Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,019 members, 7,896,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:31 AM

Nigeria's Image Needs A Change - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Image Needs A Change (291 Views)

Constabulary Tarnishing Police Image, Needs Separate Uniform – Arase / Kyari: FG, Police Have Badly Sullied Nigeria’s Image / Kyari: FG, Police Have Badly Sullied Nigeria’s Image (Punch Editorial) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:12pm On Jul 05
I was chatting with a facebook friend from Lesotho and she said things about Nigerians that got me really sad.

So this is how many Nigerians are seen by outsiders?

We need a change o

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Goodvibes007: 3:15pm On Jul 05
*Sell drugs*

We know them. Same story in South Africa, Thailand, India, Hongkong, Pakistan, Afghanistan and many other places.

Just go on Reddit and type Nigerian drug dealers Thailand, then you would know how much Nigeria's image has been battered all because of quick money to build mansion they only stay in once a year in the villages.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Zaheertyler(m): 3:16pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:
*Sell drugs*

We know them. Same story in South Africa, Thailand, India, Hongkong, Pakistan, Afghanistan and many other places.

Just go on Reddit and type Nigerian drug dealers Thailand.
I know them as Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by helinues: 3:16pm On Jul 05
It starts from you and I.

How foreigners perceived you in particular could change their fixated beliefs/mindsets about Nigerians

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:17pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:
*Sell drugs*

Just go on Reddit and type Nigerian drug dealers Thailand.

This is really bad. I felt so ashamed today

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Goodvibes007: 3:17pm On Jul 05
Zaheertyler:

I know them as Nigerians
Gladly, foreigners are now specifically calling them out.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by JagabanB: 3:19pm On Jul 05
Why those on the Southern hemisphere h8 Nigerians so much is because of those selling drûgs there, but same people will come to make mouth to other Nigerians about how they are great travellers and developing other places.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:19pm On Jul 05
helinues:

How foreigners perceived you in particular could change their fixated beliefs/mindsets about Nigerians

You may be right but very little will change by my actions here when they over there do all these things
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Goodvibes007: 3:21pm On Jul 05
JagabanB:
Why those on the Southern hemisphere h8 Nigerians so much is because of those selling drûgs there, but same people will come to make mouth to other Nigerians about how they are great travellers and developing other places.
It's extremely bad. I travel outside Nigeria alot and I know first hand how much Nigeria's image has been battered. It will take a miracle to fix it.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by CyrusVI: 3:22pm On Jul 05
Sell drugsshocked
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Goodvibes007: 3:22pm On Jul 05
CyrusVI:
Sell drugsshocked
That lady is not lying.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:25pm On Jul 05
Cc. Antoeni
Natbrowny
Welcum
Sirchim
Finegirl
ibechris
Tochi
Kettykin
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by helinues: 3:26pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:

You may be right but very little will change by my actions here when they over there do all these things

I don't care about whatever any perception a foreigner might have had about Nigerians, if you meet me, you should be able to convince others that not all Nigerians are same.

The Nigerians who keep things real don't go out or associate much, most of those foreigners only met the few lousy ones amongst us

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:26pm On Jul 05
CyrusVI:
Sell drugsshocked

e surprise you abi?

Selling drugs is bad but I can't imagine kidnapping in a foreign country.
Na wah
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:27pm On Jul 05
helinues:

I don't care about whatever any perception a foreigner might have had about Nigerians, if you meet me, you should be able to convince others that not all Nigerians are same.

The Nigerians who keep things real don't go out or associate much, most of those foreigners only met the few lousy ones amongst us

You are right
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:31pm On Jul 05
JagabanB:

But you saw the list of the crimes she mentioned. Not just sales of drugs but also kidnapping and murder
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by helinues: 3:32pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:

You are right

The problem is people do because nobody around know them in abroad, they can do anyhow even if they might have been from a good home.

Some Nigerians would be sometimes buyingat a store/shop regularly, when they are broke they would request for credit which sometimes the foreigners do consider, the moment they have money like this, they won't even bother to pay the money again. How do you expect such seller to trust Nigerians again.

One person's sins, plenty go chop inside too

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:34pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:

It's extremely bad. I travel outside Nigeria alot and I know first hand how much Nigeria's image has been battered. It will take a miracle to fix it.

Please don't add to my pain.
I had always heard things like this I never knew it's this bad.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:36pm On Jul 05
helinues:

The problem is people do because nobody around know them in abroad, they can do anyhow even if they might have been from a good home.

