Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,015 members, 7,896,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:21 AM

Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections (10652 Views)

Rivers Crisis: Wike Defies Threats, Lands In Port Harcourt / Kaduna APC Releases Results For LG , Councillorship Aspirants Exams / Lagos Speaker, Obasa, Gives Mistress N34m To Organise Media, CSO Parley - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Man102: 7:05am On Jul 02
The political impasse in Rivers State continues unabated, with the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) boycotting a stakeholders’ meeting to discuss the conduct of local government elections in the state’s 23 councils.

POLITICS NIGERIA reports that the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission (RSIEC) has announced October 5, 2024, as the date for the election.

RSIEC Chairman, Justice Adolphus Enebeli (rtd), made the announcement on Monday at the Commission’s headquarters, amidst the absence of the two major political parties.

Chief Tony Okocha, the APC’s caretaker committee chairman, alleged that he received no official invitation.

“I was not invited. My party was not invited. My party is too big not to be officially invited for an event like that. I am too big to attend an event I was not officially invited. RSIEC refused to officially invite me as a chairman of a major opposition party in the state.

“I saw the information of the stakeholders meeting on social media. I was in the church on Sunday, and I sent a mail to the chairman of RSIEC, and he replied that APC was a major stakeholder. My party can only take part in the election if things are done right,” Okocha said.

Meanwhile, Hon Solsuema Osaro, the Rivers state chairman of the interparty advisory council (IPAC), confirmed that 17 out of 19 political parties in the state will participate in the elections.

“17 parties were in the stakeholder meeting. I want to thank the Governor, His Excellency Sir Siminalayi Fubara, for his determination to allow for the conduct of the elections. APC and the PDP were not in the meeting. We don’t know why they were not there. But I can assure you that the 17 parties at the meeting will gladly participate in the election,” he said

The Commission’s chairman, Justice Enebeli, speaking at the Parley said, “We are practicing the tenets of democracy. The tenets of democracy thrive on certain principles, which is what we are seeing here.

“The citizens have the right for political participation. The majority may rule, but that rule is counterbalanced by the rights of the minority.”

The stakeholders’ meeting was attended by security agencies, civil society organizations, the media, and other stakeholders.

There has a political crisis in the state, which began on June 17, 2024, when the tenure of former council chairmen loyal to Minister Nyesom Wike ended. The former chairmen resisted vacating their offices, citing an amended Local Government law, which they claimed extended their tenure by six months.

The governor, Siminalayi Fubara, eventually appointed caretaker chairmen committees for the council. He also mandated that protocols for the conduct of local government elections be made, immediately.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force subsequently have taken over the council secretariats, pending a federal high court judgment.

Source : https://politicsnigeria.com/rivers-crisis-continues-as-pdp-apc-shun-stakeholders-parley-for-lg-elections/

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by STEWpid(f): 7:58am On Jul 02
Chai..

Rivers people should fight the duo above and not remain docile.

Their fight is not the people's mandate.

None of them was ever elected by the people to fight personal interest!!

What a cORNflict!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by englishmart(m): 7:58am On Jul 02
Wike, amidst the heavy crisis in Rivers dooned himself in a stylish but unfashionable Versacci Gown with a short, careless security belt crossing, on the chest region in a gait that spells "I will burn down Rivers if my injunction doesn't stand. Fubara has got a very long first term.
Some arms were reportedly intercepted in Rivers state. Sophisticated weapons, man.
Rivers is very Rich in oil and they can easily acquire arms through bunkering.

"Wike should take it the way Amaechi took it. The people of Rivers should come out to Massee and protest against tyrant Wike. Enough is enough.

15 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by cjudy(m): 7:58am On Jul 02
Useless Politicians

1 Like

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Hemanwel(m): 7:59am On Jul 02
I don't know who's right or who's wrong in these Rivers' crises; one thing I know for sure is that someone is using federal power/might to create political instability in Rivers State in order to unseat the incumbent governor. Talk of abuse of power!

BTW:

Reeno Omokrii uses every opportunity that he has, from his abroad residence, to create tension in the country. Today he uses religious contents to instigate hate among the people, tomorrow he pitches other major ethnic groups against the SE. I wonder why the FG and the DSS haven't declared him wanted or called for his arrest.

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by PlayerMeji: 8:00am On Jul 02
Wike is losing more ground and he knows...
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Sultty(m): 8:01am On Jul 02
god bless pdapc

1 Like

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Inspirer1: 8:01am On Jul 02
This is absurd, first time such will happen with respect to the rulling party and its major opposition.
Is this signalling the possibility of porting...... sad
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Sermwell(m): 8:01am On Jul 02
This is what agbado munching nitwits want!! Confusion everywhere!
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by omooba05: 8:02am On Jul 02
Rivers of WIKE
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by honestivo(m): 8:04am On Jul 02
Wike has confused them again, same people crying for LGA election to be conducted , otapiapia as confused them as usual
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:05am On Jul 02
Rivers is Labour Party

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Darkjudge24: 8:05am On Jul 02
So which party the Government of Rivers State dey
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Curious345: 8:07am On Jul 02
The crisis in Rivers State I mean the political crisis in Rivers State is more of a tribal war.

