Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,227 members, 7,925,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 12:09 AM

Are You A Research Supervisor? Heres How To Identify/punish Research Malpractice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are You A Research Supervisor? Heres How To Identify/punish Research Malpractice (93 Views)

Identical Twin Brothers Arrested For Alleged Exam Malpractice In Borno / Difficulty Contacting Graduate Research Supervisor. / Plateau And Oyo States Lead In Exam Malpractice In NECO Nov/Dec SSCE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Research Supervisor? Heres How To Identify/punish Research Malpractice by emmanueln2023: 2:40pm On Jun 22
In my previous posts, I have made several mentions of why students of foreign universities deliver quality, effective and efficient research when compared to Nigerian universities.

The reason is not far fetched, Students running their Degree or Postgraduate programmes in Nigeria are always quick to:

1. Copy and paste another person's work in their research
2. Download the full thesis online and send it to their supervisors piecemeal
3. Use AI tools like ChatGPT/OpenAI and others to do ping pong grin, generate references and paraphrase works before submission.

The implication is that novel results are not created and this explains why we do not have new academic solutions to perennial problems.

So how can you burst lazy students?

1. Run a reference check: This works like magic - you can pick a couple of references, copy the author and title i.e. “Yomi, A. (2024) The Age of Vampires” and run a simple search. If you cannot find the author's work on Google, grab the student.

2. Use AI text Detectors: There are free AI text detectors to nab culprits i.e. https://copyleaks.com/ai-content-detector, https://quillbot.com/ai-content-detector and quite a lot of free options. Just copy a paragraph, post it, run the check and catch them young…lol.

3. Run a generic search: some students may not paraphrase the contents they have copied. To nab such students, just copy a portion of their text which is close to a citation and run a search on Google and bingo, you can catch them.

4. Use Smart AI to detect Plagiarism:  sites like https://www.duplichecker.com/ are free to use, simply post a portion of the text i.e. a paragraph and then run detection checks to find out if the content was copied and where it was copied from.

Approaching the issue of poor quality of academic research in Nigerian Universities may be difficult to attain from the institutional and regulatory standpoint due to funding issues. This is because integrating solutions like Turnitin may be costly for institutions but then, Supervisors have to do the needful and the four (4) tips above work.

Here’s my advice for students:

1. Research is a serious business: if you cannot handle it, get extensive training on how best you can get it done.

2. Research is not just another academic activity: it is about adding to knowledge and if you cannot handle it, find a research mentor, guide or assistance.

3. The goal is quality outcome: quality means that the academic activity is thorough, detailed and can compete with international standards.

4. Research is expensive: stop looking for cheap means of doing your research work, whether you are paying in terms of cash, time, effort or dedication, you cannot cut corners in your research.

In the end, it is said that “what is worth doing is worth doing well” and this is why most of our clients who are students of foreign universities leverage our services because they understand the value of an impactful research result.

Let’s discuss further

WhatsApp: +2347068180074 (Chats ONLY)

(1) (Reply)

Find Affordable Accommodations Options In Cotonou Benin Republic 2024 / Instagram Reels Vs. Tiktok: Where Should Your Brand Be? / Latest AZ-104 Exam Dumps And Practice Questions 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.