Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,831 members, 7,893,277 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 07:49 AM

More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos (508 Views)

Made In Nigeria Electric Cars In Ikorodu, Lagos / See What A Lagos Driver Was Seen Using As Side Mirror (photos) / Zimbabwe Man Beats Tesla, Invents Electric Car That Does Not Require Charging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:16am On Jun 28
Yes, we all saw the electric car made in Ikorodu, Lagos. And it's confirmed.

Here are a few things I learnt from my research which I thought you should know as well. 👇👇
Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:18am On Jun 28

Saglev is an electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer focused on accelerating the transition to emission-free vehicles in emerging markets, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. They have established an assembly plant in Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria, and officially launched their EVs during the Lagos Auto Show in February 2024.

Here's a summary of what we know about Saglev:

Company Focus:

* Accelerating the transition to electric vehicles in emerging markets.
* Building an extensive EV charging network in Nigeria.

Key Events:

* December 2023: Announced commitment to building an EV charging network.
* January 2024: Began assembling electric vehicles in Nigeria.
* February 2024: Officially launched EV brand at the Lagos Auto Show.

Assembly Plant:

* Located in Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria.
* Has an installed capacity of 2500 electric vehicles annually.

Additional Information:

* Saglev has plans to introduce two models initially with semi-knocked down (SKD) assembly before transitioning to complete-knocked down (CKD) and complete built-up (CBU).
* The company's CEO is Sam Faleye.

You can find more information about Saglev on their website: (https://saglev.com/)

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:19am On Jun 28

Yes, Dr. Gbenga Samuel Faleye, the CEO of Saglev, is a Nigerian. This is evident from various sources, including interviews and articles on Saglev's website and other news platforms.

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:24am On Jun 28

I don't really know what qualifies a company to be called a 'manufacturer'.
I was trying to understand how there's an EV manufacturer in Nigeria and there was no noise about it till they were done with their first product...

Then after my research, I was like, “Oh, nevermind.”

Apparently, they are actually just a assembling plant, directly shipping in and assembling parts from well established brands...

(I don't disapprove or anything, I actually like the idea because it brings faraway technology to our doorstep and cuts costs + shipping complications)

That being said,

Here's all the pictures I gathered (showing each Saglev product and the original copy):

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:29am On Jun 28
Observe the logos.

On Saglev's website, they also listed the cars they have in stock.

So I just screenshotted them and compared with the original releases of those cars.

Here you see the Voyah as seen on Saglev's website and Wikipedia.

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:33am On Jun 28
Here you can see Saglev City Buses on Saglev's website and Higer Buses from Higer's own website.

Observe the Logo and the design

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:39am On Jun 28
Next stop, you see the Saglev JF-A08EV on Saglev's website, which matches the Dongfeng Minibus. (Dongfeng is the same company that originally owns the Voyah car that Saglev introduced at Lagos).

Compare the logos.

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:44am On Jun 28
Lastly, we have the Saglev's M-Hero 917 which corresponds to Domfeng's MHero 917 (also called Dongfeng Mengshi if I'm not mistaken).

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 1:45am On Jun 28
Ladies and gents, that's the end...

The only thing I'm slightly frowning at is the fact that Saglev is retaining the logo of other cars on 'their' car.

Shouldn't they rip out all those carry come logo and put theirs? ??

1 Like

Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by InkVerseHub: 9:05am On Jun 28
So the company is just shipping in Chinese cars and claiming to be a manufacturer? cool
Re: More Info On The 'made In Nigeria' Electric Car That Was Seen In Lagos by PulsingPurple(m): 11:48am On Jun 28
InkVerseHub:
So the company is just shipping in Chinese cars and claiming to be a manufacturer? cool

Apparently, yes.

It's still a nice business model tho...

(1) (Reply)

Claim Our Data Usage Is Going Up / Buy Used Cars From USA! / Public Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.