Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,735 members, 7,895,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 02:22 PM

Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East (21278 Views)

Igbos Share Ancestral Links With Yorubas, But Many Don’t Know – Ooni Ogunwusi / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It / Olu Of Warri, Ikenwole, Ayiri Emami Cross Over To Ancestral Palace Across River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Gerhards: 10:10am On Jul 06
Myhusband:

If your story is true, it is very cruel of Iggbo that subject your ethnicity under such inhumane act

Does what he wrote make sense to you? their wives change their language, culture, tradition, names and everything, have you heard of such thing before? use your God given brain grin grin
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Orch1981: 10:10am On Jul 06
ribbit:
you woukd think they are attaching themselves to ikwere people because they love them but nope..

They have refused to develop their 5 plots of land because they lack the mental capacity to do it.
So they started attaching themselves to every igboish sounding name in south south because of oil and port harcout.

It's totally shameful.
So where is develop in Nigeria tell me develop place in Nigeria?
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Gerhards: 10:12am On Jul 06
oz4real83:
you have understanding problem, is it not obvious that Etche and Ngwa also migrated from Bini as already clarified in the post

Ikwerre is now the mouthpiece of Etche and Ngwa people, Aba is Ngwa if you don't know the rubbish coming out of your mouth

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Bitterkola100: 10:12am On Jul 06
LadyExcellency:
They deny affiliation with Igbos but claim they are siblings with Ngwas, Etches etc from the same Igbo tribes. How is that possible?
it means to say that etches and ngwas are descendants of the great bini.
Even onitsha wad founded by the binis.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Cherrybae(f): 10:13am On Jul 06
All the Ngwa lands belong to ikwerre. The Ngwas migrated and grabbed all the land and settled down.

In 1896, the Ngwas who were living together with the Etches had a communal clash which forced the Ngwas to separate from the Etches

Now in 1913, the Ngwas decided to join the Eadtern Region while Iwhurohna, Etche decided to remain on their own.

In conclusion, all Ngwa land in Abia state belong to ikwerre

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Amaggedon: 10:14am On Jul 06
Remman:
Where then in Igbo that the Ikwerres come from? It's not just by saying vague words. In the case where you have seven sons and the seven of them married from yoruba because they can't marry their own sisters who would eventually be married away by other strangers, in whose language would the children of your seven sons who would inherit the land speak?
Where is a geographical location which is totally not going to apply in this kind of arguement . As it is today a yoruba man can not birth 5 children from an igbo wife and not give any of the children a yoruba name . If the ikwerres were bini what were their bini name or which of the brothers has bini name? Because from the lists of the brothers they mentioned all has igboid names, so aside geographical location no other evidence that points that they were binis . DNA can also put this kind of arguement to an end. Its not about saying ikwerres are not igbos when so many facts are saying otherwise . Lets put aside names which place do you see men practicing the culture of the woman they married? This guys practically practice everything igboid, or do you want to argue that the binis has no culture as at then or did the igbo ladies they married came with their cultures to influence the bini culture? Binis has very strong cultural heritage and has stayed for centuries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Cj4charles(m): 10:15am On Jul 06
Paraman:
Ikwerres are not igbos
E don pain you tire say Okwere an Igbo and still Dey Ohanaeze Indigbo
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Orch1981: 10:15am On Jul 06
africanusvu:
Who ar these online igbos that cares much about ikwere relationship.wondering what an ikwere man hav for an igboman.if there is any.it shld be wit the ohaji igbos.i dnt see how an mbaise or nnewi man is related to ikweres.its all these biafra agitators that is caling on tribes wit no trace of igbones to become part of kanu brand of biafra.
Everything to you fools na biafra
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Gerhards: 10:15am On Jul 06
Cherrybae:
All the Ngwa lands belong to ikwerre. The Ngwas migrated and grabbed all the land and settled down.

In 1896, the Ngwas who were living together with the Etches had a communal clash which forced the Ngwas to separate from the Etches

Now in 1913, the Ngwas decided to join the Eadtern Region while Iwhurohna, Etche decided to remain on their own.

In conclusion, all Ngwa land in Abia state belong to ikwerre

I think you ate wrong Ewedu mix with over rotten Gbegiri grin

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by lacasera14(m): 10:16am On Jul 06
LadyExcellency:
If Etche and Ngwas are Igbos then logically Ikwerres are Igbos.

ahh....this is the modified ad hominem:
It could also mean Etche and Ngwa are not Igbos or the Igbos are Benin. Remember Onitsha is Benin.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by DmonSlayer10: 10:17am On Jul 06
Remman:
Intermarriage happens everywhere, since we settled closer to the igbos, our ancestors married Igbo daughters to avoid marrying their own siblings and somehow the Igbo daughters married into our land taught their children the Igbo language. And this practice happens till date where children found themselves speaking their mother's language. If the Igbos claim we came from them, let's hear their own Kanu and Ojukwu story about the ancestors of Ikwerres. Before the civil war, the Igbos came to settle in Ikwerre land and began to rename our streets bearing our true ancestral names to their language names. Now during the civil war they killed us and did a lot of evil to us whom they now claim is their brothers (since they're unaware of the language-work of their daughters married by our ancestors). Now, when the war was intensified, they ran away (why would they run if they owned the place?). When we saw how we were tricked by those tribes, we took back our properties they stole from us, we won the battle.
Lies and Propaganda!!

