Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,376 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:04 PM

Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? (798 Views)

The Most Expensive House In Nigeria. Who Owns It? / See Who Owns The Most Expensive Mansion In Nigeria / Who Actually Owns Land In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 10:14am On Jun 16
COMRADES, not long ago, I was listening to an interview granted by the commissioner for lands and housing, Ogun State, when he was asked about the ownership of lands in Ogun State, he replied that minister of housing and urban development owns all the lands in Ogun State. Immediately, I shrouded! And asked myself in disbelief! How?

When senator Adams Oshiomhole was the governor of Edo State, he made a similar statement when he seized the land belonging to his predecessor Lucky Igbenedion, in his words, 'nobody owns lands in Edo State, the only landlords we have in Edo State are the state government and the Oba of Benin'

Such statements leave me in total awe! I keep wondering and asking myself, so, those my ancestral lands wei we get for village na FG get am? Could this be the reason why, when FG relocated FCT from Lagos to Abuja, carved out Abuja and started developing it without paying compensation to the natives of Abuja till date?
Please somebody should educate me on this forum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 10:15am On Jun 16
Governor owns all the lands in each state.

FG is landless, they own only Aso Rock.

4 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 10:17am On Jun 16
PresidObi:

Even your/our ancestral lands?
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 10:19am On Jun 16
Melagros:

Even your/our ancestral lands?

Yes, the state government owns it all, they can only consult you, and may settle your people before taking the land, but if you refuse, they can take it by force. They are empowered by the land use act.

5 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 10:32am On Jun 16
PresidObi:

Yes, the state government owns it all, they can only consult you, and may settle your people before taking the land, but if you refuse, they can take it by force. They are empowered by the land use act.
Hmmmmm, this means our land use act is one of the useless in the world
FG did not compensate the natives of Abuja till date
I remember, few years ago (2019/2020 or so) US government wanted to site a space project in a certain mountainous area, but the natives (Duane Jones/ the Rock is one of them) resisted it, that the land has spiritual significance to them/ locals, they took the US government to court and won the case at the supreme court

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Cypress042: 10:35am On Jun 16
Nigeria right from when it was created practice a capitalist economy

Which means that the federal government, state and it's citizens can own land or any other properties anywhere around the country.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 10:40am On Jun 16
OP the answer to this question you asked is thaught in Primary school somewhere in social studies, dont remember the class anyways....

I always say this and it a very terrible that will be sending Nigeria down a deadly path in a few years.
"Nigeria has the highest number of uneducated graduates in the world today" degrees everywhere but very little education.

This is supposed to be basic knowledge, but we a thread created for it on one of Africas largest forum, its disheartening when you go on Nigeria media space and see the level of Ignorance and illiteracy.
I dont think Nigerian youths have any bragging rights to even talk down the elders in politics, they are way educated than the youth.

Have a 5 minutes conversations with a fresh year university student in the UK or even SA and you will be impressed at the direction the conversation goes. And how they digest each topic and learn from each other.

This op could have simply googled this and gotten an answer but here we are. Its just pathetic

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 10:42am On Jun 16
Melagros:

Hmmmmm, this means our land use act is one of the useless in the world
FG did not compensate the natives of Abuja till date
I remember, few years ago (2019/2020 or so) US government wanted to site a space project in a certain mountainous area, but the natives (Duane Jones/ the Rock is one of them) resisted it, that the land has spiritual significance to them/ locals, they took the US government to court and won the case at the supreme court

I was just talking about your ignorance and here you displayed it again. Where in Nigeria has any state government taken any shrine or traditional worship center?

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 10:52am On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

I was just talking about your ignorance and here you displayed it again. Where in Nigeria has any state government taken any shrine or traditional worship center?

