Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,578 members, 7,905,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 08:23 AM

Please, I Need Water’ Last Request Of Customs Officer Who Died At NASS Hearing B - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please, I Need Water’ Last Request Of Customs Officer Who Died At NASS Hearing B (139 Views)

Woman Spotted Sleeping At NASS Inauguration (Photos) / Senator Bassey Albert Wearing Only One Shoe At NASS Yesterday (Photo) / Wike Reacts To Masked DSS At NASS: "All Over The World This Has Never Happened" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please, I Need Water’ Last Request Of Customs Officer Who Died At NASS Hearing B by ComradeNap: 9:51am On Jun 26
‘Please, I Need Water’ Last Request Of Customs Officer Who Died At NASS Hearing
By Dailygazettenig - June 26, 2024

Tragedy struck the National Assembly on Tuesday when Deputy Comptroller of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Essien Etop Andrew, passed away after collapsing during a hearing. Andrew, who was in charge of Finance, Administration, and Technical Services, had led a team of top customs officers to the House of Representatives for an investigative hearing by the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).

The team was present to discuss revenue remittances by the Nigeria Customs Service. During the session, Andrew explained the process of remitting funds to the federation account, a task handled by the office of the Accountant General. He was in the midst of a presentation when he began to feel unwell.
“These levies, as stated earlier, are listed as federation account levies, and it is the responsibility of the office of the Accountant General to allocate this money for sharing in FAAC.” “However, the reason this money, which the Nigeria Customs Service has remitted into the appropriate account, was not sent to the federation account is beyond our explanation,” he said.

The Committee Chairman, Rep. Bamidele Salam, interjected, asking, “So your position is that this money was actually sent to the account provided by the Accountant-General, and the obligation of now taking it to the federation account is out of your purview?”
Andrew confirmed, “Yes. The same applies for 2017, and it can be seen on the next page. If you look at 2016, it encompasses other levies. Sir, I may need to take water.” After being offered water and tea, Andrew suddenly collapsed and was rushed to the House of Representatives Clinic, where he was pronounced dead.

In a statement, Customs Public Relations Officer Abdullahi Maiwada expressed shock and sadness over Andrew’s death. “It is with profound sadness and a deep sense of loss that the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) announces the passing of Deputy Comptroller Etop Andrew Essien, who served as the Deputy Comptroller in charge of Revenue in the Account Unit of the Service.”
“Deputy Comptroller Essien, who was responsible for the reconciliation of revenue for the Service, passed away on June 25, 2024, while making a presentation before the National Assembly House Committee on Public Accounts.”

Maiwada added that Andrew, born on November 16, 1967, had joined the Nigeria Customs Service on November 27, 1989. “With over three decades of service, he was known for his diligence and exceptional service record. Hailing from Nsit-Ubium in Akwa Ibom State, Andrew played a pivotal role in ensuring the accurate reconciliation of revenue.”

The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi MFR, extended heartfelt condolences to Andrew’s family, acknowledging the significant loss felt across the Service. “The loss of such a dedicated and valued team member is deeply felt. We are committed to supporting and assisting his family and colleagues during this difficult period,” he said.

https://www.dailygazettenig.com/2024/06/26/please-i-need-water-last-request-of-customs-officer-who-died-at-nass-hearing/
Re: Please, I Need Water’ Last Request Of Customs Officer Who Died At NASS Hearing B by wittywriter: 9:57am On Jun 26
Underlying ailment or dehydration....RIP

Wittyness

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Protest: NOA Mobilises 4000 Staff To Track Promoters Of Violence / Samoa Allegation: Federal Government To Take Action Against Daily Trust / APC Vows To Take Over Anambra, Abia, Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.