Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:30 PM

Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership (28936 Views)

Appeal Court To Deliver Ruling On Rivers Assembly Speakership Tomorrow / Fubara Bars All LG Heads From Appearing Before Amaewhule-Led Rivers Assembly / Police Repel Attacks On Rivers Speaker, Martins Amaewhule; Scores Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by fergie001: 12:12pm
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has upheld the appeal of Rt Hon Martin Amaewhule and 24 others who approached the Court challenging the decision of the Rivers State High Court, which favored Victor Oko-Jumbo, the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.

It can be recalled that Justice CN Wali of the State High Court ruled in favour of Oko-Jumbo in a suit that restrained Amaewhule and twenty-four others from performing any legislative function and further declared their seats vacant, following their 'defection' from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

An interlocutory injunction was also granted against Amaewhule & 24 Ors, which has now been consolidated in the appeal.

The three-judge panel of the Appeal Court: Jimi Olukayode Bada, Hamma Akawu Barka and Balkisu Bello Aliyu JJCA, In suit No: CA/PH/198/2024, the appellate Court held:

i. That the plaintiffs had the rights to institute the appeal.

ii. That the plaintiffs record of Appeal is not invalidated and thus have life.

iii. That the Appeal Court has jurisdiction to hear the meat of the matter.

That "The Court vested with Jurisdiction to entertain the suit of Hon. Oko Jumbo and others is the Federal High Court and not the State High Court".

The trial court lacked the jurisdiction to hear the suit filed by the Respondent "

"That consequent upon the foregoing, the order of the trial court having been made without Jurisdiction is of no effect and is hereby declared null and void"

The Court held that only the Federal High Court and no other court has the jurisdiction to determine cases of tenures and vacancies of House of Assembly, Governors and President and not the State High Courts (Rivers State High Court Inclusive).

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by CilicMarin: 12:17pm
Wike Leads, We Follow...

Today is a very bad for the IPOB sponsored Fubara SIN.

You Learn Political Lessons From Today..

Wike 5: 0 Fubara.

97 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by EreluRoz: 12:19pm
Federal might. I so much dislike this Wike even though he worked for asiwaju. He's not someone to keep close

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by whnowz: 12:22pm
The Nigerian judiciary should be shut down. The whole system has been hijacked by bad politicians bent on turning the law on its head. The constitution is clear on the defection of elected officials, our judiciary is actually very stupid.

God will punish all of them and their supporters.

But where exactly in the judgement does it say Amawhule should remain speaker? Or Is the op trying to be disingenuous?

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Paraman: 12:22pm
Only the Federal High Court and no other court has the jurisdiction to determine cases of tenures and vacancies of House of Assembly, Governors and President and not the State High Courts (Rivers State High Court Inclusive)

Wike loyalists can now resume duty grin

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Paraman: 12:23pm
EreluRoz:
Federal might. I so much dislike this Wike even though he worked for asiwaju. He's not someone to keep close
Federal might was not used by Wike

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by topoftheworld(m): 12:25pm
Who can explain this to us in a layman form?

Who is winning, Wike or Sim

2 Likes

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Paraman: 12:26pm
topoftheworld:
Who can explain this to us in a layman form?

Who is winning, Wike or Sim
Wike

Only the Federal High Court and no other court has the jurisdiction to determine cases of tenures and vacancies of House of Assembly, Governors and President and not the State High Courts (Rivers State High Court Inclusive).

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by martin123: 12:27pm
Okay
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by SensetionalGoal(m): 12:28pm
Their problem not mine.

Fighting for self aggrandizement shouldn't be my problem sad

4 Likes

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Indispensable85(m): 12:30pm
Ipob hot tears everywhere. LolHaha
This ruling was easily predictable. Shame to those quack arise tv lawyers.

48 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by kingsways: 12:31pm
I saw nowhere the CA said the man remains Speaker

8 Likes

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Whalis: 12:32pm
When we told SIM not to listen to Obidense

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by UKEMY(m): 12:33pm
Indispensable85:
Ipob hot tears everywhere. LolHaha
This ruling was easily predictable. Shame to those quack arise tv lawyers.
Some of Una just no get sense,
Kano state is an Example of how the FHC and COA is being used to favour Everything APC.
I doubt if judges and their families will survive any uprising

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by VillagePipu: 12:34pm
UKEMY:

Some of Una just no get sense,
Kano state is an Example of how the FHC and COA is being used to favour Everything APC.
I doubt if judges and their families will survive any uprising

You go cry taya.
Akpu Obidients grin

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by UKEMY(m): 12:36pm
whnowz:
The Nigerian judiciary should be shut down. The whole system has been hijacked by bad politicians bent on turning the law on its head. The constitution is clear on the defection of elected officials, our judiciary is actually very stupid.

