to get sences
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by InvertedHammer: 7:34pm On Jun 16
Halo22:
I have been trying to contain my disgust over the life threatening lifestyle of my landlord and his house hold, but then, it has reached the brim. I would like to make the story short cos I humbly want to seek advice on the best way to tackle this issue at hand.

I live in an environment where we are not that populated in the compound. Every person or household minds his or her business in order to maintain peace and tranquility as well as oneness as was literally advised by the landlord in his preaching of novel peace which has completely been foiled by himself in particular. He has a wife with female children who are all adults. What still baffles me is how the daughters will end up being wives in future. That would be topic for a later day.

Fast forward to early this year, I noticed a leak in the pipe that connects to their own house's toilet and quickly alerted the wife on the need to fix it so it won't deteriorate. When I saw the woman couldn't do much to fix the breakage, I organized some of my neighbours, particularly men, to talk with the husband (landlord). Lo and behold, the man apologized for the inconveniences caused and promised to fix it Asap. Two months down the line in April, we politely met him again to remind him of the dangers of the odour that oozes out of the pit, he again promised to fix it and up until now, the pipe remains unfixed and has completely gone bad, emanating irritating odour all over the compound whenever it rains, mostly my own corner of the building.

At first, I thought about parking out of the compound, but I still have about 6 months' rent running and starting afresh to look for house, the stress, extra payment and all that are not worth engaging in right away. Please what is the best step to take in this situation considering the fact that the wife is a nice and considerate person, just that the husband influences her negatively. I don't want to have issues personally with them. I humbly ask please.
/
Your health is priority.
Call a plumber. Talk to the landlord. Take before and after pictures. Let the plumber fix the problem.

Time to pay rent. Deduct the cost. Let the landlord do his worst.

While you wait to report to a government agency and their reply, you are endangering your health. This is an emergency.

/
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Cmanforall: 7:34pm On Jun 16
The money he will spend during these procedure can be used to fix that pipe.

He should fix it for his own health.

OP, how much is your annual rent?
Maybe your landlord doesn't have money. He is a landlord today may be from his sweats of the past, and your rents are what feeds him and his family

Originalsly:
You've already spoken to him. Write a statement on the situation ... attach photos if possible ... get the other tenants to sign at the bottom. Make copies ... then report to the agency responsible for Environmental Protection and the agency responsible for Disease Control. Note the names and titles of the people you spoke with and dates... have a track record of everything done to rectify the situation. Whether the agencies will take action or not should not bother you ... you are doing this for the records.

The situation you describe... the unpleasant odour is not the danger... the danger her is this can be the source of a cholera outbreak and this is difficult to control ... and does spread fast and far. This may prompt the agencies to spring into action and swoop down on the landlord to not only fix the pipe... but clean up the affected area. If they don't take action ... then the agencies can be held responsible for not preventing the outbreak.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by mamaafrik(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16
Halo22:
I have been trying to contain my disgust over the life threatening lifestyle of my landlord and his house hold, but then, it has reached the brim. I would like to make the story short cos I humbly want to seek advice on the best way to tackle this issue at hand.

I live in an environment where we are not that populated in the compound. Every person or household minds his or her business in order to maintain peace and tranquility as well as oneness as was literally advised by the landlord in his preaching of novel peace which has completely been foiled by himself in particular. He has a wife with female children who are all adults. What still baffles me is how the daughters will end up being wives in future. That would be topic for a later day.

Fast forward to early this year, I noticed a leak in the pipe that connects to their own house's toilet and quickly alerted the wife on the need to fix it so it won't deteriorate. When I saw the woman couldn't do much to fix the breakage, I organized some of my neighbours, particularly men, to talk with the husband (landlord). Lo and behold, the man apologized for the inconveniences caused and promised to fix it Asap. Two months down the line in April, we politely met him again to remind him of the dangers of the odour that oozes out of the pit, he again promised to fix it and up until now, the pipe remains unfixed and has completely gone bad, emanating irritating odour all over the compound whenever it rains, mostly my own corner of the building.

