Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,831 members, 7,915,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:17 PM

The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 (379 Views)

Letter From Tai Solarin About Hardship In 1983 / Photo Of Buhari In 1983 And 2019: Spot The Difference / Ben Bruce Shades Buhari For Overthrowing Shagari's Administration In 1983 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by EmmyMaestro(m): 1:10am On Jun 18
In 1983, an important event happened in West Africa called “Ghana Must Go.” This event was about the mass expulsion of immigrants from Nigeria, especially Ghanaians. In the 1970s, Nigeria had a strong economy because of its booming oil industry. This attracted many people from neighboring countries, including Ghana, who came looking for better jobs and lives.

However, by the early 1980s, Nigeria’s economy started to struggle because oil prices dropped. This led to high unemployment and social problems. Nigerians began to feel frustrated and blamed the immigrants for taking their jobs. In response, the Nigerian government, led by President Shehu Shagari, decided to expel all undocumented immigrants. They gave them just two weeks to leave the country. This sudden decision affected up to two million people, most of whom were Ghanaians.

The term “Ghana Must Go” became famous during this time. It refers to the many Ghanaians who were forced to leave Nigeria quickly. They often carried their belongings in big, checkered plastic bags. These bags became a symbol of this difficult period and are still known today as “Ghana Must Go” bags.

The expulsion had significant effects on both Nigeria and Ghana. In Ghana, the return of so many people made life harder. Ghana was already facing economic problems and political instability, so the sudden influx of returnees added more pressure. Many people struggled to find jobs and homes.

In Nigeria, the expulsion created tension between Nigerians and Ghanaians. It damaged the relationship between the two countries for many years. The event showed how difficult it can be to handle migration and economic challenges in a fair way. It also highlighted the need for better policies to manage such situations without causing harm to people.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by budaatum: 2:00am On Jun 18
The event ruined the Nigerian education system that at the time relied on science and maths teachers from Ghana.

Upon their expulsion many of us lost some very good teachers. It hurt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by gabbytabby: 2:04am On Jun 18
You no start the story from beginning because na Benin Republic and Ghana first expel Nigérians so na tit for tat as we no dey gree.

1 Like

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by alphaNomega: 2:11am On Jun 18
Ghana-must-go was a blame-game tactics used by politicians to avoid accountability.

politicians will fan the flames of blame to innocent groups as the cause of their poor decision making. Tell me, after the Ghanaians left, did Nigeria get any better?

the same tactic is still used today, and now the crazy politicians have turned the blame inwards. Blaming one tribe or religious group for their failed policies. History repeats itself and Nigerians never learn.

2 Likes

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Konquest: 3:16am On Jun 18
EmmyMaestro:
In 1983, an important event happened in West Africa called “Ghana Must Go.” This event was about the mass expulsion of immigrants from Nigeria, especially Ghanaians. In the 1970s, Nigeria had a strong economy because of its booming oil industry. This attracted many people from neighboring countries, including Ghana, who came looking for better jobs and lives.

However, by the early 1980s, Nigeria’s economy started to struggle because oil prices dropped. This led to high unemployment and social problems. Nigerians began to feel frustrated and blamed the immigrants for taking their jobs. In response, the Nigerian government, led by President Shehu Shagari, decided to expel all undocumented immigrants. They gave them just two weeks to leave the country. This sudden decision affected up to two million people, most of whom were Ghanaians.

The term “Ghana Must Go” became famous during this time. It refers to the many Ghanaians who were forced to leave Nigeria quickly. They often carried their belongings in big, checkered plastic bags. These bags became a symbol of this difficult period and are still known today as “Ghana Must Go” bags.

The expulsion had significant effects on both Nigeria and Ghana. In Ghana, the return of so many people made life harder. Ghana was already facing economic problems and political instability, so the sudden influx of returnees added more pressure. Many people struggled to find jobs and homes.

In Nigeria, the expulsion created tension between Nigerians and Ghanaians. It damaged the relationship between the two countries for many years. The event showed how difficult it can be to handle migration and economic challenges in a fair way. It also highlighted the need for better policies to manage such situations without causing harm to people.
Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Konquest: 3:24am On Jun 18
budaatum:
The event ruined the Nigerian education system that at the time relied on science and maths teachers from Ghana.

