Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,492 members, 7,878,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 03:22 PM

Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 (3698 Views)

Nigeria To Seal Refinery Deal With S/Arabia H1, 2024, Despite Skepticism / Obi Might Be The Best Candidate For Nigeria, But Tnubu Is My Brother I Hate Igbo / 5 States That Received The Highest Revenue Allocation In H1 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by iwaeda: 7:10am
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s interventions may have failed to ease the country’s worsening economic hardship in the first half of 2024 despite the government’s Renewed Hope Mantra.

Economists and financial experts disclosed this in separate interviews with DAILY POST.

President Tinubu, a former Lagos State Governor, who celebrated his first anniversary in office on May 29th, 2024, has not found it easy to give Nigerians a vista of hope.

The development comes on the back of the recent approval by the Federal Executive Council for the disbursement of N555 billion to 100,000 families, with N50,000 payment for three months.

Recall that in October 2023, the President also approved the ‘Conditional Cash Transfer’, under the now-suspended minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu.

The scheme, which comes under the $800 million in loan support from the World Bank, was launched on October 17, 2023, by President Bola Tinubu.

Also, as part of the fiscal measure, the federal government recently approved zero tariffs, excise duties, and Value Added Tax on specialized machinery, equipment and pharmaceutical raw materials to bolster local production of essential healthcare products.

Other fiscal measures include a $3.3 billion crude oil-backed prepayment facility from Afreximbank, $2.5 billion World Bank loans to bolster Nigeria’s foreign exchange supply, and efforts by the Presidential Tax and Fiscal Policy Committee to increase taxes.

Despite the interventions, Nigerians have continued to groan over the impact of headline and food inflation which rose to 33.95 percent and 40.66 percent in May, 2024.

The implication is that the purchasing power of Nigerians has dropped in the face of the increasing misery index.

Worse, Nigeria’s debt burden rose to N121.67 trillion at the end of March 2024.

In the 1Quarter of 2024, the country spent $1.12 billion for servicing foreign debt on N3.94 trillion generated revenue in the same period.

This is as Naira weakened to N1508.99 per dollar at the official market on Monday amid several policies announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria; the latest was the discontinuation of the Price Verification System Portal for importers.

Speaking to DAILY POST on Monday, financial expert and the Chief Executive Officer of SD & D Capital Management, Gbolade Idakolo said Tinubu’s policies in the referenced period have not helped to alleviate the hardship on Nigerians.

According to him, welfare policies by the federal and the state governments were yet to be felt by Nigerians.

“My major concern about these measures is the parameters being used to determine those eligible for those grants for three months.

“These welfare policies of the Federal and the state governments have been seen not to get to the intended beneficiaries and the aim is always defeated in the long run.

“I also believe that this measure would not address the hardships being faced by the very poor citizens that these policies are targeted to assist because of continuous high food inflation and skyrocketing cost of living.

“The fiscal policies of Tinubu’s government in the first half of the year has not helped to alleviate the hardship introduced by its monetary policies. This has led to the unbearable situation the country found itself,” he told DAILY POST.

However, Muda Yusuf, the director, Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, CPPE, said the government has carried out a lot of policies but more needs to be done that will impact the generality of Nigerians.

He urged that the government should roll out more fiscal interventions in the agro-allied industry, construction, Iron and steel, and mining sectors.

“There is a lot the government can do via the fiscal policy level. In terms of direct support to the farmers, it is better to do it directly than through the state governments. I think through that, there should be an impact in terms of food production. I hope the state government will commit to this with all sense of sincerity.

“The measure can help the supply side. I am aware that there are also plans to have similar interventions to the real sector.

“The real sector is responsible for Fiscal Policy measures rather than monetary policy. Fiscal policies are more potent in driving production”, he said.

Prof Godwin Oyedokun, a don at Lead City University in Ibadan, said the recent N555 billion cash disbursement approval is a significant fiscal measure aimed at addressing the inflation-induced hardship faced by many Nigerians.

Oyedokun, however, explained that injecting a large sum of money into the economy could exacerbate inflationary pressures if not accompanied by measures to increase supply and stabilize prices.

“The fiscal measures introduced by President Tinubu, including the N555 billion cash transfer program, demonstrate a proactive approach to addressing the immediate economic challenges faced by Nigerians.

“However, the success of these measures depends significantly on the coordination with monetary policies to manage inflation and ensure overall economic stability.

“A holistic approach, combining short-term relief with long-term economic reforms, is essential for addressing the underlying issues causing inflation-induced hardship and achieving sustainable growth,” he told DAILY POST.

https://dailypost.ng/2024/07/02/tinubus-interventions-fail-to-tackle-nigerias-economic-hardship-in-h1-2024/

2 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Coolsperm: 7:13am
We Yoruba Muslims are very comfortable with the way things are going in the country, all this ipob ranting will not work, Yoruba Muslims are happy, ipob are suffering

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by biyllndry: 7:14am
Most Nigerians didn't expect it to work.