You're right, he should have searched for the information himself.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 11:13am On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

It's obvious that you've never been to Abuja, therfore, you become ignorant to my point
Who told you that shrines and other worship centres were not destroyed in the name of progress in Abuja and other parts of Nigeria? Let me tell you this fact, I may not know much about the Nigerian land use act, but I explore Nigeria more than you
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by stevnwigw1: 11:17am On Jun 16
In Nigeria, the system is a bit different than some countries. Here's the breakdown:

Land Use Act of 1978: This act vests all land in the hands of the government.
State and Local Governments: Federal Government owns land in federal territories, while state governments control land in urban areas and local governments control non-urban areas. They essentially act as trustees of the land for the people.
Citizens' Rights: Citizens have the right to acquire and own land through a leasehold system, typically for a period of 100 years. So, they don't own the land outright, but have a right to use it for a designated period.
Think of it this way: The government is the ultimate owner of the land, but citizens can obtain certificates of occupancy or similar legal documents granting them permission to use the land for a set timeframe

5 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 11:27am On Jun 16
Exousiang01:
OP the answer to this question you asked is thaught in Primary school somewhere in social studies, dont remember the class anyways....

I always say this and it a very terrible that will be sending Nigeria down a deadly path in a few years.
"Nigeria has the highest number of uneducated graduates in the world today" degrees everywhere but very little education.

This is supposed to be basic knowledge, but we a thread created for it on one of Africas largest forum, its disheartening when you go on Nigeria media space and see the level of Ignorance and illiteracy.
I dont think Nigerian youths have any bragging rights to even talk down the elders in politics, they are way educated than the youth.

Have a 5 minutes conversations with a fresh year university student in the UK or even SA and you will be impressed at the direction the conversation goes. And how they digest each topic and learn from each other.

This op could have simply googled this and gotten an answer but here we are. Its just pathetic
You can see how dump you are, you can't answer a simple question without an insult
You're taking a swipe at the Nigerian education system. You who have the standard education, what research work have you presented which Nigeria is benefiting from it today?
If you haven't done any, then shut up your dirty mouth

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Anonymous012: 11:27am On Jun 16
All land belongs to state government. They only lease the land to Citizens, its there in certificate of occupancy

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 11:28am On Jun 16
Melagros:

It's obvious that you've never been to Abuja, therfore, you become ignorant to my point
Who told you that shrines and other worship centres were not destroyed in the name of progress in Abuja and other parts of Nigeria? Let me tell you this fact, I may not know much about the Nigerian land use act, but I explore Nigeria more than you

You have never bought a plot of land in your life and you are making noise....

IF YOU EXPLORE MORE THAN I DO YOU WONT AT THIS AGE OF YOURS BE ONLINE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN HAVE ANSWERS TO.

You are an ignorant and empty headed fellow the ealier you accept that you dont know the faster your brain will be willing to learn.

You are claimimg to explore more than a man you dont know, that is another sign of deep ignorance and arrogance.
If you truly explored ordinary google would have told you this even if you were so dumb in prinary school to know this....

You never buy land before and you dey here dey rant.
We would talk again when you become a man till then, go back to your primary school text books again
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 11:29am On Jun 16
Melagros:

That's where your ignorance stems from, now pick a copy of the land use act and cure it.
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 11:36am On Jun 16
Melagros:

You can see how dump you are, you can't answer a simple question without an insult
You're taking a swipe at the Nigerian education system. You who have the standard education, what research work have you presented which Nigeria is benefiting from it today?
If you haven't done any, then shut up your dirty mouth

Typical.
Ignorance often goes with arrogance.
So a research work is evidence of education? What do you young people do with your brains these days.
Insult is subjective, what you are feeling about my post is not insult, it is guilt, so you see I dont feel insulted when you tell me to shut up my dirty mouth, I already know you are a slowpoke so its the best you could come up with .And people with low I.Q are known to react the way you just did.

I am starting to think you are not even educated, thinking that doing research is the sole evidence of education says alot about you.
#retard.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:36am On Jun 16
PresidObi:

FG is not is not landless, the constitution reserve some potion and I think depth of land to fg.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 11:49am On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

You have never bought a plot of land in your life and you are making noise....

