Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,064 members, 7,966,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 08:05 AM

3rd Term (Almost) Approved - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3rd Term (Almost) Approved (2892 Views)

Saraki-led APC Lawmakers Endorse David Mark For 3rd Term / Rivers State Populace Say No To 3rd Term / Ait License Revoked Because Of Live Transmission Of Senate 3rd Term Debate?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Chxta(m): 7:34am On Mar 10, 2006
So it has finally happened! They have shown the hidden hand. Senator Ibrahim Mantu et al have decided that our 'elected' representatives at the executive level should all get a third term. Isn't it just wonderful? Our beloved president and governors will get a third term, then towards the end of the 2007-2011 term, some judge would come out and say something along the lines of well, the new 'improvement' to the constitution was implemented in 2006, so the 1999 constitution doesn't hold since we are operating under the 2007 constitution and as such the president and governors have just served out their first terms under the 2007 constitution and as a result are free to contest for 2 more terms. We shall be seeing Lucky Igbinedion's face on our screens for another 12 years! Isn't Nigeria such an interesting place?

There is an old Chinese curse which says 'may you live in interesting times'. These are such times, and it makes me sad. You see, for my own selfish reasons, I'd rather live in boring times. As any student of history will tell you, the interesting parts of history are periods of chaos and conflict. We are living in such times in our beloved Nigeria,

On an even gloomier note, it is extremely depressing to see that our elected representatives who swore to uphold and defend the constitution are the ones at the forefront of supressing the law! For those of you who may not know, the text of a lawmaker's oath in Nigeria goes thus:
[I]
I, do solemnly swear/affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that as a Member of the Senate/House of Representatives/ , House of Assembly, I will perform my functions honestly to the best of my ability, faithfully and in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the law, and the rules of the Senate/House of Representatives/ , House of Assembly and always in the interest of the sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well-being and prosperity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will strive to preserve the Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy contained in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; and that I will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; and that I will abide by the Code of Conduct contained in the Fifth Schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

So help me God. [/I]
So what the hell is the matter with these people? Why make a promise that you can't keep?

Why shoud they delibrately disobey a court order? From a Ferderal High Court for that matter?
It is nice to note that the NBA is insisting on fighting this thing, but I have my doubts as to what the outcome will be. By the time a few gmg bags get distributed, I bet we will be hearing a different tune. The sad truth remains that Nigeria [B]cannot, and will not[/B] move forward as long as there is no respect for the rule of law!

More later as this unfolds.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Mariory(m): 1:43pm On Mar 10, 2006
I think mass civil action across the country is required. If it was done, it can also be undone. Just hope this doesn't turn violent.

By the way new dimension added.

Judge denies halting constitution review
JUSTICE Olasumbo Goodluck of an Abuja High Court yesterday denied ordering the National Assembly to halt its ongoing review of the 1999 Constitution,

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article02
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by africanboy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 10, 2006
Chxta:

[I]
So help me God. [/I]

God knows we need His help! Truly, so help us God, because is it just me or do I see someone working towards a life presidency?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by ababoy1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 10, 2006
Wow - What a surprise !!!

shocked
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by eliztoy(f): 3:43pm On Mar 10, 2006
Uncle sege is no longer president,He's now king Obasanjo,Hail the king!
i wasn't surprise anyway,abi no be this naija we dey?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by goodguy(m): 3:59pm On Mar 10, 2006
This is good news. grin
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by abuguy64(m): 4:22pm On Mar 10, 2006
A national disaster, and a coffin in the nail of democrazy ala Africa! shocked embarassed
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by toshmann(m): 4:36pm On Mar 10, 2006
MAY HER GENTLE SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.

AMEN!!!! cry sad sad cry
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 10, 2006
Fellow Nigerians,

I, Life President Olujibiti Obasanjo, the Messiah of Nigeria and the Oba of Aso Rock villa wish to commend the "resilience" and maturity shown by "all Nigerians" in giving me an indefinite tenure in office. I also wish to acknowledge the "integrity" and "patriotism" shown by Alhaji Ibrahim 'AGIP' Mantu, Alhaji Bukar 'Chop-i-chop' Ibrahim of Yobe state, Chief(Dr.) Olabode 'wuruwuru' George  and all other "lovers of our nascent babacracy".
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by iorliam: 5:10pm On Mar 10, 2006
nigeria has come to an end,exerpt fif the law makers are just mocking OBJ shocked
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Farriel(m): 5:14pm On Mar 10, 2006
@Davidylan, cheesy. That was funny.

It's difficult to believe that it's finally happened. This has drawn the country into a dark hole it would never emerge from. Mass reactions wouldn't change anything, like someone's saying. A civil war would. And it's time we had one.

