Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,656 members, 7,878,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:35 AM

How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason (245 Views)

Why My Employer Terminated My Content Writing Appointment / How My Content Writing Side Hustle Fetches Me Above $300 Weekly In NFT Industry / How I Got A Federal Government Job In Abuja; Female Security Guard Reveals. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason by Soteria123: 7:09pm On Jun 16
sometimes gratitude is all we need to overcome life's challenges, especially when it comes to some sort of unwarranted rejection

This is so personal to me at this moment...

but then am grateful, and more grateful that I have the opportunity to share it here.

As a content writer, all my contracts have been on a remote basis. working remotely has become part of my life, starting from the era of covid 19.

fast-forward to June 2024...

And as usual, I got an advertisement or let me say a vacancy for a content writer.

And phew...

I sent my mail, containing my CV, and all of my best-written samples.

a few days later, I got an email, and guess what? it was a letter of appointment.

And next was onboarding. I was to write their blog content, also for their social media handle and also do the same for email campaigns. the pay was quite reasonable. and I was quite excited as anyone would.

but something unexpected happened...

at this time, and the marketing manager shifted conversations from mail to WhatsApp. shSheuggested it.

But as the conversation progressed, cos he told me they're making ready a timetable, and of course, I will be working with a team of graphics designers and the media team for VSLs.

as the conversation went on...

She requested I have a meeting with them the next day. of course, I was prepared. but he requested it be in person.

and right there I was frozen

I was like, but this is a remote position, why request for in-person meeting?

she said I thought I lived in Lagos. and though it is a remote job, she might not have the luxury of always communicating job details online.

And that was the end.
I lost my job.

But I said to myself...

At this age and time, businesses should be comfortable offering full remote jobs roles like this. and this has been the norm almost everywhere and around the globe.

But again, I am grateful anyway.

What's your thought? let's hear about your experience with job recruiters.

Check my published work samples at https://www.makemoney.ng/author/paul-umukoro/
Re: How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason by TimFisher2: 11:45am On Jun 17
What I learnt from your write-up

Avoid Nigerian gigs at all costs. Foreign gigs won't treat you like this, as long you know your onions.

Secondly, don't be accessible to people, limit yourself and be professional. As soon as you guys migrated from mail to WhatsApp, WhatsApp to seeing in person, I know you have lost it.

If you had maintained the first line of communication which was email, I don't think it would have reached this level.

She must have been secretly viewing your WhatsApp status from time to time and must have seen things that might have rescinded her decision to stick to you.

Sorry for your loss. The next gig will be massive.

1 Like

Re: How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason by Mubarakmahruf(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17
I swear, this same stuff happened to me..I mean the exact stuff..

The person is a woman, and her brand name is gq drinks if am not mistaken..

I don't even remember applying for that job , buh suddenly I got an email the same way you did which contains an application letter and other stuff..I was even curious coz I don't think I apply for the job..

buh my mind keep telling me this is not a serious job, I just ignored my mind and go ahead and reply to the woman's email, suddenly, we moved in to communicating on Whatsapp, she has even plan to send me the brands content calendar..

Then suddenly, she ask whether I stay in Lagos that she wants to meet me in person, I was like, buh this is a remote job , why meeting in person, even if you want to get to know your workers, internet has made things easy, WhatsApp video call is there, there is zoom, there is even google meets to use for this..I just thought all this in my mind then I decided to keep mute and replied to her..

I said to her that I love in Lagos that am currently schooling in ilorin, and then she said If she decided to start asking questions, it will be like a waste of time or something similar..

And that how the job got cancelled...

I just laughed and thought to myself that this mind of mine is the real deal, assuming I have followed my mind in the first place by not replying to the job application, I wouldn't have waste my time on this coz I don't even remember applying for that job, I just got an email saying i got applied with an application letter.

Any way..it is what it is..we move..

Soteria123:
sometimes gratitude is all we need to overcome life's challenges, especially when it comes to some sort of unwarranted rejection

This is so personal to me at this moment...

but then am grateful, and more grateful that I have the opportunity to share it here.

As a content writer, all my contracts have been on a remote basis. working remotely has become part of my life, starting from the era of covid 19.

fast-forward to June 2024...

And as usual, I got an advertisement or let me say a vacancy for a content writer.

And phew...

I sent my mail, containing my CV, and all of my best-written samples.

a few days later, I got an email, and guess what? it was a letter of appointment.

And next was onboarding. I was to write their blog content, also for their social media handle and also do the same for email campaigns. the pay was quite reasonable. and I was quite excited as anyone would.

but something unexpected happened...

at this time, and the marketing manager shifted conversations from mail to WhatsApp. shSheuggested it.

But as the conversation progressed, cos he told me they're making ready a timetable, and of course, I will be working with a team of graphics designers and the media team for VSLs.

as the conversation went on...

She requested I have a meeting with them the next day. of course, I was prepared. but he requested it be in person.

and right there I was frozen

I was like, but this is a remote position, why request for in-person meeting?

she said I thought I lived in Lagos. and though it is a remote job, she might not have the luxury of always communicating job details online.

And that was the end.
I lost my job.

But I said to myself...

At this age and time, businesses should be comfortable offering full remote jobs roles like this. and this has been the norm almost everywhere and around the globe.

