Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,104 members, 7,939,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:18 AM

June 26th; A Pharmacist's Reflection On Drug Abuse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / June 26th; A Pharmacist's Reflection On Drug Abuse (91 Views)

NIMET Partners With Tagwaye Foundation On Drug And Substance Abuse Control / Drug Abuse: Slaymama Poses With Bottles Of Codeine Syrup And Milk. / How Nigerian Doctors Worsened Drug Abuse Among Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

June 26th; A Pharmacist's Reflection On Drug Abuse by Whitewaters(m): 1:14am On Jun 26
June 26th

Today, at the green light of 193 sovereign United Nations, the world reflects on the dangers drug abuse and traffic of illicit drugs.

Drug abuse and the traffic of illicit drugs affects us in a number of ways. It places health burdens on our society, it stretches our scarce economic resources and delivers a chunk of it to be swallowed by rehabilitations and restorations which could have been prevented. More sadly, it reduces the effectiveness of the human resource in our institutions. Many individuals cannot produce much value in the work place specifically because of this. It is more worrisome for pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists because we live every day with the sight of horrors created by their own inventions.

Some times, drugs that took years and so much money to develop are kept away from the public due to this menace. I recall some years back, the Federal government of Nigeria banned the production, import and distribution of the drug Codeine. Well done to the government for taking proactive measures in tackling a growing monster, but here is another truth; Codeine was never an evil drug, in fact it was an innocent ingredient in cough syrups and it was so preferred because of the unique way it works until it got into the wrong hands, hands of heads not educated enough to see the dangers of its abuse. Today patients who genuinely need Codeine in Nigeria cant have it, sadly.
How many more drugs and medicines will receive this fate because of abuse?

I wanted to find someone or something to blame, so picked up a search light, it was easy for me point a finger at the government for doing or not doing something, I also found out that I can blame the religious institutions, families and schools for not playing their part. Since these are obvious culprits, I will allow other commentators, give them their fair or even exaggerated portion of blame.
Permit me to blame you and I for a moment,

As a responsible citizen, do you know the laws that guide the possession and use of drugs and medicine in your country, do you abuse drugs, do you neglect the abuse of drugs done in your home, and offices?
The United Nations have said today ‘The evidence is clear invest in prevention’ and I say ‘This is my investment, to remind you of these truths. I hope they serves as your Protection’ .

Pharm Damoem K.N
BPharm., MBA.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Soap Stamping Production Office / Neutralize The Burn: 3 Ways To Reduce Acid In Your Body / Best Oil Milling Machine For Home - Shreejahealthcare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.