God will punish all of them and their supporters.

But where exactly in the judgement does it say Amawhule should remain speaker? Or Is the op trying to be disingenuous?
Judiciary is messed up,I won't advice any body to use the Court.
The best solution now is to bring down your opponents.
I expected Fubara to have roped those yeye Ex-chair and legislooters with sponsoring terrorism and insurrection and also demolish Wikes Choiced properties all over Rivers state.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Shikini: 12:36pm
Wow
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by UKEMY(m): 12:38pm
VillagePipu:

You go cry taya.
Akpu Obidients grin
It's not about Obedient but I stand for what is right.
I'm a Wike Fan as FCT Minister but his arrogance and disrespect for his Governor should not be Tolerated.
I blame the Mumu NGF.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by EponOjuku: 12:39pm
UKEMY:

It's not about Obedient but I stand for what is right.
I'm a Wike Fan as FCT Minister but his arrogance and disrespect for his Governor should not be Tolerated.
I blame the Mumu NGF.

May the people you help treat you how Fubara is treating Wike.

97 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by jlinkd78(m): 12:39pm
Hi
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by RaySimran: 12:40pm
It's not mention anywhere in the article, thus the headline is misleading.

But can a higher court declare another as lacking in jurisdiction ?
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Ezmans: 12:40pm
CilicMarin:
Wike Leads, We Follow...

Today is a very bad for the IPOB sponsored Fubara SIN.

You Learn Political Lessons From Today..

Wike 5: 0 Fubara.
fake news
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Postinor: 12:41pm
Wike na man you be, anybody obediots support must lose

13 Likes

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Tjra: 12:41pm
Wike 2 : Fubara/Obidients 2

Game on. Lets see the last man standing.

Just watch how Obidients who have never stepped foot in Rivers state their entire lives will start weeping on the thread.

When court judgement favours them, it is victory for democracy. But when it does not, the judiciary is corrupt. Very confused crybabies.

You leave your region's politics come dey chook mouth for Rivers state. Same nonsense they did in Lagos and most recently Abuja. Busybodies.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Ezmans: 12:41pm
EreluRoz:
fake news

2 Likes

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by yarimo(m): 12:41pm
Some people will be admitted into hospital today chaiii 🤣🤣 as e dey sweet us e dey pain Dem as e dey pain Dem e dey sweet us

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by jchioma: 12:42pm
Nigeria! We wail thee …
One step forward. Two steps backwards
Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Shattuck(m): 12:42pm
Shame

1 Like

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Afamed: 12:43pm
Good

1 Like

Re: Amaewhule Remains Speaker: Appeal Court Rules On Rivers Assembly Speakership by Afamed: 12:43pm
Shattuck:
Shame

Cry cry baby

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Man Dashes Into NUJ Office, Says He's Tired Of Life And Wants To Die / Troops Neutralize Two Ipob/esn In Gun Battle, Recover Weapons In Imo State / Dele Alake: Tinubu Showed The Calibre Of His Team

Viewing this topic: samuel1981(m), circular(m), bhest(m), Commander93, Bright90s(m), Jefersoun, DoctorAyukebot(m), DAPZY34, LegacyB, Facidio, siriyke(m), gabbrri(m), MistaBen(m), DEmejioba1, Eluala(m), AdesegunSanni89, Zendinho(m), maddest, SIRAO(m), Mercisharelove(f), RecessionistPMB, Peacecore, QuantAnalyst, MrsX, sammie99, bigazu(m), yeko68, maxkenny, tunjiajayi, Donangelo(m), wale8486, XOGBADO(m), ALLWILBWELL, kibbutz123, caleb4life(m), olayemi85(m), shankara7, buhariguy(m), moshuur(m), Walterlucky, monarck, Nerogee(m) and 117 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.