Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,498 members, 7,944,442 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:32 PM

Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately (1166 Views)

Obi Urges Nigerians To Denounce & Reject Ag's Office Holding Workshop In London / Reinstate Betta Edu As Minister , AUF Urges President Tinubu / Peter Obi Urges Youths To Take Back Nigeria In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by bennybuhari: 7:33pm On Jun 29
Former governor of Anambra State and presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 election, Mr Peter Obi, has called on President Bola Tinubu to release the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and other people still in detention.

Addressing reporters in Onitsha on Saturday, Obi said, for instance, that he did not see any need for the continued detention of Kanu, especially when the court had granted him bail.

He said: “Government must obey the law as the rule of law is an intrinsic asset that we must cherish and live with. And I have always said that I am going to discuss with every agitator.

” I plead with with government to ensure that all those who are in similar conditions are released and discussed with. We are a democratic nation and we should not be doing things that are arbitrary and not within the law.”

He also called on Nigerian leaders to double their efforts in securing the country saying, “The primary work of government is the security of lives and property.

According to Obi, security is the foundation on which people can live in any nation because no one can stay in an insecure place.

“Like I always say, the primary duty of any government is security of life and property. It is the foundation on which people live in a nation because nobody can stay in an insecure place.

“And it is worrisome what is happening in Nigeria where people wake up everyday with
news of killings, abductions and kidnappings, which have made Nigeria one of the most insecure place on the surface of the earth and it requires urgent attention”.

He particularly spoke about the state of insecurity in the South East, advising the governors of the zone to come together to be able to tackle the problem.

“As I thank the governments in the zone for their efforts, there is need to do more. I want our governors to come together as a family to solve this problem. I am saying this with the little experience I had when I was there.

“As the federal government appears to have overshadowed everybody, the governors should urgently come together. They can even invite those of us who had been there to interact with them to chart the way forward.

“Yes, there was an attempt in the past that failed, but I don’t believe in failure. There should be more effort to make it work. They should also work with security agencies, vigilante groups to achieve the desired objective.

“Even in economic agenda, I want to see the South East governors work closely more. We want to see them come together and also bring together other groups in the zone.”

Obi also spoke on protests, stressing that while he supports peaceful protests, he is opposed to riots and destruction of government assets.

“I’m against destruction of government assets and property, because it is still our scarce resources that we are going to use to repair them.

“Peaceful protest is allowed, but it must be for a reason and not personal interest of some people. It must be properly articulated and properly directed.

“I recall when people said they were protesting police brutality and I said to them no, let’s rather deal with the leadership issue.

“If we have good leaders, their agents can’t be bad. The problem is leadership. If the leaders are competent, have the capacity and doing the right thing, their agents will follow their examples.

“I want to use this opportunity to call that all those who are being held because of one protest or the other should be released, whether they are freedom fighters, EndSARS protesters because there is freedom of speech..

“We are a democratic country and people have right under the constitution to express themselves freely. They also have right to peacefully protest and we must listen to them.

“We must listen to those who say they are not happy, that is why it is a democratic nation. We should stop acting dictatorial and behave as if this is not a democratic country.

“I know we are in a state capture, but then, we should act in a manner that shows some decency.”

On whether there are plans for him to join other politicians to form a mega party, Obi said: I’m more particular on how the poor Nigerians can feed. I will rather talk about things that are affecting Nigerians today. We politicians are preoccupied by election, and that is not what I’m after. I’m talking about how we can reduce the prices of food?

“Our people are dying of hunger. How do we make life more conducive for the poor Nigerian? How do we make our people to earn more money? How do we pull people out of poverty? That should be our concern, and not forming a mega party.

“But if forming a mega party will provide all these things I have illustrated, then I’m all for it. But if it is for state capture, so that you can take power and continue with the consumption, consumption, consumption, that we see today, I will say no. But if it is to move it to production, production, production, then I say yes.”

https://thescrutinyng.com/index.php/2024/06/29/peter-obi-urges-president-tinubu-to-release-nnamdi-kanu-immediately/

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Chivisee: 7:35pm On Jun 29
The only condition is for obi the criminal to replace him at kuje!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Namaster: 7:37pm On Jun 29
Tinubu is a REAL fuccck up guy.

Otherwise, this FOOL would have been bunkmate with Kanu.

Imagine going on the News to say there is no reason to imprison the FOUNDER of a terrorist organisation.

Same guy that fomented UNREST in an entire region.

If there was NO reason to detain him, he wouldn't have FLED in the first place. He is guilty of TREASON and should remain in prison FOREVER.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Smithkafors(m): 7:37pm On Jun 29
Chivisee:
The only condition is for obi the criminal to replace him at like!

I really don’t know where you people fall out from. No logical reasoning……if it’s not Tribalism, it is voting ba
D leaders!.
Nawao.

