Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,219 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:01 AM

Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride (1354 Views)

Delta State Government Set Target Of Supplying One Million Youths With Keke Nape / Festus Keyamo On Open Bus Ride With PMB In Ibadan As Ambode Speaks On PMB In Oyo / Femi Gbajabiamila Meets Man Whose Keke Has A Fan, Audio System And Refreshments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by OldNairalander(m): 10:02am On Jun 23
Yesterday, my mechanic took my car to his workshop for regular servicing and my wife have been showing some bitchy attitude whenever I use her car ( bought with my own money) but that's not the story.
I decided to use public transport instead of the usual bolt ride for my day's movement for the first time since 2012.
I discovered a worrysome trend at the Keke terminal or whatever it is called.
The middle aged Keke man loaded four passengers for #150 each which totals #600.
But to my surprise, he paid the union #150, another #100 to the areas boys and #50 park ticket.
Mind you what they're calling park is just a road side bustop built for the public.
I got alarmed when this same Keke man paid another #100 to a police checkpoint just 100m away from the bustop.
What it means is that this struggling Keke man have paid 67% of the money his passengers paid to touts and police. He haven't bought fuel yet, and the Keke need maintainance. What a world ! What a wickedness! What a country!
I never knew all this nonsense has been going on and everybody is complaining of hardship. Nigerians are truly the problem of Nigeria not the leaders.

Anyway, out of pity I hired the Keke man for the rest of all my daily movements and paid him hugely at the end.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by immortalcrown(m): 10:04am On Jun 23
This is why I confront some passengers when they abuse drivers because of fare rates.

The passengers see these things and not attack the perpetrators. But the same passengers inconsiderately and energetically scapegoat drivers and riders.

There are many factors responsible for the extortion. Many drivers and riders don't have driver's license and vehicle papers. But getting these documents is so frustrating because the authorities that issue the documents don't work unless bribed. A driver will remember how many days he will queue up to get the documents, he will decide to bribe police on daily basis.

9 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Caleb15(m): 10:08am On Jun 23
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Caaz: 10:13am On Jun 23
It only happens when they pick up passengers in a designated park.
But when they re running on the freeway,they hardly experience svch.

Thanks for making the rider smiled.

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by omowolewa: 10:16am On Jun 23
The cost was passed to you and you will pass your costs to others too

Ask why food is costly,

3 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Vinnie2000(m): 10:18am On Jun 23
OP, Dat's all of the Many Ills we have to correct in Nigeria. undecided

In Most States, those Illegal Collections Goes to the State Government Coffers. sad

But OP, Funny enough, the Keke Drivers in my State were all supporting Buhari/APC when he was Increasing the Fuel Price when they Felt they were Making Profit.

They would look for Filling Station selling Cheap and Overcharge passengers. 😒

It was when Tinibu removed Fuel Subsidy and Moved Fuel price from N200 to N600 for All Filling Stations,
their Eyes come Clear and they realized their foolishness.😏😕

5 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by OldNairalander(m): 10:20am On Jun 23
Whatever is the reason. This is pure extortion and you know it.
FYI, in a well organized setting, public transport is supposed to have designated loading points not the type you're talking about.

Caaz:
It only happens when they pick up passengers in a designated park.
But when they re running on the freeway,they hardly experience svch.

Thanks for making the rider smiled.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by cenaman(m): 10:26am On Jun 23
Tinubu why
sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by 2special(m): 10:35am On Jun 23
Some of the payments might once a day, subsequent trips doesn't require payment.

7 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by JagabanB: 10:53am On Jun 23
immortalcrown:
This is why I confront some passengers when they abuse drivers because of fare rates.

The passengers see these things and not attack the perpetrators. But the same passengers inconsiderately and energetically scapegoat drivers and riders.

There are many factors responsible for the extortion. Many drivers and riders don't have driver's license and vehicle papers. But getting these documents is so frustrating because the authorities that issue the documents don't work unless bribed. A driver will remember how many days he will queue up to get the documents, he will decide to bribe police on daily basis.
Is not about papers, there police officers that will stop a vehicle even if papers are complete and insist on money.

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Caaz: 10:57am On Jun 23
2special:
Some of the payments might once a day, subsequent trips doesn't require payment.
Officer spotted!

4 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by immortalcrown(m): 10:58am On Jun 23
JagabanB:
Is not about papers, there police officers that will stop a vehicle even if papers are complete and insist on money.
You misunderstand me. I never said it is all about papers. I said the factors are many.

I just pointed out one of the reasons many drivers and many riders cannot complain against those extortionists.
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Lanretoye(m): 11:00am On Jun 23
Your business is to board keke to your destination,you have no business with who ever he pays too.lets learn to mind our own business,perhaps you should have intervened and insist he doesn’t pay a dime to anyone then you will regret ever boarding keke.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by JagabanB: 11:06am On Jun 23
immortalcrown:
You misunderstand me. I never said it is all about papers. I said the factors are many.

