Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,448 members, 7,894,907 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 05:31 PM

Our Kids Will Be Great. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Kids Will Be Great. (65 Views)

Over-working Our Kids In The Name Of Education. / Walahi Before Nigeria Can Be Great Again..e Go Tey! Another Nigerian Did This! / ASUU Strike: My Kids Will Not Attend Public Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Kids Will Be Great. by topdigitaladv(m): 9:42pm On Jul 02
Years ago when I first moved to England for my Masters, I arrived a month before resumption. This gave me time to familiarize myself with my new environment. I even went to 3 other cities and Liverpool stadium before school resumed. But this is not about my Masters, it is about how money makes education easy and the theft of poverty.

Because I resumed early, I was privileged to attend induction. During the induction, different groups of students approach you to convince you to join their club - football, basketball, travel group, foreign language class, volunteer group that visit small villages abroad, student support, music, among many others. This was a luxury I couldn't afford.

As interesting as it looked, the Nigerians at the induction were few. Many resumed late because they were trying to raise funds to complete the part payment of their fees, haven't gotten visa or haven't bought flight tickets. Now, during induction, we were taken round the faculty, shown how to use the library, helped to pick our courses, taught how to answer questions and how to make research. Oh we were fed (although I wasn't impressed with the food. I joked with the Dean of the faculty who was a Nigerian and he lamented how we were given snacks. As a Nigerian, he would have preferred real food 😂😂). But yeah, we were fed too. Let us progress.

Now privileged kids who have paid their fees, either out of pocket or through government support, get to have a good go from the beginning of school. They go to class, do a lot of reading, join their selected club for recreation and retire for good sleep. The Korean community are either studying or having group fun. My Saudi friend made me realize everyone from Saudi Arabia was on government scholarship and all fees were paid ahead and they get allowances. My Spanish friend got enough allowance from government he gambled £2k playing chess online the day he got the alert. I just shook my head and told him he has learnt a good lesson early. He was 21.

Now, the disprivileged ones who already came late, are usually out and about looking for work so they can pick shift as soon as possible. You can't blame them, they have bills to pay and they can't call home. People are doing Masters and sending money home. The disparity in privileges give you a mental picture of the reality of our lives. Privileged people go for paid and unpaid IT because they don't have to think about shift, food or anything - except excellence. Disprivileged people are working 6 days a week. You see people come from night shift and head straight to class. From class they get 3 hours sleep, eat and go for another shift. Some can't even do their assignment themselves because of exhaustion and lack of time.

It is hard building relationship with your coursemates when you're barely making attendance because you're always picking shifts. You can't be avaliable for class bonding. If you don't bond, how will they know you enough to invite you for social events? How will you be connected to the next person that is connected to the next person? Even of they invite you, will you drop your shift? You need that £100

Now, by the time Masters come to an end, the Saudis go home to Riyadh, the Koreans are back to Seoul, the Chinese are back to Shanghai to pick up jobs. Even if they wanted to stay, the UK is happy to have them because of where they come from. Even my Kenyan friend went back to Nairobi. The disprivileged Nigerians were hustling for any type of COS, doing more masters or *getting married*

People do what they have to do and I'm full of praise for the rigidity of the Nigerian spirit to survive against all odds. But I appeal to you to do your best to give your kids the life you didn't get. They don't have to pick shifts like you and make half class attendance, they can join student clubs and enjoy the opulence of good education. They can study with peace of mind. They can make friends and have relationship. They can travel. They can dedicate 10 years of their life for undergraduate studies to Doctorate without losing sleep over fees and food. I hope life is kinder to you. Our kids will be great. Blessings 🙏🏾

(1) (Reply)

Rejoice With The Successful, Follow Their Steps And Get The Result They Got / Get All JAMB Recommended Books For Free / What Are The Risks Of Using Assignment Writing Services?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.