<<moderator says: go and fight your civil war in one corner and leave the rest of us alone>>
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by wiseguy(m): 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2006
OH LORD OF ALL THE WORLDS, We Nigerians have sinned and deserve what is coming to us. But LORD, please show your mercy and do not let your anger dwell on us too much. Please forgive us our sins and let this cup (3rd term) pass over us. AMEN!
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by alheri(f): 5:42pm On Mar 10, 2006
Why am I not suprised?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Chxta(m): 6:12pm On Mar 10, 2006
To pass any constitutional amendment, to change the name of the constitution, to fulfill the objective Mantu and co. are pushing for, you need two thirds of the 109-member Senate. That is, we, the people, the anti third-termers only need the backing of 36 Senators if they want to end this coming nightmare,

Friends, if we want a vibrant democracy that's built on ideas and not personalities, if we want to prevent our country from being captured by a future tyrants that will kill our democracy, if we want to say that Nigeria can never be fixed in four years, eight years, 12 years but change will last for as long as Nigeria exists, if we want to say that Obasanjo's reforms can be continued under a team of younger Nigerians that haven't been around since independence -- then we need 36 Senators to vote "no" for the third term.

Friends, if we want Nigeria to say to Africa: "Don't only do only what we say but do what we do," and if we want to say the following to Baba: "Thank you very much, you've tried your best, you've done some great things, but now you can rest"--then we need 36 Senators to vote "no" when the real battle gets to the National Assembly.

36 Senators. 36 "Profiles in Courage for our time."

This campaign isn't about North, South, South South or South West. This campaign isn't about Christianity, Sharia, power shift or "recource control." Our campaign is about building a new Nigeria that is in touch with the world. A Nigeria that's home to a multitude of ideas that will together make us great. Not a teleguided Nigeria under the direction of a patriarch.

We're sick and tired of this unease. We're sick and tired of the hairbrained argument that only one man can steer our ship. We're not tiny Singapore in search of a Nanny. We're like India: multicultural, multi-religious, democratic, crazy, and eminently cabapble of capturing the attention of the world with our ingenuity. We're a big time player--at least the seed is there to make us one. We don't need Nasiru Mantu, Tony Anenih, and Jerry Gana to tell us that.

Friends, we want a Nigeira that's run by rules. Not an improvised Nigeria charachterized by shifting the goal posts. We want a serious country that cares about public opinion, and not the opinions of courtiers serving any government in power.

36 Senators.

If you're a senator and you have a conscience, if your a senator afraid to be seen taking a sign, do not fear. You can join your colleagues that said "no" in Rivers a few days ago: Udoma Udo Udoma; Bello Maitama; Farouk Bello-Bunza; Abdulaziz A. Ibrahim; Chukwumerije; Mamora; Dahiru Umar; Ahmed Ibrahim; Usman K. Umar; Baba Tella; Bode
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by bolaoni(m): 6:15pm On Mar 10, 2006
Naija my naija!

God will surely help us.

We all shldn't be surprised @ all, we all saw the handwriting on the wall!

Let's wait and see what happens afterwards!

cry cry cry (For nigeria)
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Larufa(m): 6:57pm On Mar 10, 2006
In Nigeria, you can rig elections and proclaim it to the president without fear of official sanction; you can hire assassins and commit murder; you can abduct innocent workers and receive money from the government in order to free your hostages; you can embezzle tax payers' money; you can appropriate or confiscate government property; you can engage in illegal oil bunkering; you can buy your admission into a high profile university and you can also buy your graduation from the same university. These are just some of the attributes of a country where the policy of "might is right" is respected by everyone.

To our rigged in Senators and Reps, let tell them:
If performance were to be the sole basis for determining the tenure of any president or prime minister, there would be no elections in some countries. Life presidency especially outside of Africa would be the norm.

To our Elders (not leaders oooo):
How do we explain to our leaders of tomorrow that many of "the big men" they see on television are no better than armed robbers?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by miky(m): 7:03pm On Mar 10, 2006
can we all sharap what bad has obasanjo done and who now can replace him. yes they are not perfect and nigeria is defenitely not the kind of country to change overnight. we do not need at this time an ameuteur who knows few to come to power we have issues niger delta. and we have possitive results, half of obasanjo work is done gdp has increased. i dont like any of them but there is no one i can think of who is more experienced and capable.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2006
I guess it's a good idea,
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Mariory(m): 7:38pm On Mar 10, 2006
Just to say that the JCRC's recommendation still has to be passed by the national Assembly. There may still be hope that the ammended term for officials will be rejected.

