Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,280 members, 7,894,189 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 04:05 AM

Resolving Property Rights Disputes In Local Markets. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Resolving Property Rights Disputes In Local Markets. (55 Views)

What You Should Know About Intellectual Property Rights In Nigeria / Abuja Women Shop At Local Markets Due To Economic Situation / Frieslandcampina To Stake €23m In Local Milk Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Resolving Property Rights Disputes In Local Markets. by ChukwuedOkwuobi(m): 5:41pm On Jun 26
As a market woman doing business in the local marketplace, one of the problems you are likely to face will bother on your property rights.

One day, somebody can just wake up and come and question you about your stall- that you're not the rightful owner or that you're using their stall without permission.

This was exactly what transpired on my way to work this morning.

I was strolling past the bustling Ogbe-ogonogo market, enjoying the aroma of fresh vegetables and livestock plus the vibrant chatter of vendors and buyers when I suddenly discovered in a corner of the market a struggle between two women over who owns and can use a market stall.

These kinds of issue can be complex because even though the stalls are small, they are crucial for livelihood and if left unresolved, will disrupt the harmony of the marketplace, affecting not just the involved parties but the entire community.

As a Lawyer, I moved to intervene.

After listening to both parties and examining their evidence, we were able to amicably resolve the dispute. And...

Here's what I advise every market woman venturing to rent her own market space/stall/shed to do:

1. Ensure that you have a rental agreement and that they are clear and comprehensive. They should cover essential terms such as the rent amount, payment schedule, duration of the lease, and conditions of use for the stall.

2. Have all agreements documented and legally binding. This helps protect both parties and provides a reference point if disputes arise.

3. Be fully aware of your rights as a tenant and your responsibilities. This includes adhering to the terms of the rental agreement and maintaining good communication with the landlord.

4. Keep open lines of communication with your landlord and other market stakeholders. Regularly discuss any concerns or issues to prevent misunderstandings from escalating into disputes.

If disputes arise, consider the following steps for resolution:

A). Mediation: Engage a neutral third party, like the lawyer in the picture, to mediate the dispute. Mediation helps both parties reach a mutually acceptable solution without resorting to legal battles.

B). Reviewing the Agreement: Go back to the terms of the rental agreement. Ensure that both parties have adhered to the agreed terms and identify any areas of non-compliance.

C). Legal Intervention: If mediation fails, seek legal intervention to resolve the dispute. A lawyer can provide the necessary guidance and represent your interests in legal proceedings.

For more information, e.mail chukwuedokwuobi@gmail.com

Follow on Facebook for more info - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61560895304124&mibextid=JRoKGi

(1) (Reply)

Seasonal Pool Heater Maintenance Tips For Melbourne Pools / "Profreshsa: Leading Grape Exporters In South Africa" / Landlord And Livestock Owner,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.