Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,620 members, 7,878,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:50 AM

Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? (1325 Views)

Is This Happening To You This Festive Season / Have You Ever Felt Like A Fraud in your workplace? / Three Things That Will Ensure Your Value At Your Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by confessionsad: 1:13pm On Jun 25

When I joined the company, I was not informed that my work activities could be remotely accessed or monitored. Recently, I logged into my personal email on the company laptop to retrieve a few documents. During this time, I noticed unusual activity, such as my mouse pointer moving on its own and words being added in places where I did not type them.

This unexpected activity has made me feel quite uncomfortable. Upon reviewing my contract and the information provided during my onboarding, I found no mention of remote monitoring or access.

I wasn't told and it wasn't also added to the contract I signed,I would also appreciate guidance on what steps I should take in this situation to ensure my privacy and security.

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by immortalcrown(m): 1:26pm On Jun 25
Have you confirmed that your employer is the one secretly accessing your mailbox? If yes, how did you confirm it? If not, why are you accusing the employer?
confessionsad:
When I joined the company, I was not informed that my work activities could be remotely accessed or monitored. Recently, I logged into my personal email on the company laptop to retrieve a few documents. During this time, I noticed unusual activity, such as my mouse pointer moving on its own and words being added in places where I did not type them.

This unexpected activity has made me feel quite uncomfortable. Upon reviewing my contract and the information provided during my onboarding, I found no mention of remote monitoring or access.

I wasn't told and it wasn't also added to the contract I signed,I would also appreciate guidance on what steps I should take in this situation to ensure my privacy and security.

3 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by Obainoman6: 1:26pm On Jun 25
better keep quiet because after all they are paying you salary except you want to lose your job.

2 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by erad(m): 4:34pm On Jun 25
Is this on google docs, or any of the Google platforms? Or everywhere on your computer?

Do others have 'editor' access to that document?

I think you're mistaking document access with remote access.
Kindly shed more light on the questions above.

8 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by Rexymania(m): 4:43pm On Jun 25
It could probably be an outsider, not necessarily your company.

Investigate

3 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by DesChyko: 12:22am On Jun 26
Since it's the company's Laptop, they do not need to explicitly tell you they can access it. You should know they can. Using it for anything other than work can cause a security breach, so be prepared that when you take it up with them, ensure that you're not violating their policy on its usage.

5 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by intruder15(m): 6:51am On Jun 26
confessionsad:

Did I just read my privacy on a company's property? You de joke abi.

3 Likes

Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by TheBillyonaire: 9:54am On Jun 26
You should expect a query, for using company computer to access your private mails. The company has right to access their computer and the work you are paid to do remotely. The company does not need your approval to access their computer. You are a resource, if you do not work, another human resource will work and get paid.
Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by Biglittlelois(f): 10:05am On Jun 26
Since you were not informed and no contract signed that there will be remote access, inform your boss about it, and if you're not comfortable with it, pls resign, that's a breech of contract.
Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by Farrason: 11:27am On Jun 26
confessionsad:

Quickly investigate this to know if it is
the company accessing your system or a hacker. And if it's your company, never save any sensitive information or carry out a sensitive interaction and transaction on that system - Use your phone or PC at home. If it's a hacker, u already know what to when you finish reading this!!
Re: Imagine This Happening To You At Your Workplace, What Would You Do? by immortalcrown(m): 12:47pm On Jun 26
erad:
Is this on google docs, or any of the Google platforms? Or everywhere on your computer?

Do others have 'editor' access to that document?

I think you're mistaking document access with remote access.
Kindly shed more light on the questions above.
You are even going far. The poster didn't mention Google drive or any other cloud storage platform. The poster simply said he logged in to his personal email.

(1) (Reply)

Nnpc Test / Needed Urgently / Cheveron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.