Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,879 members, 7,876,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:26 PM

Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) (40818 Views)

'Tinubu ‘Graduated’ In 1979, Elnora Couldn’t Have Signed His Certificate - Atiku / Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Private Car in 1979 (photo) / The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Championhala: 1:23am On Jun 29
femi4:
30k dollars

Naira was stronger then
if naira was stronger how is it $30k,😒🧐 it's more than $65k sef

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Championhala: 1:30am On Jun 29
Sammy249:
I have said it and will always say it ,agbaga wearing polithiefcians destroyed this country , they meet it in good state and always destroy , this Shagari administration was the beginning of Nigeria's problems the man is an absolute undeserving dullant local teacher that was made president clearly , the same first Republic that destroyed this country it was the first administration that started American style democratic republic because they were trying to copy America a country that prints the u.s dollars , This was the beginning of Nigeria's fall Shaharis bad luck is far worse than Buhari who was his Adc at the time ,imagine two bad lucks carrying presidential files duties of Nigeria. Calamity , to add salt to injury during shagaris administration Nigeria experienced its first economic recession and devalue a d economic osterities shift , the country could not pay scholarships of students abroad in America etc , also the politicians in senate had started stealing at an unprecedented rate from federal to state government the corruption was unprecedented and Nigerians were starting to feel it , that was why his Adc Buhari took power as he saw politicians looting at an unprecedented rate a fashion which started then and continued to 1992 when mko ran for president and the likes of Tinubu became senators in Lagos under SDP the introduction of the new thieves who learnt from thier teachers in the first Republic and the loot still continues , I hate politicians we were never supposed to run federal democracy, Nigeria was colonised by British we should be running a parliamentary system of rule which is more corrupt free
👍👏 People like u should comment more on this platform not the sentimental ones, in as much as some were trying to paint it as yearly pay even for an annual salary it was too much.
Corruption has always been a part of the Nigerian system.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by AlhajiCSO: 2:45am On Jun 29
TheChameleon:
Was your dad a gateman at UBA for a Yoruba man ?

Because you always sound bitter at their superiority grin grin grin

Don't cry. Take a handkerchief like Abacha gave Diya grin grin grin

Don't be that predictable grin

Fergie001 mynd44 nlfpmod Seun Dominique Mukina2 Rule 2
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by abuhusna1: 3:37am On Jun 29
Yourprick:
See Nigeria Tinubu and co enjoyed
This us like 60k usd of today because naura was bigger than dollar
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Iamanoited: 4:46am On Jun 29
THEN IT WAS NAIRA AND VERY SOVEREIGN. BUT NOW, IT IS IGNORANTLY DOLLAR AND FOREIGN.

ORISA37
NIGERIA IS ONLY UNITED IN FOOLISHNESS, SILLYNESS AND IGNORANCE. GOD HELP US.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by seunayantokun(m): 6:09am On Jun 29
1979 to 1983, when N1.00 could do great wonders in a family before Shagari ruined the economy and terrorist Buhari took over on 31st of December 1983.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Sublimesuccess: 6:21am On Jun 29
Tonididdyx:

Again fresh corn is available on every corner of the planet even in Antarctica corn can be grown!
He doesn’t have to ship corn from 9ja as your brain is telling you!
He could even grow the corn in a small garden in the UK!

In as much as he would not a get a free shower of corn from the sky or go into corn robbery,there's always a profit margin. Simple economics, you are turning a blind eye to.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by obanla01(m): 6:26am On Jun 29
Your explanation is quite clear and you made a reasonable point
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Tonididdyx: 6:34am On Jun 29
Sublimesuccess:

In as much as he would not a get a free shower of corn from the sky or go into corn robbery,there's always a profit margin. Simple economics, you are turning a blind eye to.
No Charlie you don’t know economic because your initial post made it sound like he was waisting his time
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by djseanjohn77: 8:03am On Jun 29
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Some people have not been able to eat three square meals since GEJ left office because their sustainance was tied to his neck. grin grin

That is not new - Fela sang suffer suffer in the 70s, it was not a joke, he didn't sing it for fun but due to the prevailing poverty. Nigeria was never a better place.... the difference was, less population at the time, and no social media to relay grievances...

Rat Race, Majek Fashek, Ras Kimono etc in the 80s etc People have always been hungry and without a voice.

That quote above was enormous in that same year - compared to what an average person collects or civil servants. Nigeria's minimum wage in 1981 was N125/month only...that's 1500 pa. dollar rate was about N 0.58 / N0.6. And average person uses bicycle to go to work. A beetle car around 4k in the 80s, and average person can never save up to afford it in 10 years. If an average person was able to save N20 a month, it would take them about 20 years to be able to afford a beetle that year. More so, it was difficult for an average worker to save a dime from their salary then.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by femi4: 8:55am On Jun 29
Championhala:
if naira was stronger how is it $30k,😒🧐 it's more than $65k sef
You no do maths for school

If you convert a stronger currency to a weak one, the number should drop not increase

N50k can't give you anything up to $50k
E.g if N1 = $0.5,
N50k = 50 x 0.5 = $25k
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:35am On Jun 29
tuzle:
the money is annually,so the original salary is less than 5k. He wasn't collecting 50k monthly but is entire salary for the year. Of u guys just read the newspaper, u will see it there.