You're not an Ikwerre!!

You're a Yoruba Muslim.No Ikwerre will talk this thrash against his Igbo cousins..

No Ikwerre will seek to REWRITE history against the Igbos....for they now have realised how the Hausa-fulani millitary used DIVIDE and CONQUER tactics to create ethnic tensions between cousins!!

By the way,Ken Saro-Wiwa and his people(not Ikwerres) were the ones who spear-headed the attacks and seizures of Igbo properties during the war!!

But las las,how market?

To you TRIBAL AND RELIGIOUS BIGOTS and to my fellow yoruba muslims(Thankfully not ALL) try and free yourselves from being obsessed with Igbos so your life and this country will move forward...

Please realise that what you are doing is witchcraft and demonism...that is what is tying Nigeria down!!

f not,things will surely continue to get worse in this country..
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by MrLibrarian(m): 10:18am On Jul 06
MaziX:
Pikin wey say he no like him papa surname so he decide to use wetin he like.. make he remember say home will surely be home.

DmonSlayer10:

Lies and Propaganda!!

You're not an Ikwerre!!

You're a Yoruba Muslim.No Ikwerre will talk this thrash against his Igbo cousins..

No Ikwerre will seek to REWRITE history against the Igbos....for they now have realised how the Hausa-fulani millitary used DIVIDE and CONQUER tactics to create ethnic tensions between cousins!!

By the way,Ken Saro-Wiwa and his people(not Ikwerres) were the ones who spear-headed the attacks and seizures of Igbo properties during the war!!

But las las,how market?

To you TRIBAL AND RELIGIOUS BIGOTS and to my fellow yoruba muslims(Thankfully not ALL) try and free yourselves from being obsessed with Igbos so your life and this country will move forward...

Please realise that what you are doing is witchcraft and demonism...that is what is tying Nigeria down!!

f not,things will surely continue to get worse in this country..
attache by force stop all these show of desperation forcing yourselves on someone who has openly denied that he has no ties with you.
During the Civil war, Biafran soldiers invaded Rivers State, killed Ikwerre indigenes and renamed the towns and survivors with igbo names and engaged on ethnic cleansing of the Ikwerres

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Ngozi123(f): 10:18am On Jul 06
Gerhards:

He's a son of coward called Afon-/ja grin

I'm not surprised... His obsession with Ndigbo is unreal. I couldn't imagine spending my free time watching pan-Yoruba videos on YouTube undecided.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by erospecial: 10:20am On Jul 06
Ikwerre people said they are from Daura or Mushin in Lagos.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Cj4charles(m): 10:22am On Jul 06
Whalis:

Wikipedia lies can be written by anyone including you. If you want to know a people hear from them. This was how Igbos would write any ikwerre community before and attach Igbo to it. You would see things like Ikwerre-Igbo.
Have you seen Ngwa-Igbo before or Nkwerre-igbo or Obowu-Igbo? But as they knew ikwerre is not Igbo they would write ikwerre and attach Igbo to it.
All of you that have been trying to divide Igbo with your divide and rule syndrome will no work, we know who we are and cannot be divided
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Bulldozer90: 10:23am On Jul 06
AmazingELixir:
grin

The former Minister of Transportation said, “Ikwerre people should tell who they are and ignore all the stories being written about them. We will tell our story. Those who will play politics in Ikwerre land will project the image of the Ikwerre wherever they find themselves.”

This same Ubima lizard that went on air to proclaim he is ibo just to curry political support...ofcourse he would not turn up to the event...How would he spin this one when he has dropped a mighty poop on the pulpit.

Fear who no fear politicians.
stop believing what you read online. Can you show me any part of the article that claims Ikwerre are not Igbo nor have any link with south east?
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Lezzlie(m): 10:26am On Jul 06
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Soliddust3030: 10:26am On Jul 06
Gerhards:

What kind of influence can make group of people to forget their language, tradition, culture and names, this is so funny, Ngwa people you always called human eater here on Nairaland is no longer Igbos but Ikwerres, sick people full this country grin

You lack comprehension, I never spoke about Ngwa people or Ikwerres. I was talking to the other poster about Agbor, Igbankes and Iselle uku. I have head about their origins from both the locals and the binis.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by mancanoe: 10:27am On Jul 06
Ikwerre... Am 39 years old and today is my first time to write nor type the word ikwerre, the fact and truth is that ikwerre are also looking at state creation just as ANIOMA Is pushing to get its homogeneous state, now they have remembered that ngwa and etche are their siblings... Nigerians dont reason fast, they now need those to make a state with becos of fear of minority status
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by LordPsalm(m): 10:27am On Jul 06
The most stupid thing i've ever seen in Igbos is forcing people who hate u to be a part of them.

