Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,418 members, 7,901,172 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 04:10 AM

Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana (23426 Views)

Wike: I Have Fulfilled My Promises To Judiciary / COVID-19 APP: Yahaya Bello, An Embarrassment To Nigerian Youths – Ubani / Peter Esele: Oshiomhole's Utterances, Huge Embarrassment To Nigeria, APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by phemmyjohnson: 4:45pm On Jun 21
Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana has described the recent judicial orders in Kano State as an embarrassment to the judiciary.

Falana stated this in an interview with Arise Television on Thursday.

He said there is the need for higher courts to address the political and judicial confusion in both Kano and Rivers states.

He said, “Sanusi was not said to have disobeyed any order, so if the order affected him, he ought to have been put on notice.”

Falana described the court’s stance as confusing with regard to the broader issue of the Supreme Court’s judgments on the limitations of federal high court powers over traditional institutions.

“To be a Chief is not a fundamental right; it is a privilege,” he added.

Falana said the state high court’s order in favour of Sanusi created further confusion.

“The practice in the past was to allow the court of appeal to clear the confusion, and in this case, an appeal has been filed,” he said.

Falana faulted the federal high court’s involvement in matters of traditional institutions, stressing that only state governments have legislative power over such issues.

The constitution has made it clear that the National Assembly can only enact laws on matters in the exclusive legislative list; traditional institutions are residual,” he stated.

Speaking on the ongoing legal battle over the extension of local government officials’ tenures in Rivers, Falana referenced Section 7 of the constitution, which mandates democratically elected local government officials.

“In the case of Rivers, there’s already a judgement that the amendment of the law is illegal and unconstitutional,” he said.

Falana expressed concern over the disregard for Supreme Court decisions by political figures, calling for the media to challenge this behaviour.

He warned that the practice of extending tenures without proper elections could lead to chaos.

Ordinarily, the elections should have been conducted just like governorship elections,” he said.

He also faulted the overreach of federal powers in local governance, advocating for a clearer delegation of responsibilities.

“The federal government is currently over-bloated; there is a need to delegate powers to the federating units,” he said.

Falana called for constitutional reforms to enhance the functionality and recognition of local governments, adding that these issues must be addressed to maintain the rule of law and democratic integrity in Nigeria.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/emirate-tussle-judicial-orders-in-kano-embarrassment-to-judiciary-falana/amp/

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by OriOko88(m): 4:48pm On Jun 21
undecided
There's no judiciary any more. Infact there's no single arm of govt that's working or active. Both the judiciary and legislative hv been pocketed by the executive.

Is it the docile CJN that's busy following the president everywhere commissioning roads in Abuja that will control the judges under him, or challenges the executive anti people policy'?? BTW iv never seen any European leader commissioning project or cutting red tape. China opened the biggest bridge in the world, they only declared it open,I didn't see any pics of Ji Xinping cutting any red tapes or commissioning it.

Two different judges giving conflicting judgement over same issue,and the NJC abi NjO remain silent and also confused.
Kudos to the US supreme Court. That's an example of a working institution.
I pray in my next life, I come as a Yoruba boy of America decent or a Dutch.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by GettingTotop22: 4:55pm On Jun 21
You ever wonder why the whites don’t respect us and see Africans as animals ? And some gullible people will be shouting “ I hate the west “ a country where you can’t have dramas like this

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by phemmyjohnson: 4:57pm On Jun 21
Imagine a country where judges knows the matters of traditional rulers falls under the state high court purview of the state government and the FHC still sat down to entertain such matters and give a nonsense ruling .
Its a big embarrassment how far this country has been damaged

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Coolsperm: 4:59pm On Jun 21
Tinubu have brought total confusion in the country

66 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by GettingTotop22: 5:01pm On Jun 21
OriOko88:
undecided
There's no judiciary any more. Infact there's no single arm of govt that's working or active. Both the judiciary and legislative hv been pocketed by the executive.

Is it the docile CJN that's busy following the president everywhere commissioning roads in Abuja that will control the judges under him, or challenges the executive anti people policy'??

Two different judges giving conflicting judgement over same issue,and the NJC abi NjO remain silent and also confused.
Kudos to the US supreme Court. That's an example of a working institution.
I pray in my next life, I come as a Yoruba boy of America decent or a Dutch.

I mean the NJC remain silent and watch judges entertain matters they don’t have jurisdiction over ?
And someone is telling me not to leave this country ?

