Stats: 3,173,613 members, 7,888,960 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:19 PM

NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion (10190 Views)

How Do I Stop Background Apps In Tecno Camon 18i? / 50-50 Depletion Rule Now Applicable On MTN4ME / Please Help, Malwares Are Destroying My Phone (2) (3) (4)

NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by HonNL: 7:34pm On Jun 18
NCC says telcos not to blame for data depletion, blames malwares, background apps, GPS, others

The Consumer Affairs Bureau of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has identified seven factors causing data depletion for mobile subscribers in Nigeria.

This comes amidst an increase in complaints from subscribers about how their data subscriptions are getting drained quickly.

While many subscribers have been blaming the service providers for stealing their data, information released by the Commission suggests otherwise.

Specifically, mobile network operators comprising MTN, Airtel, Globacom, and 9mobile have been at the centre of consumer complaints about data depletion.

According to the Commission, there are several factors causing data depletion for most subscribers and these include:

Background apps: NCC observed that some apps continue to consume data even when the users are not actively using them. “Background data usage can quickly add up and deplete your data allowance,” the Commission said.

Automatic updates: The Commission added that automatic updates for apps, operating systems, and other software can also use up a significant amount of data.
Location services: GPS and other location services can consume a lot of data, according to NCC, especially if you use navigation apps like Google Maps.

Advertisements: Some apps display ads that use data. “These ads can consume data even if you don’t interact with them,” the Commission stated.

Roaming: The telecom regulator also identified roaming as one of the factures that could lead to data depletion. “If you travel abroad and use your phone, you may be subject to data roaming charges, which can quickly add up and deplete your data allowance.”

Malware: The Commission added that malware and viruses can consume data without your knowledge. “If you suspect that your phone has been infected, it’s important to remove the malware as soon as possible.”

SOURCE

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:38pm On Jun 18
Thank you
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by oz4real83(m): 7:39pm On Jun 18
They will always push the blame to consumers after getting their usual kolas angry. Same way power companies blame collapse of national grid on Nigerians, even when all their equipments are archaic embarassed. How about the issue of data expiry even when you didn't use it? Why should data expire? Don't I have the right to use my data till it finishes? Must you force me to use it up or lose it at the end of every month This is criminality in conjunction with regulatory authorities embarassed

38 Likes

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Onyeka90210(m): 7:43pm On Jun 18
Them think say we mumu

22 Likes

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by qrymz(m): 7:49pm On Jun 18
I use 3gb data on mtn or airtel in less than1hr of surfing on my phone but spectranet and these fibre networks will do the same for me for much more longer. So the malware only know mobile network providers abi?

Werey people!

Make una no do the right this by calling these greedy bastards to order.

16 Likes

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by udemzyudex(m): 8:29pm On Jun 18
This ones dey talk like say dem just introduce us to the internet yesterday.

25 Likes

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by 99thEnemy(m): 8:29pm On Jun 18
Very true

If you think the Telco Network you are using is exaggerating your data usage, monitor your data usage by the metric statistics provided by your own device and you will see the difference is always negligible if at all there is.

In fact, I reset Mobile data statistics on my phone everytime before I get new data after the previous has expired.

If I check usage statistics, it shows usage for every App and service and it always tallies with the amount which was purchased.

Nigerians sometimes scream fire when there is none.

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by lwisee: 8:29pm On Jun 18
NCC will acting and talking like they are dealing with fools.
MTN 1G =850MB
AIRTEL 1G = 800MB
GLO 1G=1G but you will never use the whole 1G before it expires all thanks to their slow and unstable network.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by madridguy(m): 8:30pm On Jun 18
Is this a joke or what grin After you comot VAT, bank charges, witch and wizard charges wetin go remain again. grin

40 Likes

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by bestman09(m): 8:30pm On Jun 18
I don't know what to say but the truth is that since last week, my data gets finished quickly and I checked this evening only to see an app that I have never used before (palm store) consuming 2.89 GB in 3 days. I have to quickly stop it by force since I can't uninstall it. App that I don't use at all

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by omoredia: 8:31pm On Jun 18
Hehe una go soon blame tinubu failure on mobile apps. Idiots
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by jmoore(m): 8:31pm On Jun 18
Only novice will blame telecom operators for rate of data consumption.

Smartphones are designed to drink data.

Use those old java phones and 1gb will last for 6 months.

I use windows 10 and that thing can consume 1gb within 30 mins without me doing nothing.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Negroid001(m): 8:32pm On Jun 18
Especially Mtn. Them dey drink the thing like gin.

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by phemmie06(m): 8:33pm On Jun 18
So we should stop updating apps?
Is it today that we have apps running underground?
NCC, please Tell us another story

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Gisterrr: 8:33pm On Jun 18
Jh
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by KHAYGOLD(m): 8:33pm On Jun 18
Don't even know what these guys take us for

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by 99thEnemy(m): 8:34pm On Jun 18
lwisee:
MTN 1G =850MB
AIRTEL 1G = 800MB
GLO 1G=1G but you will never use the whole 1G before it expires all thanks to their slow and unstable network.

You lie about Airtel.
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:35pm On Jun 18
Some apps continue to consume data even when the users are not actively using them.
Background data usage can quickly add up and deplete your data allowance.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by AfeezShomorin(m): 8:36pm On Jun 18
MTN is most guilty of this

Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by FireUpNow(m): 8:38pm On Jun 18
See mumu lie! Na today?
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Bubu4Sea: 8:39pm On Jun 18
God of blame.
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by RepoMan007: 8:41pm On Jun 18
Idiotic
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by KaptainAfrika: 8:42pm On Jun 18
Its a big lie.
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by RenaissanceGuy: 8:56pm On Jun 18
Very true. Especially the Google App.
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Saint99: 8:58pm On Jun 18
lwisee:
MTN 1G =850MB
AIRTEL 1G = 800MB

You could not have said it better. I observed the same.
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by faithfull18(f): 9:00pm On Jun 18
Simple, we are plug for affordable data plans😉
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by Judolisco(m): 9:04pm On Jun 18
At least una dey explain... Glo dey take straw draw my data like kunu
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by chigo245: 9:07pm On Jun 18
How did you stopped it please,
bestman09:
I don't know what to say but the truth is that since last week, my data gets finished quickly and I checked this evening only to see an app that I have never used before (palm store) consuming 2.89 GB in 3 days. I have to quickly stop it by force since I can't uninstall it. App that I use at all
Re: NCC Blames Malwares, Background Apps For Data Depletion by francisisking: 9:09pm On Jun 18
Money has changed hands

Itel it1516Plus Official Discussion Thread (leaked Pictures) / 5 Things That Could Had Made The Phantom 6 Better. / Nokia N70 Offline Mode Help