I will NEVER support Biafra unless its among the 5 eastern states.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Whalis: 10:30am On Jul 06
Anselemchi:
Nigeria major languages are classified into three wa for Yoruba and related , zo for Hausa and related bia for Igbo and related,
Once u said bia for come u re Igbo, irrespective of oil, politics and location,
Igbo is a nation of many dialect in Enugu alone their about 54 dialect, there is nothing that makes someone from Anambra more Igbo than someone from Rivers , Delta Ebonyi or even Abia, every language have dialects it's in Yoruba , Hausa

Come to Igbo Nsuska has their dialect, Ezza has nkanu has Nike, nnewi , Ngwa ohafia Akpugo etc but what's make one Igbo is found in culture , mode of dressing, deity, market days, names food and dialect similarity if Igbo , I am an Ezza man and 98 percent of ikwerre language(dialect) is d same as mine I can speak it without stress
Does any Igbo community use Va for come?
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Ojuntana: 10:31am On Jul 06
Remman:
Simply, the Igbos invaded our land. That's what invaders do, they force their names and religion on you. If you doubt, go and ask the north who were invaded by Fulanis who forced Islam on them and today almost all of them bears the name Alhaji, Muhammad, etc. (invaded religious related names). The Igbos all ran away at the heat of the civil war and their evil plot failed. We the indigenes stayed and defended our land.
There was no invasion in the North. Stop saying what you do not know. The jihad that started in 1804 was supported by majority Hausas.
Now can you point to any historical records of when Ikwerreland was invaded by Igbos. I've not read that anywhere
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Ngozi123(f): 10:33am On Jul 06
004gist:

If he should carry drug now u will call him igbo.

They should develop another language and name and stop answering igbo names

Exactly. They can't keep playing these chameleon tricks. Let them be a distinct minority group with no links to the Igbo ethnic group.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Morbeta11(m): 10:33am On Jul 06
The funniest aspect of the news is that those making the disclaimer bears Igbo names 😂

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by hammer567: 10:35am On Jul 06
Slytiger:
Good one from the Ikwerre elders. Just hearing the facts of how they migrated from Bini.

AFTER YOU FINISH WRITING GOOD ONE JUST BECAUSE THEY DENY BEING IGBO PEOPLE, PLEASE DO US A FAVOUR, COME AND CARRY THEM FROM OUR LAND TO SW REGIONS.

IF YOU FAIL IN THAT TASK THAT IS WHEN YOU KNOW IN THIS LIFE, YOU CAN NEVER ATTAIN GREATNESS.

YOUR HEART IS FULL OF EVIL.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Gerhards: 10:35am On Jul 06
Soliddust3030:

You lack comprehension, I never spoke about Ngwa people or Ikwerres. I was talking to the other poster about Agbor, Igbankes and Iselle uku. I have head about their origins from both the locals and the binis.

You are the one who actually have comprehension issues, go and open another thread for Agbor, Igbankes and Iselle uku.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by treatise: 10:36am On Jul 06
Slytiger:
Good one from the Ikwerre elders. Just hearing the facts of how they migrated from Bini.
The binis i read conquered territories upto Nupe kingdom but discouraged conquered territories from speaking bini dialect; if not you'd have seen bini influence from onitsha to Minna.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Wickedlywicked: 10:36am On Jul 06
fnep2smooth:
what oil can cause does not exist, see etche way i dey use leg waka enter go buy cassava for fufu that year. people way dey speak igbo , people way de practices igbo, culture and tradition na igbo. just because of oil, them dey deny their root. i dare not tell my ikewerre GF say se no be igbo.

I no sabi waytin igbo do some people , truly success comes with a lot of hate jealously and envy.

You were making sense ( to yourself tho) until you scored an own goal @bolded
On the contrary, success attracts people to you even if they are jealous and envious of you. You cant call yourself successful if people keep running away from you and dissociating themselves from anything that has to do with you. Chidi, I'm not calling you a failure o but common sense tells us that nobody associates with failure grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Ojuntana: 10:37am On Jul 06
Anselemchi:
my dear oil won't be there for long, political persecution won't last forever, I fear for what there next generation will inherit, nothing like attachment , they are of no benefit to me, we shouldn't rewrite history because of instant benefit

I'm not interested in the politics behind it
I'm actually interested in the historicity
Whether they are igbo or not is not important in the larger scheme of things but I believe as Africans we should at least get our history right
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by Osanoghodua1: 10:38am On Jul 06
They preferred to be affiliated with their brothers from Edo land. Which is better for them, people should stop dragging other tribes to their ethnic.
Re: Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East by hammer567: 10:39am On Jul 06
tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi, Alaafin Of Oyo At Methodist Church For Award Event.PICS / PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake / Ways To Identify SA Tribes By Their Traditional Dance Moves.

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.