Some Nigerians would be sometimes buyingat a store/shop regularly, when they are broke they would request for credit which sometimes the foreigners do consider, the moment they have money like this, they won't even bother to pay the money again. How do you expect such seller to trust Nigerians again.

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by JagabanB: 3:38pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:

But you saw the list of the crimes she mentioned. Not just sales of drugs but also kidnapping and murder
All from same people, if them are trying to do Nigerian accent, the accent they make is for same people.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by JagabanB: 3:40pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:

It won't take a miracle to fix it, it will take change to fix it.
I easily get crîmînaIized if people know u are a Nigerian, u naturally become a suspect amongst foreigners because of some people.
The experience is quite tèrribIe but it's same them making ñoisè onIine about traveIIing while we all bear the brunt of their stûpîdîty.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:44pm On Jul 05
JagabanB:

It won't take a miracle to fix it, it will take change to fix it.
I easily get crîmînaIized if people know u are a Nigerian, u naturally become a suspect amongst foreigners because of some people.
The experience is quite tèrribIe but it's same them making ñoisè onIine about traveIIing while we all bear the brunt of their stûpîdîty.

Na wah o!
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Justiceganduje: 3:45pm On Jul 05
helinues:

What do you do for a living?
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Welcum: 3:53pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:
Cc. Antoeni
Natbrowny
Welcum
Sirchim
Finegirl
ibechris
Tochi
Thanks for calling me. But, why did you call me?
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by mrvitalis(m): 3:54pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:
*Sell drugs*

Just go on Reddit and type Nigerian drug dealers Thailand, then you would know how much Nigeria's image has been battered all because of quick money to build mansion they only stay in once a year in the villages.
This is why Nigeria must rally around and push them out the way Singapore was pushed out by Malaysia

We can't continue sharing same country with then

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Welcum: 3:55pm On Jul 05
helinues:

But, if I may ask, since you know this and appear so clean, can you tell us why you throw so much of your weight behind political figures like Buhari and Tinubu?
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 3:55pm On Jul 05
Welcum:

Thanks for calling me. But, why did you call me?

We are looking for how to redeem our image overseas nah.
Make you put mouth for the matter
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Welcum: 4:01pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:
I was chatting with a facebook friend from Lesotho and she said things about Nigerians that got me really sad.

So this is how many Nigerians are seen by outsiders?

We need a change o

It's good you're calling for a positive change. But, let's also remember that Nigerians also have their good sides that people of other countries - even US - recognise us for. Example, we are said to be hardworking, resourceful, intelligent, etc. There are many Nigerians breaking records every now and then in North America, Europe, etc. For me, the major enemy of our good name are the kinds of administrators we keep producing.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Welcum: 4:10pm On Jul 05
mrvitalis:

This is why Nigeria must rally around and push them out the way Singapore was pushed out by Malaysia

We can't continue sharing same country with then
Selling drugs is bad. But, believe it or not, there are worse things about Nigeria than selling drugs. Examples...
1. Terrorism
2. The fact that our government keeps displaying that they are backing terrorism - by, for example, protecting killer Fulani herders but maltreating those protesting against them such as Kanu.

So, I think we should spend this energy on changing the political atmosphere first. Just like Helinues supporting the crop of administrators like Buhari and Tinubu and coming here to say what he's saying up there. Our leadership is the reason behind drug peddling just like terrorism and many other woes we are suffering.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 4:11pm On Jul 05
Welcum:

It's good you're calling for a positive change. But, let's also remember that Nigerians also have their good sides that people of other countries - even US - recognise us for. Example, we are said to be hardworking, resourceful, intelligent, etc. There are many Nigerians breaking records every now and then in North America, Europe, etc. For me, the major enemy of our good name are the kinds of administrators we keep producing.

While you might be correct that Nigerians also have their good sides that people of other countries recognise us for, I think the negative image is just too much.

I believe our leaders can do more to clean up this mess.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by Welcum: 4:14pm On Jul 05
RoyalUc:

While you might be correct that Nigerians also have their good sides that people of other countries recognise us for, I think the negative image is just too much.

I believe our leaders can do more to clean up this mess.
Can dirty water wash your clothing well. The leaders are dirty themselves and therefore, can never succeed in cleaning any mess.
Re: Nigeria's Image Needs A Change by RoyalUc(m): 4:17pm On Jul 05
Welcum:

Can dirty water wash your clothing well. The leaders are dirty themselves and therefore, can never succeed in cleaning any mess.

Too bad!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kwara LG Election: Meet Offa PDP Chairmanship Candidate / Share Your Experience Under This Tenure And Leave Your Farewel Message / Smart Number For Smart Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.