I just pointed out one of the reasons many drivers and many riders cannot complain against those extortionists.
Nope, they cannot.
I'm not complaining about you tho.
The whole system needs a revamp, law enforcement agents are paid crumbs.
There are so many police officers who have 3-4 kids in school at various levels, paying house rents with a jobless wife, when they get their salary, in less than a week, it's all gone, they have to wait for another month to get money, so they extort hustlers, some hustlers don't have papers, they don't care, they don't plan on being hustlers in that way so they prefer not doing the papers.
We need a whole revamp of the system.
If you view from the circumstance from all their points of view, you will realize this whole sh*t is about the system.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Fragility6: 12:06pm On Jun 23
You would think only Keke riders face this extortions till bus and bike drivers tell you thier own. Transport drivers are simply working for agberos and police in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Seunpapa65: 12:11pm On Jun 23
Na wenti dem dey do for ABA imagine 20 trip u go settle for 20 times until Alex Otti said the should only buy their tickets online and once for the day

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Royalechelon(m): 12:14pm On Jun 23
Please Help!!!
I apologize for derailing.
I am a level 500 student of agriculture at the brink of dropping out in my final year. Bulk of the funds used in the little petty trade I run with my mom was stolen yesterday and I’m being fingered to as the PRIME SUSPECT. No investigation is being carried out. A police officer friend has promised to handle the matter and I’m still clueless on what to do.
Being that I have a clear conscience, I don’t worry much about this heavy allegation as I do due to the fact that my only source of my tuition fee and other expenses is gone.I can’t explain my state of mind and I won’t blame you if you can’t understand me. I am ready to strike a deal with any Godsent person who would be kind to help me complete my education . I am open to any form of verifications for transparency. That’s my only hope for my family. Thank you the Nairaland Family.

God bless you as you care.
WhatsApp: 07032880452
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Gbadugbakun(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23
I once entered a bus from Ojuelegba to Berger. In my presence because I sat at the front, the driver gave those RETEAN agberos that usually wear yellow 2k and the guy gave him N300 change. Meaning he was charged N1,700.

How much would he use to buy fuel, maintain his bus and feed his family?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by 2special(m): 12:41pm On Jun 23
Caaz:

Officer spotted!
haaaaaaaaaa abeg o
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Dhury: 1:09pm On Jun 23
The touts will keep feeding on the legit hustlers because the society support them.just like what happened yesterday in Lagos where okada rider's descended on one of the touts who lost his life as the result, but to my surprise people from that part of the country are linked his murderers to northerners ,instead of okada Union in general because they feel the touts who feed on people daily hard earned are their brothers and indigenous and so the less privilege rider's who they see as strangers have no right to protesters the daily extortion because they are not part of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by RealityKings: 1:14pm On Jun 23
This is what the society doesn't seem to understand about hardship. When the same keke rider gets home and want to eat, it becomes hard. But the society will say he is working.

Life is not about working and hardship, it's about profit and convince. Both profit and convinience is lacking in our society generally.
Its as if the society is designed to make you poorer.
The system doesn't want you to be rich or achieve convinience

4 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Caaz: 1:36pm On Jun 23
OldNairalander:
Whatever is the reason. This is pure extortion and you know it.
FYI, in a well organized setting, public transport is supposed to have designated loading points not the type you're talking about.

I know,I get your points clearly.
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Tokskob2008: 1:47pm On Jun 23
Transport business in this country is not all that sweet especially now that fuel is expensive. Those touts don't only stay in the park anymore, you will find them almost at every bus stops and even expressway and they make life unbearable for the drivers. Police, Lastma,VIO and others are parasites too.

5 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Walai(m): 2:06pm On Jun 23
Nigerians are extortionists. Just buy small land and start a small building or rent a shop and start small business and see an army of jobless thieves tax collectors on a daily basis. This is after paying the rightful taxies and levies yet they won't stop coming.
Very wicked set of people.
After all the most senior agbero is the incumbent sheriff in the unfortunate country

1 Like

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by AcadaWriter: 2:12pm On Jun 23
politician why
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Lanretoye(m): 2:24pm On Jun 23
DepressedBully:
you be very foolish man.
If to say you talk this rubbish for my face I for punch your teeth commot.
No wonder you're supporting a failed drug sniffing baron at aso rock
I go beat you,beat your papa join,shameless fools whose major means of livelihood is drug peddling be calling someone a drug baron.
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by victory36(m): 2:53pm On Jun 23
He pays it only one or twice a day though
Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by MrEverest(m): 2:55pm On Jun 23
It’s always in Lagos that this rubbish happens. They empowered social misfits and encouraged them by giving them uniform to be terrorizing law abiding citizens.

Tinubu the criminal claimed he built Lagos but the old fool only recruited rogues and allowed them to be constituting nuisance in Lagos. Tell me any sane city in the world where criminals are allowed to harass law abiding citizens like Lagos.

Spit!!!

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: My Experience With Keke Ride by Freestainworld(m): 3:12pm On Jun 23
Nigeria my country, we hail thee, that is why every Dick and Tom wants to japa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reno Replies A Twitterian Accusing The Police Of Ethnic Profiling in Lagos / Who want to be President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria? / 2011: I Want To Be Imo Gov –okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.