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by 001Lagos: 7:15am
You can't give what you don't have

This is the same failure that claimed he developed Lagos 😂

Do you guys know why Tinubu was rejected in this same Lagos that he claimed he built, because he's seen around the state as a failure.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Realtord43: 7:15am
Instead of Tinubu intervention, we are now facing Tinubu Tribulation of Hunger, Insecurity and Economy crisis

18 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by helinues: 7:20am
Toh

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by 001Lagos: 7:21am
helinues:
Toh
don't say anything else

13 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by helinues: 7:22am
001Lagos:
don't say anything else

I don't want some people to faint this morning, better to leave it that way

No be say winri winri no dey

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by 001Lagos: 7:23am
helinues:

I don't want some people to faint this morning, better to leave it that way

No be say winri winri no dey
Na person wey no know you and your activities on this forum go take you serious

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by UncleAdebisi(m): 7:24am
helinues:
Toh
Recruitment is ongoing at the federal secretariat.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by helinues: 7:26am

16 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Standing5(m): 7:50am
helinues:

You can't be creating on average of 10 monikers daily just to troll others, something you have been doing for over 7 years on this forum and still open that your dirty mouth to be calling others jobless

Don't you have an atom of shame?
keep shut.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Standing5(m): 7:51am
helinues:
Toh
Tah

11 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by UncleAdebisi(m): 7:54am
helinues:

You can't be creating on average of 10 monikers daily just to troll others, something you have been doing for over 7 years on this forum and still open that your dirty mouth to be calling others jobless

Don't you have an atom of shame?
I'm new here and this is the only moniker I have on nairaland. Need a job?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Sermwell(m): 8:02am
Tinubu is a disaster normally!

8 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by tefishy(m): 8:03am
Beans and garri wey be poor man don suddenly be rich man food.

Tinubu you do this one

7 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by STEWpid(f): 8:03am
Chai..

Oluwa gbawa,,

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by DevilsEqual(m): 8:03am
He's human afterall
But then, we're almost there. It reminds me of Pep Guardiola first season at Man City, they went trophyless and that was the last time

Like Pep, A Lil tweaking here and there, and we will start winning trophies back to back in all sectors of country

64 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Brendaniel: 8:05am
DevilsEqual:
He's human afterall
But then, we're almost there. It reminds me of Pep Guardiola first season at Man City, they went trophyless and that was the last time

Like Pep, A Lil tweaking here, and there and we will start winning trophies back to back in all sectors of country

Now you just confirmed to me that you guys see governance like football game, I'm not surprised though because you guys constantly told me during election period that politics is all about winning election and I tried to convince you guys otherwise but you guys never listened

If you guys really know how serious governance is, Tinubu would have been stoned the moment he made that statement in Ogun state

https://www.nairaland.com/7802865/only-tinubu-supporters-saw-nigeria

13 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by CrownedPhoenix: 8:06am
Value of the Naira dropped and costs of items skyrocketed!

Families can't no longer afford a decent living.

And some are here singing his praises to high heavens!

For what exactly? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Curious345: 8:06am
This government is the most useless government in the history of the black race

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by onuman: 8:07am
Does the persistent hardship stop the Mujahedeens that make up the bulk of Tinubu’s online support base, think twice? Religion is an opium.

4 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Jamiubond009(m): 8:11am
They will flood the thread soon grin

5 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Jamiubond009(m): 8:11am
shocked
embarassed
Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by lexy2014: 8:13am

“The fiscal measures introduced by President Tinubu, including the N555 billion cash transfer program, is a proactive approach to addressing the immediate economic challenges faced by Nigerians.

How can a professor say this? How is dashing people free money a "proactive approach addressing the immediate economic challenges faced by Nigerians"?

2 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Bullfallo(m): 8:13am
Why wre i 3rd quarter and things are still very much hard. And you are talking about 1st quarter….
Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by nnamdi640: 8:14am
He has destroyed the country economy and has no clue of what to do, I feel sorry for Nigerians that refused to vote for him but no pity for those that voted for him, they really deserved what they vote for.

4 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by lexy2014: 8:14am

“The fiscal measures introduced by President Tinubu, including the N555 billion cash transfer program, is a proactive approach to addressing the immediate economic challenges faced by Nigerians.

How can a professor say this? How is dashing people free money a "proactive approach addressing the immediate economic challenges faced by Nigerians"?

6 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by WaleBuraimoh: 8:14am
DevilsEqual:
He's human afterall

Like Pep, A Lil tweaking here, and there and we will start winning trophies back to back in all sectors of country
Continue to deceive yourself and your household.

aja to ba fe sonu on gbo fere ode

6 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by Bobloco: 8:14am
Tinubu is a monumental disaster

2 Likes

Re: Tnubu’s Interventions Fail To Tackle Nigeria’s Economic Hardship In H1 2024 by XXXsearch: 8:14am
APC came and grounded this country to zero

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cabinet: Governors Protest Rejection Of Nominees / Bloodshed Will Occur In Nigeria On January 25--prophet Okafor Predicts / Ihedioha's Moves - My New Speaker?...God forbid

Viewing this topic: ayuse(m), PUNANI01, Chinoval and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 1
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.