But again, I am grateful anyway.

What's your thought? let's hear about your experience with job recruiters.

Check my published work samples at https://www.makemoney.ng/author/paul-umukoro/
Re: How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason by Kul3ger(m): 11:23pm On Jun 17
TimFisher2:
What I learnt from your write-up

Avoid Nigerian gigs at all costs. Foreign gigs won't treat you like this, as long you know your onions.

We Nigerians actively seek the slightest opportunities to rubbish our country and everything Nigerian.

If you say this, it means you do not apply to writer roles from foreign hirers—especially the US. It’s common to apply to a “fully-remote” role, only to receive the heart-breaking “sorry….US-resident writers only” response.

My point— this has nothing to do with avoiding ‘Nigerian gigs’. It’s nothing related to knowing ‘onions’ too. For whatever reasons, some hirers prefer people around

TimFisher2:

Secondly, don't be accessible to people, limit yourself and be professional. As soon as you guys migrated from mail to WhatsApp, WhatsApp to seeing in person, I know you have lost it.

If you had maintained the first line of communication which was email, I don't think it would have reached this level.

Each hirer has its preferred channel(s) of communicating with teammates. It has nothing to do with the OP’s professionalism—or lack of it.

E.g, You can’t insist on maintaining email communication when the team communicates primarily via video meetings on Zoom, WhatsApp Video, and whatnot

TimFisher2:

She must have been secretly viewing your WhatsApp status from time to time and must have seen things that might have rescinded her decision to stick to you.

Lol. You don analyze the matter enter another level. Baba rest, this assumption no follow.

The interviewer/hirer’s reason was clear enough— They wanted a Lagos-based ’remote’ writer

TimFisher2:

Sorry for your loss. The next gig will be massive.
Amen. Na only these two short sentences make better sense for everything you type…. You for just type only these two rest. Lol. Na joke bros

Back to topic:

For me, these hirers should state the job description and requirements explicitly in their ads. That’ll save everyone the stress of sending samples and unnecessary screenings.

If an ads say “remote,” then you have no business with my location.

If, for whatever reason, you want to de see me once once, then ‘Hybrid’ is a word.

OP, better gigs de come jor
Re: How I Got My Content Writing Job Cancelled For Flimsy Reason by TimFisher2: 4:44pm On Jun 18
Kul3ger:

We Nigerians actively seek the slightest opportunities to rubbish our country and everything Nigerian.

If you say this, it means you do not apply to writer roles from foreign hirers—especially the US. It’s common to apply to a “fully-remote” role, only to receive the heart-breaking “sorry….US-resident writers only” response.

My point— this has nothing to do with avoiding ‘Nigerian gigs’. It’s nothing related to knowing ‘onions’ too. For whatever reason, some hirers prefer people around

Each hirer has its preferred channel(s) of communicating with teammates. It has nothing to do with the OP’s professionalism—or lack of it.

E.g, You can’t insist on maintaining email communication when the team communicates primarily via video meetings on Zoom, WhatsApp Video, and whatnot

Lol. You do analyze the matter and enter another level. Baba rest, this assumption no follow.

The interviewer/hirer’s reason was clear enough— They wanted a Lagos-based ’remote’ writer

Amen. Na only these two short sentences make better sense for everything you type…. You for just type only these two rest. Lol. Na joke bros

Back to topic:

For me, these hirers should state the job description and requirements explicitly in their ads. That’ll save everyone the stress of sending samples and unnecessary screenings.

If an ads say “remote,” then you have no business with my location.

If, for whatever reason, you want to de see me once, then ‘Hybrid’ is a word.

OP, better gigs de come jor

This man, calm down...I wanted to rush you but as soon as I saw your last post, and I mellowed down. grin

I don't know where to start replying to you...I don't even know whether you are looking for someone to waste his time or not.

First in first in...your first response...yes, I know how many people who has gotten foreign gigs here without even travelling out, and they are doing perfectly OK. And I have also given out foreigngigs to people without knowing the foreign companies.

Secondly, it seems they just gave birth to you yesterday or you have not worked with any foreign boss, or interacted with foreign expatriates apart from your local domain.

I am telling you with all sense of facts, that I have worked with both local and foreign partners. Nigeria partners are something else, if care is not taken, you might start seeing your author and finisher of your life in them..because they find every opportunity to showcase behaviours that are uncalled for.

Now back to the topic...this is the exact OP quote verbatim, quote and unquote

"She said I thought I lived in Lagos. and though it is a remote job, she might not have the luxury of always communicating job details online."

Please before we proceed, can you tell me the explicit meaning of remote, I want to know whether I am talking to a robot.

And secondly, from the woman's response, didn't her response contradict all the long epistle you wrote out there?

Modified

If OP is a foreign dude, do you think that woman will mess him up. You will even be surprise how they will engage his services immediately with a speed of light.

Give me the fu*vking shit, and allow me deliver the fu*vking job to you.

Seeing me in person doesn't matter, as long as I am giving you what you want.

Embrace technology and leave analogues for grandmother's.

(1) (Reply)

Stanbic IBTC Bank Recruitment 2024 – Apply Now / United Nations Children’s Fund Recruitment (5 Positions) / Recruitment For The Role Of Solution Developers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.