8 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Paraman: 7:38pm On Jun 29
Nnamdi Kanu won't be release, Gbajue can do his worst

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 7:43pm On Jun 29
When dolts like you talk..it's shows how worthless your upbringing was.

Chivisee:
The only condition is for obi the criminal to replace him at like!

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 7:46pm On Jun 29
You don't even know that Peter Obi is even trying to salvage NIGERIA.

Internationally BIAFRA as a Nation has been recognized.

You guys don't just get it...

Nnamdi Kanu is coming out from detention into BIAFRA Nation as a Living man.

You are just slow and shallow to understand why the Northern oligarchy is crying everywhere.

BIAFRA has a firm footing in the committee of Nations and you worthless NIGERIA is now a Joke.

Paraman:
Nnamdi Kanu won't be release, Gbajue can do his worst

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by sleek214(m): 7:46pm On Jun 29
Ipob man

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 7:47pm On Jun 29
What do you expect from people who worship failed entities they call elders like TINUBU. grin

Smithkafors:

I really don’t know where you people fall out from. No logical reasoning……if it’s not Tribalism, it is voting ba
D leaders!.
Nawao.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by yarimo(m): 7:49pm On Jun 29
Obi is the real commander of IPOB and unknown gun men killing innocent people in the east

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 7:49pm On Jun 29
Who released

Sunday IGBOHO
Miyetti Allah

Shey na TINUBU...

You losers don't have brains..

Pathetic

sleek214:
Ipob man

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 7:51pm On Jun 29
Yyba..

Miyetti Allah people just killed 8 people in iseyin today..

Where is Sunday IGBOHO
Where is Amotekun
Where is opc

Where is the OBA of ILORIN? grin

yarimo:
Obi is the real commander of IPOB and unknown gun men killing innocent people in the east

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:54pm On Jun 29
Yaribanzaonic:

You are just slow and shallow to understand why the Northern oligarchy is crying everywhere.

BIAFRA has a firm footing in the committee of Nations and you worthless NIGERIA is now a Joke.

Please mention the countries that have recognized Biafra?

Also, mention the committee of Nations that Biafra belongs to?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Esama: 8:01pm On Jun 29
In as much as I want government to release Nnamdi kanu this man should shut up talking about his release will only keep his day longer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 8:07pm On Jun 29
So you will go and write Nonsense?

A deadline and an announcement date has been affixed.

You will hear of it soon.. cool

SangoOlukosoOba:

Please mention the countries that have recognized Biafra?

Also, mention the committee of Nations that Biafra belongs to?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 8:34pm On Jun 29
Yaribanzaonic:
So you will go and write Nonsense?

A deadline and an announcement date has been affixed.

You will hear of it soon.. cool

Okay! Till then…

24 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 8:36pm On Jun 29
Yeah...till then. cool

SangoOlukosoOba:

Okay! Till then…

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by CrushObituaries: 8:45pm On Jun 29
The terrorist sponsor bitter grievingory Obi has finally shown his empathy for terrorism and tribalism after he was shameful defeated , he is showing his inbuilt terrorism and unabated grieves

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Okoroawusa: 8:46pm On Jun 29
Your headline is different from what the man said in the interview.

Mynd44

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Okwyjesus(m): 8:50pm On Jun 29
bennybuhari:
Former governor of Anambra State and presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 election, Mr Peter Obi, has called on President Bola Tinubu to release the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and other people still in detention.

Addressing reporters in Onitsha on Saturday, Obi said, for instance, that he did not see any need for the continued detention of Kanu, especially when the court had granted him bail.

He said: “Government must obey the law as the rule of law is an intrinsic asset that we must cherish and live with. And I have always said that I am going to discuss with every agitator.

” I plead with with government to ensure that all those who are in similar conditions are released and discussed with. We are a democratic nation and we should not be doing things that are arbitrary and not within the law.”

He also called on Nigerian leaders to double their efforts in securing the country saying, “The primary work of government is the security of lives and property.

According to Obi, security is the foundation on which people can live in any nation because no one can stay in an insecure place.

“Like I always say, the primary duty of any government is security of life and property. It is the foundation on which people live in a nation because nobody can stay in an insecure place.

“And it is worrisome what is happening in Nigeria where people wake up everyday with
news of killings, abductions and kidnappings, which have made Nigeria one of the most insecure place on the surface of the earth and it requires urgent attention”.

He particularly spoke about the state of insecurity in the South East, advising the governors of the zone to come together to be able to tackle the problem.

“As I thank the governments in the zone for their efforts, there is need to do more. I want our governors to come together as a family to solve this problem. I am saying this with the little experience I had when I was there.

“As the federal government appears to have overshadowed everybody, the governors should urgently come together. They can even invite those of us who had been there to interact with them to chart the way forward.

