Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,871 members, 7,933,266 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:58 PM

New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments (29816 Views)

Kenya's Ruto Retains Former Ministers In New Cabinet Appointments / 10 Things To Know About New UK Prime Minister, Keir Starmer / King Charles Appoints Keir Starmer As UK Prime Minister (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by FreeStuffsNG: 7:49pm On Jul 05
Mayflowa:

It makes sense. But if it was in Nigeria, they will still not appoint the shadow secretary of any portfolio to substantive secretary. There will still be politics, beef and nepotism and it will take 3 months to resolve if ever
Nigeria used to have similar system during the 1st Republic. That's why Kings like Ooni were extremely powerful and influential.

Now , unlike the UK where traditional rulers are still powerful, we have relegated our own original traditional leaders to mere ceremonial roles and all the 100% public offices in the Legislative assembly are now elected representatives. The bulk of the Legislative power in UK is still with the monarchy and traditional rulers

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by free2ryhme: 7:50pm On Jul 05
omooba969:
How long did it take Buhari to appoint his incompetent ministers?

How long did it take Tinubu to appoint his trial & error ministers?

Western world na baba abeg! 👏👍

the same western world that is selling homosexuality to you

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by mipeesoft(m): 7:51pm On Jul 05
A sane country with modesty even in the midst of wealth but naija apc govt prefers to overload their cabinet and impoverish the citizens grin
iwaeda:

https://punchng.com/breaking-new-uk-pm-makes-10-cabinet-appointments/
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Ironbull: 7:52pm On Jul 05
anonimi:

You are the one who should use your brain to stop disturbing us with your crap.

What democracy do they have in Britain where the Head of State is a hereditary monarch who appoints the PM?

Is it because we don’t have shadow secretaries that Tinubu’s APC messiah used almost one year to nominate ministers, after winning the election at the fourth attempt

Ok, pls let's go back to Jonathan our Messiah oya tell me how many days did Jonathan spend to selected his minister oya I need answer?

I know you will still display your dumbness and hate by mentioning Tinubu.

Go back to Jonathan our own bro how many days did he used to select his minister, I guess 24 hours or 5 days ba?

I need answer....

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by toprealman: 7:53pm On Jul 05
This guy will be 1billion times better than the Indian who was only thinking like a broke ass! This guy means business. Eddy is back on the beat folk….hope they succeed this time. The Indian was like Tinubu, only talk , too much of it, clueless…
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by DeepSight(m): 7:57pm On Jul 05
iwaeda:
Nlfpmod, less than 10 hours after taking over. These are signs of leadership. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry grin grin grin grin

It took Buhari six months. As for the frog, he had to remove subsidies within one hour before appointing a cabinet two months later.

Nigeria we hail thee.

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Vision101(m): 8:05pm On Jul 05
Beremx:
Na so e suppose be! How long did it take Tinubu to put his cabinet together?

That's how it should be for a working government

This system of government is different. It's the parliamentary system. We had this in the 60s.

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by SoloCraft306: 8:06pm On Jul 05
This is high level of preparedness.
It shows how well this people have their people at heart and this is the meaning of hitting the ground not the other way round 🤣🤣🤣🤣. We must always tell ourselves the truth if we have to move forward.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Global2000: 8:06pm On Jul 05
In this our side. President will first of all go holiday go cool head. Come do consultation. After 6 months go come announce the names. If una no turn parliamentary system. Nigeria will remain like this.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Anonimoux: 8:07pm On Jul 05
It feels good knowing the Conservatives are gone for good. The liberals would be better I hope.
Conservatives always make a mess of things that's why they hardly go far in life.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Vision101(m): 8:08pm On Jul 05
Angelfrost:
Wow... Impressive!

My country will make you think such appointments require 6 months to a year.
You adopted complex and expensive presidential system.

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by XXCASH: 8:09pm On Jul 05
iwaeda:
Nlfpmod, less than 10 hours after taking over. These are signs of leadership. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry grin grin grin grin

FreestuffNG has said it all

Thats the benefit of parliamentary system of govt

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by commoditiesnig: 8:11pm On Jul 05
Goodvibes007:
Sharp sharp. That's why I love the Parliamentary style of governance. They will just elevate their shadow cabinet to take the steering wheel.
True. I think Parliamentary system of Govt is best to me. They simply nominate a PM candidate from among themselves.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by LadyExcellency: 8:13pm On Jul 05
FreeStuffsNG:

Not unexpected.

Many do not know that these are not really new appointments. These elected politicians were already the shadow ministers holding portfolios while in opposition, some of them have been holding their shadow minister portfolio position for years wink e.g Les Westing has being the shadow minister/ secretary for health for awhile and they interview them regularly on SkyNews TV channel and some other media platforms.

They just literally switched positions from shadow ministers to ruling party substantive cabinet ministers.

Btw,there are still about 1000 members of the House of the Lords, unelected Lords/Lawmakers, mostly hereditary Lords like our inheritable Chieftaincy title roles, King/PM-appointed Lords who these elected House of Commons members must always get their approval to get laws passed. We used to have similar system during the 1st Republic until the military scattered everything.

Despite the pomp and pageantry, UK is still a quasi democracy with strong monarchy control especially through the House of the Lords unlike our own full-fledged democracy. Check my signature for free stuffs!

Nigeria is not supposed to be a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by wonlasewonimi: 8:16pm On Jul 05
In this area, mad man like Gbaja will be collecting egunje from rogues to be nominated as ministers.. Beta edu says hello.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by WhizdomXX(m): 8:18pm On Jul 05
FreeStuffsNG:

Not unexpected.