At first, I thought about parking out of the compound, but I still have about 6 months' rent running and starting afresh to look for house, the stress, extra payment and all that are not worth engaging in right away. Please what is the best step to take in this situation considering the fact that the wife is a nice and considerate person, just that the husband influences her negatively. I don't want to have issues personally with them. I humbly ask please.

Infirm LASEPA if it's lagos or ministry of environment of your state.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by LordIsaac(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16
The best choice would still be to move out ASAP; the second best choice is to fix it, wait for the expiration of your rent, and move out! In future, try and avoid renting a house with the landlord living in it.😊
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Babastrong(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16
Get a plumber and repair this thing.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by tete7000(m): 7:37pm On Jun 16
Fix the damn thing to continue to enjoy your life.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by greggng: 7:38pm On Jun 16
Halo22:

Fix that pipe and don't bother the landlord on it again . Watch how his conscience will be flogging him day and night. He will be forced to ask you for your account to refund whatever you spent.

The danger of not fixing it over weighs the benefit of fixing it . Health wise there is cholera this days. It can affect dome of you and eve lead to death . Term what you are doing as a kid d if cooperate social responsibility from your part
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by SonofGod231: 7:39pm On Jun 16
You can fix it and deduct it on your next rent or you can just call environmental. Them be office ohh.
I used environmental on one guy last weekend and he paid 16k to bail himself. E really sweet me coz the guy na pig.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:40pm On Jun 16
Cant you guys in the compound read the hand writing on the wall that he is not financially buoyant for now?
Call the other tenants to meet him for the last time n let his wife be present. Tell him you guys or anyone among you will fix the pipe n in the next rent he will deduct...
Do this and have peace for all!

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Nonexisting1: 7:40pm On Jun 16
The wicked man has seen an opportunity to get rid of you people and rent his house to new tenants at higher price. He is just utilizing his chances.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by bixton(m): 7:42pm On Jun 16
Halo22:

You know yoir landlord better than any of us here.
For keeps, take several snap shots of the broken pipe and it's surrounding and possibly how it looks like after rainfall. This ia just for keeps if you intend to renew your rental for the next couple of years.
Since it's you it affects mostly and if the repairs will cost nothing more than #10,000, probably you should call a plumber or a handyman to fix it. You can as well discuss such with your landlord and it will be deducted from your next rental. You can put it in writing or let it pass if it's something you can do for the same of a good conscience.
But if you want to go by the law, then you'll have to make a report to the ministry of environment and ministry of health.
But still take pictures of it all.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by VIKTO83(m): 7:42pm On Jun 16
I will advice u what I'll do if I'm to be in same situation as u. I won't tell u to do what I cant do.
Since u have been mindful of the peace that exists in d compound and u want to maintain it even though d landlord is trying to do otherwise.
Pls, buy PVC pipe (one length) on ur way feom work, won't cost more that 4500 depending on where u are commenting from.
When u get back home, take it to him in dpresence of his wife and daughters and make sure other tenants at least one sees u.
Watch his wife put heat on him and he does it in 2days
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by aktolly54(m): 7:43pm On Jun 16
Halo22:

if you are financially okay, just pay and fix it. Don't relate with that bastard called landlord and his family. Enjoy your moments in that house and pack out whenever you feel like. To enjoy this life, you must be wise and also play fool card as well
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Allfavours: 7:44pm On Jun 16
Who feels it most you or the landlord, like someone pointed out earlier what you will use to fix it might not be up to what it will cost you if any member of your family catches cholera. Reason it if it were your house won't you fix it, start practicing it from now and God will bless you with your own house.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by ednut1(m): 7:49pm On Jun 16
grin you don dey eye landlord pikin? 😏. Fix it and deduct the money from future rent
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by tfelicityk(m): 7:50pm On Jun 16
Sorry I understood how you felt living in a compound with the owner of the house.