IF YOU EXPLORE MORE THAN I DO YOU WONT AT THIS AGE OF YOURS BE ONLINE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN HAVE ANSWERS TO.

You are an ignorant and empty headed fellow the ealier you accept that you dont know the faster your brain will be willing to learn.

You are claimimg to explore more than a man you dont know, that is another sign of deep ignorance and arrogance.
If you truly explored ordinary google would have told you this even if you were so dumb in prinary school to know this....

You never buy land before and you dey here dey rant.
We would talk again when you become a man till then, go back to your primary school text books again
Yes, I have never bought a plot of land before because my family owns lands, so, what is the need of me buying it? For your information, we leased some of our lands till date

Finally, it is 'primary school, and not prinary school' it is 'this...', not 'this....', effect the connection now
You claimed to have a standard education, but unfortunately you can't spell words correctly, she you see na there me and my ignorant take pass you
Shame on you
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 11:56am On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

Typical.
Ignorance often goes with arrogance.
So a research work is evidence of education? What do you young people do with your brains these days.
Insult is subjective, what you are feeling about my post is not insult, it is guilt, so you see I dont feel insulted when you tell me to shut up my dirty mouth, I already know you are a slowpoke so its the best you could come up with .And people with low I.Q are known to react the way you just did.

I am starting to think you are not even educated, thinking that doing research is the sole evidence of education says alot about you.
#retard.

Guilt? For what? For the question that I've asked
If you think that, research is not the evidence of education, then I am out
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 12:04pm On Jun 16
Melagros:

Yes, I have never bought a plot of land before because my family owns lands, so, what is the need of me buying it? For your information, we leased some of our lands till date

Finally, it is 'primary school, and not prinary school' it is 'this...', not 'this....', effect the connection now
You claimed to have a standard education, but unfortunately you can't spell words accurately, she you see na there me and my ignorant take pass you
Shame on you

Hahahahahah he has not bought a plot of land because his family owns lands... how old are you? What a duck?

About spelling, there is what what we call typographical error, it takes education to know the difference, if you dont the difference between a typo and wrong english then you really need school.

Hahahahaha
My family owns lands, loL have you ever seen the documents.
Whose family doesnt have lands?
The lands we buy belong to families who raised slowpokes like you that couldn't keep the properties. I or my sons would probably start buying off your family lands real soon

I am probably talkking to a 16 years old kid.
Still depending on mummy and daddy.
Alright.

Men dey talk about land this pikin dey talk about family land.
I come from a royal family dont talk to me about family land young man.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 12:06pm On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

Hahahahahah he has not bought a plot of land because his family owns lands... how old are you? What a duck?

About spelling, there is what what we call typographical error, it takes education to know the difference, if you dont the difference between a typo and wrong english then you really need school.

Hahahahaha
The lands we buy belong to families who raised slowpokes like you that couldn't keep the properties. I or my sons would probably start buying off your family lands real soon

Alright.

grin grin grin

I Just fell down from a mango tree grin grin
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 1:38pm On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

Hahahahaha

Alright.

Royal family? Nairaland billionaire, weldone
Prove to me here that you are a prince and also a millionaire or else you keep quiet in peace

Still on the education, there's still noise in your communication flow, but I don't want to point it out, let me just allow you like that, since you claimed to have a standard education
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by sonofsteven: 1:42pm On Jun 16
PresidObi:

False.....

Haven't you seen other countries where house dey in-between road, na because the owner refused to sell
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 1:48pm On Jun 16
PresidObi:

You're right, he should have searched for the information himself.
What information are you talking about? Is it now an offence to ask a question on nairaland?
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 1:49pm On Jun 16
Melagros:

Royal family? Nairaland billionaire, weldone
Prove to me here that you are a prince and also a millionaire or else you keep quiet in peace

Still on the education, there's still noise in your communication flow, but I don't want to point it out, let me just allow you like that, since you claimed to have a standard education

LoL.
You think someone like me has the time go about showing proof of anything at all to a man who is depending on family land?