Does anyone know what the JCRC recommended on the immunuity clause?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by TESS75(f): 7:54pm On Mar 10, 2006
It is with great sadness that this is happening. Uncle sege needs to know that it is corruption in it self for him remain there a third term so how does he plan on fighting corruption. He is setting the EFCC on those who are not supporting him so everyone is supporting him to keep their stolen millions. I hope that those in power can step up to the task of being patrons of democracy and fighting his third term plot. We do not know who will be president next but at least lets do one thing right, that is have a democratically elected government.
If anyone knows how we can help to stop this plot let us know.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by medube(m): 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2006
The funniest of all things, is that Uncle Sege, Baba, or whatever name he is called has not said anything yet so I wonder why everyone is going upside down smiley
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by luridguy(m): 9:54pm On Mar 10, 2006
obj will not say anything it is when it is time for elections that he will now come out and say he wants to go for a 3rd term .then what will anyone be able to do. i just hope someone like Ibb does become president again lipsrsealed

God help us
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Wadosky(m): 10:03pm On Mar 10, 2006
Heads will roll
get ready for, ?
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Mariory(m): 11:26pm On Mar 10, 2006
luridguy:

i just hope someone like Ibb does become president again lipsrsealed

God help us

The one that made 419 and the name Nigeria go hand in hand. God forbid!
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Dauda(m): 11:50pm On Mar 10, 2006
This is a sad development. It is even more depressing to see this happening to Nigeria at this point in our history. Whereas, all the nations of the world are moving in the direction of upholding the rule of law and establishing enduring institutions that will guarantee a future for the coming generation, Nigeria, with OBJ at the helms of affairs in conjunction with his kleptomaniac cohorts, is leading in the exact opposite of where the civilized world is going. Rather create an atmosphere that will preserve the values of democracy, they are busy working on institutionalizing kleptocracy. Obasanjo and his gang of sycophants have murdered sleep. They will not sleep, walahi.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by toshmann(m): 12:42am On Mar 11, 2006
palestine with all their violence held an election and produced a govt in the midst of violence.
nigeria produced violence in the midst of election.
now we have governmental constitution.any govt in nigeria will amend the constitution.

i don't think i'll want to live in a lawless country if i had my way.
now my friends back home will agree with me that palestine is more organised than nigeria.

instead of emulating countries like turkey which are trying to be like the west,we are emulating uganda. funny isn't it?even ghana has eluded us.very soon it will be extremely hard to get a visa to ghana.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by mochafella(m): 12:47am On Mar 11, 2006
More info here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4792566.stm

There really was no doubt those A-holes in Abuja would approve, after gmg don enter house. What ever happened to the recall process? Isn't it possible for citizens to petition and recall their so-called reps in a referendum?

Lord, now I'm just grasping at straws, this really gets me down.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Ebano(m): 3:02am On Mar 11, 2006
CHEEEEI !!!!!!! na waoooooo!!!!! wonders they say will never end!! I sorry 4 poor and suffering nigerian people, now their suffering continues! 3rd term for what?? So that those thieves and sycophants will continue to steal and loot govt money? Well nigerians can now see that obj, uncle sege, baba, wants to die there on the seat of power, and take all the stolen money to hell to spend it there with the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!! This is a brutal rape on democracy!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Ynot(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2006
I don't really see the need for all this cry-cry. OBJ is yet to officially accept the offer. Can't we give him the benefit of the doubt? I think he's intelligent enough to understand where this will lead ~ unless he's suffering from historical amnesia.  A lot of crooks wants to get into the seat of power, most of these crooks are either currently part of this administration or just standing-by to grab power. OBJ knew this and them and may probably(?) be the reason for his mum stance so as to discourage the hooligans from thinking there will be vacancy at aso rock come 2007.  He is an old man and i bet he's got someone on the line ready, to start campaigning for the  upcoming presidential election.

BTW, i'm not Yoruba and i definitely don't care much about OBJ. This is just my opinion.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by shockreaction(m): 9:27am On Mar 11, 2006
You guys are surprised?

Lol! Hahahahahahaha, hehehehe!

That's all I have to say.
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by Mariory(m): 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2006
Governors in trouble •Mantu Committee drops immunity clause

Trouble may be in the offing for governors of the 36 states as the Joint Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution headed by Deputy Senate President, Alhaji Ibrahim Mantu, recommended that the contentious immunity clause be expunged.

http://www.punchng.com/main/article02
Re: 3rd Term (Almost) Approved by abuguy64(m): 1:33am On Mar 12, 2006
Miky: Wether or not,there is a good replacement for OBJ is not the issue here!It is the rape and murder of democrazy. The constitution of the Federal Republic has been changed solely to acccomodate all those currently in office,who aspire to a 3rd term(not only OBJ). TELL ME,IS THAT RIGHT?! The US has been operating 2 terms for so long, Has anyone changed the constitution so a "great" president can rule a third term?! WE ARE IN TROUBLE!God help Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Suspends $8b Rail Contract With Chinese Firm / Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year / Dangote,Adenuga,Otedola,18 Others Make Forbes List.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.