Firstly, call a plumber to give you estimate on the damaged pipe and get the total amount involved. However, make sure you have one of the tenants who you understand to witness everything you are doing.
Secondly, call a meeting with the tenants and let them know the costs to fix the damaged pipes and workmanship. Then, divide the money among you occupants of the compound. Otherwise, if it didn't work that way - kindly fix it yourself if it is what you can afford.
Thirdly, prepared a consent form like which you include the items to be repaired. The landlord and the tenants will sign their respective columns. This consent form is very important please.

Health is wealth. Looking for another apartment because of this simple matter will cost you a lot. The rate the agents are growing fat in the name of looking for a house. It is alarming.

If the landlord wishes to pay you tenant(s) the money in future it will serve as reference. And it will save you of every legal or mischievous means the landlord may want to use against you.

I am talking from experience please. In my case, the landlord refused to sign but other tenants quickly signed it since it is my money I am using to repair it. Then, I did the repair perfectly. It was his lawyer that advised him to pay me the money back. That is how I and the landlord became family friends.

Best of luck.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Codes151(m): 7:52pm On Jun 16
who broke the pipe?

una no fit rally fix am? will u stop disturbing us here becuz of leak way no go cost up to 2k to fix.. smh
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Starpro87(m): 7:52pm On Jun 16
F22RAPTOR:
All the tenants should collaborate and fix the pipe, it's better. Don't wait for the landlord. I can assure you that it will save you from the stress you are currently putting yourselfs through.

Op, consider this opinion.
There are things you do for the sake of your health without the need to bother your landlord.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by jayce232: 7:54pm On Jun 16
lilyheaven:
Ask him if getting a plumber is the issue?
Get a plumber and fix it, let him deduct it from your house rent.
You need to breathe fresh air .
Exactly!
This is what most tenants do, everyone contributes and deduct it from the house rent. Waiting for landlord to fix such issues always take forever.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by StreetFight: 7:54pm On Jun 16
You too should endanger his life, SIMPLE

If you go to the Ministry of Environment, find a guy man like you there and discuss with him. By the time officials of the Ministry visit him and charged him illegally with threat of prosecuting him, even you will be given some percentage from the deal.

Ministry officials will be happy after collecting illegal fine from him, you too will be happy after collecting your share of the illegal fine, the pipe will be fixed and the whole household will be happy

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by MrDIY: 8:00pm On Jun 16
If is because of the extra money you'll spend to move out of the compound is the problem, then the environment is not hazardous enough to your health, probably still still manageable for you!

Because, if it’s that worst you wouldn’t mind that extra money going to avoid renting a bed space at the hospital instead of your new apartment.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by Desusi: 8:01pm On Jun 16
Landlords are no angels and not all of them are agberos,its possible he has a lot on him,besides, the country is terribly hard for some people if not virtually all.Reach a compromise with him to fix it.Your reporting him could be a sign of pride and arrogant. Who knows maybe God has placed you in his house for this purpose.Supposing he is your Father?
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by lagosrd: 8:04pm On Jun 16
Instead of you to fix it asap and avoid health issues yourself . You are asking for an advice whose solution may be too late.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by millionboi(m): 8:07pm On Jun 16
Halo22:

if you have the money to park out, just carry small money take fix m.....remain were you are if that is the only trouble you are having.
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by osazsky(m): 8:11pm On Jun 16
So if u get common plumbing issue u go call ur landlord cuz he stays with u in d same compound what of we that our landlord are overseas...me and my co tenant have bought plumbing mechine twice for our bohehole and nobody heard of it...just they play
Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by evictor305: 8:14pm On Jun 16
You have 3 options left which i will advise you follow in the order listed below:
1. Offer to fix it in a transparent manner which will be deducted from the next rent(all concerned persons can contribute the fund and remove it from the rent of the person paying next then the person can refund every one that contributed according to their quota.
2. Report to environmental protection board for him to do the needful but this one may not end well for him and you may end up having issues with him which may make you consider leaving.
3. Just look for another place after your rent expiry since it's almost due.
Halo22:

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. by chloride6: 8:14pm On Jun 16
You can’t gather tenants together, to call plumber just to patch the leak?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I / Roofing A 4 Bedroom Bungalow In Akure (aluminium Phase) / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.