Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,308 members, 7,940,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 08:19 PM

Village Visit. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Village Visit. (1360 Views)

See Where He Lives In Port Harcourt, Nyesom Wike's Village (pics) / Unmanned Drone Crashes In Borno Village / How Often Do You Visit Your Village? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Village Visit. by Bhola(f): 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2007
I am going to see my grand ma in the village. I think the last time I visited, was in 1995ish. I know there was no electricity or pipe borne water and stuff like that there. I am really not bothered about all that. I just want to go somewhere, with no phone, no internet, no tv. Nothing to disturb me. Just plain clean fun.

Now I know, after a couple of hours, I’ll probably be bored. So I come to you nice nairalanders, what do you think I can do to have fun? What kind of questions can I ask my grand ma and keep us entertained? If I have my way, I’ll go with a male friend, but I don’t want my granny thinking he is the one I go marry. I no wan put any man for chop block o jare.

Anyways, whatever happens, I plan on having so much fun, even if it’s just sleeping and waking up doing nothing.
Re: Village Visit. by uspry1(f): 7:19pm On Sep 24, 2007
How long will you plan to have village visit?

If you plan taking two weeks vacation and nothing to do if your grandma is not busy to do, I suggest you to teach your grandma playing games at below:

--Uno card, Rummy, or Solitary (spelled)

--Checker, Backgammon, or Chess

--any portable easy or travel games you can find at any toy stores

Or bring book something most elders people love to listen when you read aloud the book.

Or share your Christianity testimonials most elders love to hear (if you are Christian woman).

For questions you like to ask your grandma, why don't you create your own family tree in Nigeria at below: (be creative your own scrapbook with lot of pictures of yourself and grandma including her families)

1. Do you have brothers and sisters? If so, name them.

2. Do you live here all your life in village?

3. Ask her if there is needed to improve her house need such as solar electricity? solar water? roof leak replacement?(Only if you do really care about your grandma as your donor/supporter---you will find it cheaper small-scale solar/wind generator replacing oil generator installed her house if she has lot of male relatives (brother, uncle, cousin) helping her to take in charge of every 3 months battery backup replacement on inverters) You will research about small-scale renewable energy yourself via google---there are lot of solar projects in Nigeria for electricity/water solutions. (Just one solar lighting, one solar air conditioning, one solar heated water---even water pump that match your affordable and reasonable price!!!)

4. Ask her sharing her experience testimony, could be school, farming, history, or family.

5. Ask her sharing any good old day storyteller.

6. Ask her about her faithfullness and believe in God. (how can she survive so strong and faithfully?)

I think that is it! If you take pictures, be sure taking double exposures one for you and one for grandma once u back to the USA to create your own two scrapbooks, Send one scrapbook to your grandma via Nippost (spelled) or DHL/FedEx. I am sure she will appreciate you keeping her scrapbook as her treasure.
Re: Village Visit. by afrodixie: 8:09pm On Sep 24, 2007
@ Topic

Prepare for a whole load of boredom---if you plan to spend your whole visit with your grandma.  Grandmas are fun, but just for one day! Usually all the stories she has to tell you will end on the first night of your visit.  Then she will tell you of all the problems the other villagers have and how you can help solve them with all the money you brought from the "abroad"! tongue

Next if you have kids---please, do not take them with you especially if they are under 10.
  You are in for the most miserable time of your life when they keep asking you every minute----------"when are we going to get to "the "Nigeria" or " all you do here is barbecue your food with naked flames---don't you guys ever use ranges----oh gosh, all the smoke is getting in my eyes?" grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Prepare to sleep in the day time and stay up at night.  The type of noises you hear at night are not conducive  for any notion of a goodnight's sleep.  These include cocks crowing as early as 1AM, people fetching water with cast iron buckets banging away at the full moon on concrete pavements, early in the morniings with various issues to discuss, town criers, religious fanatics praying and chanting at odd hours, raindrops on the roof tops that sound like you are in Iraq's warzone and just plain good old mosquitoes serenading your arse!---you definitely have to practice sleeping in the nude! grin

Get used to not washing your hands or brushing twice a day.  Most people in the villages are known for wandering around all day and all night without washing their hands at least once a day--even after wiping their butts--look at their fingernails---after all that nose picking and butt digging!!! Phoooey! angry When you fall sick--please do not blame witches that are minding their business! Say your last prayer at any sign of a fever--no hospitals within 60 mile radius of any village to handle your "delicate" constitution after escaping Nigeria for at least 5 years!