Many do not know that these are not really new appointments. These elected politicians were already the shadow ministers holding portfolios while in opposition, some of them have been holding their shadow minister portfolio position for years wink e.g Les Westing has being the shadow minister/ secretary for health for awhile and they interview them regularly on SkyNews TV channel and some other media platforms.

They just literally switched positions from shadow ministers to ruling party substantive cabinet ministers.

Btw,there are still about 1000 members of the House of the Lords, unelected Lords/Lawmakers, mostly hereditary Lords like our inheritable Chieftaincy title roles, King/PM-appointed Lords who these elected House of Commons members must always get their approval to get laws passed. We used to have similar system during the 1st Republic until the military scattered everything.

Despite the pomp and pageantry, UK is still a quasi democracy with strong monarchy control especially through the House of the Lords unlike our own full-fledged democracy. Check my signature for free stuffs!
You and Helinues have erased my previous narrative that APC Nairaland supporters are not learned. I'm proud. It means you both can take rational decisions in 2027.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by bluefilm: 8:20pm On Jul 05
I don't even understand UK politics at all

It's like they are always changing their Prime Ministers every now and then?

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Alexiiydon: 8:22pm On Jul 05
chiiraq802:
Swift and snappy.
abi now Nobody is shouting mandate was stolen
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Alexiiydon: 8:24pm On Jul 05
Femich18:
When you see a government that knows their onus you ll Notice it immediately
Over here it takes them three to Six months after inauguration.
and nobody is going to the tribunal

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Afrobasic(m): 8:24pm On Jul 05
YoungLionken:
"Ten things to know about the UK PM, twenty things to know about the US president, thirty things to know about Putin's personal toilet, fifty things to know about the Chinese village goats, one thousand things to know about Kim Jong-Un's side chick first son.." And the list is endless. Whereas, these people barely knows anything about Africa (apart from their ever degrading news about us, thanks to CNN, BBC, etc), let alone Nigeria. All these azz licking must stop angry!!

How many of their citizens know much about Ken Saro-Wiwa, Herbert Macaulay, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, to mention a few angry!!!

Why the f should they give a hoot about the aforementioned people? Africa (and by extension Africans) seat quite comfortably at the bottom of the human ladder, our contribution to humanity is rather inconsequential. if we all disappeared today, the world would not change. I know you are about to drop an ad-hominem response to this, but I employ you to think critically/factually about the statement.

Maybe if we stopped voting in ultra-corrupt leaders, shunned nepotism/tribalism/religious extremism and voted in leaders that focused on human and infrastructural development, the likes of CNN and BBC would have nothing bad to report on. Reflect on this.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Afrobasic(m): 8:27pm On Jul 05
DeepSight:

It took Buhari six months. As for the frog, he had to remove subsidies within one hour before appointing a cabinet two months later.

Nigeria we hail thee.

Nairaland OG, I sight you 🫡🫡
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Afrobasic(m): 8:29pm On Jul 05
sparko1:

You expect this in Nigeria?

Nigeria is not like the UK, all the appointments can come from wherever, nobody cares, try appoint someone in Nigeria, the governor most okay it, senate, kings, emir, everyone that is somebody most be consulted.

Just keep quiet, if your are trying to compare, you can't, ordinary School SUG you won't do anything without consultation, Nigeria is unique.

Are you suggesting that this is a good thing?
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by ElSudani: 8:39pm On Jul 05
samsard:
It takes months to appoint mediocres in Nigeria.

We had a system similar to the British one at independence. As someone rightly pointed out many of the new ministers were already shadow ministers in opposition.
What we got from the military is a mess.

1 Like

Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by sparko1(m): 8:39pm On Jul 05
Afrobasic:

Are you suggesting that this is a good thing?

I am saying, just because you have to consult with important people doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

A country like Nigeria requires consultation, the only time consultation is not required is when we have a military rule.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by caye(m): 8:40pm On Jul 05
Zxcvbnmghtr:

By contesting?! grin

It's a game. He knew he would lose.
The whites play chess games a lot, below the surface.

You think you guys elect the P.minister or President in the US?
Hmmm...electoral college. Remember Hillary 2016(?) .
She won but the electoral college chose Trump.
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by tnerro1(m): 8:42pm On Jul 05
One man spent 6 months to appoint cabinet ministers and yet still failed woefully
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by PDPdestroyer(m): 8:48pm On Jul 05
I really hope these badluck Obituaries haven’t started supporting this innocent man. His failure will be epic! If in doubt, he should ask Saraki, Dino, GEJ, Atiku, Hoebee….the list of their casualties is inexhaustible
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:48pm On Jul 05
caye:

It's a game. He knew he would lose.
The whites play chess games a lot, below the surface.

You think you guys elect the P.minister or President in the US?
Hmmm...electoral college. Remember Hillary 2016(?) .
She won but the electoral college chose Trump.

I like your conjectures. grin
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by frog12: 8:53pm On Jul 05
these people don dey wait for a long time., never hear of them before shocked shocked shocked
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Charly68: 8:53pm On Jul 05
Our own leaders would wait for most a year before doing the needful
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by omooba969(m): 8:55pm On Jul 05
free2ryhme:

the same western world that is selling homosexuality to you

Lol 😂 you Nigerians are funny! grin
Re: New UK PM, Starmer, Unveils Cabinet Appointments by Dalohad: 9:09pm On Jul 05
PDP and Labour Party in Nigeria should appoint shadow minister to track what the APC minister are doing and keep records of every findings.

We cannot continue to allow APC run this country down by exhibiting absolute power.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards / Tanzania Shuts Down 5 Hydroelectric Stations To Reduce Excess Electricity / Crowds Watched A Man Electrocute Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.