Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:46 PM

Can 02 Sensor Perform It's Function Without Catalyst In D Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can 02 Sensor Perform It's Function Without Catalyst In D Car (238 Views)

Should I Fix My Upstream 02 Sensor? / Toyota Avensis 2004 Without Catalyst Sensor / With N3.6million, This Chinese Automaker Will Build You This 3-D Car In 3 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can 02 Sensor Perform It's Function Without Catalyst In D Car by tolexy007(m): 10:38am On Jun 22
Good morning car gurus, Oga GAZZUZZ I hail.

My neighbor which is close to me bought a second hand Camry 2003. Right from wen he bought the car, he is aware that the car Catalyst has being removed. In the process of removing the catalyst they cut the engine manifold to remove the catalyst. The catalyst was removed in a very poor and rough way.dey weld it back, with the 02 sensors. With means the 02 can not b removed again cos it has being welded with the manifold. Wen he bought the car the fuel consumption was much but not really much, but for like 4 months now, the Fuel consumption has extremely high. He scand the car, the scanner shows that the 02 sensor and the Air flow meter sensor not working. Which he has to Change. The mechanic said he has to remove the manifold and get another one, But he said the one he will get must have a catalyst, My guy said he doesn't have money to but manifold with d one with catalyst, but can only afford the one without catalyst, which is around 15k. But the Mechanic said without catalyst in the manifold O2 sensor is useless, Then I argue with mechanic that it is not true Cos a friend of mine bought a corroalla 2004 his catalyst was stolen without his knowledge, but the fuel economy still perfect. He later discover after like 6months. Wen the mechanic check something on the car. Pls is it true that without catalyst the 02 sensor will not work.

Pls ur response and advice will b appreciated thank you.

Cc: Lalasticlala Marpol

Re: Can 02 Sensor Perform It's Function Without Catalyst In D Car by fineboynl(m): 12:21pm On Jun 24
Even if catalyst have any impact in fuel economy it's actually minimum to be noticed or cause concerned.

Most people from the West have confirmed that their cars runs better and better fuel economy after they removed the catalyst.

What many Nigerians don't know is that the state of the engine can impact fuel economy. If you are not getting factory so many things can cause it. The 1 is the type of oil. Second is the state of the engine. Majority of car in Nigeria the engine have lost significant compression. When an engine compression is reduced it will affect fuel economy. Also nussle, airflow meter, O2 sensor, spark plugs and air filter.
Re: Can 02 Sensor Perform It's Function Without Catalyst In D Car by nurey(m): 3:42pm On Jun 24
For this particular camry, it is a yes. Just weld the straight pipe to replace the catalyst pot, then buy a O2 sensor defouler, bolt the defouler to the straight pipe then bolt the O2 r AF sensor to the defouler and you will successfully fool the computer to not throw a code. The AF sensor absent affects fuel economy negatively.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

News / Business / Car Tracker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.