I'm talking about annual salary too, that monthly salary could buy a brand new vehicle at the time. Check what was the minimum wage of the country then and see what I'm talking about. NIGERIAN leaders have never thought about the Nigerian people but their selfish interest.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Championhala: 11:07am On Jun 29
femi4:
You no do maths for school

If you convert a stronger currency to a weak one, the number should drop not increase

N50k can't give you anything up to $50k
E.g if N1 = $0.5,
N50k = 50 x 0.5 = $25k
then why is it that 1000 usd is approximately 1.5million if dollar is the stronger currency.
I know ur workings are correct but this matter get as e be grin grin
EDIT : See as u wan confuse me it's actually naira that was N0.75 to 1usd
N50k = xusd
N50000/0.75 ≈ $66000.
So I'm correct, abeg no dey confuse person here and u even tell me say I no do maths cry
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by femi4: 11:59am On Jun 29
Championhala:
then why is it that 1000 usd is approximately 1.5million if dollar is the stronger currency.
I know ur workings are correct but this matter get as e be grin grin
EDIT : See as u wan confuse me it's actually naira that was N0.75 to 1usd
N50k = xusd
N50000/0.75 ≈ $66000.
So I'm correct, abeg no dey confuse person here and u even tell me say I no do maths cry

Anyway

Between 1974 and 1985, the naira rocked from $0.63 to $0.894. In 1979 and 1980, the naira was at its strongest as it was $0.596 and $0.550 respectively.

https://www.legit.ng/1335475-years-1-naira-strong-us-dollars.html
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Wizdom0091: 5:25pm On Jun 29
Sublimesuccess:
Hmmm

That was when my father bought a brand new car for less than #4000. So the annual salary of the president then would buy almost 13 of such cars. Imagine selling that car for 8 million naira in our own time and a modern day president can afford to buy 13 such cars with his BASIC SALARY of 104 million naira. There was corruption then as well.

Even the cover price of the newspaper should tell you something. That newspaper cost 15k then, now it is #300. If you divide #50000 by 15k, it's the same result you get by dividing #100 million by #300, the current price of the newspaper, and I don't even think the official salary of the modern day president is up to #100 million. For the president nowadays to buy the same number of newspapers the annual salary of the president then could buy, he must earn #100 million annually. Let's be relative with the way we think.

Likewise I saw people thinking that the man selling roasted corn in London had struck gold by selling one for £1. Converting the money into naira is a fairy tale. A bottle of coke there is about £2. Imagine selling one cob of corn for £1 and buying a bottle of coke for £2! It's like garbage in, garbage out.

Based on the values copied from Wikipedia below,in 1979, $1=60k, therefore #50,000 then in 1979=$83333.
Let's convert the $83333 back to naira in 2024 when $1=#1235 based on the table, $83333=#103 million. So #50000 then and #103 million today are equal!!! Cutting it down further, #5 in 1979 and #10000 today have the same purchasing strength.

You made alot of sense
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by benratigan3(m): 5:48pm On Jun 29
Sublimesuccess:
Hmmm

That was when my father bought a brand new car for less than #4000. So the annual salary of the president then would buy almost 13 of such cars. Imagine selling that car for 8 million naira in our own time and a modern day president can afford to buy 13 such cars with his BASIC SALARY of 104 million naira. There was corruption then as well.

Even the cover price of the newspaper should tell you something. That newspaper cost 15k then, now it is #300. If you divide #50000 by 15k, it's the same result you get by dividing #100 million by #300, the current price of the newspaper, and I don't even think the official salary of the modern day president is up to #100 million. For the president nowadays to buy the same number of newspapers the annual salary of the president then could buy, he must earn #100 million annually. Let's be relative with the way we think.

Likewise I saw people thinking that the man selling roasted corn in London had struck gold by selling one for £1. Converting the money into naira is a fairy tale. A bottle of coke there is about £2. Imagine selling one cob of corn for £1 and buying a bottle of coke for £2! It's like garbage in, garbage out.

Based on the values copied from Wikipedia below,in 1979, $1=60k, therefore #50,000 then in 1979=$83333.
Let's convert the $83333 back to naira in 2024 when $1=#1235 based on the table, $83333=#103 million. So #50000 then and #103 million today are equal!!! Cutting it down further, #5 in 1979 and #10000 today have the same purchasing strength.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Ubanz: 7:37pm On Jun 29
That's about $4,500 monthly.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by BALLOSKI: 4:17am
hisgrace090:
Almost 50k dollars then.
That is still too high at that time. Shagari was wasteful too. See.what those guys were taking then. It's too much.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by ucheheart(m): 8:18am
Sublimesuccess:
Hmmm

Hope you read and understood that the N50k is per year, not per month? Divide it by 12 months before comparing with the salary of the crook in power today.
Re: Shehu Shagari: Nigerian President's Salary In 1979 (Throwback Photo) by Sublimesuccess: 8:56am
ucheheart:

Hope you read and understood that the N50k is per year, not per month? Divide it by 12 months before comparing with the salary of the crook in power today.

My analysis was made per year not per month.
50000÷12= #4170. Let's change that to dollars based on the forex value that year(1979), that's $6997. Now save that and let's move to 2024. Change that back to naira in 2024 and you'd get about #8,642,000 in a month. That's more than 100 million naira in a year. Relatively our politicians have always received SUPER JUMBO PACKETS!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Police With Big Stomach- Can He Still Do His Job? See Photo / Buhari Orders Mass Retirement Of Permanent Secretaries / Anybody With The Last Name Vivor Has A Very Strong Lagos Pedigree - Reno Omokri

Viewing this topic: awoxalat(m), allove4sole1(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.