Just a few things to look forward to---I am sure you can think of some others!  Enjoy! kiss

Just make sure you limit that visit to less than one week or you go hearrrrrrrrrrrrrrram!!!! grin
Re: Village Visit. by adaolusam2: 8:13pm On Sep 24, 2007
Most Nigerians want to travel to US but it seems that the US embassy is not ready to help Nigerians to get booked for appointment by not opening the interview booking dates but now we can help you get booked without stress and it is 100% guaranteed,
For more information pls call 08060259939 or e-mail at adaolusam247@yahoo.com.
Re: Village Visit. by afrodixie: 8:20pm On Sep 24, 2007
adaolusam2:

Most Nigerians want to travel to US but it seems that the US embassy is not ready to help Nigerians to get booked for appointment by not opening the interview booking dates but now we can help you get booked without stress and it is 100% guaranteed,
For more information please call 08060259939 or e-mail at adaolusam247@yahoo.com.

Sorry to bother you oh! But are you in the right thread? undecided
Re: Village Visit. by Bhola(f): 10:30pm On Sep 24, 2007
I knew I could count on my fellow Nairaland users.

Thanks so much, uspry1 and afrodixie.

Answers to some of the questions:

No, I do not have kids.

I am planning on spending three to four days max.

I don't know if my granny can read, so I am not sure we can play any game. We could try twister.

I am sure going with a camcorder and enough disposable cameras and my digital camera as well. Plan to take as many pictures as possible.

Thanks for the idea on scrapbook. I'll definitely do that and send one back to her.

Just leaving cell phones, tv and internet and all the "wahala" associated with everyday life behind, is more than enough to make me happy.

Thanks once again. I really do appreciate your inputs.
Re: Village Visit. by uspry1(f): 11:35pm On Sep 24, 2007
Bhola:

I don't know if my granny can read, so I am not sure we can play any game. We could try twister.

I would not use Twister for grandma unless if she is firm body to play this game.  I mean YOU read aloud the book to grandma---NOT GRANDMA READ THE BOOK. Bec of numerous of Nigerians illiterate.

Playing games are easy bec my mother who is 61 years old, she loves playing games I mentioned above.
Re: Village Visit. by penfold(m): 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2007
@Bhola
which set were you at wescos, wuz @wescos too, do u remember femi ojudun & co?
Re: Village Visit. by IYaeto(f): 5:04pm On Oct 18, 2007
ere ayo and ludo
Re: Village Visit. by Bhola(f): 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2007
@penfold, I was there from 1993 to 1995. I left in SS2. I really do not remember people. The name Femi Ojudun does not ring a bell.

Take care.
Re: Village Visit. by iseyi(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2007
@Bhola
THAT WAS MY SET!!
Jide Ogunrinde wuz d headboy,
Folusho Olaniyi wuz d head girl,
I wuz in A class, that is 1st d class upstairs
Are u still in touch with any of d old school guys?
Re: Village Visit. by folahann(m): 1:21am On Oct 25, 2007
Ask your grand mama to teach you hw to prepare some local dishes and tell you some stories
Re: Village Visit. by Bhola(f): 12:11am On Oct 26, 2007
Iseyi, I don't even remember who the head girl or head boy was, because I left in SS2.

I know a handful of ex-student. Mostly people in my class. Was thinking of a class reunion or something like that, when I visit Nigeria. What do you think?

Do take care. If you use yahoo IM, my id is beesee12.

@folahann, I will ask my grandma about the dishes. I might not be able to get ingredients to make them where I reside presently, but it will be good to learn. Thanks for your contribution. How is life in Ghana? Thinking of moving there myself. Where do you reside in Ghana? If you don't mind, answering all those questions that is. We can also chat on yahoo. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Russian Skin Heads / Amazon To Nigeria / 5 Abuja Hotels You Must Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.