“Yes, there was an attempt in the past that failed, but I don’t believe in failure. There should be more effort to make it work. They should also work with security agencies, vigilante groups to achieve the desired objective.

“Even in economic agenda, I want to see the South East governors work closely more. We want to see them come together and also bring together other groups in the zone.”

Obi also spoke on protests, stressing that while he supports peaceful protests, he is opposed to riots and destruction of government assets.

“I’m against destruction of government assets and property, because it is still our scarce resources that we are going to use to repair them.

“Peaceful protest is allowed, but it must be for a reason and not personal interest of some people. It must be properly articulated and properly directed.

“I recall when people said they were protesting police brutality and I said to them no, let’s rather deal with the leadership issue.

“If we have good leaders, their agents can’t be bad. The problem is leadership. If the leaders are competent, have the capacity and doing the right thing, their agents will follow their examples.

“I want to use this opportunity to call that all those who are being held because of one protest or the other should be released, whether they are freedom fighters, EndSARS protesters because there is freedom of speech..

“We are a democratic country and people have right under the constitution to express themselves freely. They also have right to peacefully protest and we must listen to them.

“We must listen to those who say they are not happy, that is why it is a democratic nation. We should stop acting dictatorial and behave as if this is not a democratic country.

“I know we are in a state capture, but then, we should act in a manner that shows some decency.”

On whether there are plans for him to join other politicians to form a mega party, Obi said: I’m more particular on how the poor Nigerians can feed. I will rather talk about things that are affecting Nigerians today. We politicians are preoccupied by election, and that is not what I’m after. I’m talking about how we can reduce the prices of food?

“Our people are dying of hunger. How do we make life more conducive for the poor Nigerian? How do we make our people to earn more money? How do we pull people out of poverty? That should be our concern, and not forming a mega party.

“But if forming a mega party will provide all these things I have illustrated, then I’m all for it. But if it is for state capture, so that you can take power and continue with the consumption, consumption, consumption, that we see today, I will say no. But if it is to move it to production, production, production, then I say yes.”

https://thescrutinyng.com/index.php/2024/06/29/peter-obi-urges-president-tinubu-to-release-nnamdi-kanu-immediately/

Obi is smart with the call so that when Tinubu does that he will steal the credit.
Tinubu will release Kanu before 2027 election.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Cabalgeneral: 9:05pm On Jun 29
bennybuhari:

God punish this gay occultist disgusting person

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Cabalgeneral: 9:06pm On Jun 29
Namaster:

Imagine going on the News to say there is no reason to imprison the FOUNDER of a terrorist organisation.

If there was NO reason to detain him, he wouldn't have FLED in the first place. He is guilty of TREASON and should remain in prison FOREVER.

Absolutely.
Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by DMerciful(m): 9:23pm On Jun 29
Lunacy
Namaster:

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by blacknp(m): 9:27pm On Jun 29
Smithkafors:

D leaders!.
Nawao.
If not tribalism, one would wonder why this people will call for the release of a self confessed Terrorist.

These are he same people supporting Simon Ekpa.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by chopnaira: 9:29pm On Jun 29
Peter Obi is patron of IPOB terrorists. Not suprised.

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by richie240: 9:29pm On Jun 29
A potential presidential candidate championing the cause of terrorists just bcus of tribal affiliation. Na wah!

Definitely if an obi had 'entered', one of the first thing he would've done was to release not just kanu, but majority of his kinsmen presently convicted of crimes
cool

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by blacknp(m): 9:30pm On Jun 29
Yaribanzaonic:
What do you expect from people who worship failed entities they call elders like TINUBU. grin

https://gazettengr.com/south-east-ohaneze-begs-tinubu-to-give-igbos-more-political-economic-opportunities/
Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Christistruth00: 9:32pm On Jun 29
If they had called for a General Amnesty for every single Prisoner in Nigeria it would have made more sense and been more Honourable than asking for Kanu alone to be released

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by blacknp(m): 9:40pm On Jun 29
Yaribanzaonic:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 9:43pm On Jun 29
cheesy

[quote author=blacknp post=130720567][/quote]

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by Yaribanzaonic: 9:45pm On Jun 29
Tinubu a convicted drug guzzler is your PRESIDENT even though he can't even go to America as a sitting President. grin

What a disgrace...

If Tinubu enter America, he will be jailed and Shettima will be the HOS...simple

If Dem born am well , let him visit America.. grin

Christistruth00:
If they had called for a General Amnesty for every single Prisoner in Nigeria it would have made more sense than asking for Kanu alone to be released

Re: Peter Obi Urges President Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Immediately by blacknp(m): 9:47pm On Jun 29
Yaribanzaonic:
cheesy

E pain them shege.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Threatens To Terminate Lagos-calabar Coastal Road Project / Nigerian Politicians Turn Into Head-hunters / Buhari/Prof Pat Utomi The Best Team For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.