Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,365 members, 7,937,111 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

Considering Between A Masters Of Science In Nursing (MSN) And A Phd In USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Considering Between A Masters Of Science In Nursing (MSN) And A Phd In USA (165 Views)

UK Considering Tougher Rules As Nigerians Bring Highest Number Of Relatives / Can A Person With Bsc Pharmacology Go For Masters In Nursing In USA / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Considering Between A Masters Of Science In Nursing (MSN) And A Phd In USA by Chisomijeoma: 2:56pm On Jun 25
Good day,
Please I need suggestions.
I am currently in my final year, final semester in Biochemistry here in Nigeria and I will be graduating hopefully with a 4.1gpa. I want to attend medical school in USA and also practice in the USA afterwards.

So I have been thinking on either applying to a PhD program in USA after I graduate from school. if I go for a 5yr PhD program in molecular medicine, I will get a stipend and tuition. Towards the end of program, I can begin my EB2 green card process and after the program, I will get a job while doing a structured post bacc program in other to complete USA medical schools requirements and apply to medical school in USA. So hopefully I will get the green card before applying in other to widen the range of medical schools, I can apply and also get instate tuition and loans if need arises. So PhD route will take about 6yrs before medical school.

On the other hand, I am thinking about applying for a graduate entry masters of science in Nursing in USA (MSN), USA universities have that category of MSN for students with non-nursing bachelor's degree. I have the prerequisites as well and the masters is 2yrs. I am looking at graduate assistantships to fund to MSN. So if I do masters, I will get my license as RN and work for one year while doing my green card process ie EB2 or EB3. Within the one year working, I can do a structured post bacc program in other to get my medical school prerequisites, write the MCAT and I apply to medical school in USA. So hopefully if I get the green card and get into medical school. It will be about 3yrs before medical school.

Please I need candid suggestions and advice on what to do, is an MSN worth it? Is a PhD worth? Which will be better and more convenient for me considering that I will be coming as an F1 student and also interested in med school. Will it be difficult or impossible getting a visa for MSN considering I have a bachelor's degree in biochemistry? Between an MSN and PhD, which has higher chances of visa approval?

I will be grateful if I get a response, Thanks.

PS: I have thought about studying medicine here in Nigeria as second degree and it's not feasible.
I know about USA medical schools requirements and it's competitiveness.
Re: Considering Between A Masters Of Science In Nursing (MSN) And A Phd In USA by dawnomike(m): 2:58pm On Jun 25
Chisomijeoma:
Good day,
Please I need suggestions.
I am currently in my final year, final semester in Biochemistry here in Nigeria and I will be graduating hopefully with a 4.1gpa. I want to attend medical school in USA and also practice in the USA afterwards.

So I have been thinking on either applying to a PhD program in USA after I graduate from school. if I go for a 5yr PhD program in molecular medicine, I will get a stipend and tuition. Towards the end of program, I can begin my EB2 green card process and after the program, I will get a job while doing a structured post bacc program in other to complete USA medical schools requirements and apply to medical school in USA. So hopefully I will get the green card before applying in other to widen the range of medical schools, I can apply and also get instate tuition and loans if need arises. So PhD route will take about 6yrs before medical school.

On the other hand, I am thinking about applying for a graduate entry masters of science in Nursing in USA (MSN), USA universities have that category of MSN for students with non-nursing bachelor's degree. I have the prerequisites as well and the masters is 2yrs. I am looking at graduate assistantships to fund to MSN. So if I do masters, I will get my license as RN and work for one year while doing my green card process ie EB2 or EB3. Within the one year working, I can do a structured post bacc program in other to get my medical school prerequisites, write the MCAT and I apply to medical school in USA. So hopefully if I get the green card and get into medical school. It will be about 3yrs before medical school.

Please I need candid suggestions and advice on what to do, is an MSN worth it? Is a PhD worth? Which will be better and more convenient for me considering that I will be coming as an F1 student and also interested in med school. Will it be difficult or impossible getting a visa for MSN considering I have a bachelor's degree in biochemistry? Between an MSN and PhD, which has higher chances of visa approval?

I will be grateful if I get a response, Thanks.

PS: I have thought about studying medicine here in Nigeria as second degree and it's not feasible.
I know about USA medical schools requirements and it's competitiveness.
Both are worth it.But go through MSN.

1 Like

Re: Considering Between A Masters Of Science In Nursing (MSN) And A Phd In USA by justwise(m): 3:31pm On Jun 25

(1)

What Music Will You Listen On This Road? / Uncharted Horizons: Exploring The World's Wonders / Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Liveable City Globally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.