Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,127 members, 7,887,260 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:04 AM

Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? (141 Views)

Should I Divorce Or Remain Subjected To This Punishment For My Infidelity? / 13-Year-Old Aba House Help Jumps Down From 2-Storey Building To Evade Punishment / Share The Most Painful Punishment Given To You By Your Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by nuele(m): 6:55pm On Jun 22
Corporal punishment refers to punishment meted to bearer in form of flogging or canning.

Let's focus on canning at home compared to school.

Does this sort of punishment achieve its supposed aim of correcting the child and forestalling future reoccurrence of offences?
Re: Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by being(m): 7:12pm On Jun 22
Tell me, hw else do u correct a 1 or 2 yo?
By talking sense to him? Or begging him? Or grounding him?
Flogging is so painful to a little child and so the child immediately controls himself to prevent a repeat of the flogging. And so it has the triple benefits of
1. Correcting the child at that point
2. Helping the child build self control early
3. Helping the child to take you as an authority to be listened to

U beat to correct not to injure or to kill... beating doesn't and should not be injurious to the child's body. If u are too angry to beat a child controllably, then don't beat the child at that point.
nuele:
Corporal punishment refers to punishment meted to bearer in form of flogging or canning. I will extend this to include inserting/rubbing pepper in genitals, ears or eyes and the likes...

However, let's focus on the canning part, and at home compared to school.

Does this sort of punishment achieve its supposed aim of correcting the child and forestalling future reoccurrence of offences?

1 Like

Re: Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by nuele(m): 7:22pm On Jun 22
I see some children behaving stubbornly, to this I am sure the parent regularly fails to correct them effectively. So your take is that for the 1 or 2 years old (like children) the can inhibit them repetiting the very act that led to such event since that is the only language they understand. I get that.

Now what about the ones that understand well other correction languages e.g., 8-13 years old?

being:
Tell me, hw else do u correct a 1 or 2 yo?
By talking sense to him? Or begging him? Or grounding him?
Flogging is so painful to a little child and so the child immediately controls himself to prevent a repeat of the flogging. And so it has the triple benefits of
1. Correcting the child at that point
2. Helping the child build self control early
3. Helping the child to take you as an authority to be listened to

U beat to correct not to injure or to kill... beating doesn't and should not be injurious to the child's body. If u are too angry to beat a child controllably, then don't beat the child at that point.
Re: Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by Fisiryorh(m): 7:30pm On Jun 22
Yes, this should work on that jennyclay.... grin
Re: Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by being(m): 9:04pm On Jun 22
nuele:
I see some children behaving stubbornly, to this I am sure the parent regularly fails to correct them effectively. So your take is that for the 1 or 2 years old (like children) the can inhibit them repetiting the very act that led to such event since that is the only language they understand. I get that.

Now what about the ones that understand well other correction languages e.g., 8-13 years old?

It is important to start discipline early as like I said helps build self control and to take u (and other elders) as an authority. The absence of that can cause problem later on at 12yo when flogging may not be so painful to the child and he hasn't learnt self control and is not used to obeying authority.(This is very important, Mothers esp need to take note)
Rebellion is easier at that age upwards if there is no self control built and the child doesn't see you as an authority.. at that point it is prayers.. then perhaps the child should face some serious consequence of his actions and then that can be used to instruct him
Overall, even from baby stage, prayers and Godly instruction should not be toyed with esp in this age & time.
Re: Does Corporal Punishment Achieve Its Intended Aim? by nuele(m): 3:37am On Jun 23
Thanks a lot. I gained much from your post. One is early discipline is fundamental.

being:

It is important to start discipline early as like I said helps build self control and to take u (and other elders) as an authority. The absence of that can cause problem later on at 12yo when flogging may not be so painful to the child and he hasn't learnt self control and is not used to obeying authority.(This is very important, Mothers esp need to take note)
Rebellion is easier at that age upwards if there is no self control built and the child doesn't see you as an authority.. at that point it is prayers.. then perhaps the child should face some serious consequence of his actions and then that can be used to instruct him
Overall, even from baby stage, prayers and Godly instruction should not be toyed with esp in this age & time.

(1) (Reply)

Chy Business For All / Greeting; An Important Part Of Yoruba Culture / That's Great

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.