35 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by ceejay10(m): 5:04pm On Jun 21
There is no independent institution in Nigeria anymore. They are all being controlled by Federal Government and few moneybags. The judiciary which was supposed to be independent and the last hope of the common man is now at the whims and caprices of corrupt individuals and government.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by OriOko88(m): 5:05pm On Jun 21
GettingTotop22:

I mean the NJC remain silent and watch judges entertain matters they don’t have jurisdiction over ?
And someone is telling me not to leave this country ?
I swear if Nigeria shares border with South Africa or Morocco, only the politicians and their croonies will remain here

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by yyba: 5:07pm On Jun 21
Falana you are one of the problem, by always interpreting case in your opinion before any judgement from the court.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by GettingTotop22: 5:07pm On Jun 21
Coolsperm:
Tinubu have brought total confusion in the country

Hello sir please make me understand if extension of a office holder is illegal and even state assembly cannot extend such for the LGA! Please tell me the audacity the chairmen have to stand that they cannot leave knowing that the Supreme Court already ruled that extension of a political office holder is illegal .. Then they started causing troubles and the Nigerian police is standing to say they must wait for appeal court decision ? On what Supreme Court already declared impossible ? 😂 Lol omg what a country

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Racoon(m): 5:09pm On Jun 21
This is the judicial chaos, anarchy, impunity, confusion and lawlessness the APC has turned this nation into. They simply love it that way but Nigeria must overcome this shit.

9 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by phemmyjohnson: 5:13pm On Jun 21
yyba:
Falana you are one of the problem, by always interpreting case in your opinion before any judgement from the court.

How ? By calling out the courts giving conflicting rulings. Do you even understand the implication of LGA chairmen saying they can’t leave after their tenure expired ! Or a FHC entertaining a matter Supreme Court already established as matters of state high court .

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by ATEAMS: 5:13pm On Jun 21
This one na Kano matters weytin concern federal government

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Skoonheid(f): 5:14pm On Jun 21
Illegality will never solve the problem of political lawlessness

1 Like

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Zico5(m): 5:14pm On Jun 21
Judiciary is just an embarrassment in this country. The issue of kingship or emirate is purely local matter and not for the federal government. Tinubu is watching this country degenerated under his watch.

6 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by omoadeleye(m): 5:15pm On Jun 21
Uhmm
Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by CrushObituaries: 5:15pm On Jun 21
ok
Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by GettingTotop22: 5:15pm On Jun 21
yyba:

This is the best you can open your mouth to spill out !
No wonder they treat Nigerians like cows .

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by mellewo: 5:15pm On Jun 21
How can Judiciary rule against legislative law. Is their job not interpretation of the law.

4 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by RodgersAkpafu: 5:15pm On Jun 21
GettingTotop22:
You ever wonder why the whites don’t respect us and see Africans as animals ? And some gullible people will be shouting “ I hate the west “ a country where you can’t have dramas like this
I see what u saying

1 Like

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by yyba: 5:16pm On Jun 21
phemmyjohnson:

How ? By calling out the courts giving conflicting rulings. Do you even understand the implication of LGA chairmen saying they can’t leave after their tenure expired ! Or a FHC entertaining a matter Supreme Court already established as matters of state high court .
Every Case in court before court judgments falana always passed his judgement before the judge. Very wrong

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by JAWBONE(m): 5:16pm On Jun 21
APC influenced judiciary.

Since they corruptly removed Justice Walter Onnoghen as CJN and installed that corrupt Tanko to this Ariwoola, the judiciary has been on a downward spiral. Or are we going to talk about Justice Bulkachuwa

Very funny judgements that my village elders with zero legal education cannot even give have been coming out of Nigerian courts. Not to talk of the rampant nepotism in the judicial system.

It is easier to get justice from bandits than the average Nigerian court. The judges are in the pockets of politicians.

10 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Elephs: 5:17pm On Jun 21
Getting dirty

1 Like

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Anguldi(m): 5:17pm On Jun 21
Corruption in Buhari voice tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by ElevationD: 5:17pm On Jun 21
Hm.

Well said by Mr. Falana, SAN.
Both cases are worsened by several litigations or undue interference by the courts. That if Rivers state is very clear, in that there was a Supreme Court ruling on that in 2012. How the courts want to set us back is unbelievable.

In all, we just wait to see how they all play out.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by 0001Lagos: 5:17pm On Jun 21
Shame on the judiciary

A big shame on them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by olatade(m): 5:17pm On Jun 21
We should have Emir 1 and Emir 2.

Case closed
Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by yyba: 5:18pm On Jun 21
GettingTotop22:

This is the best you can open your mouth to spill out !
No wonder they treat Nigerians like cows .
are you cow ?

3 Likes

Re: Emirate Tussle: Judicial Orders In Kano Embarrassment To Judiciary — Falana by Anguldi(m): 5:18pm On Jun 21
olatade:
We should have Emir 1 and Emir 2.

Case closed

Street judgement cheesy grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ganduje Burns Fake & Illegal Drugs Worth Over N380 Million / A Glimpse Into The 72-Page Manifesto Released By Peter Obi (Screenshots) / Horrible Accident At Nkpor Flyover On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.