Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,799 members, 7,879,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 07:25 PM

There is no scientific explanation for hunger in Nigeria. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / There is no scientific explanation for hunger in Nigeria. (108 Views)

The Ondo Food Bank Of Amb. Samuel Egunjobi And Vision For Zero Hunger In Africa / Alleviating The Poverty Of Hunger And Starvation In NIGERIA And Afrika At Large / Africa Recorded Highest Hunger In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

There is no scientific explanation for hunger in Nigeria. by Tushed: 6:37pm On Jun 30
EXCEPT FOR A CURSE THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION FOR HUNGER IN SOUTHWEST NIGERIA.

There is no scientific explanation for a region where seasons are normally predictable; where sun shine in its own period and rain falls in due season to be in this state. There is no scientific explanation for a region where you can throw a seed of mango randomly beside the road, and in years to come, without anyone grooming the seed, one would find out the seed have grown to become another mango tree to lack food!

No war, no natural disasters(earthquakes, tsunamis volcanic eruptions etc), yet my people are complaining of hunger! How do we explain a people living in plain fertile land complain of hunger? What kind of disaster is ours?

Curse is the only explanation. Experts in philosophy have conducted thorough research ere this conclusion was reached.

Our curse must be cured.

Away from that, we must not be hypocritical about what food items should be. For instance, we want to show people we are eating corn flakes(processed Zea mays-var avarta cum sacharrata), we despise eating whole unprocessed corn! Is that not funny?

In the same vein, we despise garri and yam and turn foreign rice to our staple( we have forgotten that garri is not less carbohydrate than rice.)

Dear friends, I must be emphatic that there are seven classes of food. Carbohydrate (Cn[H20]2n ) is one and it is the prime energy giving food. So if rice and garri become expensive we can shift to corns. Let me tell you authoritatively that unprocessed corns contain proteins(don't be suprised), fats ,minerals, vitamins, fibres and even anti-oxidants in sufficient quantities for us to survive this period of transition.

Foreign rice are polished and contain less fibres than required by the body.

Be those as they might, how did rice which used to be a delicacy wriggle it's way up to become our staple?! Like my friend Oga Sabinus Sabinus TV would say 'nor be juju be that?'

In Ikale for instance, we ate pupuru. They eat pounded yam in Ekiti, how did rice come in all the way from Thailand and supplant these?

It happened because Nigeria is a country of 220million people who refuse to grow their own food. The resultant effect of unidirectional food importation(esp. rice)on our fragile economy is better imagined.

Plants pre-exist animals. Even Solomon in his glory is not as adorned as they are. Jesus Christ spoke about this in the Bible(Matthew 6:29 and Luke 12:27). I have grown to learn from plants and fall in love with Nature through them.

A couple of years back( lest we forget), we were studying Nitrogen Fixation in leguminous( proteinous) plants in mutualism with Azotobacter, Rhizopous and couple of other microbes. Man is yet to synthesize their own food from the abundance of the atmosphere as the plants are doing. A feat plants have achieved. Man is still busy waging wars against themselves.(It's not funny)

Carbohydrates( hydrated Carbon) is being synthesized in by green plants using the minute(0.04%)carbon IV oxide they find in the atmosphere.
So plants provide food for us so that we can later be eaten by them when we die...

So plants are wiser. They don't complain to anyone about food. They simply make use of what obtains to achieve what they want: food and perpetuity...

Coming to the main track, there is hunger in the land. Yes, there is. There shouldn't be. Our hunger stemmed from our hypocrisy. We place premium on certain food items thereby distancing foods away from what it is

I must thank Ikale people of predominantly Ondo South, Nigeria for making púpúrú, their staple, now of international standard. Dear Ikale people there are some of your staples that are now going extinct.
For instance ìpére(dwarf snail)and òkùkù are going extinct. There should be a way of rearing ìpére and òkùkù to a commercial scale.

Are we waiting for Chinese to come and teach us how? I bet it with you if China should get hold of them within months they will start exporting them back to us.

I want to see fried ìpére in the supermarkets, please.

Closing, there is hunger in the land. There shouldn't be. I implore us to plough the economic hours we waste on mountains praying for food back into the "art of ploughing the land" to plant crops and rear animals. I believe the president H E Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not the one to do that for us. He only owes us the conducive milieu.

God bless Nigeria 🌹

Ọ̀gbẹ́ni Bíọ́dún Ọjà
Honew Dew Estate,
Alagbaka, Akure
Nigeria.

Cc: Mynd44

Re: There is no scientific explanation for hunger in Nigeria. by thesolutions(m): 6:39pm On Jun 30
seconded.

The problem with south, especially south east, is that they are still practicing land tenure system and bush fallowing.
someone needs to talk to them.

Again, there is this fallacy that certain crops grows only in the north. This has to be addressed too.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sell Gift Cards / Benue Seedlings Call Or Whatapp+2347069670428 / Gives You The Ultimate Taste And Flavor Sensation: Mr Fog Max Pro Disposable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.