I never said I was a billionaire young man, never said I was wealthy, we all have different standards. But I am sure I am not depending on my family land like the dependent you are....

Wait there be very patient keep on waiting for evidence of other people wealth while depending on you family land....

Imagine a Nigerian youth depending on family land when his mates are buying off other peoples family lands.
No worry one of you age mate go soon come price your papa land.
Like I said be patient stay where you are and keep waiting for evidence do go and make your money
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 1:58pm On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

LoL.
You think someone like me has the time go about showing proof of anything at all to a man who is depending on family land?

I never said I was a billionaire young man, never said I was wealthy, we all have different standards. But I am sure I am not depending on my family land like the dependent you are....

Wait there be very patient keep on waiting for evidence of other people wealth while depending on you family land....

Imagine a Nigerian youth depending on family land when his mates are buying off other peoples family lands.
No worry one of you age mate go soon come price your papa land.
Like I said be patient stay where you are and keep waiting for evidence do go and make your money
So according to your assertion, if I don't invest on landed properties, I am unwise and also a dependant, right? But don't forget to show us the millions that you have
Shame on you
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by PresidObi: 2:07pm On Jun 16
sonofsteven:

False.....

Haven't you seen other countries where house dey in-between road, na because the owner refused to sell

That is, in other countries.
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 2:07pm On Jun 16
Melagros:

So according to your assertion, if I don't invest on landed properties, I am unwise and also a dependant, right? But don't forget to show us the millions that you have
Shame on you

You said it yourself that you have never bought land because your family has land na. Na you talk am.
And like I said i never said i had millions you can imagine anything you want in your empty dependent skull.

I dont consider myself a millionaire young man, a millionaire in Naira is not a millionaire, while small mind like you are in competition in Naira some of us have bigger dreams....
Like I said keep looking for evidence of another mans wealth while depending on your family land.
Them go buy that your family land, you go turn caretaker

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Melagros(m): 2:17pm On Jun 16
Exousiang01:

You said it yourself that you have never bought land because your family has land na. Na you talk am.
And like I said i never said i had millions you can imagine anything you want in your empty dependent skull.

I dont consider myself a millionaire young man, a millionaire in Naira is not a millionaire, while small mind like you are in competition in Naira some of us have bigger dreams....
Like I said keep looking for evidence of another mans wealth while depending on your family land.
Them go buy that your family land, you go turn caretaker
Let me repeat what I have earlier on, I have never bought a plot of land before because I am a landlord and some of these lands are on the leasing, then you boasted that your 16 years old will come and buy the land/ property and turn me to a caretaker. Okay, I am patiently waiting for that day to come
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Caleb15(m): 2:39pm On Jun 16
Landlord's on the loose
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by Exousiang01(m): 2:41pm On Jun 16
Melagros:

Let me repeat what I have earlier on, I have never bought a plot of land before because I am a landlord and some of these lands are on the leasing, then you boasted that your 16 years old will come and buy the land/ property and turn me to a caretaker. Okay, I am patiently waiting for that day to come

Changing goal post, keep fooling yourself, you are a land lord and you are leasing lands yet you dont know anything about land use charge you opened a thread to express your suprise that states own the lands.
Are you talk to a child?
Even my dog wont buy this story.
You are not e very smart person.
Come with another script let me take a look, this one didnt work...

Land lord and you dey open thread dey ask who get land... You dey crase ohhh. Na your papa mate you dey tell this rubbish ohh
Re: Who Owns Land In Nigeria? FG Or Citizens? by sonofsteven: 2:49pm On Jun 16
PresidObi:

That is, in other countries.

I thought if we are always copying or using SANER CLIME as an example, we should copy them to the last?

Why take only that which suits you

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zenith Bank Shares Coming Soon / In Dire Need Of Mini Flat At Anthony, Ilupeju, Maryland Vicinity / Buy 3-bedroom Detached Bungalow At Ahcon Garden,agbara For N6m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.