All of the Ghanaian teachers that taught me were NOT affected by the 1983 expulsions. It's majorly those who came into Nigeria without proper work permits that got expelled. All the other expats from the UK, USA, Jamaica, India, Bangladesh, and several countries who came work and to become teachers and lecturers in Nigeria were NO affected.
Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Blue3k(m): 3:24am On Jun 18
EmmyMaestro:
In response, the Nigerian government, led by President Shehu Shagari, decided to expel all undocumented immigrants. They gave them just two weeks to leave the country.
EmmyMaestro:
The event showed how difficult it can be to handle migration and economic challenges in a fair way.

What's wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? What's unfair about deporting them promptly? What's the proper amount of time to deport illegal aliens? Someone need to explain how it should be handled. I do wonder if some of you guys don't believe in borders or immigration laws..
Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Konquest: 3:36am On Jun 18
alphaNomega:
Ghana-must-go was a blame-game tactics used by politicians to avoid accountability.

politicians will fan the flames of blame to innocent groups as the cause of their poor decision making. Tell me, after the Ghanaians left, did Nigeria get any better?

the same tactic is still used today, and now the crazy politicians have turned the blame inwards. Blaming one tribe or religious group for their failed policies. History repeats itself and Nigerians never learn.
The expulsions were NOT a blame game tactics. For those of us who were alive as of 1983, we know full well that there were many Ghanaians who had flooded into Nigeria illegally with any papers of residence. This was a big security risk and they had to be expelled and the economy was incidentally slumping due to the global recession of the early 1980s caused by the increase in the interest rate of the United States.

As I earlier stated, I had 3 Ghanaian teachers who were NOT affected by the 1983 GMG because they had legitimate stay in Nigeria.
Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by budaatum: 3:42am On Jun 18
Konquest:

All of the Ghanaian teachers that taught me were NOT affected by the 1983 expulsions. It's majorly those who came into Nigeria without proper work permits that got expelled. All the other expats from the UK, USA, Jamaica, India, Bangladesh, and several countries who came work and to become teachers and lecturers in Nigeria were NO affected.

Ghanaians began leaving from when Shagari came to power in 1979, and I began losing teachers from then on. What worsened it was free education was introduced in the old Western Region area at the same time, and without proper preparation, the few teachers left had to be shared with newer schools which further exacerbated the teacher shortage.

Nigeria is big, so not everyone must have necessarily had the same experience or at the same time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Konquest: 3:52am On Jun 18
budaatum:

Ghanaians began leaving from when Shagari came to power in 1979, and I began losing teachers from then on. What worsened it was free education was introduced in the old Western Region area at the same time, and without proper preparation, the few teachers left had to be shared with newer schools which further exacerbated the teacher shortage.

Nigeria is big, so not everyone must have necessarily had the same experience or at the same time.
@Budaatum,

Indeed, you succinctly stated the FACTS here. It was fun though having a very cosmopolitan experience as that gave me my best and unbiased understanding of who Ghanaians are. I'm still in touch with my Ghanaian school buddy back in Nigeria (whose mum taught us) from the Ga ethnic group as of today. He was indeed very brilliant and is based in New York and works with an investment firm on Wall Street.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by EmmyMaestro(m): 10:54am On Jun 18
Blue3k:

What's wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? What's unfair about deporting them promptly? What's the proper amount of time to deport illegal aliens? Someone need to explain how it should be handled. I do wonder if some of you guys don't believe in borders or immigration laws..

Oga no be me write am oooo
Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by Vinnie2000(m): 11:18am On Jun 18
budaatum:

Wow!.

I was told in the 1980's, there were a lot of Foreigners as Teachers in Nigeria. Even Indians as Teachers in secondary Schools. smiley

But they Left. sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Untold History Of Ghana Must Go In 1983 by budaatum: 3:57pm On Jun 18
Vinnie2000:

Wow!.

I was told in the 1980's, there were a lot of Foreigners as Teachers in Nigeria. Even Indians as Teachers in secondary Schools. smiley

But they Left. sad

Now, in the 2020s, the teachers in Nigeria are mostly Youth Corpers who paid someone else to pass their exam for them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Wike Wins Award In Public Service (photos) / EDHA Appeals Judgement Upturning Impeachment, Files For Stay Of Execution / Igbo Man In Lagos Threatens To Join Boko Haram If.. (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.