The ikwerre who are the third ethnic group in Rivers State in regards of their population is trying to impose itself on the other two major ethnic groups the ijaw and the ogoni

1 Like

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Always82: 8:07am On Jul 02
That's give room for new party to come to power also.new party new RIVER.who care for those two gang of looooooters
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Ironbull: 8:08am On Jul 02
PDP not in the meeting and APC not in the meeting and you are saying the remaining political parties will carry on with the LG election. Pls how, when even Fubara party is not present so who want to conduct the election when Fubara party not present?

Is this a joke or what?

1 Like

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Odidigboigbo(m): 8:09am On Jul 02
This is the same Tony Okocha that was shouting that Fubara should conduct LGA election if he thinks he has the people behind him? I have told people that do not understand how LG elections works, there is no election in LG, is the governor that select, any other thing are mere formalities.

89 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Olatundex22(m): 8:09am On Jul 02
grin rivers politics no be joke
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by kelly72: 8:22am On Jul 02
Governor Sim should immediately empower LP in Rivers State. Afterall, the State gave their votes overwhelmingly to Obi in the last election and they won't have any qualms giving a bloc vote again and now Fubara is in charge so no criminal can change or rewrite the results again. Just go ahead and empower LP but still remain in PDAPC and ensure they destroy themselves before you leave

7 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Ojuntana: 8:23am On Jul 02
grin cheesy cheesy
SIM don twist their necks
It now shows that you can be in both APC and PDP and still lose election
This shows that the whole talk of structure is simply the power and influence attached to the office of a governor and not any political skill or ability. It is all about the acquisition and abuse of power

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by frankmoney(m): 8:24am On Jul 02
Lol... the worst thing apc did was handing that party over to the current chairman
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Odidigboigbo(m): 8:26am On Jul 02
Ironbull:
PDP not in the meeting and APC not in the meeting and you are saying the remaining political parties will carry on with the LG election. Pls how, when even Fubara party is not present so who want to conduct the election when Fubara party not present?

Is this a joke or what?
Baba be calming down, is there a law that says that major political party (PDP/APC) MUST participate in an election before an election can be legal?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Smartcitizen: 8:30am On Jul 02
THIS MAN IS COMING TO LABOUR PARTY.
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Ojuntana: 8:31am On Jul 02
Ironbull:

Is this a joke or what?
Fubara has said they no longer do party. This is a big slap on Wike minions and their narrow reasoning. They've been bragging that SIM dare not conduct LG elections cause he doesn't own the streets. Now here we are. He'll conduct it without the two main parties they were banking on grin grin grin
Talk about cunning man die, cunning man bury am

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Smartcitizen: 8:31am On Jul 02
kelly72:
Governor Sim should immediately empower LP in Rivers State. Afterall, the State gave their votes averwhelmingly to Obi in the last election 6and they wont have any qualms giving a bloc vote again and now Fubara is in charge so no criminal can change or rewrite the results again. Just go ahead and empower LP but still remain in PDAPC and ensure they destroy themselves before you leave

God bless you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by Ironbull: 8:34am On Jul 02
Ojuntana:

Fubara has said they no longer do party. This is a big slap on Wike minions and their narrow reasoning. They've been bragging that SIM dare not conduct LG elections cause he doesn't own the streets. Now here we are. He'll conduct it without the two main parties they were banking on grin grin grin
Talk about cunning man die, cunning man bury am

But Fubara is PDP so how can he conduct election without his party participation is that what INEC law or rule says?

1 Like

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by rigid123: 8:35am On Jul 02
Good news for Rivers people. Fubara should place his boys in LP or NNPP, declare them winners and swear them in cefini.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by wealthyprince(m): 8:37am On Jul 02
Ironbull:

Is this a joke or what?

Me I tire o
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by wealthyprince(m): 8:38am On Jul 02
rigid123:
Good news for Rivers people. Fubara should place his boys in LP or NNPP, declare them winners and swear them in cefini.

It may happen ..after all is not a governorship election.
Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by tishbite42: 8:43am On Jul 02
Na wa o
Make I dey watch this Fubara
The man dey calculate like mad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Crisis Continues As PDP, APC Shun Stakeholders’ Parley For LG Elections by tishbite42: 8:43am On Jul 02
rigid123:
This looks like the plan

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will NTA Ever Improve Their Pictures? / Anambra Approves N10.6bn For Road Projects. / PDP Chairmanship: Mimiko, Fayose Disowned By South-West PDP Exco Disowned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.